Chocolate caramel stuffed monkey bread: It's National Bundt Cake Day!

Hurray, hurray, it’s a happy day! Today, November 15th is National Bundt Cake day. Join us for a quick look at turning your favorite sweet dough recipe into a choco-caramel filled bundt-tastic celebration of the day.

First make up a batch of sweet dough through the first rise. Pat it out to a rough rectangle approximately 8″ x 10″. Cut into 4 equal long lengths then divide each length into 10 pieces.

Taking one piece at at time, make a little pocket of dough and stuff it with chocolate chips and caramel bits. You can use what you have on hand, no need to make a special trip to the store. All chocolate? No problem. All caramel? Go for it. If you are using square caramels, I’d cut them into pieces with scissors to help fit them in the dough pockets a little easier.

Pinch the bundle closed and roll it between your palms to round it up a bit.

Pile the stuffed dough balls into a well-greased 10 cup bundt pan.

Melt 1/4 cup of unsalted butter and stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Pour the warm mixture over the dough balls in the pan.

Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a clean shower cap and let rise for an additional 30 minutes.

The dough balls will be quite puffy at this time, with a lovely vanilla scent.

Bake the bundt in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Turn the bread out onto a serving platter and let cool for about 5 minutes while you prepare the glaze.

For the glaze blend  2 tablespoons of melted butter, 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and a few tablespoons of heavy cream until you have a pourable consistency. You can use milk for the glaze but the cream is so much smoother and richer, give it a try.

Each little ball of warm dough will have a center of melty chocolate and caramel, so watch out as your family scuffles for the biggest and plumpest pieces.

Make the best of this bodacious bundt cake day with our  Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Monkey Bread. For more bundt recipes, check out Mary the Food Librarian’s site, that is a lady who really loves her bundts!

Please bake, rate and review our recipe for Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Monkey Bread.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. sandra Alicante

That looks so good, I shall have to give it a try. Chocolate, toffee and sweet dough all in one place, heaven!

2. "Paul from Ohio"

Holy SWEETNESS! Is that like to die for or what? MJ you surely do love your chocolate and caramel……………me too! As of yesterday we’re back on WW’s so I’ll need to delay making this awesome gooey ooooey treat………….oh eeeeeeeeeee does this loooooook scrumptous! Maybe I should make one as a treat for my watercolor classmates!!!!?
    I bet they would love it. Be sure to wash up before painting though, or you’ll have sticky brushes ;) ~ MJ

3. ebenezer94

Wow, that looks super-tempting. I only have chocolate chips on hand, so it would have to be all chocolate this time. I have some of your cinnamon mini chips. Wonder if that would work? Too weird a flavor combo? Of course, I really love those in scones, so maybe I’ll just go with chocolate. Is there really such a thing as national bundt cake day?
    I say go for the chocolate cinnamon combo- one of my favorites! ~Amy

4. melissayaroschak

Oh my!!! I’m not a caramel fan but I do have chocolate chips and peanut butter chips that sound perfect for this!!
    Soooo goood! That sounds amazing to me, with maybe a little peanut butter glaze and some chopped salted peanuts on top? When will the madness end!?! ~ MaryJane

5. JuliaJ

Can the dough balls be frozen and then plopped into the pan the night before to thaw/rise overnight and bake the following morning? I’m thinking this would be a great treat for Christmas morning but getting up early to start it off sounds too exhausting! I’d like to serve it hot out of the oven so the choc and caramel are melty-yummy–which wouldn’t be the case if I baked it first and froze/thawed the already-baked cake later.

I’m also thinking to use different combinations of goodies inside each dough ball (some choc, some caramel, some almond schmear, etc.) so it’s potluck what you get!
    Hi Julia,
    I haven’t tried freezing the dough balls individually, but you could make and rise in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning just like for cinnamon buns. That is what I was planning to do for Thanksgiving. Love the idea of “surprise” inside. ~ MaryJane

6. AnneInWA

MaryJane,

I am going to gain 50lbs after eating this! This looks absolutely wonderful. I am thinking of adding some cinnamon chips as well, because well why not? And now I am thinking what about making this with apples, caramel and cinnamon chips? Or cranberries, pears and caramel? Ohhhh the possibilities! And a quick question about the sweet dough…could I substitute the KAF white whole wheat for part or half of the AP?

Thanks MaryJane, now I am back to square one for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day breakfasts!
    I think the WWW flour would be fine for half of the flour in the dough recipe. As for fillings, the sky is the limit. Wait until you taste the crisp butter crust on the finished bread. OH YEAH!!! ~ MaryJane

7. JenWood

I am struggling to stay within my Weight Watchers Points Plus plan since I found this site. It’s making me earn serious APs every day.
    I hear ya Jen! This bread was definitely worth the extra trip up and down the staircase. ~ MaryJane

8. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ, BRAZIL

Marvelous Bread. I’ll go today to my small bakery to try this masterpiece bread baking treat!!
    Here in my city, Petrópolis, BRAZIL, we can feel some new customer’s demand for artisan breads. This is an incipient movement, but it might be a new tendency ,people who searches for comfort foods free of any chemical additives. And what good news! Here in my city, Slow Food Movement started a new ‘Convivium’ group, and i’m proud to be a member of this Petrópolis Slow Food Convivium.

9. aoifeofcheminnoir

LOL
    I’m going to send this to a good friend. One day she was preparing her dough for her family’s umteenth batch of monkey bread which she was heartily tired of making. She makes stuffed cheese and garlic for a dinner version.
    Being the inventive soul she is decided to stuff them with some peach jam and glazed it with a vanilla-peach glaze. Result…family was estatic and a new favorite was started!
    Bet they would love this version! I understand her favorite is lemon marmalade and lemon glaze. Um…I’m going to the kitchen now…..
    Man oh man does that lemon version sound wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. Maybe we should do a “month of Monkey bread” blog. ~ MaryJane

10. JThreadgold

Question regarding allowing the dough to rise in the fridge overnight. What sort of temperature should your fridge be set at in order for this to work? I’ve tried this before but it’s never worked out. I’ve had to pull the dough out of the fridge, then put it in a warm spot for most of the day before it actually rises as it should. Not sure whether it’s because I’m in Australia and my fridge is set colder or what.

Our refrigerators here are generally in the 38°F-40°F range – and yes, you do need to wait for a few hours for them to warm, then rise… PJH

11. Tonia

Ohhh, yum~ I think I’d make a quick caramel sauce for the glaze: 1/4 c, butter, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1 Tbl. honey, 2 Tbl heavy cream — melt in microwave until bubbles about 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds or so. Mmm yummy!

12. ancameni

This is amazing. I had only choc chips at home. So i mixed up bittersweet, semisweet and milk chocolate chips. Deliousness in each bite. But now you sparked my interest with the caramel bits. That is on my list next

13. Pat Wester

Just tried this recipe today and it is delicious. I had the KA caramel bits to use with chocolate chips. However, it would appear that caramel bits are no longer available on the KA site. Is there another form of caramel that could be used?

I do not know of another product that could work the same way as caramel bits beyond chopped soft caramel candies. Though they are something we no longer sell, they can be found from some other online retailers!-Jon

14. Gambles

This Sweet Vanilla Yeast Dough is the very best sweet dough I have ever come across. I’m surprised it doesn’t warrant its own page??!! It is very versatile.

Now I’m looking for a maple sweet dough. I’d like to start with this as a base, but where do I go from there? Should I sub all OR part of the sugar with maple sugar. Is there a way to use real maple syrup? The only thing I know I don’t want to use is maple extract – natural or not – I just don’t like them. Any suggestions?

And most of all. Thanks for a simple and yummy monkey bread!

Suzanne
    Suzanne, what a great idea about the maple dough. I’d say begin with using maple sugar instead of regular sugar and adding about 2 tablespoons of maple syrup for 2 tablespoons of your liquid. Let us know how it works out, it sounds wonderful! ~ MaryJane

15. Gambles

Mary Jane,

You said to let you know so here is my experience….

I followed your suggestions for the maple, but it still didn’t taste “mapley.” I couldn’t believe it since I used both the sugar and syrup. I really don’t want to use an extract.

I decided to use the dough in the same manner as the Cinnabite recipe on this website. I made small nuggets separated into 2 round pans. I put maple syrup under one set of nuggets. I was surprised that the dough kind of got mushy. I was under the impression that I could really use any sweet dough in both cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. The way this dough fell apart made me wonder…. Is there something specifically different in sticky bun dough?? I haven’t tried those yet.

Again as suggested in the Cinnabite recipe, I used the 2nd pan of maple dough bites to make KAF’s Creamy Maple Bread Pudding. That came out ok, but I had trouble getting the center to cook and again, the maple bread kind of fell apart (and not in a good way/sort of mushy)

I guess getting a sweet dough to actually taste like maple isn’t easy. That must be why I can’t find a recipe that already exists! I can only find things with Walnuts (which I hate) or oatmeal (which is fine, but not really sweet.)

At least I had fun experimenting w/ 3 different recipes. I’d love any other suggestions of how to create a dough that actually tastes like maple… Since it is an expensive endeavor, I’d really like to have some idea that what I create will at least be edible. Maybe that can be someone at KAF’s next blog/test!

Thanks so much,
    Suzanne

The trouble with maple syrup is how much water it contains compared to other sugars. The “mushy” factor is likely from doughs that have too many tenderizers in them so that when mixed, they fall apart. I would stick with a pretty simple dough (I love our sticky bun dough: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sticky-buns-recipe) and follow the tips to use maple sugar instead of brown sugar.

Also, you can add some maple syrup to replace part of the water; but I recommend cooking down maple syrup (slowly and carefully!) until it gets quite thick, cool it and use the concentrated syrup in place of 1/4 cup of water. This will intensify the flavors, but you really cannot achieve the “maple wallop” without a little help from a flavoring. I know you do not want to use one, but I can say that a few drops of maple flavoring from a high-quality producer (LorAnn or Boyajian) will give you the boost you need. The flavorings are made from natural compounds: the same ones that form the chemical composition of maple flavor from nature, but in a concise and concentrated form. Otherwise, you may need to use the boiled-down maple syrup in the sticky part of the buns to see if that improves the maple flavor. A bit more experimenting and I’m sure you’ll get there! Best, Kim@KAF