Make & Freeze Biscuits: Heaven in a hurry

“I want these hot biscuits and I want them RIGHT NOW!”

If that’s your reaction, you’re in luck. While immediate instant gratification isn’t likely (unless you already know these biscuits’ cold, dark secret), FUTURE instant gratification is a real possibility.

And the secret is…

Do the prep ahead of time, and delay gratification until such time as you REALLY need it.

Biscuits (and scones, and rollout cookies, and drop cookies – yes, chocolate chip) are prime candidates for the hurried baker’s best friend: the freezer.

As is apple pie. And cinnamon buns. To say nothing of sticky buns, and flaky cheese twists, a holiday standout that can appear on the table with drinks just 20 minutes after guests “funexpectedly” drop by.

The holidays are fast approaching. Take some time now (a Saturday afternoon, Sunday’s “football zone”) to plan, prepare, and freeze the treats you’ll want to enjoy in late November and December – when you KNOW you’ll be going in 10 directions at once.

Let’s start with these simple, high-rising biscuits. They’re ideal with eggs, tasty with jam and butter, they make lovely little sandwiches – and they freeze like no tomorrow.

Only with “make and freeze,” there IS a tomorrow – a less-stressed, more enjoyable tomorrow.

One you’ll really appreciate when “tomorrow” is December 24…

Biscuits are amenable to many kinds of flour, including whole grains. Our Perfect Pastry Blend makes particularly tender biscuits, due to its lower protein content (read: less gluten).

And with gentle handling (to tame the aforementioned gluten), our unbleached all-purpose flour makes stellar biscuits, too.

Bakewell Cream is an ingredient you’ll be hard-pressed to find outside New England (or kingarthurflour.com). It’s the secret to Maine’s high-rising biscuits.

Here’s what the manufacturer, New England Cupboard, says about one of its favorite products:

“Bakewell Cream has been a staple in the cupboards of Maine families for generations. This unique leavening agent was created during wartime shortages in the 1940s as a substitute for cream of tartar. Its creator, Byron Smith of Bangor, Maine, named his mixture ‘Bakewell’ because he found that it did just that – bake well!

Honestly, I was never a good biscuit baker, but I swear by Bakewell Cream – and the following recipe, printed right on the can.

Preheat the oven to 475°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment.

Whisk the following in a mixing bowl:

4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Perfect Pastry Blend
4 teaspoons Bakewell Cream*
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

*NOT Bakewell Cream Baking Powder; just plain Bakewell Cream. If you don’t have Bakewell Cream, substitute 4 teaspoons baking powder and omit the baking soda.

Next: cold butter.

We’ll need ½ cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter. I like to flatten it before adding it to the flour mixture; I think flattened butter is easier to work in.

So, whack the cold butter with a rolling pin or other heavy object…

And add it to the bowl.

Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly; some larger, pea-sized pieces of butter may remain intact.

Add 1 1/4 to 1/2 cups cold milk; this time of year, after a long, humid summer, you’ll want to start with the lesser amount of milk.

How come? Flour is like a sponge; in hot, humid weather it absorbs moisture from the air. You’ll find the recipe you used all winter suddenly requires less liquid in summer.

Stir gently, just until the dough comes together. Use a spatula or bowl scraper to scrape the dough into the center of the bowl.

Gather the dough into a ball.

Transfer it to a lightly greased or lightly floured work surface (a silicone rolling mat works well), and fold it over once or twice. Pat it into a ¾”- to 1″-thick square, rectangle, or circle.

Note: I’ve divided my dough in half, since I want to make both square and round biscuits. If you’re patting out all the dough at once, you’ll make a larger circle than the one pictured below.

Cut the biscuits with a 2 1/4″ cutter, or the cutter of your choice.

Gather any scraps, re-roll, and cut additional biscuits, until you’ve used up all the dough.

Unfortunately, re-rolling dough like this does tend to toughen the biscuits. If you’re not heavily into round biscuits – make square ones, and avoid any re-rolling.

Or, rather than re-roll, simply pile dough scraps atop one another, press gently to combine, and cut. Biscuits shaped this way will have odd-looking tops, but will taste just fine.

Shape the dough into a square instead of a round.

Cut squares; a bench knife works well here. But if you’re working on silicone, be careful! Press down gently, lest you cut the mat.

I wonder if you could avoid those rounded corners by patting the dough into a square pan before cutting?

Absolutely. An 8″ x 8″ square pan is just the right size. Pat it in…

…turn it out and cut squares. Or just cut them right in the pan, if you like, and lift them out.

OK, back to our round (and square, and triangular) biscuits.

Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.

Now, you can go two ways here: bake the biscuits right away; or freeze, bag, and bake at a later date.

To enjoy biscuits right away, brush their tops with milk or melted butter, if desired. Bake them for 5 minutes, then turn off the oven. Leave in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until they’re golden brown.

But I think I’ll freeze these biscuits. Cover with plastic wrap, and slide into the freezer.

Once they’re frozen, remove from the freezer, bag airtight, and store in the freezer for up to a couple of months.

[leaves fall off calendar… time passes…]

Man, that was one tough day at work. I need some comfort food, and I need it FAST.

Frozen biscuits to the rescue!

Remove the biscuits from the freezer, and place them on a baking sheet. Brush with milk or melted butter, if desired.

Pssst… Here’s another great thing about freezing biscuits: bake only as many as you need. Looking for 3 or 4 biscuits for your empty-nester dinner? You’ve got ‘em.

Bake the biscuits for 8 minutes in a preheated 475°F oven.

They’ll look half-baked; that’s OK.

Turn the heat off, and leave the biscuits in the oven for another 5 to 8 minutes, until they’re golden brown.

Remove from the oven.

Now those are some nice-looking biscuits!

Apply soft butter. Relax. Enjoy.

How about some variations?

Like cheese?

Toss 1 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese with the dry ingredients and butter, just before adding the milk.

And then there’s chocolate chip. Same deal; add 1 cup chocolate chips to the mixture just before adding the milk.

Once you’ve brushed biscuits with milk, sprinkle the chocolate chip version with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired. I forgot to do it this time, but it totally makes the biscuit.

Frozen biscuits – they’re money in the (food) bank.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Bakewell Cream Biscuits.

comments

1. Teresa F.

Holly molly! I’m a big fan of Bakewell. I couldn’t make a decent biscuit until I started using Bakewell and the recipe on the side of the can. But I had no idea that I could make them ahead, freeze, and bake as needed! This is huge! I can sleep in a little more on those mornings when I want to make biscuits for breakfast! I could make and freeze for friends in need. I could have fresh biscuits any time. My goodness. This is better than sliced bread!

Lots of us biscuit wannabes have been helped by Bakewell and its recipe, Teresa – thanks for adding your enthusiasm here! PJH

2. bottle

Do you need to bring the frozen biscuits to room temperature before baking it in the oven? I didn’t find that information above.

Nope, just stick ‘em right into the oven. They’re small enough that they’ll bake all the way through without over-browning, no problem. PJH

3. mjcarini

Will the technique of turning off hot oven to finish off the biscuits work with a gas oven which cools rather rapidly?

Well, in the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to finish the biscuits, I don’t think the cooling rate of gas vs. electric is going to make a lot of difference, given an oven with sufficient insulation. I guess I’d say, give it a try with your oven, and see; if you need to add a couple of additional minutes with the heat on, you’ll find out. Enjoy – PJH

4. Kim Q

I’ve never heard of Bakewell…my daughter has food allergies, is it possible to read the ingredient list somewhere before I order it?
    Hi Kim,
    Thanks for checking in. Bakewell Cream is sodium acid pyrophosphate and redried starch. It is not kosher, but is gluten free. It contains no dairy, or wine sediment, the starch is corn based. You can also check out Bakewell’s website for more information. Happy baking! ~ MaryJane

5. fran16250

I LOVE Bakewell cream. I find in my convection oven that the temperature is a little high so I use a 425 degree setting. The first time I made them they were burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. My gang ate the bits in between the bad parts anyway.
    Years ago I bought a biscuit cutter from KAF that cuts 6 or 8 biscuits at one time. It is very handy! I have not seen it in the catalog in ahile. Do you still carry it?
    I never would have thought of making them up ahead and freezing them but what an awesome idea!! Thanks KAF!

Fran, I remember that cutter; it was neat, because it didn’t leave any scraps in between, as I recall. I think it made hexagonal biscuits? Anyway, sorry, we no longer carry it… Hope you enjoy some freeze & bake biscuits soon! PJH

1. Fran Ferree

The hexagon shaped biscuit cutter is available on eBay under biscuit cutters. This is also the shape of Bob Evans biscuits. I ordered one of these.

6. bwhite50

Fantastic. I have Bakewell Cream at home but I need to check the expiration date, otherwise will have to compile a new KAF catalog order (so sad!). By the way, I have to ask this…..I have the KAF rolling mat, which I love love love, but I noticed you are using a metal biscuit cutter and metal bench knife in the photos. I’ve always been afraid to do that for fear of cutting the mat – do you have a secret? Just less pressure? And while we are on the subject, when I store my mat I roll it up between two old kitchen towels to keep it from sticking to itself.
    You should be fine cutting gently with a bench knife and the cutters, but I would avoid using a knife. ~Amy

I’m always REALLY careful to bear down GENTLY when cutting on the silicone mat – firm enough to get to and through the bottom of the dough, but no firmer than that. Tanks for the towel tip! PJH

7. simpkinsv

I just ordered my second can of Bakewell Cream. These biscuits are even better than my mom’s, and that’s saying a lot. I like the idea of cutting in squares and not having to re-roll. I always get stuck with the funny looking biscuits that have been re-rolled twice, haha. Thanks! KAF’s website is my favorite.

8. becloach

I saw this recipe in the catalog which arrived in the mail yesterday and hope to try it soon. I have tried freezing biscuit dough in the past unsuccessfully. I did notice in the catalog that no temperature was given for baking the biscuits.
    I’m sorry for the confusion. The representation in the catalog is actually just a method and not a specific recipe, which is why you don’t find ingredient measurements or a baking temperature. On the bottom of the page, you will see the reference to biscuit recipes online to which you can apply this method shown in the catalog. I hope this clarifies things. ~Amy

9. simpkinsv

Made me hungry enough to want to make a batch now, so I got out my Bakewell Cream and noticed that the recipe on the can says shortening (rather than butter). I’m trying it with butter this time, and will split the batch, one plain to freeze for later, and one with cinnamon sugar and raisins for right now!

10. Aaron Frank

I’ve always frozen pie crusts and scones but never tried biscuits before so this is a good excuse.

Can I use Bakewell as a general purpose substitute for baking powder? And is it double-acting or only heat activated?

Have you ever thought of making a silicone pad like the one in the article with concentric circles on one side and a grid in one or half inch increments on the other for square things?

Thanks
    Bakewell cream is a chemical that behaves similar to cream of tartar. It is not a direct substitute for baking powder, but used together with baking soda, can provide a perfect leavening combination. Thank you so much for your great silicone mat suggestion. ~Amy

11. Brenda

When I make biscuits, it’s usually a double batch of Bakewell Cream made with half butter and half shortening. Bake, individually wrap, & freeze. Think next batch only half will be baked (to grab to go with a take-to-work meal or for a terminally lazy meal at home), and leave the rest unbaked to throw in the toaster oven as needed. Thanks!

I haven’t tried these with shortening, Brenda – due to its higher melting point, I bet shortening biscuits would rise even higher. Thanks for adding your feedback here – PJH

12. jswc

Can’t imagine why I never thought about freezing unbaked biscuits, but this will be the perfect solution for my Christmas brunch, when sausage gravy & biscuits are an absolute requirement. With a half-dozen other entree choices (along with all the accoutrements) to fix for 2 dozen people, baking homemade biscuits on Christmas morning is not even a consideration. I’ve been using purchased biscuits from the Amish bakery, which aren’t bad, but I’d much rather serve my own homemade ones.

I was intrigued to read that the Bakewell Cream was developed as a substitute for cream of tartar. Would cream of tartar be a better substitution in the biscuits than baking powder?

Thanks, Jeanne from NJ

Glad we could help with your holiday planning, Jeanne! As for cream of tartar – you might try it, with the baking soda; I think it would work, though I haven’t tried it. Good luck – PJH

13. daphnewoman

Oh Yeah!! I got the freezing idea from your Baking Book – one of the best ideas EVER!!! I love to know that I have biscuits ready to bake. Freezing the shaped cookies is also a winner with me. KAF is simply the BEST!

14. 1ginny

I have an old can of Bakewell Cream. How can I check to see if it is still viable? I have been buying frozen biscuits and now my mouth is watering to make my own and freeze them for that late night snack. YUM. Butter and Jam on them.

You can’t really check, Ginny, so far as I know. My can is several years old and it still works; since there’s no baking soda in it, it has less chance of “losing its fizz” than regular baking powder… PJH

15. Sarah

Another useful post! Thank you! Biscuits are a staple food in our household, served with soup or stew, with breakfast, or on their own. One of my favorite breakfasts is leftover biscuits, sliced and toasted golden brown, with butter and honey. Oh oh oh!

I have a sore wrist and sometimes cutting in the butter is uncomfortable, so I generally make cream biscuits, using heavy cream in place of butter and milk. I use a gentle hand in the mixing, and they come out nice and light, even somewhat flaky.

I had never thought of freezing the unbaked biscuits – great idea! Next time I make biscuits I’ll make a double batch and freeze a bunch.

Regarding cutting the dough: My solution to the scraps left over from cutting round biscuits is to bake the scraps as is, with the round biscuits. They are much beloved by my husband. I notice that when the biscuits come out of the oven, while I am getting the rest of the meal on the table, these little scraps often disappear before I can finish serving. :-) It’s gotten to the point where I make more of these than just “by accident.” If they’re small, they are sometimes a little crunchy. If they’re larger, they’re soft inside but with plenty of golden crust.

I love this blog, not only for the informative posts, but for all the experience and ideas shared in the comments.

Thanks, KA, for providing this resource.

16. Brenda

If I make it to Canada one of these days for Tenderflake lard, will probably make the biscuits with half butter and half lard (Mom always used lard in pie crusts and biscuits), and pie crust will obviously be the Tenderflake recipe rather than whatever recipe I use at the time.

17. Shiyiya

@jswc – I wouldn’t sub cream of tartar in. That would be a LOT of cream of tartar, and I strongly suspect it would make the biscuits taste vile. (I accidentally switched the measurements of baking powder and cream of tartar in my biscuit recipe once, because I was in an unfamiliar kitchen and the containers were the opposite size ratio from what I’m used to. They were horrible, sour and bitter and almost rancid tasting.) My recipe seems to be about half as big as this one, with only two cups of flour to 1Tbsp baking powder 1/2 tsp cream of tartar, but I wouldn’t risk it. Inedible biscuits are really disappointing.

18. Carolenh

Question: Can you follow the same recipe and just add buttermilk instead of reg. milk? Or to make buttermilk biscuits does it take a few different amounts or ingred.? Been on the search for a GREAT buttermilk biscuit receipt. Also, I as well have never heard of Bakewell Cream, going to order it and try it asap. Thanks! Always, LOVE the blog!

Carole, usually you’d change the baking soda amount a bit when switching to buttermilk, but readers have said they just go ahead and use buttermilk in this recipe without adjusting anything, and they come out fine. I say go for it! PJH

19. Sandy

I had the privilege to shop at the KAF store last week while visiting my grands in New Hampshire (my dau-in-law and I love coming over to the store). While there, y’all were making these biscuits. One word…WOW! So good, so flaky. Can’t wait to make this recipe now that I am back home in NC. BTW…let’s keep it a secret as to how much I spent in your store…what the hubby does not know won’t hurt him!!! Just kidding…he does not care how much I spend as he knows it is a highlight for me to go there and shop.
    Sandy, I won’t tell your hubby if you won’t tell mine ;) ~ MaryJane

20. nancymarr

I’m a biscuit lover and can’t wait to try the frozen biscuits! About the leftover, odd shaped ones: we learned to make biscuits in home-ec class in junior high (many years ago!). We learned that after you cut out all your biscuits, gather up the scraps and leave it in whatever shape you like. This is called the “crazy biscuit” and I still make one every time I bake biscuits!
    Fun! Thanks for sharing. :) ~Jessica

21. sophia greenfield, southold, ny

best web site I’ve seen for cooking….longtime fan of King Arthur, but now even moreso because the company is employee owned. Will try the biscuits soon….that’s my weekend treat, but as it gets colder oven will be working more. Many thanks to all that make this site and this company so special. sophia greenfield, southold, ny. The step by step instructions and visuals make for an almost full proof product….and I like the idea of turning off oven and letting them finish in an oven that is, actually, up to temp for a good while. Great Yankee thinking.

22. milkwithknives

Hooray! Excellent biscuits! I’ve never been great at them, but this recipe with the Bakewell Cream came out very well indeed. We froze most of them (never tried that before) and just baked as many as we wanted last night, which was a wonderful and easy treat. The longest part was heating up the oven! The frozen ones were just as good as the fresh, and my husband casually suggested that we keep a batch in the freezer at all times. Absolutely delicious with sorghum syrup, which I’ve just been introduced to, and I’m eager to try them with honey, jam, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. Thanks for the biscuit lesson!

VERY happy to help – Better Biscuit Baking for all! PJH

23. Akagriff

I just made my first batch of biscuits and they were yummy. Iive never made biscuits and I dont have a family legacy of biscuits. My only issue was that my bottoms were overly brown. Why? I used a dark baking sheet, sprayed with pan release and I put the sheet in the lower 1/2 of the oven. We were able to peel off that lower layer to enjoy the biscuit.

Try baking in the upper half of the oven next time. AND you could also “double pan” – set the baking sheet of biscuits inside another baking sheet, for insulation. This always helps… PJH

24. doroughal

If I get that Kindle for Christmas that I have requested it will be due entirely to the Bakewell Cream Biscuit recipe. My husband is a very happy camper. He can reach in the freezer and get out just the number of biscuits that he wants, throw them on a cookie sheet and in a few minutes, have a plate full of delicious biscuits. And to top it off, this is the easiest biscuit recipe I have ever tried.

25. Carol

I normally use another biscuit recipe using KAF white whole flour. Does this recipe lend itself to using this flour?
    You can definitely make your WWW flour biscuits ahead of time and freeze them the same way. The technique works well with nearly all biscuit recipes. Enjoy! ~ MaryJane

26. suzannestauffer

I use home milled whole wheat (usually hard white wheat which would be about the equivalent of KAF White Whole Wheat) So can I sub it straight up for AP flour? I’m going to have to get some of the bakewell cream. So neglected here in Indiana!

Suzanne, home-milled wheat is whole wheat; all-purpose flour has the bran and germ removed. You’d get very different results using your home-ground grain in this recipe, but heck, why not give it a try? You may like the results eve better than the original! Enjoy – PJH

27. suzannestauffer

Or would something like freshly ground pastry flour be better?

Suzanne, freshly ground soft wheat would be better, but it would still be very different. The bran/germ add strong flavor, dark color, and interfere with rising a bit due to their bran cutting the gluten. As I said give it a try – you may be pleasantly surprised. PJH

28. LLLoves2cook

Can’t wait to try this recipe, which will happen the minute after I get my Bakewell Cream! There are only 2 of us at home, and often my leftover baked biscuits just get donated to the birds. This freezer method will not only insure I get my biscuit-fix at will, but will reduce waste. Sorry birdies!

29. thewheelman84

These actually freeze very well. I made a batch and froze them. I’ve been making them on demand since then. Its great for a quick snack right after work. :D

I’ve made the recipe and they are great when either freshly made or made from the freezer.

30. oldone

Please – being on a very salt-restricted regime, There is probably more sodium in the Bakewell Cream than I should have without adding salt.

Has anyone tried omitting the salt in the biscuit recipe?

Oldone

Oldone, the biscuits should “behave” the same without salt – they just won’t taste the same. So go for it, if you feel you need to – PJH

31. oldone

Oldone again: Thanks. And, yes, I’ll do it without the salt. I omit salt from everything I cook, and most always eat at home as the best way to avoid salt.

Years ago one of your bakers advised me that when baking yeast breads I could cut the salt in half but not omit it completely. I’ve followed that advice with great success. My favorite loaf is your Italian Sesame Braid, though it works equally well as a round or elongated sandwich loaf.

Oldone

32. thefiverogers

I go on biscuit binges occasionally and all it takes is a photo on the KA home page to get me started again. I have read through the blog to update myself since my last binge and love the idea that the recipe fits an 8×8 pan creating the correct 3/4″ depth! No more problems achieving the perfect dough thickness! Wow. Questions: 1. I often see biscuit recipes where the food processor is used to cut in the butter, what do you think? Would this make a difference? 2. I also know (when using a round biscuit cutter) not to twist the cutter since apparently it effects the rise. I notice that the square biscuits in your blog look alot like mine, where one side or corner is down. Is this caused by not making a clean cut? Suggestions for minimizing this? Should I spray oil on bench knife? 3. Noticed some comments on using shortening vs. butter. If I use shortening should I chill it first?
    4. The directions in the blog say after dumping dough onto lightly floured surface to “fold the dough a couple times”. Do you roll it out, fold, re-roll? Or just fold it over as a chunk? Thank you KA and community!

1. Food processor would work fine – I actually like to use frozen butter and the coarse shredding attachment.
    2. Caused by not trimming the edges once I patted out the dough. I just did this last week, and thought to myself, “Hmmm, ought to trim off those edges so the biscuits rise evenly…” I think dipping in hot water might work better than spraying oil – give it a try.
    3. Yes, definitely chill whatever fat you use. Shortening should make a higher-rising biscuit (due to its higher melting point), but one not nearly as flavorful, in my opinion.
    4. Grab, give it a few whacks to flatten, and fold like a letter; just adds some nice layers.
    Enjoy- PJH

33. thefiverogers

One more question – does the 8×8 inch pan fit a whole recipe or half? At one point in the blog you say that you are using half for circles and half for squares.

I do believe the 8″ x 8″ pan fits half the dough… but my memory may be faulty. Pat in half the dough, and if it’s about 3/4″ thick, you’ve got it. PJH

34. thefiverogers

Finally made these biscuits – yes delicious! Froze half, but they did not last long, kids wanted them again the next day! I found that cooking frozen biscuits 8 minutes was a little too long for my oven, 6 or seven kept them from over browning, then left in 0 degree oven for 8 minutes. I used all (frozen) butter and shredded with food processor into sifted dry ingredients. I notice that KA recipe does not have sifting while the Bakewell Cream can does. The food processor does not really save on time or clean up so I will try your flattened butter technique next time. The 8×8 pan idea did not really pan out for me (ha, ha), though I will say that it must have been a little bit more than half of the dough in an 8×8. Trimming really makes a difference in rise, but oh how we hate to have any scrap. Thank you again PJH for all the pointers, I think I am ready to move on to cinnamon chip biscuits!

Thanks for doing this action research in your home kitchen! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

35. ErinCombs

I have been making biscuits from scratch for years, but the recent discovery that my son is lactose intolerant put a severe crimp in my baking style! Can these be made with a milk alternative? I have tried some traditional recipes with alternatives with some success, but have also had some failures. I just wondered if anyone else had tried this, yet, or will I be in the test kitchen???

I feel like we are always in the test kitchen! In this case I would say trying an almond or a soy milk may work, but I have not tried this method myself.-JDB

36. ErinCombs

Alternative milk update: My son and I made the biscuits with unsweetened almond milk and went ahead and froze them just to see what would happen. I baked some this morning right out of the freezer and they turned out just fine! They were a touch dry, but I think I just needed to use a bit more milk. Next time I will use the full 1 and 1/2 cups. I did use butter to make them, so this wouldn’t actually qualify as dairy-free, but it is VERY low in lactose. WIN! Thanks for another great recipe!
    Thank you for the good news Erin! That is super. Elisabeth

37. JV

So I have been attempting biscuits for a couple of weeks now, looking to add them to my cafe’s baked goods selection. I have been using a Southern Buttermilk recipe and it works pretty well, but only if I bake the biscuits straight away. If I freeze the unbaked biscuits and then try to bake them later, they do not rise nearly as much, maybe only increasing 10% as opposed to the 50% that occurs when I bake them “fresh.” Any ideas? Thanks.

They might be drying out in your freezer. Make sure they’re VERY well wrapped (plastic, then foil); and only keep frozen for 2-3 weeks before baking. Good luck – PJH

38. Laurie Berry

Need to make biscuits for 100 people-200 biscuits. And I’m not a biscuit maker! Ovens will have all they can handle with the entree. Can I make, bake and freeze then thaw them in a warmer? Really don’t want them to turn out rock hard or dry. Appreciate help:)

Laurie, best to make, freeze, then bake fresh just before you go to the event. Could you possibly do that? No need to rewarm if you do it that way, though you certainly could if you like. If you absolutely have to bake them ahead then freeze, thaw at room temperature, then gently rewarm, covered in foil, just before serving. Good luck! PJH

39. Veronica Pruitt

Is it possible to mix dry ingredients for bisquits, including baking powder, cream of tarter and baking soda ahead of time to store in container, then add wet ingredients and bake? I think I saw recipes for various soups, granola cereals and such many years ago with the dry ingredients in Mason jars presented as gifts with recipe included and all the receiver had to do was add wet ingredients and bake. Also which King Aurthur flour would be best for this?

40. Norda

I must travel over 3 hours and bring biscuits to an event. Is possible to bake the biscuits to a “brown-n-serve” stage and then finish them upon arrival at my destination?

Norda, if it’s just 3 hours, I think I’d make the dough, shape, and put in the pans, then keep as cool as possible while traveling. Bake when you get there. If you’re using baking powder (rather than baking soda), they should have plenty of leavening power to be able to sit for 3 hours… PJH

41. Norda

Thanks for the quick response. I’m trying to find Bakewell now to use. So can I freeze the biscuits and then put them into pans and keep them as cool as possible and bake in 3 hours as well? Thanks, again.

1. Amy Trage

Yes, having them frozen prior to traveling would be ideal because they would stay colder. Keep them in a cooler with ice packs if at all possible. Biscuits come out really well when baked from frozen. ~Amy

42. susan

I can only get 350, 377 and 500 broil on my oven. Could I bake these successfully at 377, or would they not rise well?

1. MaryJane Robbins

377°F should be okay. They won’t puff as much but will still bake through just fine. ~ MJ

43. laura semana

I use ka whole wheat flour, without adding any white flour. when I’ve tried freezing my biscuits in the past they always come out tough. But I always cook them for 12-13 minutes in the oven. I don’t have access to the bakewell cream so Ill have to use baking pwd and soda. Is there a trick to using strictly whole wheat flour to get fluffy biscuits especially when you freeze the dough?

Unfortunately, whole wheat flour does not make for very tender biscuits when frozen or otherwise. If you wish to use 100% whole wheat, I would suggest to try a whole wheat pastry flour and see how it works for you. Jon@KAF

44. lmtslc

This is a great recipe! But I am in Salt Lake City, UT and dealing with high altitude and dryness. I had to add a full 2 cups of milk just to get it to come together. Do you hav any other suggestions on this recipe for my climate?

45. Leslie

I have been making biscuits with BakeWell cream and King Arthur Flour. I have been using 1/2 cup of Crisco for shortening. Can you use lard and if so, how much do you put in?

46. Janice

Is it best to use a dark or shiny baking sheet for these biscuits? What kind of baking sheet are you using in the picture? These biscuits are great!

PJ used a fairly light colored pan when she baked these. If you have an older, darker pan, you may want to check your biscuits just a little earlier.~Jaydl@KAF

47. reba

Have to make at least 100-150 biscuits for a community fund raiser. IF I chose not to freeze but to bake right away, How long can I make these ahead of time and store in fridge (until ready to bake)? Can I make them a day ahead? or do you recommend freezing IF I cannot bake right away?

For best results, I recommend freezing over storing in the frig if you are not able to bake right away. Good luck with the community dinner reba! Elisabeht@KAF

48. Selkie

I have two more variations for you.
    If you make the biscuits with half cream and half milk, they make a very nice shortcake for strawberry (or peach, or blueberry) shortcake.
    I also like them baked on the top of chicken stew as a chicken cobbler. They are brown and crispy on top, and soft and delicious underneath!

49. robin anzelone

I am trying to find out if wine biscuits and Italian pepper biscuits can be frozen and should they be baked first then frozen,

Robin, yes, they can be frozen. Since they’re so dense, I think it’s easiest to bake first, then wrap very well and freeze; they’re less likely than other cookies to break in the freezer, or pick up off odors. Good luck! PJH

Yes, these biscuits can be frozen! Bake first, then freeze the cooled cookies – as with most cookies/biscuits, use them within a month or two (will they last that long?). Happy baking! Irene@KAF

50. Keturah

Since Bakewell Cream was a cream of tartar substitute would you get a better result substituting cream of tartar instead of baking powder if its not possible for you to wait until you can get Bakewell Cream to make these biscuits?

51. janet

Just wanted to throw out this alternative method for cutting in the butter. You can take a stick of frozen butter and grate it with a course grater and mix with the flour mixture. Easier on the hands and wrists and a lot less working of the ingredients. It has really made my biscuit making easier.

52. Jonne Lerner

If I want to add your cheese powder to the cheddar bisquits, do I have to reduce the amount of flour by the same amount. Also how much cheese powder do you recommend? Thank you, Jonne’

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi there,
      Try swapping out 1/4 cup of cheese powder for 1/4 cup of your flour to start with. You can then see how you like the flavor and add more or less powder next time. ~ MJ

Bakewell cream is a gluten-free product, so theoretically, yes you can use it in a gluten-free biscuits recipe. However, the other leaveners would need to be adjusted so when you’re ready to give this product a try, call our Bakers’ Hotline at 855-371-2253 to discuss the other changes you would need to make. Happy biscuit baking!–Kye@KAF

53. Bonny

Great post. I looked up freezing biscuits and found your article.
    Biscuits are now in the freezer. Except for the 4 that I left out for mis morning snack.
    I used WW Pastry flour for 1/4 total amout of flour.
    With this recipe I substituted same amount of cream that had soured for the milk and use 1/2 fat as lard. Good results.
    Instead of pounding the butter I grate it into the dry mix with my box grater.
    Thanks for super post with great photos and solid information.