Gluten-Free Pie Crust: EVERYONE gets a piece of the pie.

Now, I ask you-

Does this slice of pecan pie look any different than most pecan pies you’ve baked and enjoyed in the past?

Aside from the fact it’s made with chopped rather than whole pecan halves (personal preference), I’ll bet you can truthfully answer no – it doesn’t look any different than a typical slice of pecan pie.

And does it taste any different?

Well, I’d guess it tastes better than the plastic-wrapped, palm-sized mini pies you get at the the gas station. And I’d wager it tastes better than the pecan pie you’ve had at your local diner. It might even taste better than your mom’s special, once-a-year-at-Thanksgiving pecan pie.

Which makes me really happy, because this pecan pie is gluten free.

That’s right – from its flaky, tender, buttery crust to its rich, nutty, vanilla-scented filling, there’s no gluten present anywhere.

Baking Thanksgiving dessert? Need to make it gluten-free? The following pie crust can be filled with any of your favorite fillings. I just happened to choose pecan, but really, the crust is the star of this recipe.

Let’s make it.

Your first key ingredient: King Arthur gluten-free multi-purpose flour, the ideal blend for all your gluten-free baking.

Don’t have it? You’re missing out on a wonderful ingredient.

But you can still make this pie crust, using your own homemade blend of tapioca, potato, and brown rice flours:

*Make your own brown rice flour blend: Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer. The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour.

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it’ll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

Let’s start with the crust. Blend the following:

1 1/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend (above)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Instant ClearJel (optional; not packed in a gluten-free facility)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt

Next, you’re going to add 6 tablespoons cold butter, working it into the dry ingredients. Here’s how:

Place the cold butter on a piece of parchment or waxed paper, and flatten it with a heavy object – a rolling pin works well. Add the flattened butter to the dry ingredients, and work it in with the flat beater of your mixer (or with a pastry fork or blender, your fingers, or the tool of your choice).

Flattening the butter first brings your pie dough halfway to where you want it – flour and other dry ingredients laced with large “flakes” of butter. These flattened pieces of butter will yield a nicely flaky crust.

Whisk together 1 large egg and 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar.

Add to the dry ingredients…

…and stir until the mixture holds together. Add 1 to 3 tablespoons cold water if necessary, to make the dough cohesive.

Shape the dough into a rough disk, and chill for an hour, or up to overnight.

When you’re ready to bake, spray a 9″ pie pan with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

Remove the dough from the fridge, and allow it to rest at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling.

Roll on a piece of plastic wrap, a silicone rolling mat, or in a 14″ pie bag, heavily sprinkled with gluten-free flour or flour blend. Roll until the crust is about 13″ to 14″ in diameter.

Invert the crust into the prepared pie pan, and shape a tall, fluted edge.

Like this.

Next, the filling.

Place 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans on a baking sheet or into a 9″ x 13″ pan. Sprinkle them very lightly with salt. Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, just until you can smell them. Remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool.

Increase the oven temperature to 375°F.

Beat together the following:

4 large eggs
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in the chopped pecans, and pour the mixture into the baked pie shell.

Bake the pie for 45 to 50 minutes, or until it’s puffed, brown, and the center seems fairly set. Keep your eye on the crust; when it’s starting to darken at the top, cover it with a pie crust shield.

Remove the pie from the oven.

Ah, a pie of beauty is a joy forever…

Allow it to cool on a rack. As the pie cools, the center will sink; that’s OK.

Is that not one simply gorgeous gluten-free crust?

And look at how beautifully brown it is, both bottom and sides.

And now, the real test: dig in!

Tasty, yes? And look at how the crust is flaking into shards…

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free Pie Crust.

Note: the recipe for this pecan filling isn’t a formal recipe; it’s a variation sent in by reader Chris Parks. To find it in our archive, check out the “baker’s tips” at the bottom of our Pecan Pie recipe. The Pecan Pie recipe instructions are slightly different than these; they have you pre-bake the crust. I found that’s not necessary with this particular crust, though you can certainly pre-bake if you like.

comments

1. mrsdrake

It’s true! this crust is great.

Another thing we have learned about this crust recipe: rolling it out flat, folding it like a letter (into thirds), folding again (thirds, into a square); rolling it out again, repeat above – creates even more flaky layers. I used that technique when making homemade pop tarts and you couldn’t really tell the difference from “regular” pastry.

We use the at home flour blend; works wonderfully.

2. MGW960W

Sounds yummy! The instructions for baking the pie shell before filling would help here, since you say it goes into a “baked pie shell.”

Also, the best tool for cutting butter into flour that I’ve found is your wonderful Pastry Fork. It is even better than fingers – mine, at least, and will be a Christmas stocking stuffer at my house this year.

Thanks for another great recipe. Your products and people are the best!

It’s true, I didn’t follow the recipe on the site exactly – I didn’t pre-bake the pie crust. Which is fine. There’s almost always more than one way to take a set of ingredients and come up with something tasty! PJH

3. Olivia

Wait, are you pouring the mixture into a baked pie shell or not? The first “pie in oven” picture does not look like it was blind baked. There was also no instructions for the baking the crust if I wanted to.

No, Olivia, I didn’t bake the crust first. “Blind baking” (pre-baking) is an option, but not a requirement. If you want to blind bake, you’ll find instructions in our recipe for Pecan Pie. PJH

4. glendaembree399

Hi PJ! It’s Glenda from Busy-at-Home. I have a pie crust question, not related to this gluten-free post and I wasn’t sure where to ask it. I have been making the pate brisee pastry recipe that we used this summer at Blog and Bake. It’s beautiful for filled pie crusts that need to bake already loaded, but if I try to use it for a pre-baked crust, the sides of the pastry slide down my pie plate and I end up with a lovely, tasty crust, whose sides are very thick and only about 1/2 inch tall. What am I doing wrong? Is there a better pastry for pre-baked crusts? Thanks so much for your help!
    Hi Glenda, good to “see” you again.
    Want to know my funky trick for blind baking crusts? Place your crust in the pie pan as usual, place another empty pie pan on top of it, then flip the whole assembly over. You are basically baking an upside-down pie crust sandwich between two pie plates. Gravity and the pie pan keeps the crust from drooping and everything stays in place. Give it a try, and let me know what you think. ~ MaryJane

MJ’s right, Glenda – I use that trick a lot. It doesn’t work with a tall fluted edge, but a flat edge – fine. The other thing that helps is to use a recipe that’s not all butter; butter has a lower melting point, and the crust slumps before it sets. Try an all-shortening (or shortening/butter) crust; it should work better. Enjoy – PJH

5. Sandy

Great recipe….just in time for Turkey Day! Will use the crust recipe for the pecan pie I will take to my daughter’s that day (she mus eat g-free as is Celiac).

6. dgw

Just curious about two things: (1) is there any reason why I can’t use my Cuisinart for the whole process, and (2) what about making the crust dough ahead and freezing the wrapped disk for rolling out in a few weeks?

You can use the food processor for mixing, but just be sure not to over mix. Yes, this GF crust can be made and frozen for later use. Happy GF Baking! Irene @ KAF

7. debzy

Hi PJ,

I want to share this recipe with my mom, who is gluten-free, but she can’t have dairy, so the butter is out. Any suggestions to make this with something else besides butter?

Thanks for the great gluten-free recipes and the best gluten-free flour ever!

Give it a try with vegetable shortening. Frank @ KAF.

8. "Sheri Lee"

I am going to try this recipe for Thanksgiving! I assume I can make my pumpkin pie filling for it? Also, do you feel I should pre-bake the crust if I am putting the pumpkin in? Thanks!

No need to pre-bake your crust, Sheri – have a great (gluten-free) Thanksgiving! PJH

9. Lisa Pickering

Hello! Your note indicates that you do not need to use the clearjel. Do I need to substitute anything else? What will the difference be without it? Thanks for your help with making a tasty GF pie!
    The Instant Clear Jel is an optional ingredient. It helps to bind the crust together, but is not a necessary ingredient. If you don’t have the Instant Clear Jel on hand, there’s no need to substitute. If you have any other questions, please call our Baker’s Hotline and we’ll be happy to help! ~Mel

10. mbyanow

For a savory pie, would you just make this without the sugar? Does it work just as well in a two-crust pie (double the recipe)? What about as a free-form rustic tart/galette? Does it matter if other pie/filling recipes have a variance in temperature? Thanks! –Michele

Michele, you can certainly leave out the sugar; it helps with browning, and doesn’t make the crust noticeably sweet, but you can definitely omit it. Yes, works just as well when you double it. Yes, works fine for a rustic tart/galette. No, doesn’t matter about temperature variations – as you can see, this is one versatile GF crust! Enjoy – PJH

11. krw

Just wanted to thank you for making such a wonderful product. I made two pies and no one could tell the difference from a regular pie crust. I did not add the clear jel and both pie crust turned out fabulous. Keep up the good work!!!

12. KMB

Love the recipe, but a few questions. Do you know chemistry-wise why most GF pie crust recipes call for egg and vinegar, while regular pie crusts do not? Is the egg for binding or moisture? Also, would the use of vodka help with flakiness like used with regular pie crusts?

Yes, the egg helps bind the crust together in the absence of gluten; and vinegar helps “tighten” some of the other ingredients, helping with structure. I’ve never found vodka to help with flakiness, but if you like using it – go for it! PJH

13. Nicole

How can I make a gluten free pie crust that doesn’t use any rice flour of any kind, tapioca, buckwheat, quinoa or spelt? I am extremely new to gluten free baking and would love to have the occasional treat.
    Thank you for your help.
    Nicole
    I recommend using sorghum flour in this recipe. ~Amy

14. Nicole

Thank you for your help.
    Nicole
    I think using sorghum flour in this recipe would be one of your only options, Nicole. You could combine with millet and amaranth flour also. ~Amy

15. Carrie

Do you think this recipe would work for guava and cream cheese pastelitos? I was thinking of doing several rounds of rolling and folding and then cutting into squares to sandwich the filling. Thanks!
    Yes, I think this would work well for making the pastelitos. They may be a little crisper, though. Elisabeth

16. Eric

Could I use this recipe for a apple and pear cobbler I am adapting for my gluten-free friends who are visiting soon? I usually use a regular pie crust which I think I would prefer over a more biscuit-like bread. Thanks.Yes, just make the cobble the way you usually do. betsy@kaf

17. Suri

Thanks so much for all the info. I’m wondering if I can replace the potato starch with any other flour as I can’t have potato or corn starch in my diet.

Thanks!

Changing the blend will change both the texture and flavor profile. You can try any of your favorite g-f flours as a 1:1 replacement. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

18. sohn

I just tried this crust recipe for my toddler son who has a wheat and egg allergy. I replaced the egg with flax-seed gel. The crust came out pretty well; however, the crust was not as pliable as in your pictures and I could not flute it. Could this be because I used flax-seed gel instead of the egg? All in all, my gluten-free, egg-free apple tart was a winner with my son and the rest of the family. Thanks for helping my son enjoy his first apple pastry!

Any substitution of ingredients may result in a change to the pie crust dough. We know there are many replacements for eggs in recipes, but sadly we don’t have the time to try them all to see if the recipes will work as they do making the recipe as posted (or using the original ingredients). We’re glad the first tour of this recipe met with an enjoyable apple treat and hope the future apple pastries are as enjoyable. Happy GF Baking! Irene @ KAF

19. Denise

I was wandering if anyone has tried this recipe for making apple dumplings? Have not had a lot of success in baking with gluten free baked goods. They tend to be Gerty and tasteless.
    Denise – I think this is definitely worth a try! The pie dough holds together well. Let us know how it goes! Elisabeth

20. Kelly

hi,
    first, i want to say this pie crust tastes almost exact to my mom’s old family recipe so I don’t feel like i am going without for the holidays. =) I do have a question tho. I substituted Crisco for the butter and I am finding that my crust rolls out well but breaks super easy. It can make trying to get it into the pan hard. Could it be the substitution? I have made it twice–once without refrigerating it and just going for it and the other refrigerating it over night. Both broke easily and needed some more water. any suggestions for it to roll out and go into the pan easier?

I think it’s simply the lack of gluten in the flour, rather than the type of fat. The more water you add, the tougher the crust will tend to become; but do add a bit more, to make it easier to handle. Give that a try next time, OK? Good luck – PJH

21. Esther

You make beautiful pies! I’ve always envied those who can. I am making GF pie crust for the first time and after googling for recipes, your’s has won. Thank you!
    Hope the recipe makes you holiday baking a breeze! ~ MaryJane

22. Nancy

Do you have experience with baking the empty pie shell, then freezing, as is, for later use? Because of travel and kitchen considerations, I need to make pies several days in advance of my family’s T Day celebration and am afraid the crusts will become soggy if I make the complete pies more than a day before they will be eaten.
    Thanks!

Nancy, I’d suggest you bake ahead, then just leave at room temperature. Since they’re baked, they’re like cookies – and will do fine at room temperature, well wrapped. Good luck – PJH

23. Josette

Can you make the GF piecrust dough, roll it out, put it in the pan, flute the edges, and then freeze it for filling and baking later? I do this for quiches with regular pie crusts, so I have several ready for filling and baking days or weeks later. Thanks!

Yes, this recipe can be used in the same fashion as a standard pie crust! As such, forming it and freezing will work quite well.-Jon

I wouldn’t keep the filled pie longer than 24 hours, but the filling and pie shell can be kept separately for 2-3 days in your refrigerator. Jon@KAF

24. carrie

I am new to gluten free baking. I purchased the gluten free flour to make bread can that be used instead of the multi purpose mix?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Carrie,
      We would not suggest using our bread mix for this recipe, but our Gluten Free Multi Purpose Flour can be used to make both the pie crust and our sandwich bread recipe. ~ MJ

25. Lisa

Is there any reason why this couldn’t be made in a food processor? I’ve always made my doughs in the FP, but this recipe specifically says to use a beater (or do it by hand.) Thanks!

1. MaryJane Robbins

We’d suggest sticking with the beater/ hand method for this one. The FP can be a bit too much. ~ MJ

I don’t see why not! The baking time will be the same per your hand pie recipe. Jon@KAF

26. Rosemary Brock

It was interesting reading this recipe and the comments. Some of the comments and answers addressed some of my quesitons. I was surprised by the addition of ClearJel in the pie crust recipe as it’s a cornstartch derivitive — but my standard pie crust recipe has cornstarch in it. I first started using ClearJel 40 years ago — but as a means of freezing liquid pie fillings. Cooks/ATK started promoting the use of vodka in pie crust as they claim doesn’t cause the gluten strands to form. Since you’re not using flour — it’s not an issue.

My grandmother came up with a recipe for her non-baking grandkids. She wanted a recipe that anyone would succeed with. I’ll include it here, even though it uses flour. You should be able to substitute the GF flour for the flour in it. There were reasons for all of the ingredients in her recipe the only one I ever remember was the sugar as it made the recipe ‘wetter’. It’s purposely a very wet recipe to make it easier to roll out. You will need to use more flour (or GF option) to roll it out as it’s so wet.

Mix together: 3 3/4 C flour, 1/4 C cornstarch, 1 t salt, 1 1/2 t sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in 2 C frozen Crisco (this is 1 of the little cans; don’t use the butter-flavored one). In a liquid measuring cup, mix 1 large egg & 1 T cider vinegar with a fork to break it up. Add _ice_ water to make 1 C total liquid. Add all at once to the dry ingredients and mix with the fork until just blended. Divide into 4 even portions on sheets of plastic wraps. Using the plastic, bring the dough together and then form into rounds about 6″ across. Rewrap in the same plastic. Refrigerate until ready to roll out. This makes 4 single crusts which freeze wonderfully.

I make this periodically and keep the little rounds in a ZipLoc bag in the freezer. If I need pie crust, I take one or two rounds and defrost them in the refrigerator overnight. They should be rolled out while still cold. I use the same pie crust for everything from traditional apple pie but also as the top crust for homemade pot pie.

27. Susan Lohnes

Can I use Bobs Red Mill egg replacer with this recipe?
    I am dairy and egg as well as gluten sensitive !
    Thanks,
    Susan

We haven’t tried this egg replacer in this recipe, but feel free to give it a try and let us know how it works for you! Jon@KAF

28. KathrynP

After reading all of the comments, I feel confident I’ll be able to revive a favorite–pasties (cornish meat pies, hand shaped). Have fond memories of pasties and port picnic on the stormy shores of Lake Superior. We’ve been missing these since going dairy free & gluten free. My plan is to omit or seriously reduce the sugar, skip the clear gel, use Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread as a substitute for the butter. I’m looking forward to the experience!

Love the blog for each recipe. It contributes to unique communities of cooks and dietary needs. Thanks.

29. Gina

What type of vinegar should I use? Also, can I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer, and if so, what attachment do I use and at what speed…or do you recommend mixing by hand?

This recipe works best by the hand method of cutting in the fat to the dry ingredients and pressing the crust into the pan by hand as well. More questions? Call our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253 -we’re here from 8 AM to 9 PM weekdays and from 9 AM to 9 PM on weekends through the holidays. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

30. helwa

I have made a GF pecan pie using this GFpastry crust (it was excellent). Can I use the same recipe as the base for GF pecan pie bars? If yes, should I prebake the crust and then pour the filling on the partially baked crust? Should I bake the bars at the same temperatrue as the GF pie? Thank you.

Prebaking the crust helps ensure that it will be crisp. I would suggest trying a bake of pecan bars in a 350 degree oven.~Jaydl@KAF