Cape Cod Soft Molasses Cookies: looking for love…

DSC_0788

If there’s one thing I particularly love here at King Arthur Flour, it’s the challenge posed by readers wanting to replicate a favorite treat they’ve enjoyed at a restaurant or bakery.

Pamela’s pancakes in Pittsburgh, Baltimore’s famous Berger cookies

Or the ginger-molasses cookies from a certain bakery on Cape Cod.

A couple of months ago, “nancyapoet” posted the following blog comment on our gingersnaps recipe:

“I REALLY like the ginger taste (from cookies remembered from when we lived on Cape Cod) and have been trying to replicate them ever since (they were bakery-bought). Does anyone use grated ginger in addition to the ground spice? I also add the crystallized ginger bits. I’m also going to try out black pepper as an ingredient – I am the type to go to the ends of the earth to ‘recover’ the cookie taste I remember from the Cape!”

After another clue from Nancy (the bakery was known for its chicken pot pies) and a bit of research, we tracked down what we thought might be the bakery:

Pies à la Mode, in Falmouth, a delightful shop right next to the library on Main Street.

Chicken pot pie: check, right there over the front door.

But how about molasses cookies?

Success! These must be the cookies Nancy loves so much.

We bought; we tasted; we agreed.

Delicious.

The gauntlet had been thrown. Time to re-create these at home.

Here’s a closeup, to get us started on our journey.

They’re moist, but not “wet.” Nicely chewy/bendy; and they taste very strongly of both ginger, and cloves.

This shouldn’t be TOO tough, right?

Well, no – “shouldn’t” being the operative word.

But as it turned out – it was.

Long story short: I took one of my favorite molasses-raisin cookie recipes, added oatmeal (to match Pie’s cookies), substituted diced crystallized ginger for raisins, added fresh ginger, and fooled around with the spices.

SCORE! Very close match. The only real difference was the spices; Pie’s cookies tasted strongly of cloves, which I don’t love, so I used milder allspice instead.

Satisfied with this unexpectedly quick success, I carted a stack of cookies to my north window photo area, took their “beauty shot,” and sat down to write up the new recipe.

One problem: I hadn’t noted all the changes I’d made.

You know how it is in the heat of battle, with ideas tumbling over one another like breakers on the beach…

“What if I grind the oats? Should I reduce the amount of flour? If I leave the oats whole and DON’T reduce the flour, will it change the cookies’ texture?”

“Hmmm, better write all this down. Nah, I’ll remember…”

Or not.

When I sat down to write up the recipe, I realized I wasn’t sure about some of the changes I’d made. So I remembered as best I could, and baked them again.

DARN! They weren’t quite right.

Namely, the cookies were missing their distinctive crinkled tops. I usually don’t care too much about looks, but these had been SO handsome the first time around.

Without the crinkles, they just looked… brown.

I changed the recipe slightly, and baked them again. Nope. More changes. Worse. Back to the original (maybe I just left something out?) No, and no, and no.

“The test kitchen” definitely earned its moniker on this one.

Thankfully, I finally managed to re-create those first successful cookies – using an entirely different recipe as a jumping-off point.

Note to self: you DO have a pencil. Next time – use it!

First, preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

Place the following in a mixing bowl:

3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

Mix until smooth.

Beat in 1 large egg, and then 1/3 cup molasses, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl to blend in any sticky residue.

Add the following:

2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup traditional or quick rolled oats
1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely diced; or mini diced ginger
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or to taste
heaping 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice or ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional; for depth of flavor and added color

Mix just until thoroughly combined.

Scoop the sticky dough into 1 1/2″ balls; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here. Roll the balls in sugar (either granulated or coarse), if desired; 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup should do it. This is easily done by sprinkling the sugar into an 8″ cake pan, and dropping the sticky dough into the pan. Shake the pan to coat the dough balls with sugar.

Space the cookies on the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2″ between them.

Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. The centers will look soft and puffy; that’s OK. Cookies baked for 8 minutes will be VERY soft; bake them for 10 minutes, they’ll be firmer.

They won’t really attain their crinkly tops until they cool; so don’t stress if they just look kinda plain and brown at this point.

Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the pan; or transfer to a rack to cool.

See what I mean about the crinkles? They develop as the cookies cool.

In front, our cookies; behind, Pie’s cookies. Theirs are darker, but taste/texture is very close.

Oh, and one last thing: Pie’s cookies have a very obvious sugar coating – one you won’t get simply by rolling the balls of cookie dough in sugar.

How to get this extra shower of sugar? Once you’ve spaced the dough balls on the baking sheet, drop a big pinch of additional sugar atop each one.

No extra sugar on this one, but LOVE those craggy crinkles – don’t you?

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Cape Cod Soft Molasses Cookies.

comments

1. sandra Alicante

PJ, I think yours look even better than the original. I just happen to have a good supply of ginger too….Chinese supermarkets sell it really cheaply in just about every form imaginable!

sandrascookbook.com

I look forward to hearing your comments about these on the community, Sandra – thanks for connecting here. PJH

2. Tonia

Hmmm. . .I made a molasses cookie that was based on my mom’s ginger “bends” (it was supposed to be snaps, but we liked them soft!) My recipe uses oil (one of the few I make that does). The reason that theirs might be darker is: if you make a huge batch (that’s what I did when I had my bakery) and only scoop what you need for each day, the first cookies are fairly light colored and the last cookies are darker — no change in flavor just change in color (usually over about a 7-10 day period). Now I’m going to go make my cookie w/added ginger! Thanks for the ideas :-)

And thank YOU for the “aging” idea, Tonia – I’ll definitely try it next time. PJH

3. pmpayne

This is so much like my favorite Soft Ginger Cookies. My recipe was printed in the Cumberland Congregational Church cookbook , A Whale of a Cookbook, published in about 1964. The only difference is the oatmeal and crystalized ginger. Mine come out looking just like yours. My family loves these cookies! I will now try them with the oatmeal and ginger. Thanks!

I’m sure there are many similar recipes floating around; it’s a classic. Was that Cumberland, Maine, by any chance? PJH

4. mikkianderson

Hey PJ don’t feel like the lone ranger, I forget to note my changes all the time! Keeps it interesting. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this one, I am mixing a batch as we speak. I think this will make a good addition to my freezer stash of ready to go cookie dough.

It’s the excitement of the moment, isn’t it, Mikki? The brain gets ahead of the hands. Well, the MANY test batches were all delicious – and fed lots of people at my brother-in-law’s workplace… PJH

5. Nissa

I bet if you refrigerated that dough overnight before baking the cookies, you would have a nice, dark, caramelized match that is dead on!

Nissa, I’ll try that – and it’s probably what the bakery does, I’d imagine. Thanks for the idea! PJH

6. CHeeb

I have been on the hunt for Rooster Brother’s molasses cookie recipe for years. Rooster Brothers is similar to your Cape pie shop. They reside in Ellsworth,Maine , and have a cookie in their coffee shop to die for. Anytime I hear the recipe is a secret, I am hopelessly hooked . I’ve corresponded with Susan Reid over the years to see if she can rekindle her Maine contacts to get the cookie recipe or their sandwich roll secrets for the Baking Sheet . Please don’t give up until you have tasted the Maine real thing !!

I haven’t given up at all – these cookies are wonderful. And I’m guessing I must have sampled Rooster Bros. at one time, as I used to live in Camden and we visited Ellsworth quite a bit for various high school sports trips… Wish I had one right now, for comparison! PJH

7. nancyapoet

I am over-the-moon that you “discovered” the recipe for the Beloved Cookies! I was so delighted to see “Cape Cod” in the title of the entry and just hoped it would be this follow-up, and it is. I know how much work must have gone into trying to replicate this formula — I kept trying myself, but never got even close — really, it must be your expertise in “sensing” what is missing — now I can delete all the “also-rans” on my computer. I have the candied ginger…I need the ginger root, which I better get before the storm tonight so I can look on the snow with my molasses cookie and think of Cape Cod…and you at King Arthur Flour. Thank you so much.
    Wish the other recipe I have been trying to duplicate since graduate school 30 years ago in Cleveland, is the spaghetti sauce from Aurora Restaurant, which I think I have almost duplicated (I think it has cocoa in it!)– wish it had flour in it so you all could perform another miracle!!

8. Becky In Greensboro

When I think of molasses/ginger cookies, the big soft ones from the bakery at Old Sturbridge Village (more than 30 years ago) come to mind. They were almost cake-like. I have tried to duplicate them, so far without success. I’m still searching for the right combination of ingredients.

But the experiments are really fun and usually tasty.

Becky, I found this on our community: – PJH
    Reply by amgbooth on July 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm
    badge: Community Member

Old Sturbridge Village in Mass published a tiny booklet of their cookies which I loved. It is copyrighted 1964, but I bought it for my grandmother in 1981. In it there are 2 recipes that might fit the bill. Lumberjacks and Pine Tree Shillings.

Lumberjacks
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup shortening
    1 cup dark molasses
    2 eggs
    4 cups sifted flour
    1 tsp soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger

Cream together the sugar and shortening. Add molasses and unbeaten eggs. Mix well. Sift together the dry ingredients and stir in. Put 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Dip fingers into the sugar, then pinch off a ball of dough and roll it to the size and shape of a walnut. Dip the rolled ball into the bowl of sugar. Place balls on greased cookie sheetabout 3 inches apart. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. this recipe makes 4 dzn large soft cookies, 24 to a standard cookie sheet. The dough will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.

9. RQM

Molasses cookies – my all-time favorite. This is definitely a must-try since I do love the flavor of ginger.

My recipe is a fairly simple one and they come out a nice dark brown. I use Grandma’s molasses. Could that possibly resolve the color difference?

Another cookie that I find absolutely irresistable is a ‘trail’ cookie available in some delis in Seattle, WA. They are huge and thick and chewy and takes me a week to eat. They are packed with nuts, oatmeal, cranberries, dates, seeds, maybe orange zest and god knows what else. I have searched high and low for a similar sounding recipe and no cigar. Maybe someday, in one of your conscience-striken healthy moments, I’ll run across it here, yeah?

GO PJH!!!!

10. AnneInWA

PJ,

These look amazing! I don’t have crystalized ginger on hand right now, can I just use the fresh and omit the crystalized? I know it will not be the same…Also, did you use blackstrap molasses or just the regular? Oh, and to get the darker color, maybe substitute some of the granulated sugar for dark brown?

Thanks PJ, now I have gotta bake…AGAIN!
    Yes, you may use fresh ginger and either molasses will work. The blackstrap will provide a more intense flavor, though. ~Amy

11. bora555

Oh my don’t those look heavenly!! Can’t wait to get home to try this recipe out. I love the addition of oatmeal. As to the color issue; what about molasses? in the photo from the bakery is says “Ginger, Oatmeal, Molasses”. Could that be the missing colorant? Not that it is neccessary – your look perfect just as they are!

12. ishani

This recipe looks and sounds like Molly Katzen’s Mrs. Burshaphaur’s Molasses Cookies, minus the oatmeal and black pepper, which have always been a favorite of my daughters.

13. martibeth

Hi PJ, this recipe looks great. I have my own request from your Test Kitchen: Please try to duplicate the raspberry cheesecake cookies that Subway sells. I personally have not tried them, but my youngest son and his girlfriend (who works there) says they are “awesome.” They can’t stop raving about them. If you could just add that to your list of projects, I’d appreciate it. Thanks, and Happy New Year.

14. gaa

Hey PJ, I am from Pittsburgh and have eaten Pamela’s pancakes many, many times! Next time you are in my neck of the woods, give a shout and I’ll treat you at Pamela’s!

I have a wonderful recipe for a ginger molasses cookie that I got from the Pittsburgh Post- Gazette years ago. I make it every year for Christmas (in fact I ate the last one from this year just last night!) The recipe I use is great because it makes a thick, substantial cookie with wonderful spicy flavor (courtesy of KAF Vietnamese cinnamon, simply THE BEST, and freshly grated dried ginger). However, I am intrigued to try adding both the fresh ginger and the crystallized ginger as well as the black pepper ( KAF’s guaranteed pumpkin pie recipe calls for black pepper and it really does enhance the flavor without overpowering). Questions to you — do I have to make adjustments to the amount of flour to allow for the moisture in the fresh ginger? Will adding crystallized ginger have an effect on the dough that I need to consider?
    You should be fine making these additions without altering the ratios at all. ~Amy

15. fran16250

Oh PJ the sacrifices you must make for your job. What an imposition it must have been to travel all the way to Cape Cod and track down all those yummy samples. I do feel so sorry for you! (LOL)
    I try to remember to jot down my tweaks when I change a recipe, which is fairly often. I also jot down when I made it and who liked it. When I come upon the receipe again it brings back fond memories.
    I have to admit I am afraid of this recipe. I once tried a piece of candied ginger straight up and I paid for it for some time, way too spicy for my delicate pallette. I’d be afraid these cookies would be too bitey for my tastes; a half a cup seems like a lot of ginger.
    Keep up the “Hard” work.

16. deede

PJ, your recipe–except for the add-ins–looks amazingly similar to my grandmother’s recipe for molasses cookies. I’m in my mid-50s and live in Arkansas. (Were she still living, she’d now be 95.)
    I usually only make these around the holidays; it keeps them special to my daughter and my brothers, who remember her with love.
    I’ll try yours as a ‘winter treat’ and see what they say.
    Thanks!

17. ckwalsh

These sound good just wondering what the calorie count and nutritional information is for these cookies?
    I apologize that this information is not currently available. You can calculate nutritional information for recipes here. ~Amy

18. Laura

When I saw this Molasses cookie I really wanted to try it! Is there anyway to get around using so much baking soda? I need to be careful about sodium content. I have found sodium free baking powder but not baking soda. I had the same issue with your Soft Ginger-Molasses cookies. I can cut back on the salt you use but cutting back on the baking soda was a problem.
    You may try this recipe using one tablespoon of baking powder in place of the soda. ~Amy

19. horlando

Perhaps if you used a little corn syrup in place of some of the sugar, the cookies would be darker. In food scientist Shirley O. Corriher’s cookbook “Cookwise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Cooking,” she has a section on baking cookies and how to change the look and texture by making small changes to the basic recipe. For darkening the cookies, she recommends making the above change.

I plan on making these cookies later today. They look delicious and I know they will make the house smell fantastic!

20. Pattypro

PJ,
    I have a couple of recipes which produce chewy molasses/ginger cookies, but neither produces a thick cookie. (Freezing the dough doesn’t make a difference.) I’m not looking for Mt. Everest, but I’d like one that is thicker. It’s difficult to tell from your photos, but how would you say the thickness compares, say to a choc. chip or snickerdoodle?

Patty, this recipe doesn’t make a thick cookie. But for a thicker cookie, try this Soft Molasses Raisin Cookie recipe, adding 1/2 cup ground oats to keep the cookies from spreading as much. Hope this is what you’re looking for – PJH

21. takefive34

Hi, P.J.!!

Our family has a long-time recipe for molasses cookies – they’re known as Daddy Cookies as they were my dad’s favorite. One of the ingredients is bacon fat (perfect excuse for bacon and eggs for a weekend breakfast!!!). They’re a soft cookie with that indefinable flavor from the bacon fat………..but oh so delicious!! My brother always gets a “care package” when he visits one of his sisters!!

Well, it’s true, bacon is appearing EVERYWHERE these days – and I’m sure many an old-time New England baker used bacon fat in her cookies, just as she used lard. Thanks for your description – they sound GOOD. PJH

22. glpruett

I’ve been wanting a very soft ginger cookie, with a significant spicy “bite” to it, and this recipe is just that! I didn’t have any fresh ginger in the house, so I just increased the ground ginger by a half-teaspoon. I also substituted oat flour for the rolled oats, and I couldn’t be happier with the results.

Just one question…I wanted to forward this recipe to my sister via email, which I’ve done before with other recipes from the KAF site, but I can’t find the link for that, either on the blog or the recipe page. Have you changed something, or am I just not seeing something?

Glad these are “just what the doctor ordered.” Take a look at the right-hand side of the recipe – there’s a little row of colored icons. Click the first one, an envelope, to email. Enjoy! And thanks for sharing. PJH

23. kygin

I was skeptical about the black pepper but added it anyway. Oh, my goodness! Delicious! I ate my half of the cookies and half of my husband’s half (much to his dismay). PJ Hamel, you will be the death of me yet.

No, not that! We need all the bakers out there to keep on baking, keep this craft alive… and keep on enjoying those cookies! :) PJH

24. "Gertrude Novi"

Your pictures are RIGHT ON – - Just made a batch of the molasses cookies – - are not lasting very long – - even my neighbor likes them and he is one fussy dude – - only change I made from your recipe – - did not have the fresh ginger and I omitted the ground black pepper. This recipe is definitely a KEEPER and now in my file to make them again. Thank you!!!

Our pleasure, Gertrude – PJH

25. Marie

I am crystalizing a batch of ginger right now, with plans to make these cookies tomorrow. A byproduct of the crystallizing process is wonderful ginger tea, a cup of which was perfect for this cold evening.

Oooh, that tea sounds delicious right about now. I’ve made ginger syrup from fresh ginger, but haven’t crystallized it. Thanks for sharing here, Marie, because now I know it can be done at home – and I’ll definitely give it a try! PJH

26. aak

Ok, so how about that Pamela’s pancake recipe? :) That video cracked me up! I’ve spent many a morning trying to duplicate those fondly remembered crispy edges. :)

If ANYONE has the Pamela’s Pancake recipe, I wish they’d share it – it’s pretty much impossible to find… they have to have LOTS of butter and eggs, and pretty sure of that. Maybe I need to take a field trip to Pittsburgh… :) PJH

27. pmlmrcs

you need to take a field trip to pittsburgh. they are the best. get the banana chocolate pancakes. you won’t regret going.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve never been to Pittsburgh – it’s time I visited that historic U.S. city… my Irish ancestors first settled in Braddock, PA, so the Pittsburgh area is actually the land of my forebears! PJH

28. gaa

PJ – just let us know when you are planning your trip to Pittsburgh! I would be happy to meet you at Pamela’s and treat you to some pancakes!!

Also, to Pattypro, you asked PJ for a ginger molasses cookie recipe that produced a thicker cookie. Here is the link for the recipe that I use. I got it out of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette back in December of 2003 (I can’t believe that it has been that long!!). These ginger cookies are chewy and chubby and just the best!

I am technically challenged so if for some reason the above does not get you to the recipe, go to Yahoo or Google and type “chewy ginger cookies sparkle tray”. That will give you a list of results with the recipe at or near the top. Enjoy!

Thanks so much – and don’t worry about the link, it works just fine… PJH

29. Karen L.

These cookies rock!! I renamed them “The Best Chewy Molasses Cookies Ever”! Thank you.

And thanks so much for the endorsement, Karen! :) PJH

30. tommarie

I just made 5 dozen (doubled the recipe) of these cookies. I forgot to roll them in the sugar before baking, but even so, they are delicious. I hope they will do well frozen, as I like to keep home baked cookies in the freezer to share and to enjoy when the mood strikes but the ambition to do anything about it, like baking, doesn’t. Thank you for this great recipe.

I’m sure these will freeze well – enjoy! PJH

31. tommarie

Yes, you can crystalize ginger. It takes time, but works beautifully. I peel, thinly slice and weight the ginger. I cover it with water and bring that to a boil and boil for 30 minutes and then drain, reserving the liquid (which I save in the refrigerator for tea, but you must dilute before using it for that purpose as it will be strong). Then, I add the same weight of sugar as the ginger weighed after it was sliced. and a couple of tablespoons of water. I bring that to a boil, then turn down a bit and allow it to cook until the sugar is absorbed. You can then cool it and toss it is sugar, coarse or otherwise, if you wish. It keeps well, tightly covered. Nice as gifts in a pretty container. I should add, concerning crystallizing ginger, it takes A LONG TIME, for the sugar to be absorbed and for it to crystallize, but it works.

Thanks – I’ll try this. PJH

32. sundance183

I am looking for a recipe like the one described by Becky from Greensboro. My grandmother used to make them, and “frost” them by using a confectioner’s sugar frosting and a writing tip. Every kid in our little town in northern NH came running for Mimi Hill’s “Scribbly Cookies!
    `
    I just posted the recipe I think Becky might be looking for on her question – take a look and see if they might be “Scribbly Cookies,” too. PJH

33. Kathleen S

Can I make these with your Soft Diced Ginger, which I have in the cupboard? Do I need to make any adjustments?
    Kathleen

Absolutely, Kathleen – perfect use for it, no adjustments needed. Enjoy – PJH

34. GinnyM

I love ginger molasses cookies, and these have a great flavor. But for some reason, mine turned out extremely flat, a bit greasy and undercooked after 10 minutes. Any advice to get a better texture? Thanks!

What flour did you use, Ginny – King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose? If not, then that could be the issue. It’s important, because other flours will have different protein levels, and could produce the results you describe. It sounds like not enough flour (which would mimic lower protein levels); too much fat; or sometimes, too much sugar can produce this result. If you have a scale, it really helps with getting your measurements super-accurate. You might want to call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717, to discuss this further – PJH

35. boylan

I made these cookies last weekend. I used the King Art AP flour and a scale and mine, too, were pretty flat and were underdone at 10 minutes. So, no problem, I baked them for 12 minutes and used the convection fan. They came out crisp around the edges and soft in the center with a beautiful brown color. Also I dipped the upper hemisphere of the dough ball into the sparkling sugar rather than regular sugar. I wouldn’t omit the pepper because it adds a very nice sensation. Delicious cookies. Hard to stop at just one.

Hmmm, not sure why they came out so flat… But glad they worked out well for you. If you don’t want them quite so flat, try not greasing the pan; they have enough fat that you should be able to slide them off even an ungreased pan… PJH

36. jlongeville

For years I have been on a quest for a good molasses cookie. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted but knew I would know once I found it. EUREKA!!! (trumpets sound!!) These are the best damn cookies I have ever made. Whether it is the crystalized ginger or the fresh ginger I do not know. I just know this is a cookie I will make time and time again.

Awwww… you don’t know how happy this makes us, to help someone find “the best damn cookies” ever! Thanks for taking the time to share your enthusiasm here – PJH

37. PamJWM

These are amazing! They are the prefect soft, chewy molasses/ginger cookie I have *also* been looking for, for years! I love that they call for fresh ginger. I did make a few modifications: 1) I used brown sugar instead of white 2) I used a whole white flour (basically a white flour with added fibre) and used a little less.
    They’re just so fabulous! Thank you!!!

And thanks for sharing your enthusiasm here, Pam – love your tweaks… PJH

38. lauried

These are quite tasty and deliciously spicy! Mine had the same issues as the others with the flatness, greasiness, and longer baking times. I always use a scale and your KA flour. Could the the type/brand of molasses might make a difference?

I’m flummoxed, Laurie – I just didn’t have that issue. Cookies will definitely flatten if they have a bit too much sugar or liquid, so the molasses MIGHT be an issue. Also, I bake mine on an ungreased non-stick pan – I wonder if baking on a greased pan makes them spread too much? PJH

39. chinchillalover

I’m making a big dinner tonight(chunky tomato soup quiche and something for dessert) and these will be perfect for dessert!

40. DWgirl

Could I leave out the crystallized ginger?

You could; the cookies would have less texture and “chew”, but they’d still work fine. Susan

41. cookies14056

First of all-thank you to the person on the phone for helping me get into this information-she was very nice and helpful.
    Now the Review for Cape Cod Soft Molasses Cookies: I have never liked Molasses cookies, so I thought this would be the last chance, so I will try them. I’m a Scratch Baker and have a home baking business. I did exactly what the recipe says, except that I doubled it and they looked exactly like the picture. I don’t think that you can give a review without exactly following the recipe-the Cookies were fabulous-the best that I’ve ever had for Molasses cookies! Doubling the recipe made 68 cookies. I took several to Sunday school and they were gone, then our church went to an assisted living place Sunday night, and I took the rest. I told them about the cookies, how I grated the fresh ginger, etc. They were older citizens and they remembered the old recipes with Molasses. They loved them! One guy sitting by himself touched my shoulder and wanted more! I was elated. People came up to me and commented about the cookies-they all loved them. Thank you sooooo much – I even liked them myself and they are a “Keeper”. I love the e-mails, newsletters, and bulletins. I will continue to use the King Arthur products!

Wow! We value these comments on our customer service, bakers hotline calls and your enthusiastic review of this recipe. May you continue your happy baking! Irene @ KAF

42. laurieb

I love these cookies! Nice, soft, chewy & tasty. The first batch I made came out perfect, not too spread out with nice crackly tops, a lot like the photo on the recipe page. Since then I have yet to make them so perfect, following the same recipe each time. They flatten out too much. I often use 1/2 white and 1/2 brown sugar, which I think I had done the first time. I’m a little over 5000 feet, so usually make a few adjustments, I just don’t know if I did that for the first batch. I’ve tried baking at different temperatures, and still can’t get the same texture as the first. For that first batch I used some old crystallized ginger that was quite dry. I’ve since purchased more, but it’s not so dry. I’ve tried mincing it and drying it out ahead of time, but that hasn’t helped. How can I make them not flatten out and remain crackly?If the ginger was dry the first time and they came out just right, that may indicate that you need to add a little more flour. Try 2-4 tablespoons and see it that makes a difference.

43. Ginny DeChristofaro

First, love the friendly style and the pictures of the different stages are very helpful…….would like to see also in a blog a highlite of a spice or a dried fruit, nut, or different flour…the catalogue is chock full of products I find interesting, but maybe don’t know the best way of using….whatever you do will be wonderful..Ginny

44. akiko

pictures for every recipe….more savory recipes….how about doing taste comparison blogs about your products ( flours, flavorings, etc) vs more common supermarket brands?

Thanks for these suggestions, Akiko. We’ve forwarded them to our Customer Observations. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

45. GirlG

Could you replicate the rocky road cookies that meijer sells in those big plastic tubs? I’ve been trying to recreate the recipe, but end up with an epic fails.

Your request has been added to our queue – but like you we find so many recipes, so little time? In the meantime, try these websites: http://www.copykat.com or http://www.hungrybrowser.com. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

46. caulaysmom

I have read over the comments and I also had the problem of these cookies going flat, which really got my goat! This doesn’t usually happen to me, I used KAF AP, scaled the ingredients, creamed properly, chilled the dough, chilled again after portioning ( I almost always do this with cookies), used parchment paper, used the cookie sheets from your web-site and they came out very flat! The were puffed up when they came out then they sank and looked like they were greasy, they tasted fine but did not look good. I threw them out! No one in the house would touch them because the are use to my cookies looking much better, my mother-in-law laughed, I think she quite enjoyed them even though she wouldn’t eat them! What went wrong! The only difference I had was that I just had the heating element in my oven replaced and it is running hot but I have a thermometer in my oven and accommodated for it, all the other cookies I have made have been fine with the new element.
    I usually take cookies to a class I attend at the local college and it was the last day of school and showed up empty handed, the rumor is everyone is mad at me! Can you believe that, it’s not like they bring anything! Before this drives me crazy please give me some suggestions, please!

Sorry to hear about your troubles with this recipe! Please feel free to call our Baker’s Hotline so we can troubleshoot the problem.-Jon 855 371 2253

47. Maria

I’m very upset! I just made these cookies for the first time today, they came out flat and greasy. The only thing I can think of is that I didn’t put enough flour or that the flour in Italy is a bit different than the flour in the States. I will try again.

Flour in Italy is definitely different, Maria – and probably lower protein. I’d suggest using more flour (not sure how much more, since I don’t know what flour you’re using) – but you want to try for a stiffer dough, OK? These will definitely be flat – not tall and domed; but they shouldn’t be greasy… Hope you try them again. PJH