Haunted Hot Chocolate Mix: devilishly good sippin'

MonsterHotChocolateC2W

I admit it, I’m a fiend. Pointy tail, forehead horns, spinning head, the whole 9 yards.

What, pray tell, turns your mild-mannered baking blogger into such a creature?

Chocolate. Or more specifically, lack of chocolate. I’m pretty sure that sometime in the Dark Ages, one of my French ancestors was cursed with the love of chocolate and would turn into a howling mess if more than 24 hours passed without chocolate in some form passing their lips.

Mais oui, c’est vrai! (But yes, it’s true!) I don’t remember my mother suffering, so it may have skipped a generation or two, but I know for sure that one key to keeping me in my right mind is regular doses of good old theobroma cacao.

If I haven’t been baking brownies, cake, or chocolate cookies, sometimes I have to settle for a quick fix of a chocolate bar, or even a handful of chocolate chips. Chocolate ice cream will do the trick in summer, and nothing soothes the savage beast in me during the cold months like a rich, decadent cup of hot chocolate.

While I do enjoy taking the time to make my hot chocolate from scratch, chopping a piece of chocolate by hand, measuring out a big spoonful of sugar, etc. there are times when the clock is ticking towards the witching hour and I need my special concoction in a hurry.

Enter this Monster Hot Chocolate Mix. It has all the best ingredients that you would use for an extraordinary cup of chocolate, but pre-mixed for convenience. It keeps for months (not that it usually lasts that long), and makes an excellent gift for Morticia, Gomez, Uncle Fester, and all of the boys and ghouls on your holiday list.

Let’s whip up a batch.

In the bowl of your food processor place:
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 ½ cups good quality semi-sweet chocolate

Add 3/4 cup chopped milk chocolate.

Pulse in 3 to 4 second bursts until the mixture resembles chunky granola. Process on high for 1 minute.

Add 1 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa, and a pinch of salt (optional); process  for another minute.

(No Double-Dutch cocoa? No fear, just use your favorite unsweetened baking cocoa).

The mix will look like brown sugar: moist, and with more texture than plain powdered mixes.

To make 1 cup of cocoa, heat 8 ounces of milk to a simmer and add 1/4 cup of your hot chocolate mix.

Whisk constantly until the chocolate is melted and the milk is hot. Keeping the milk in motion will prevent scorching.

Ready to top your treat? Sure, anyone can plop in whipped cream or marshmallows, but remember, YOU are a kitchen wizard!

Let’s start by cutting a large marshmallow in half with kitchen scissors. A spritz of cooking spray on your scissors will help with any sticking.

Turn the marshmallow sticky side up and press two “eyes” into the center. I’ve used mini peanut butter cups here, but chocolate chips and M&Ms would work well too. If you want to go all the way, try cinnamon red hots for a true horror movie look.

“And I’m packing your angry eyes, just in case.” Like Mr. Potato Head, having a good pair of angry eyes can do the trick sometimes. Our edible Foodoodlers markers can be used to add details to your peepers, too.

Plain hot chocolate is outstanding any day of the week; Halloween calls for something special…

SEE what I mean?

All in favor, say EYE!

If having your drink stare back at you isn’t your cup of cocoa, try adding some decorated marshmallows to your cup. Coloring on marshmallows is a snap with Foodoodlers. I once made colored marshmallows on a stick for a bake sale, and they were a hit!

Having a Halloween party? Haunted Hot Chocolate would make a great party favor. Fill your jar 2/3 full with the hot chocolate mix, then press two eyes up against the glass. Getting them to stick a little is helpful when you fill the rest of the jar. Use a skewer to push some mix between the eyes to fill in. Top with a fun Halloween fabric print, or even fake fur for all out fun.

This recipe will make a 6 cup batch, enough for 2 dozen 8-ounce servings.

Be sure to include a tag with instructions. Remember, I’m watching you!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Monster Hot Chocolate Mix.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Aaron Frank

Another great idea for Halloween from King Arthur!

Do you chill the chocolate so it doesn’t melt when in the food processor?

Have you ever tried adding some powdered vanilla to the mix? Or cinnamon? Or maybe some cayenne pepper if you want to be really devilish.

Thanks
    Hi Aaron,
    I didn’t chill the chocolate, it was just straight from the pantry. I didn’t experience trouble with melting when blending, but if you are in a warmer climate you may need to chill it a bit. You know, I never thought of vanilla powder, but I did think of the cinnamon, or a drop of mint extract in the mix. Soooo many possibilities, and a long winter to try them all. ~ MaryJane

2. "Paul from Ohio"

“….one of my French Ancestors…” Oh really? I didn’t know there was French ‘back there’ in your family? Super creative lady you are. Who knew you could make such good fun with something as simple as Hot Chocolate! Brilliant! And eyes peeping from inside the glass…………yeow! How many ways could that be used as a creative expression for kids parties!?
    Mais oui, my mother’s family is French. Hence my love of chocolate and more chocolate. I would love to see a whole table full of monsters, it would be a hoot! Hope you are recovering from your trip. TTYL ~ MaryJane

3. GoodFoodStories

LOVE the Toy Story reference!
    Hi Casey,
    I’m a sucker for all things Disney and Pixar. My husband hit me with “somebody poisoned the water hole” last night, and had me cracking up! ~ MaryJane

4. kd8ejt

For those of us without a food processor, what would you suggest we use to chop & blend everything together?
    A blender would also work well for this. ~Amy

5. Mary Ann

Do you need to store the mix in the fridge?
    Hi Mary Ann,
    No need for the fridge, this mix is fine on the shelf in an airtight container. Enjoy!~ MaryJane

6. bettybrzoska

All this time I’ve been bemoaning my mother’s, shall we say, carb-unconscious Irish ancestors for my sweet tooth but now I know who’s really to blame…The French!

I wonder which one of those lassies had a liaison with the monsieur from Marseille? Oo la la

This actually looks like a really cute idea, and I absolutely love the word “foodoodler”. I may have to buy some for the name alone.
    Hi Betty,
    Foodoodler is like chupacabra. Regardless of what it means, you just have to say it a few times for the fun of it! :) ~ MaryJane

7. Amber

Has there been any talk over in King Arthur land about adding weights to recipes? It would be so wonderfully helpful in recipes like this. What does 3/4 cup of chocolate look like.
    3/4 if it were melted, chopped in big chunks, small chunks? Anyhow, the recipes you guys share are delightful, just thought I would share my overly specific opinion. :)

Amber, all of our recipes on our recipe site include both American and metric weights. Some of the blogs, when they’re not a recipe but more of a technique, don’t include weights -but you bring up a good point, weights should be included everywhere. 3/4 cup of chopped chocolate, by the way, weighs 4 1/2 ounces. Hope this helps – PJH

8. Wendy Baker

Ah, so cute. I think the eyes will work great in any cup of chocolate this weekend.
    Have fun with whatever beverage you choose to use the eyes in. Here’s lookin’ at you! ~ MaryJane

9. glpruett

Oh, my goodness–you’ve made my day! I absolutely LOVE the “eyes” looking out of the gift jar. I have my Mom’s Group from my church coming over on Friday, and I’m going to greet them with a tableful of “eyes” from which they can choose a jar to take home for a hot chocolate treat with their families!!!

And, thanks for the reference to the French connection and chocolate. I never knew I could blame my father’s family on my chocoholic-ness!
    I hope you’ll send a photo of the platoon of monster jars. I’d love to see it! ~ MaryJane

10. gaitedgirl

Wonderful idea!! They will be a great addition to my Christmas gift giving (maybe not the eyes though….

Here’s my question – if I wanted to make white hot chocolate, I would need to add some vanilla powder, I do believe. Any clues on the amounts that I should begin to tinker with?
    I’d say add about 1/2 cup of white chocolate powdered coffee creamer. I didn’t want to put it in the original recipe, but I think each baker can decide if it works for them. ~ MaryJane

11. Aaron Frank

Could I mix in dry milk with this and then just add water? For when I don’t have or can’t bring the real thing with me?

Thanks
    I would suggest adding powdered coffee creamer. It blends into hot water better than dried milk, and is much “richer” tasting. ~ MaryJane

12. dmurray407

How much powdered creamer would you add in the place of milk (for the entire recipe)-we don’t have a microwave at work but we have a hot water dispenser. I think this sounds so much better than the Nestles Hot Cocoa mix we usually have on hand :)
    Thanks!
    Deb
    Hi Deb,
    You’ll have to play with the amount of creamer a bit, but I’d say start with 1/2 cup of powder to begin with. You can always add more to each individual cup to suit each person’s tastes. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

13. Ericka

The marshmallow eyes are so cute I just had to try them! Unfortunately when I used mini peanut butter cups, the marshmallows were too top-heavy and immediately flipped over, eye-side down. Not as cute – but still delicious (and my hot chocolate turned into PB hot chocolate – mmmmmm). Any tips? Or should I just stick to chocolate chips?
    Who would disagree with the combination of PB and chocolate??? Maybe you can really cram the PB cups in the marshmallows so as not to capsize? Have fun, Ericka. Elisabeth

14. Nan

I was really excited to try this but had to wait until I could get some cocoa (the store was out of my favorite brand . . .)
    But I found it to be way too sweet for my taste! I used all bittersweet chocolate and no milk chocolate and ended up doubling the amount of cocoa. Next time I will cut the sugar amount in half and that should make it about right.
    (But my norm is hot cocoa with a LOT of cocoa and not much sugar).

15. MarkC

I second the request for weights in the recipe. Where I live, the chocolate comes from France, and is not chips but lozenges, so I’ll have to fudge the measurement. Thanks.
    For all of the recipes on the site, just above the ingredients list, you can click the bullet to see volume, ounces or grams for the whole recipe. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

16. MarkC

Sorry, noticed it after I made the posting.

Tried this last night and it came out great. I ended up using equal amounts milk chocolate and semisweet chocolate and cut the sugar in half. It was plenty sweet and chocolatey. Kids loved it. Next time might add some peppermint essence (or a shot of chartreuse).