Stuffed Breakfast Crescent: easy and satisfying

Stuffing.

You’re thinking bread cubes, onions, herbs, celery, a bit of broth, right?

Or maybe a bag of Stovetop.

Well, think again. When it comes to this breakfast bread, “stuffing” runs a whole different (and tasty) gamut of possibilities.

Think breakfast sausage, browned to perfection. And mushrooms, sautéed to concentrate their flavor.

Think sharp cheddar cheese. And a touch of garlic.

Best of all, think EASY.

The last thing you want to do Christmas morning is fool around with a complicated baking project.

Place the following in a mixing bowl:

1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons instant yeast

Mix until cohesive, then knead for about 7 minutes (in a stand mixer), or 10 minutes (by hand), until the dough is soft, smooth, and perhaps a tiny bit sticky. You can also make the dough in your bread machine set on the dough setting.

If you’re kneading in a mixer, it helps to stop midway through and scrape the sticky dough away from the sides and off the bottom of the bowl.

Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or 8-cup measure, cover it, and allow it to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until it’s just about doubled in bulk.

I like to use this measuring cup for dough-rising; it’s so easy to track the dough’s growth.

While the dough is rising, stir together the filling ingredients.

Mix the following:

1 3/4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced and lightly sautéed
3/4 pound breakfast sausage, cooked and crumbled, fat removed; 1 scant cup
2 teaspoons fresh crushed garlic
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Gently deflate the risen dough. On a lightly floured or lightly greased work surface, roll it into a 9″ x 15″ rectangle.

Sprinkle the filling atop the dough, leaving a 1″ border at the edges. Roll the dough up jelly-roll style, starting with a long edge. Pinch the seams well, and tuck the side edges under, pinching them to seal.

Pick up the log of dough and transfer it, seam-side down, to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape it into a crescent or horseshoe shape.

Make cuts (about 1/2″ deep) at 1″ intervals across the top of the loaf.

Cover the crescent with greased plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.

Now, at this point, you can tent the crescent with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight. Makes for a VERY easy breakfast the next day.

You can also bake it as directed below, then cool, refrigerate overnight, and rewarm individual slices the next day.

You can also bake it immediately and enjoy it hot out of the oven.

Totally up to you which path you take – they’re all delicious.

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.

Bake the crescent for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it’s golden brown. It should puff up nicely.

Allow the crescent to cool for 10 minutes before serving warm.

This stuffed bread holds together nicely. It’s easy to eat out of hand, rather than off a plate – perfect for the frenzy of Christmas morning!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Stuffed Breakfast Crescent.

comments

1. bgwilson

Thanks, PJ! All we need is juice and coffee and it’s a meal! Read this blog daily and love it! Happy Holidays!

And we all wish you a VERY happy holiday too – with lots of good food, good friends, and peace. PJH

2. kathyd

Yum! Do you think I could make it Christmas Eve afternoon and leave it in the fridge until morning? Do you think 3pm is too early to have this done and put in the fridge for Christmas breakfast? I’m thinking I might just have to try this one out.

No guarantees, Kathy – I haven’t tried doing it that early. But my educated guess is it would be just fine… the fridge should slow it down enough. You could also cut the yeast to 1 teaspoon, which will automatically slow it down. Enjoy – PJH

3. mikjoy2

Looks delicious PJ. I would like to make it tonight and bake in the morning to take to work. When I take it out of the fridge in the morning, does it need to rise again and if so for how long. I don’t see that in the directions.

Thanks to all of you for a great year of inspiration. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all.

Joyce

Joyce, if you let it rise before refrigerating, then no, it doesn’t need to rise any more. Just let it rest at room temperature while you preheat your oven, and pop it in. You’ll probably have to bake about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Enjoy! PJH

4. bobette

As we do not like mushrooms – could I scramble eggs, let cool, and then add to the sausage and cheese?

If I refrigerate this to have ready for baking in the am, do I need to let it sit out to come to room temperature before baking?

Thanks for all the great recipes during the year.
    I would probably not use eggs, as they will probably become over-cooked and rubbery. You could, however, use any other veggie and/or meat combination that you like! Happy Baking! ~Mel

1. Jan Mattson

I use a recipe similar to this one. I use 2 to 3 bunches of green onions cooked with the sausage– a mixture of hot and mild sausage. I then sprinkle rolled out dough lightly with a seasoned salt and garlic powder. Put cooked sausage/onion mixture on dough and top with approx 2 cups of cheese–mild or sharp or a combination. Then roll up and bake as directed.

Nice touch, Jan, the scallions and seasoned salt – I’m sure they add wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing! PJH

5. Sue

We have made stuffed bread for years and years..stuffed it with almost everything you can think of! One unexpected big hit was leftover artichoke dip.(our dip is way more chunky than dippy)
    I noticed in the photo how clean your oven is. With all the baking that goes on there,who gets that job???
    Thanks for all the amazing recipes and help you have given over the years!!
    Hugs,Sue

Sue, have to confess – it’s a new oven. We just had it replaced after about 7 years of hard use… Don’t worry, it’ll be black and messy soon, like everyone else’s! And hugs to you, too – PJH

6. Tilly

Could I substitute ham or bacon instead of the sausage??
    Of course–just be sure to cook it first! You can switch up the filling to use whatever you enjoy most–or have on hand! Happy Baking! ~Mel

7. takefive34

Happiest of holidays, P.J.!! Would be making this recipe in a heartbeat……….except we’re going to be at my sister’s house, and she makes Christmas bread from our family recipe! Hmmm, there’s always New Year’s, right??

Also, have really enjoyed the Google ad featuring you and some of your co-workers – love the end that states “King Arthur Flour, a 220-year-old start-up”!!! How cool is that!!!!!
    Thank you for sharing your kind words with us. Happy Holidays! ~Mel

8. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ, BRAZIL

Hi, PJ and all KAF’s staff. This dough is a versatile way to various kinds of fillings and i use it always when i need nice browning breads with some crispy skin and deliciously smooth crumble. I suggest to brush olive oil on top, just before going to oven. It confers much more crispier out of this DELICIOUS recipe.
    I make a stop here this friday morning just to congratulate all you at KAF at the turn off lights of this one more fantastic year of great joining us on recipe tips!!!!!
    You follow holding us with emotions, post after post!!!!!
    Thanks for all!!
    Hope you could give soon a try at that Yellow Brazilian Pudding we call here QUINDIM, full of egg yolks. Yellow is the color of sun and sunny days. Hope when u start to baking it, the KAF’s kitchen turns full of brightness and this brightness could act as a light in all KAF’s members to help you create new delicious at 2012!!!

I’ve looked at Quindim recipes, Ricardo – as you say they’re full of egg yolks, and very yellow – very cheery. Have never tried one, though – maybe in 2012! Thanks for connecting here – and we wish you happy holidays, and a very good 2012 for you, your family, and your bakery. PJH

9. jbljd

Thanks so much for the delicious recipe! I used bacon (as requested by my nephew) instead of sausage, I put it in the refrigerator last night and baked it this morning. We cooked up some eggs and had a wonderful Christmas breakfast!

10. debdevo

I made this bread over the weekend (stuffed with sausage and cheese) and it was great. I thought the cheese within the bread dough was a bit of a waste, as my hubby said he couldn’t even taste it (in the ends where there was no filling). I recently bought cheddar cheese powder and was thinking of using that in the dough instead. Could you suggest an amount of cheddar cheese powder that would make the dough taste cheesy?

Try adding between 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Cheddar Cheese Powder to the dough. Frank @ KAF.

11. Karen

Oh YUM!!! I am ALWAYS looking for new breakfast dishes. I want to try this just the way it is and then on try #2 add maybe some soft scrambled eggs and also maybe some hash browns to the sausage mixture. Then… on try #3 maybe make it with soft scramble eggs and hashbrowns only… Oh the possibilities are endless.

THANK YOU, thank you for all your great recipes. I have tried many of them and they have become favorites that I make often.

Karen
    karensplaceontheweb@me.com

12. Rachel

This looks delicious! Would be perfect for Christmas morning! Any chance of posting Gluten Free version?

Always a chance, we are constantly testing new gluten free recipes. I will add it to our customer wishlist!-Jon

13. Shannon

How many adults would this serve? It would be part of a breakfast buffet. Looks great! Thank you & Merry Christmas!
    I guess it depends on your adults, but at least 6, I’d say. ~ MaryJane

You could mix this dough in a food processor. Please use the plastic blade. After the dough has come together, knead it for just one minute. ~Jaydl@KAF