Gluten-Free High-Fiber Dinner Rolls: golden!

When someone first starts following a gluten-free diet, what do you think they miss the most?

Chocolate chip cookies? Pancakes? Birthday cake, maybe?

Nope. While we haven’t seen any “official” studies offering insight into this question, our anecdotal research shows that what people miss most on their gluten-free diet is…

Bread.

Bread of all kinds, from sandwich bread to crusty sourdough, toast and croutons to stuffing for the Thanksgiving bird.

It’s not surprising – I mean, a peanut butter cookie is a peanut butter cookie. But bread – it’s a mainstay of so many of our meals, it’s difficult to imagine life without it.

Yet that’s exactly what all of our friends on gluten-free diets are forced to do.

Until they discover how to make their own gluten-free version of “the staff of life.”

Gluten-free yeast bread is the most difficult project our GF team here at King Arthur flour has tackled. We’ve spent about 3 years devoting a lot of time and resources to GF baking, and yeast bread is still a work in progress.

Which isn’t to say our recipes for sandwich bread, sorghum sandwich bread, and whole-grain bread aren’t pretty darned good; just that we continue to work on ways to make them even better.

Like mounding the sticky batter in the pan to make the traditional dome-shaped loaf. Unlike yeast breads with gluten, GF bread won’t dome on its own; you have to help it.

And how about baking a good loaf of GF bread in your bread machine? The tips we offer for baking King Arthur GF bread mix in your Zojirushi bread machine may very well translate to your own recipe and bread machine.

With the holidays right on the doorstep, we figured this would be a great time to showcase one of our newest GF recipes: Gluten-Free High-Fiber Dinner Rolls. Moist and tender, these rolls could easily slip unnoticed (though not unappreciated) into any Thanksgiving bread basket.

Note the recipe title: many of you have requested breads with fiber.

So we’ve added Hi-maize Fiber to the recipe. Trust me, you’ll never know it’s there – these rolls are soft and tender, with none of the grittiness sometimes associated with GF flours and whole grains.

So, enough with the preamble – let’s bake some gluten-free rolls.

Whisk together the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour or brown rice flour blend (6 ¾ ounces)*
1/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber
1 tablespoon gluten-free Cake Enhancer, optional (helps keep rolls moist and fresh)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soft butter

*To make your own brown rice flour blend, whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it’ll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

Using an electric mixer (hand mixer, or stand), beat everything together until smooth. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes, to make a smooth, thick batter. Scrape the batter into the center of the bowl.

Attention, eagle-eyed readers: if you compare this blog post with the online recipe, you’ll notice I wasn’t very good about following the recipe exactly. I’m impatient; where the recipe has you whisking dry ingredients, beating together liquid ingredients separately, adding them a bit at a time, etc., I just dumped everything in the bowl and beat it.

The rolls came out just fine. So follow my instructions here, or follow the recipe instructions; either is a good option.

Cover the bowl, and let the thick batter rise for 1 hour. It won’t appear to do much; that’s OK.

Grease an 8″ round pan; or 6 English muffin rings; or the wells of a hamburger bun pan. Grease a muffin scoop or large spoon with some melted butter, or with non-stick baking spray.

Scoop the dough into the 8″ round pan; slightly overfilling a muffin scoop works well here. Space 7 mounds around the perimeter, and 1 in the middle.

To make larger sandwich buns, drop the batter into the prepared hamburger bun pan, or into the English muffin rings placed onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten the dough slightly, using a greased spatula or your wet fingers.

Cover with greased plastic wrap, and set in a warm place to rise until the rolls touch each other and look puffy. This should take about 45 to 60 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake the rolls for 28 to 32 minutes, until they’re golden brown.

Remove the rolls from the oven. Brush with melted butter, if desired.

Let the rolls cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn them out of the pan onto a rack.

Serve warm.

Your GF family and friends will thank you…

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free High-Fiber Dinner Rolls.

comments

1. cme622

Is it possible to make this without the Hi Maize Fiber? I’m making your regular dinner rolls for Thanksgiving, but would like rolls for my daughter who was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I won’t be able to get the Hi Maize Fiber in time for Thanksgiving, so could I add an extra 1/4 of flour blend in it’s place? We’re not concerned with having the extra fiber.

Thanks!

Yes, absolutely. Enjoy your Thanksgiving GF bread basket! PJH

2. justplainbeth

Oh thank you for answering the exact question I was going to ask.. and thank you for posting this today. Now we too can enjoy rolls at our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. My family insisted that if I couldn’t have regular rolls, they didn’t want to have rolls either. What a gift you have given us. Happy Thanksgiving!

The gift is the exchange of ideas and understanding. Enjoy your holiday – but especially your family as you all gather. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

3. bobmarchese

But if you leave out the Hi-maize fiber, are there any adjustments that need to be made?
    PJ suggests replacing the fiber with an equal amount of GF flour blend. That should do the trick. ~ MaryJane

4. gemshein2

Realizing how very difficult it is to make a good GF bread – any thoughts/ideas on how to modify this recipe to make it also dairy free, egg free for our grandson? Will egg replacer work? And could one substitute rice or soy milk?
    Gluten free bread is really a challenge especially if you are catering to additional allergies such as eggs and dairy. You may try an egg replacement or you can also use flax meal. 1 tablespoon blended with 3 tablespoons of water until thick and creamy will replace 1 egg in a recipe. You may use rice or soy milk also. ~Amy

5. cme622

Just wanted to let you know, my daughter loved these rolls! Thanks for the recipe!

Good to hear! Glad we could help with your holiday celebration. PJH

6. mrssmif

These look really yummy! I plan on making them exactly as written, but I do have a question…Could these be used in a burger bun type scenario? They look more biscuit-y in texture, based on the picture. Or, will any of your other GF bread recipes work in a bun capacity? If not, I’m still grateful for all the work that you guys have put into creating these GF recipes for us, and will wait patiently, as I know that eventually KAF will come up w/something! Thanks for all y’all do!
    Yes, you may use this recipe in a hamburger bun pan. There are specific instructions for doing so on the recipe page for the dinner rolls. Any bread recipe would be versatile to create a roll shape. Unfortunately, with the batter-like consistency of gluten free dough, it is difficult to achieve the bun shape without a special pan. Some people also use their muffin tins for gluten free roll shaping. ~Amy

7. bamanurse

If you follow the GF recipe, could you put these ingredients in a bread machine and stop it when it comes time to bake in the oven? Thank you.
    I don’t recommend making this recipe in a bread machine as a gluten free bread batter needs more vigorous mixing than a bread machine can offer. ~Amy

8. DevAndTheGang

I made these today and they were fantastic. They made a great sandwich biscuit. We will be definitely adding this recipe to our collection. We already love, love, love (and I can’t say it enough) your pizza crust recipe. We are so happy not to have to buy anymore cardboard crusts. Thanks for all your great gluten free recipes.

9. Pengwenhsd

Tried these for Christmas and totally blew it. They looked exactly like the pictures until I put them in the oven, then they didn’t rise another fraction of an inch. They got called “hardtack”. I do know one thing I flubbed, the hi-maize fiber got away from me and I probably got a couple of extra tablespoons in there (was weighing stuff and shaking it in from the bag and not careful enough.) Didn’t think I’d gotten all that much extra but maybe so. Will be trying again and more carefully next time.

10. bgmizzo

I want to sub some of the Ancient grains GF flour ( to make it healthier), any suggestions as to if this will work and how much to do?

Try replacing 1/2 cup of the g-f Multi-Purpose Flour Blend with an equal amount of the Ancient Grains Blend. The resulting rolls may be a bit denser. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

11. Susan

Could you try flax as a fiber additive?
    A tablespoon or two of ground flax would be just fine in the recipe. ~ MaryJane

12. tkrytr

I’m hosting Thanksgiving dinner for 20 people, and I’d like to 1) make 4 pans-worth, and 2) make them ahead of time, as much as possible. If I make more of them in a larger pan, should I assume that the middle ones wouldn’t cook as well. I should probably do 4 round pans. Is it possible to cook them a day ahead, then reheat and let them brown a bit more? Has anyone tried this? or could I prep them the day before and let them rise in the fridge overnight, and pop them in the oven to cook when I take the turkey out? I do that sometimes with regular yeast rolls, but I don’t have much experience with GF rolls. Excellent questions! 1.) to quadruple the recipe, multiply every ingredient by 4 except for the yeast. Just increase the yeast to 3 teaspoons instead of 4. They might take a little longer to rise, but you don’t want over-risen dough as it collapses in the oven. Also, keeping the pan sizes smaller would be better, but I haven’t tried these in large batches! When scooping into pans, try to keep the rolls somewhat spaced out as the pictures show–you want them to touch a bit so they rise well! 2.) To make them ahead of time, you should bake them most of the way instead of par-baking them (they need to set completely or they will be gummy and sticky). Bake until they are lightly browned on top, remove from the oven to cool, wrap them in the pan, and keep at room temperature. Do this no more than the day before or they will dry out considerably. The day of dinner, bake the rolls at 350F until just warmed through, about 10 minutes (check the oven often!). Brush with butter and serve! -Kim@KAF

13. Pam

Can one substitute guar gum for the xanthan gum? If so, in what amount? I will be adding the extra flour in lieu of the hi-Maize as well…. I am in Germany and received a box of your GF flour as a gift but cannot find xanthan gum here, only guar gum…. I’d like to try the dinner rolls for Thanksgiving…

Pam, we haven’t tested with guar gum; but from what I understand, you can use it in place of xanthan gum, if you just use a bit more. I’d suggest trying 1 teaspoon guar gum – good luck, and enjoy! PJH

14. ramfever

My daughter has gone gluten free. I would like to try these rolls for Christmas Dinner as Brown n’ Serve rolls because of the time crunch.
    How long should I bake them the first time? Can I then freeze them and then reheat and brown for Christmas dinner? I made the GF pie crust for Thanksgiving and we all enjoyed it.
    ramfever
    Thanks for checking in. I would say bake them fully, then freeze. You can reheat them wrapped in foil to serve nice, warm buns. ~ MaryJane

15. gosoccer27

Super moist rolls! Such a success. My gluten-free dinner guests said that these biscuits were the best they have ever had! I baked this recipe in the hamburger bun pan, which makes 6 rolls. I rested a square sheet of parchment paper in each bun sphere in the pan, then dolloped the dough into them little by little. Once baked, the biscuits had a great crispy crust, rustic free-form shape, and lovely cake-textured inside. I also added a little dried sage to the softened butter, which enhanced the flavor even more. Thanks KAF!

You will need to replace the fiber with an equal amount of gluten free flour. Jon@KAF

16. Holly

How would these fair if made x days in advance and warmed up for the meal? If possible any recommendation for how many days in advance they can be made and the proper freezing process? Many Thanks!!

Wait until your rolls cool. Pack them into ziplock bags and press out as much air as you can before sealing the bags. The rolls may be kept for 3 months in the freezer.~Jaydl@KAF

Hi – a half recipe would be 3 or 4 rolls, and I’d bet they’ll fit into the bottom of an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ or 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. Good luck, and enjoy – PJH

17. Cindy

I came up with this recipe for my Aunt for bread. She loved it so much and shared with all her buddies that can’t have gluten.

1 1/2 c. sorghum flour (aka jowar flour)
    1 c. tapioca starch
    1/2 c. millet flour
    2 tsp. xanthan gum
    1 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
    1 packet rapid dry yeast or
    2 1/4 tsp.
    1 1/4 c. warm water (at 110 to 115ºF)
    3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1 tbsp. honey
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    2 eggs, beaten (or egg substitute)

Sift dry ingredients together in large bowl. Set aside.Use one cup of the warm water to proof the yeast in the warm water with honey/agave (add the yeast to the water and honey stir; allow it to get poofy).

Add the proofed yeast to the dry ingredients; add the olive oil, remaining honey/agave, lemon juice and eggs; beat until a smooth batter forms. It should resemble smooth sticky muffin batter not as thin as cake batter, though. Add up to 1/4 cup more water if you need to.

Scrape the dough into greased loaf pan and smooth evenly (I use wet fingers).

Top with sesame seeds if using. Place the pan in a draft free spot. Allow the dough to rise until it domes nicely — from 45 to 50 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 350ºF.

Bake until it sounds hollow when tapped, 50 – 60 minutes. Let cool some before trying to slice.

Cindy, thank you so much for sharing here – this sounds yummy, especially using sesame seeds for a touch of nuttiness and crunch. PJH

18. Lisa Sams

I made these for myself this past Thanksgiving. I have tried many different recipes and pre-made items since being diagnosed with Celiac almost two years ago. This is so wonderful! For the first time, I didn’t feel left out. I even used a couple to make some stuffing balls for myself, which also turned out great. Thanks so much!

Glad to hear this recipe was a hit at your Thanksgiving! Thanks for letting us know. Barb@KAF