Let it snow, let it snow, let it Snow Globe: make your own cutter and join the snow globe fun

Snowglobe3C1H

This holiday season here at KAF, we’ve been making merry with our delightful new cookie cutter, a classic roly-poly snow globe. I can’t begin to tell you the fun we’ve had creating our own versions of these kitschy vacation souvenirs. In fact…

We’ve had so much fun we’ve decided to make it a part of our customer service holiday party, and let everyone have a chance to make one.

Wait. Let me back up and start at the beginning. First, you have to meet Brook.

Brook works in on our product development team, finding and testing so many of the great products we offer. I’ve known Brook for a long time, and she’s always been one of the most creative and unique people I’ve known.

Besides sewing her own clothes, making her own jewelry, creating costumes for local high school productions, and baking amazing gluten-free treats, Brook has been designing our cookie cutters for several months now. (No, this is not a staged photo. Brook really does dress like this everyday. Her vintage outfits are fascinating, and we look forward to them each day.)

I’m always so excited to see her new creations and squeeeed with joy over the snow globe when she showed it to me.

Isn’t it great? We made dozens of blank cookies with our Holiday Butter Cookie recipe. Then we whipped up a big batch of Royal Icing, and donned our aprons and thinking caps. Here are just a few of the cookies we created:

Our color scheme was blue, white, and yellow, but we just couldn’t resist the bright new fondant colors, so we made some of those, too. By the end of the day we were covered with sparkling sugar, edible glitter, and happiness.

Here’s one I made on the side, not related to our holiday theme at all:

I couldn’t resist using our Foodoodler markers for some really fine detail work. While you may think it’s a tribute to the movie, I really based it on part of the Great Movie Ride at DisneyWorld. Just let the icing dry to a firm layer, and color away!

Well, enough about us. We’d LOVE to have you join in the fun and make your own snow globe cookies. We know not everyone will have access to the copper cutter we’re selling, so here’s a quick tutorial on how to make your own snow globe cookie shapes.

First, search your cookie cutter drawer for some round cutters.

For each globe, cut one large circle for the globe, and one smaller circle for the base. Slice the base cookie in half, and use the edge of your smaller cutter to remove a semi-circle from the base of the large circle.

Join the two together and smooth out the joint. I’m not sure why I was being such a messy baker, getting crumbs in my dough, but do try to be neater than me for a smooth cookie finish.

No round cutters? Check the fridge and shelves for round lids. Yogurt, sour cream…

…and mayo all worked quite well.

Bake the cookies until golden brown, and cool completely before icing.

If you want to flood the entire cookie with icing, start by outlining, and then fill in the whole area with slightly thinned icing. Let dry for several hours before continuing.

If you want to add designs on the plain cookie, that works well, too. For a really bold look, try outlining your design in black first, letting those lines dry completely before moving on to the details.

Flood one color at a time, drying between colors

A toothpick or cocktail stick is a great tool for spreading icing into tight spaces.

A quick dusting of edible glitter or sparkling sugar really adds to the swirling snow-globe effect.

SO… are you ready to join in the snow globe adventure? GREAT! Because we’ve decided to host a snow globe decorating contest! You can enter a photo of your decorated  snow globe cookie on our Facebook page or on our community page. A panel of judges – including myself, Brook, and Wilhelm, our new pastry chef at the bakery – will pick our three favorites, and those folks will win some really great prizes, including a copy of our popular cookbook, The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion.

Click here to see all the fine print details. We’re so excited to see all the entries. The contest is open to all ages, all skill levels, and all snow globe lovers. Show off your skillz and be part of the wiggly-jiggly swirl of fun.

Quick FAQ:

*Does it have to be a snow globe? Well, to win a prize it would have to be some sort of snow globe, but we’d love to see any pictures of your cookies.

*Does it have to have a holiday/Christmas theme? Not at all. Bring on your best from the Boston Skyline to the Eiffel Tower to beautiful downtown Burbank, we want to see them all.

*Does it have to be edible? Yep, it does. We are a baking blog, after all. :)

*Can my kids enter? Yes, the contest is open to all ages.

Entries must be submitted by Dec. 18. Cookies will be judged by our panel of King Arthur experts on creativity, execution, and representation of the snow globe theme. A grand prize winner and two runners-up will be notified on December 19 and asked for permission to post their cookie photo and name on our King Arthur Facebook page.

Winners will be publicly announced on December 25 via our email newsletter; and on Facebook, the Baking Circle community, and Google+.

1stplace: $100 gift card and a personally autographed copy of The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook.

2ndplace: $50 gift card and a personally autographed copy of The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook.

3rd place: $25 gift card and a personally autographed copy of The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion cookbook.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Valerie

Great idea! I am a bit jealous of the bright colors for your icing. I can never get a good black, it always is just a yucky gray. Do you have any suggestions?

Gel paste colors are the answer, Valerie – they’re brilliant hues; yes, black is pitch black. And a little goes a lonnnnng way, unlike regular liquid food colors. Try ‘em sometime – PJH

For the blackest black, I use cocoa to make dark brown icing first, then use plenty of black gel to get the deep dark color. ~ MaryJane

2. jaxbeachteach

Love the idea and will get right on it…as soon as school gets out! I have been using your cookie cutters for years and really appreciate when you offer them in smaller sizes. While bigger is easier to decorate, smaller is better for portion control. Thanks!
    Great! Can’t wait to see your cookies. ~ MaryJane

3. Lizzybee

These are SO CUTE! I think my 6-yr-old would love to do these, got to pick up those markers!
    Super! Be sure to let the icing dry overnight if you are using it. I’ve had markers sink through the crust when I’ve been too impatient. Can’t wait to see the creativity! ~ MaryJane

4. "Paul from Ohio"

Oh soooooooooooooooooo creative! And I love the round cutter options that most of us probably have around. The black outlined filled design is amazing – really looks extra 3D and a sprinkle of sugar for the snowing inside look is great. Our first snow today, and hey hey hey, let’s make coooooookies! Look out, I just might post something IF, and it might be a BIG IF, it turns out looking like anything! LOL!
    How about a doggie inspired snow globe? ;) ~ MaryJane

5. misoranomegami

@MaryJane BRILLIANT! I have a bag of the ultra dark cocoa and it never occurred to me to mix some in. Normally by the time I get a good black you can literally taste the dye. :P
    Black can be such a beautiful accent color, but it is always one of those colors that is WORK to get to. Not to mention the black streaks on my hands, face, apron, work station, feet, elbows… ;) ~ MaryJane

6. KarlaJ

Your ideas are adorable, I love the blue and white! I just recently caught the cookie decorating bug and I just bought this cutter. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with. Now we just need some snow!

7. susanletney

I’ll bet that if you turned the cutter upside down, you could also decorate this as Santa’s bag of presents–what do you think?
    Brilliant! ~Amy

We saw goldfish bowl when we turned it upside down, but love the bag of presents idea. ~ MaryJane

8. jtdavies

Brook looks like she might be a swing dancer.

I have a whole lot less time for baking since I discovered the Lindy Hop. Less time for cleaning too, unfortunately.
    I’m not sure, I’ll have to ask her. I’m sure she’s got the outfits though! ~ MaryJane

9. dmcascio

How are you getting the “snowflakes” (glitter or sparkling sugar) to stick at the end? A bit of egg white? All the colors would be dry, so am not sure how to approach this. Thanks.
    The edible glitter is so fine that it will stick pretty well to the surface of the cookies even after they are baked and the icing is dry. ~Amy

10. lauracatlover

Just wondering what the actual deadline is for the contest – the page says both the 12th and the 18th?
    The deadline is the 18th. I’ll ask the team to update the line that says 12th. Thanks for letting us know! ~ MaryJane

11. natetowne

Rock. On. This is the perfect excuse to try a few new techniques I learned from your blog, which were INCREDIBLY helpful, by the way. I can’t wait to start decorating!
    And we can’t wait to see what you come up with! ~ MaryJane

12. CheesecakeBaker

Awesome! Can’t wait to dive into this! How I make black is to start with some of my leftover frostings & mix them together. This usually gives me dark purple, dark green or dark blue & then it doesn’t take as much black to finish it off.
    Great idea! I’ll have go give that a try next time. ~ MaryJane

13. llwhitley

Can we use any type of icing that we want to use or do we need to stick to using royal icing?

I love the snowglobe idea. We have a meet-and-greet after our holiday parade Saturday. I make the only decorated cookies that we use. Normally, I make round ones, but I should think about snowglobes instead. I’m baking the cookies today so I better think fast about this.

Any icing you like is fine – whatever floats your boat (or shakes your snow globe!) :) PJH

14. Teresa F.

This sounds like fun and I’m going to give it a try. Could you tell me where on the Baking Circle to post a submission? I don’t use facebook or google plus. Thanks!

Sure, Teresa – Just post a photo via the link “add photos,” very bottom of the left nav, under “quick adds.” We’ll find it! PJH

15. katesull

I love this contest! Ever since i saw your snow globe cookie cutter I have been planning to make snow globes for Christmas gifts. I moved up my baking schedule because I thought the contest closed the 12th.
    Whew! We could all use the extra time this time of year! Elisabeth

16. Laura

Do you sell the tiny stars on the Wizard of Oz snow globe? Love that! My 2 snow globe cutters arrived yesterday, can’t wait to play.

17. sc71bc

We just had a cookie decorating party at my house and I received my snow globe cookie cutter just in time. I would like to submit at least the ones created by my own family and possibly the other people at my party. Is it possible to attach more than one photo and just name whose is whose? Thanks for starting the contest – it sparked a lot of fun and creative decorating!

Yes, please post to our Facebook page, our community, or to Google+, if you’re in our Google+ circle, and we’ll be happy to put them in the contest folder. I’ll look forward to seeing them! PJH

18. jcbridge

Oh, wow! I just created snowglobe cookies (you can see them on my blog at: http://www.thearmymom.com/2011/12/snow-globe-cookies.html) and do let me tell you, I AM IN LOVE with your little polarbear sugar on-lay. I called on Thursday to see if there was ANY way to have some rushed to me and unfortunately, the nice lady that answered your phone had to tell me no (the cookies were for a holiday work party and I had no time to prepare an order in advance.) But the NEXT time I make my snowglobes, I will have your polarbears on them! SOOO cute! Thank you for all you do – I saw the commercial featuring your business the other day and smiled BIG for you – your success is so well deserved and admired!

Best wishes for your continued success, perfect health and happiness at Christmas and always!

Janet
    Janet, I adore your cookies. The little white “snowball” sprinkles really added to the look, so creative. Thank you so much for sharing. ~ MaryJane