Big Batch Quick Dinner Rolls: Baking buns for a crowd and singin' away

big-batch-quick-dinner-rolls

**hum**

Timer rings, are you listenin’?
On the tray, turkey’s glistenin’
A beautiful sight, we’re happy tonight,
Thinkin’ ’bout a big batch of buns…

Seriously, I think I need to clear space on a shelf for a Grammy for that ditty, don’t you? Wait ’til you hear my rendition of “Baby Got Butter” a.k.a. “I Like Big Buns.”

Other hits include the reggae classic “No Gravy, No Cry;” and let’s not leave out the kiddies with ” The Stuffing and the Buns Go Round and Round.”

Hey, my feeling is when you’re happy enough, you should sing it out; and if it’s food that is making you so happy, sing about the food.

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time of year to be happy as we surround ourselves with friends and family. It’s a busy and hectic time of year here at King Arthur Flour, but we definitely try to take time to let our co-workers and customers know how much they mean to us.

One way that I try to give back is to plan out a recipe or two that I know customers have been requesting via the Baker’s Hotline, emails, Facebook, etc. This year in the kitchen I worked on bringing a few vegetarian options to the table for main dishes, and this recipe for a really big batch of buns.

I’ve been making different versions of this recipe for years now; it’s definitely a holiday staple at our house. It makes a whopping 24 buxom buns, enough to fill a half sheet pan, or four 8″ round pans. My husband always loves to know that after dinner there will be plenty of rolls left to make turkey sandwiches for lunch on Black Friday. And my daughter would rather have a second roll than a second piece of pie. That is definitely worth singing about, in my book.

Another reason to belt out your best Broadway version of “It’s Raining Rolls?”  These beauties are on the table in just about an hour, start to finish. “Hallelujah, it’s rainin’ rolls!”

Let’s make a Big Batch of Quick Dinner Rolls.

You can mix up this dough by hand, or in your stand mixer. In your work bowl, place:

1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 cups warm milk (100°F – 110°F)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons yeast, instant preferred (yes, it’s tablespoons, not teaspoons)

Mix well and let set for about 5 minutes, until nice and foamy.

Using the paddle attachment on your mixer, blend in 5 cups (21 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour. You’ll have a loose, wet dough at this point but it should be quite smooth.

Add additional flour 1/2 cup at a time until you have a soft, slightly sticky dough. Once the dough starts to come together in a mass, switch over to your dough hook to start to develop the structure of the dough.

After about 5 minutes of kneading, give your dough the “doorbell” test. Lightly flour your finger and press into the dough just like you would to ring a doorbell. Just a quick “ding,” not a prolonged “bzzzzzzzzz”. The dough should spring back and fill in the indentation of your finger quickly. If not, knead a little longer and try again.

** If you’re baking the buns today, preheat the oven to 350°F. **

Once the dough is well kneaded, round it into a ball and set it on the counter with your bowl inverted over the top. This makes a handy-dandy little proofing place. You can go the traditional plastic wrap route, but your dough will only be rising about 15 minutes so I try not to waste the wrap on such a short rise.

To test to see if your dough is sufficiently risen, you’ll be using your finger again but this time you’ll be doing a “poke” test. Flour your finger, and press into the dough up to your first knuckle. This time, you’re looking for the indentation to stay in the dough when you pull your finger out.

Pat the dough out to a rough rectangle, about 1/2″ thick. Cut into 4 long strips, then cut each strip into 6 small squares. Voilà, 24 buns in the making.

Roll your dough into 24 buns and pan up the way that works best for you. Here I’ve used 4 bake and give pans, with 6 buns each.

If you’re baking now, let the buns rise for about 15  minutes until they’re full and round. Remember, they still need a little room to grow in the oven, so don’t let them go overboard.

Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden browned and fragrant. Serve warm with plenty of fresh butter and gallons of gravy. “Gravy, gravy, give me your answer true. I’m half crazy (crave-y?), all for the love of you…”

If you’re planning to freeze the buns, only let them rise for about 10 minutes on the counter. Then, wrap well in freezer-safe bags, or a double layer of bread bags. Seal well and place in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.

To bake after freezing, remove the wrapped buns from the freezer the night before you want to bake them and let them thaw in the fridge overnight. Bake at 350°F, adding about 5 to 10 extra minutes to the baking time to account for the chilled dough.

Here’s how I do these rolls at home. A half sheet pan lined with parchment paper holds one batch of rolls perfectly.

I know, at this point you’re expecting me to burst into song one more time, but I’m sorry, I just can’t do it.

Why? I’m too busy eating rolls! So, now it’s your turn to sing about food. Share your best food song, real or made up, in our comments section.

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Big Batch Quick Dinner Rolls.

Looking for other great roll recipes? Check out these favorites: Dark & Soft “Chain Restaurant” Rolls , Ham and Cheese Buns, Honey Whole Wheat Rolls.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. miller0814

Anyone remember the pie song from the movie “Michael”? Andie MacDowell sang it at the table of a diner. “Pie, Pie, me oh my…” :)

This recipe came at the perfect time. I volunteered to make the rolls for Thanksgiving at the in-laws. I just found out that there will be 20 people at dinner. I’m wondering if one batch would be enough since I want to have enough leftover for … well, leftovers! :) These buns look pretty big. Do you think I could get away with making smaller, dinner roll sized buns with this recipe? I was going to do a double batch of your Soft White Rolls but I love the idea of using the half sheet pans instead of all of those cake pans.
    I don’t remember the singing, I remember she said Michael smelled like warm cookies though. You can definitely make the rolls smaller. I usually make the bigger ones for sandwiches for Thursday evening and Friday. If you roll the dough balls as large golf balls, you’ll get nice dinner rolls in the end. Have a great, safe holiday! ~ MaryJane

1. Mary

The recipe looks great-but I have two questions. Oven space is at a premium at our holiday gathering. Will it work to bake the rolls and then freeze them? Is so, what would my before-serving procedure be?
      Also, my goofy family likes to put food coloring in dough on holidays-so green rolls are special. Would food coloring affect this recipe in any negative way?

2. PJ Hamel

Mary, food coloring is fine – what did you have in mind for the “goofs”? Blue? Purple? :) If you need to bake ahead, freeze well-wrapped; that at room temperature, loosely wrapped; and reheat in a 350°F oven, tented lightly with foil, for 10 minutes or so. They should be fine. PJH

2. Bill_Lundy

Excellent songsterizing today; compliments from a veteran punster and inventor of new words. Now to business: any suggestions as to what adjustments I could make were I to use some sourdough to make this? …and while I’m at it, what about incorporating whole wheat or spelt?
    Thanks Bill. I’ve been known to make up a few new words in my day too.
    For the sourdough, remove one cup of the liquid and 1/2 cup of the flour and replace it with one cup of your fed sourdough. You can definitely experiment with WW and spelt too. Start small and work your way up until you have a ratio you are happy with. Believe me, this is not the first incarnation of this particular recipe, and probably won’t be the last either. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

3. redshan68

Perfect timing! I supplement my holiday income by offering side dishes, breads, and other treats to co-workers and friends. This year I received a whopping 12 orders dinner rolls! I’m usually a little nervous about doubling recipes, but with this one, I won’t have to worry! Y’all rock!
    Woo hooo! Glad we could help out, and I’m sure your co-workers will be thrilled with their homemade treats. Have a great holiday. ~ MaryJane

4. anna mid-maine

I know from grade school that there are no stupid questions, nevertheless I feel I should know this, but I don’t. I would make these rolls the day before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving, after the turkey is done, the stuffing and sweet potato casserole go into a 350 oven for 30 minutes. How long would these (room temperature) already baked rolls need to be in the 350 oven, so I could serve them piping hot? Warned you it was a stupid question! Thank you for your help.
    Hi Anna,
    Trust me, on the scale of questions this one is nowhere near stupid. The kitchen will probably be on the warm side, so the rolls should only need about 15 minutes or so to warm up in the oven. Of course, you may have to taste test a few just to be sure ;) . Have a great holiday. ~ MaryJane

5. kathyd

This looks like a nice dough. Think I will try them out today before next week and see how the family likes them. Do you think they would make a good cinnamon roll? I was thinking about Christmas morning and a BIG tray of cinnamon rolls. Would this dough be okay? It is a soft enough dough for cinnamon rolls?

I just love the blog and the stories…..and songs! ;D

These are a delicious, and soft dinner roll. But for cinnamon rolls I suggest: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinnamon-rolls-recipe
    Frank @ KAF.

6. HMB

“Doorbell” test — love it! And the silly songs, too. I wanna hang out in the kitchen with you — sounds like that’s were all the action and the fun is! Thanks for a day-brightener.

7. PatriciaSeasons

I do hope you don’t have that little ditty copyrighted… I plan to have my grandkids sing it on Thanksgiving as we take the rolls out of the oven.
    Love it, PJ and all your recipes
    I hope you get a chance to record and post it on YouTube! ~ MaryJane

8. nancywl

I do not have a mixer, just either the gool ‘ole wooden spoon or my Zojirushi bread machine. What is the best way to adapt this recipe so I mix it correctly? Thanks!
    You can make this on the dough cycle, just keep an eye on it as it rises to prevent overflow. If its getting too high, just push it down in the center and let it keep going. ~ MaryJane

9. nancywl

How would I program my Zo to make the dough? I don’t have a mixer.

10. 216here

Hello. These sound perfect. If I were to make the dough in the morning, could I just refrigerate them (on a baking sheet with parchment) until I’m ready to bake? If so, how long should I let them rise before putting them in? I will most likely be baking them within 5 hours of making the dough. Thanks!
    The dough will continue to rise in the fridge, just more slowly. By the time you are ready to bake, they should be ready to go. ~ MaryJane

11. littlechef

I will be making these bunis. Can I make
    them in my bread machine ?
    . Littlechef
    You can make the dough in your machine, just keep an eye on it as it rises so that it doesn’t overflow the pan. ~ MaryJane

12. fithiancj

Remember when you are singing Elf says
    “for Christmas cheer sing loud for all to hear”
    I am singing about chestnuts as I chop, great roll recipe I always try and make them…
    Thanks for chiming in (ba-dump-bump). ~ MaryJane

13. littlechef

I will be making these I will be using my zoe for this will the dough be okay and risen for the rolls do you recommend the breadmachine for this?
    littlechef

Sorry, this is too much dough for the Zo to handle. It need to be made as written. Frank @ KAF.

14. amt

I love the recipe for Soft White Dinner Rolls which uses potato flour. Those rolls are incredible! Can this recipe be adjusted to add some potato flour (which I believe makes for a softer roll)? Do I replace some of the flour?

Try replacing 1/2 cup of the flour with 1/2 cup of potato flakes or 1/4 cup of potato flour. Frank @ KAF.

15. smartcookietoo

This is a wonderful idea. I was wondering how I could get fresh rolls made and do the rest of what I need to on Thanksgiving day. This will help tremendously. Would like to know if this procedure for freezing will work with your Gluten Free Rolls??? Need to make both regular and GF rolls for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks.

Sorry, gluten-free is a completely different style of baking. Take a look at this g-f Dinner Roll recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-high-fiber-dinner-rolls-recipe
    Frank @ KAF

16. Cindy Leigh

MJ, I am very envious of you! So few people are able to take such delight in their work. Your delight shines through with everything you post. Keep on singing!!

17. wingboy

In the printable version, the “yeast” doesn’t show up:

113g lukewarm water
    454g warm milk (100-110°F)
    43g butter
    21g sugar
    1 tablespoon salt
    28g
    723 to 843g King Arthur Unbleached All Purpose Flour
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The amount for the yeast shows up (28 grams) but the word “yeast” does not show up. I will let our web team know. If you have any other questions, please let us know! ~Mel

18. kathyd

I made these in the Zo yesterday. They do rise high and fast so once the machine stopped kneading I set the timer to 15 minutes. Took the dough out of the machine and shaped them into the 24 rolls. Let them sit while the oven preheated and baked them around 18 or 19 minutes. So easy, so soft and delicious.

I think I’ll have to make these for turkey day. I’m going to try adding some potato flour and some garlic and herb add in.

Yummy!
    KathyD

19. lauracatlover

So this might be a silly question, since no one else asked, but should the butter be melted, or simply softened? I think just softened, from the photo, but it is difficult to tell.
    Generally you want your butter to be very soft at room temperature when adding it to the dough. It is not necessary for it to be melted. ~ Mel

20. Teresa F.

First, this recipe sounds delicious and I want to make it a day or so before Thanksgiving. I have a follow up question relating to the use of potato flour. Can I use potato flour in place of the potato flakes? Do I need to adjust the amount?

Thanks! As always, I love this blog and all your testing efforts.
    When using potato flour in place of potato flakes, always use 1/2 the amount. ~Amy

21. suzlab100

Okay, I need clarification…
    If I made them the day before thanksgiving, how do I handle the rise…how much time before putting in fridge, how much time in fridge, and how much rest time on the counter before baking?

If I make them Thanksgiving morning, do I let them rise at all on the counter, before putting in fridge for 5 hours (the time you stated in answer to someone else’s post).

Thanks so much for posting the recipe….so looking forward to it!
    If you make the dough a day ahead, you can follow the recipe through the first rise, shape the rolls and then allow them to proof overnight in the fridge. The next day, about and hour or so before you are ready to bake them, pull them out and allow them to come to room temperature and finish proofing. If you are making them the day of, then just follow the recipe as written, you will not need to refrigerate the dough. ~Amy

22. createbella

I made these today and they were so yummy and easy to make. The instructions were really clear and I loved having the photos as well. Loved it so much I did a blog post about it so I could share the recipe with my friends and family via facebook. Thanks for the great recipe, going to make a bigger batch {just did a half batch today} for Thanksgiving. :)

23. Dalface

I made these last night and they were so easy and so good. I froze most of them so I can bring them to a work potluck for Thanksgiving. I figure they’ll stay fresher that way and I’ll put them in the fridge the day before.

24. Lisa P

How long do you knead if you don’t want to use your mixer? Hand kneading is just heaven to me but I don’t want to over knead. If you could provide an estimate that would be great! Happy Thanksgiving…. you guys/gals are one of things I’m thankful for!

10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and “bouncy,” should be just fine, Lisa. I think it’s virtually impossible to over-knead bread dough by hand, unless you’re the Bionic Woman! Enjoy – PJH

25. sherylm

As always your timing is perfect for presenting a recipe that speaks exactly to what I’m looking for! I was thinking about making fresh rolls but doing them ahead so I could cut down on the prep the morning of Thanksgiving. Thank you so much!

I would like to up the fiber in these; is it okay to substitute part White Whole Wheat flour and if so how much will still give me a good rise?

It’s good to start small – with 25% or 1/4 the amount of White Whole Wheat for the all purpose flour. If you like the taste and texture results, then sub 50% of the all purpose with the White Whole Wheat. Again, check the taste and texture results with your expectations and increase again if you wish. Bear in mind the whole wheat may absorb more liquid than the all purpose flour – you’re always striving for a soft, supple dough. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

26. lisawilma

These rolls came out great. It took more flour than the recipe called for maybe because it was raining outside. I didn’t want to add too much so the dough was on the soft side and they came out with a wonderful texture. Thanks for the recipe

Great action-research from your home kitchen! To get soft rolls, strive for a soft dough! Happy Baking – Irene @ KAF/strong>

27. YS

I would love to make these for Thanksgiving, but I have two questions:

1) Can I successfully cut this recipe in half? I don’t need *quite* so many rolls.

2) May I use active dry/rapid rise yeast in place of the instant? If so, in what amount? Instant yeast is difficult to find in my area.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

The whole reason for this recipe is to get a big batch of rolls, rather than double another recipe. You could cut this recipe in half to get the amount that is best for your needs, or check our other recipes (Golden Pull Apart Butter Buns with a yield of 16 rolls OR Soft White Dinner Rolls also a yield of 16).
    If you use active dry yeast, be sure to dissolve or proof in warm water first. Use 1/2 cup of the water called for in the recipe – after 10 minutes rest it will be ready to continue with the rest of the recipe. You’ll be disappointed if you use rapid rise yeast, as it only provides one rise – not twice as this recipe requires. Irene @ KAF

28. kaf-sub-melissaaune

I made a batch of these rolls and they turned out great, however my family prefers their rolls a little sweeter. Could I add a little more sugar or some honey to the recipe or would that adversely affect the finished product? Thanks for the recipe!

You could increase the sugar up to a total of 4 Tablespoons without addition changes. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

Yes, I’ve done that before when I used this dough to make a huge, quick batch of cinnamon buns. ~ MaryJane

29. wingboy

We’re going to our nephew’s for Thanksgiving. It’s a 4 1/2 to 5 hour drive. Whatever I did last year worked like a charm. Unfortunately I don’t remember how I did it!

The day before, I’m planning on taking the rolls through the first rise and then sticking them in the freezer overnight. Thanksgiving, I’ll put them in the trunk with a cold pack for the ride.

Do you think they’ll be about oven-ready when we arrive?

Maybe. It will all depend on how warm the trunk gets. If you are traveling where the weather is on cool side, that would be great. Frank @ KAF.

30. Elle

I don’t have a stand mixer or a bread machine, just my own two hands and a wooden spoon. If I want to make these rolls for Thanksgiving, am I going to be icing my sore muscles for the rest of the day from stirring the dough together?
    Hi Elle,
    I made these by hand for a long time before I used machines, so you can definitely do it. If you have someone to help stir, it’s a good thing, but the dough should not be so stiff that you can’t easily mix and knead it. ~ MaryJane

31. Kath

I would like to make these rolls and par-bake them like homemade brown/serve rolls. Will that work? If so, at what temp and for how long? Thanks.

Kath, I’d just bake them fully and then reheat, tented lightly with foil, for about 10 minutes in a 350°F oven just before serving. Brush with butter when they come out for a lovely, buttery crust. For par-baking, bake at 350°F until the rolls are set and just barely beginning to brown. Pull them out, cool carefully, and wrap until ready to bake and serve. Good luck – PJH

32. amberlindemann

I made these tonight to practice before Thursday. They were a hit. The pictures made it so easy.

I had one family member who thought they should be sweeter, could someone add more sugar to this.

I’m new to bread making (this was my first non quick bread recipe) so please forgive me if that’s a silly question.

No question here would ever be considered silly, Amber. Baking is always a community effort, and we all learn from one another. I’d say you can increase the sugar in this recipe up to 1/3 cup; that would make a typically VERY mildly sweet dinner roll, such as your grandma used to make. Enjoy! PJH

-amber

33. "saidthe hobbit"

Making these as we speak…….here’s my song
    “I’m late, to bake , for a very important date. No time to say Hello Goodbye Must bake and bake and bake ” Think Alice and Wonderland.Happy Thanksgiving love having you in my kitchen.

And we love having you here. Let’s continue the song: “I’m overdue, my pie is burning too, no time to say hello goodbye let’s bake and bake and bake!” :) PJH

Too funny, I just went to the high school’s production of Alice last weekend! Thanks for singing along ~ MaryJane

34. "saidthe hobbit"

Just finished eating the rolls………no,not all of them!However I will NEVER be without these rolls again. My family is pretty big on bread. Every Friday is devoted to bread making of sorts in this household.I so wanted to do potato flake rolls this year however I’m also doing a cook/bake from the pantry every other week to prevent things from being lost and therefore unused.Anyway I had everything in the pantry and they are every bit as good so, this will now be a staple. Thanks for finishing my song and seeing as how this took no time to make I have plenty of time to bake a fresh pie.

LOVE it when we’re able to furnish one of our readers with a new favorite recipe – thanks for your feedback (and song)! PJH

35. KellyHl

So, if you’re using active dry yeast and need to proof beforehand as you mentioned in a previous reply, do you work as follows:

proof the yeast in the 1/2 c water for 10 minutes, then add the milk, butter, sugar, and salt, and let sit for 6-8 minutes?

Kelly, no need to proof active dry yeast – just add it to the dry ingredients as you would instant. Active dry is manufactured differently than it used to be; finer grain, no need to dissolve before using. But you can dissolve it, as you describe above, if you wish… PJH

36. mona49

I just made a double batch of these rolls for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. They were so easy to make and smell so good as they are baking. This will become my all time favorite dinner roll.
    I can’t wait to make my batch tomorrow. Snitching a hot roll is one of the joys of a big dinner for me. :) Have a great day tomorrow. ~ MaryJane

37. Kath

I made the rolls by hand and they turned out great! My husband and I shared one (taste test) and will take the rest to Thanksgiving dinner. They are so good! I will make these all the time now. Thank you for your help.

Glad we could give you a hand with your Thanksgiving baking, Kath – PJH

38. ironic

Made these last night, let rise for 10 minutes in the pan, and put in the fridge. Will take them out and let them rest for an hour today and then bake. I have 2 heart shaped cake pans, and used them with 8 in each, plus 8 in a 9 inch round. I think the heart shaped put on a platter will be very nice on the table. Very easy recipe to make. I am sure they will be a hit.

Great idea, heart-shaped buns – thanks for sharing! PJH

39. mpm17724

Just made a batch of these rolls. Quick, easy and delicious.
    Will definitely make these again. Yum!!!
    Happy Thanksgiving!!

Glad the rolls were a hit for you – and Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. PJH

40. Anne

Can you talk a little bit more about when to freeze before baking and when to freeze after? Last year’s freeze-ahead cinnamon buns recipe called for parbaking first. (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2010/12/10/freeze-cinnamon-buns-in-20-minutes/) In this post for dinner rolls, the directions are to freeze before baking. This week I made both cinnamon buns and dinner rolls from the same batch of dough and parbaked them — it seemed that the cinnamon buns were fine but the dinner rolls collapsed a little in the middle. (They were still great.) How do you decide when to freeze?
    Great question Anne. Normally, I’d say par-bake first so that you don’t lose yeast to the cold of the freezer. This recipe however has plenty of yeast and you don’t really have to worry about much of it dying off, so it’s fine to freeze before baking. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

41. toad1976

In the same spirit to the par-baking/no par-baking above, are there baked goods (yeast or otherwise) that don’t respond well to freezing? I am tempted to try to split my favorite baking recipes and freeze half. I am cooking for fewer now with my daughter at college now.
    We have a great e-pamphlet on the in’s and out’s of freezing baked goods. If you pop an email to bakers@kingarthurflour.com, we can send one out to you. It’s a bit too long to post here. ~ MaryJane

42. KellyHl

Thanks for posting these and for the answer above! I went ahead and proofed the yeast in the warm water first and it seemed to work fine. This was my first attempt at making rolls and they were fabulous! I baked half right away for Thanksgiving dinner and froze the other half. I have a feeling they won’t be in the freezer long, though! :)

Thanks again!

43. wingboy

Update: The rolls rose too much as they were freezing. I had to bake them before we left on the what-turned-out-to-be 6 hour drive to our nephew’s. It was really rainy, windy and a truly nasty drive. Normally it’s about 4 1/2 hours at 70. At 45 it takes longer . . . I’m glad I baked the rolls before we left! I let them cool about 20 minutes, wrapped the pans in foil, and we were on our way.

MaryJane, is the e-pamphlet available on-line?
    No, right now it lives in an older email system we used to use here, and it has not been updated yet. I’d say perhaps we can get it up in the new year. Thanks for checking! ~ MaryJane

44. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ- BRAZIL

I have made these buns today. Have made a small batch and after all done, i´d got a problem. The buns disapeared quickly and i needed to start new batch.
    The softly tender dough, combined with little crispied brown crust makes me CRAZY…what LOVELY bread!!!
    Perfectly for breakfast, for sandwiches and of course even better for hamburguers, why not? Versatile easy BREAD….
    P.J., it´s bread is a strong candidate to figure among best KAF´s breads gallery, i ASSURE!!!!
    Bingo!!!! again

45. lauracatlover

These were totally awesome! The dough was so easy to work with, and the freezing worked great. I actually forgot to pull them out the night before to defrost in the frig, but took them out in the morning and let them defrost at room temperature for a couple hours, then stuck in the frig until I was ready to bake. I’ve found a new go-to roll recipe that I can do far in advance! Thanks KAF!

46. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ- BRAZIL

Back here at this ´post ´just to tell you some tips about this FANTASTIC recipe. I baked with additional 2 eggs, plus mashed sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon of ground ginger. It turns AMAZING. Nice color, deliciously sweet tasted. The addiction of eggs turn the buns nicely golden.
    One of the BEST recipes i´ve seen here. CONGRATULATIONS

47. Bee

Just wondering if a 4.5 quart KitchenAid is big enough to double your recipe? Then again, would it be big enough to make one batch?
    Thanks a bunch! I hope they turn out. Yummy!
    Your mixer could handle one batch, but not a double. I’d say make one batch, pop it in the fridge, make the second batch, then combine them by hand to get the dough you need. ~ MaryJane

48. jennaterry

These look great. Any advice on making these in a convection oven? Thank you!

Jenna, sorry, we don’t have any convection ovens here at King Arthur’s test kitchens. However, I’ve heard that you should bake 20% less time. My advice would be to bake these until they turn a light golden brown. Does anyone with convection oven experience have any advice for Jenna? PJH

49. JudyS

Just made a test batch tonight to see if I would use the recipe for Thanksgiving. The only change I made to the recipe was that I used 1/4 cup of sugar to make the rolls sweeter. They are delish! I can’t wait to bring these to Thanksgiving and then share the recipe! I seriously had problems just stoping at one roll to try. Thank goodness I only baked 6 and put the rest of the dough in the freezer.

50. deb1223

Curious as to how freezing the dough worked for others as it did not work well at all for me. :( I also had a dough disaster as I did make the dough in the bread machine and FORGOT TO WATCH it rising – oops. :) They did rise beautifully before freezing, so I am interested in trying again and not freezing. :)

I would suggest giving our Baker’s Hotline a call so we can troubleshoot this problem with you!-Jon 1-802-649-3717

51. Jaky

Wow! I made these by hand, they turned out great…they where a hit for Thanskgiving and I am going to make them again for X-mas…

P.d. I made my first batch in the conventional oven with the time posted for the regular oven and they came out burned on the top. :( (still very good). Then for the next batches I lowered the temp and the time and they came out excellent :) I just brushed melted butter on the top….sooooo good! Thank you, thank you!
    I’m gearing up for a big batch of these myself on the 25th. Can’t wait! ~ MaryJane

52. warehouse

Can’t wait to try these. Looking for a recipe like this.
    Is there a recipe for bread or rolls that do not contain dairy.
    My grandson is allergic to dairy.

Pat
    You can easily use soy butter and soy milk or nut or rice milk in the recipe. You could even use water, though the rolls won’t be quite as squishy. Be sure to check out vegan recipes and cookbooks too. ~ MaryJane

53. mhagen73

I made these for the first time at Thanksgiving and they were AWESOME!! I am planning to make these tomorrow for Christmas dinner and my question is – can I substitute KA Bread Flour for the all purpose? Do I need to make any adjustments to the recipe?

Thanks,
    Michele

Sure, Michele – you’ll need to increase the water, probably about 2 teaspoons per cup of flour. You want the dough to look like the blog pictures, so you’ll ahve to eyeball it as to exactly how much extra water to add. Good luck – PJH

54. Cooki

Hey, Thanks for this recipe… I don’t have a mixer,… I mixed with my hands… making it not such a quick recipe. But it worked so beautifully. I just wanted to commend you on your beautiful site. I have found so many answers to so many of my somewhat dull questions.
    Thank you for being excellent.

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are happy to help!-Jon

55. Marj A

I have made them twice now. The second time I chose to lessen the amount of salt due to a personal taste. One less teaspoon… turned out perfect! 24 rolls hit the table 8 were left when dinner was over. PS there were only 4 adults and 1 child eating. Now a family favorite! Time to stock the freezer! Thanks again King Arthur for yet another awesome recipe!

56. David

Why do we add instant yeast to the liquid for a period of time? I thought the point of instant yeast was to allow one to skip this proofing and just add the yeast to the dry ingredients.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Hi David,
      Yes, instant yeast does not need a proofing, but by proofing it in the warm liquid you give it even more of a jump start so that the rolls move along more quickly and get to the table in record time. ~ MJ

57. Anna

I made these and they were delicious. But the ones that I put into the freezer flattened out and wrinkled. What did I do wrong?? Please help. I want to make them for Thanksgiving.

Sounds like they over proofed somewhere down the line to have flattened like they did. If they were wrinkled, perhaps they were not covered well and developed a skin. I hope you will try again and if you need further assistance, please contact one of our bakers on our toll free line, 1-855-371-BAKE. Elisabeth

58. amg

I am a novice bread baker and have a question about the freezing and thawing process. I was planning to bake them in a sheet pan; do they need to be frozen in cake pans so they have room to rise when thawing? If not, can I just put the rolls in freezer bags and leave some room around each roll? I am assuming the rolls thaw overnight in the plastic bags, but as I said, I am a novice. Finally, what is the minimum and maximum time the rolls should sit in the frig thawing before baking? We will be eating around 7 p.m., and I didn’t know if the rolls could overrise in the refrigerator. Thanks so much.

Whew! The night before you want fresh baked rolls, remove from the freezer and let thaw and rise in the refrigerator. Yes, they should be panned and wrapped so they don’t dry out. Bake for the time and temp. listed in the recipe. Some bakers put them in the oven when the turkey comes out…..so while the turkey rests and you get the rest of the sides ready and the turkey sliced – the rolls will be the last to come to the table! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

59. Jane

I would love to make these rolls for Thanksgiving! I live in the Denver area – above 5000 feet. How should I adjust for the higher altitude?

1. Jane

I just finished making these! They came out perfect – at 6000 feet altitude. I followed the high altitude directions and just took out some of the yeast. Thanks for a great recipe.
      Jane

2. PJ Hamel

Jane, glad to hear they were successful for you, making those high-altitude adjustments. Thanks for letting us know! PJH

60. jodyhatch

I made this for a community dinner and they were wonderful. I made 4 more batches last night for my daughter’s basketball banquet. They are beautiful and taste great. Thanks for the great recipe!

61. Erin

Made two batches of these last night for potluck luncheon for about 30+ people today, needless to say they were a huge hit! I brushed the tops with melted butter (because who doesn’t love butter?) and it helped bring out the flavor and retain the moisture-and gave the rolls a fresh bakery look. Instead of rolling them into a ball- I folded the corners into the center and placed them on the parchment round side up- this helped the rolls stay light and fluffy- plus I was unable to get the dough into pretty balls- so this method definitely helped with both the appearance and my frustration/OCD/ perfection level!

1. PJ Hamel

Erin, I’m glad you discovered a good shaping method; that’s the way I do it, too. Actually I do what you said, then roll them very briefly under my fingertips on the counter, to “round” them up even more. So glad the buns were a hit! :) PJH

62. Dawn

Have you ever tried pre-baking these for a short amount of time and then freezing? Then baking straight from the freezer?

Hi Dawn, if you want to parbake these rolls, please bake them until they are pale, but fully set. It should work well.~Jaydl@KAF

63. Adam

I tried a half batch of these last night but somewhere I messed something up. Although they tasted good the family thought they were a little dense and the texture looked dense as well.

I halved the recipe to start with and I used active dry yeast instead of instant(I have a jar of active dry and bread machine yeast in the fridge). I didn’t preproof the active dry yeast should I have?
    I started to dough utilizing 2 cups of AP flour. I then added another half cup and it helped bring the dough together but I felt it looked a little sticky so I added another half cup. The resulting dough looked good but I’m a newbie.
    I let the dough proof in the bowl and once made into balls, I placed and cooked them in a muffin pan. Was that a no no too?

With my oven set to 350(verified with thermometer) and rolls cooked for 20 minutes I had medium brown tops and a instant read thermometer came out to 200 degrees. I think they overcooked. Would that have contributed to the tough texture or was it that I probably used to much flour?

Lastly I was going to try these again tonight but was going to quarter the recipe so I’m not wasting ingredients. Although the family loves baked goods we try to keep are carbs to a minimum.

Thanks for your help.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

HI Adam,
      It sounds like a couple of things going on. First, with such as short proofing time it would be a good idea to proof your yeast if you are using active dry. It needs that jump start to keep up with the fast pace of the recipe.

For the dough texture, it’s better to err on the side of a slightly wetter dough than a drier dough. A little tackiness in the touch is a good thing.

Hope this helps. ~ MJ

64. Betsy

I would like to make these ahead and take them to our family cabin in the Adirondack mountains. We go every Columbus weekend and I make a pre-thanksgiving dinner. Can they be parbaked and then finished baking on “Thankgiving” day? If so, how long would you bake them for? Alas, I tried to read all the comments to see if the answer was in there, but there were too many!

1. PJ Hamel

Betsy, bake them until they’re set and just barely beginning to brown. When you poke one, it should feel fairly firm, not Jell-O like and about to collapse. You need them done enough that they don’t fall when they come out of the oven, but you also need to leave yourself some space for them to finish baking/browning. Good luck with your Canadian Thanksgiving! :) PJH

Simply add a bit more water or milk to adjust the consistency to softness. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

65. Marianne

Your recipe for Never-Fail Biscuits calls for self-rising flour, but I have all purpose flour. Is it the same or can I add something to my all purpose flour?

Marianne, you can transform your all purpose flour to self-rising flour by whisking together 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt per each cup of all purpose flour. This flour will have a higher protein content, however, so you may need to add a bit more water to your recipe. Check out this link to see our recipe for making your own self-rising flour: . Barb@KAF

66. Barb

It sounds as though these are pretty yeasty in flavor? Trying to find a dinner roll recipe that makes very yeasty, flavorful rolls.

Hello Barb-
      Most rolls if properly balanced shouldn’t have an overly “yeasty” flavor as generally that is in an indication that they were over-yeasted. That being said, these rolls do have a good deal of yeast in them and should have a classic flavorful dinner profile when baked up. I know when I made them for my family we certainly all very much enjoyed them! I hope that helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

67. Trina Collins

I saw that food coloring would be fine to add so I’m thinking of making a batch of colored rolls for my little ones for Easter this year, wondering how much food coloring you think I should add to get some pretty colored rolls? Would it work to add color to each roll or have to do entire batch one color?

1. PJ Hamel

Trina, you could try kneading color into individual rolls. Depending on how strong your colors are, start with a few drops, see how that goes, then add more as needed. Understand as the rolls bake they’ll darken, and colors may change – for instance, adding the golden tone of a baked roll to pink may result in an orange-y color… Have fun! PJH