Double-Dark Mocha Drops: Chocolate. Vanilla. And cinnamon. Plus espresso.

BlogCookie

From the National Confectioners’ Association Web site: “A recent survey revealed that 52% of U.S. adults said they like chocolate best. The second favorite flavor was a tie (at 12% each) between berry flavors and vanilla.”

Meanwhile, the International Ice Cream Association (Washington, D.C.) says America’s favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla (29%), with chocolate a distant second (8.9%).

So, my fellow Americans, which is it – chocolate, or vanilla?

Here at King Arthur Flour, our seat-of-the-pants surveys say that the two flavors are equally beloved. We run a sale on our jumbo-sized bottles of vanilla, the order phones go crazy. We take 20% off all chocolate, traffic on the site goes ballistic. You love vanilla; you love chocolate. So do we.

As a recipe developer, I find it much easier to create a recipe around chocolate than vanilla. Chocolate is so in-your-face, so “Here I am!” Vanilla is sweet, quiet, retiring; happy to lend a subtle under-note.

There’s no mistaking the star of chocolate cake, or a chocolate cookie. But vanilla? It’s often submerged beneath another attribute, as in “sugar cookie” or “yellow cake.”

Some of my favorite treats are vanilla; Golden Vanilla Pound Cake comes quickly to mind, as do Vanilla Dream cookies. But today it’s chocolate’s turn.

So here it is, one of my favorite chocolate cookie recipes. Talk about in your face, these Double-Dark Mocha Drops are spiked with espresso and cinnamon, and loaded with chips. Let’s go!

img_2908.JPG

Mix together the following:

1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional; use it if you like the cinnamon/chocolate combination, but aren’t using cinnamon chips

img_2909.JPG

Beat until smooth.

img_2910.JPG

Add 1 large egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla…

img_2911.JPG

…and beat until thoroughly combined. The mixture will look grainy; that’s OK.

img_2912.JPG

Add 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder or our All-Purpose Cocoa, a mixture of Dutch-process (for its lower acidity) and natural (for rich flavor).

img_2913.JPG

Beat until smooth.

img_2914.JPG

Add 1 1/4 cups (5 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

img_2915.JPG

…and beat again. Notice how the dough is getting progressively stiffer.

img_2916.JPG

Add the chips. Here we’re using cappuccino chips, and cinnamon mini chips. Use semisweet, bittersweet, or whatever combination of flavors you like. Nuts are welcome, too. The goal is about 2 cups of add-ins.

img_2917.JPG

Beat until the chips are evenly dispersed throughout the dough.

img_2918.JPG

Use a teaspoon cookie scoop to drop the dough onto a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.

img_2920.JPG

These are smaller cookies, so you can get more of them on a baking sheet, especially if you stagger the rows slightly, as I’ve done here.

img_2977.JPG

Tablespoon cookie scoop (on the left) vs. teaspoon cookie scoop: what’s the difference? Larger vs. smaller ball of dough, obviously…

img_2991.JPG

…and the tablespoon scoop makes a 2 1/2” drop cookie, while the teaspoon scoop makes a 2” cookie.

I find myself using the teaspoon scoop more and more these days. A 2” cookie is just right when you want a few satisfying bites; and it’s a better size for kids, too.

img_2922.JPG

OK, back to the action. Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes; they’ll puff up slightly and look very soft in the center. Remove from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan; they’re too soft to move until they’re cool.

Notice how they settle a bit as they cool.

View from the top – where’s the milk?!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Double-Dark Mocha Drops.

comments

1. Rebecca

Wow! They look very good. I was wondering if the teaspoon from the measuring spoons would make the same sized cookies as the ones scooped with the cookie scoop. When I tried to use my measuring spoon, they looked too small, so I just eyeballed the amount. When you use those scoops do you level it out of is it heaping? I am very surprised that you post on Sundays! I am always checking your blog because of the recipes with step by step photos. There aren’t many English websites with step-by-step photographed recipes. And the recipes are trustworthy since you guys always test them. Thank you very much. Have a nice day!

Hi Rebecca – The sun never sets on the King Arthur kingdom… We’re going 24/7. It’s fun. The teaspoon cookie scoop is actually about 2 level measuring teaspoons; about the size of a horse chestnut (shelled). And the tablespoon is, I think, about 4 teaspoons; smallish ping pong ball size. I level them off if the dough isn’t too chunky, but with chips, etc., usually some of the dough/chips “overflows” above the rim. Day is fading here – so have a nice evening! PJH

2. Bridgett

Where’s the milk is right! I have some peanut butter chips left over from Holiday baking that just might make it into these little rounds of chocolate goodness this week! I love the pic with the sizes and the scoops – very helpful.

3. Chiot's Run

MMM, but what kind of chocolate I ask. Chocolate can taste so different if it’s milk, dark or super dark. I’m partial to really really dark chocolate. The darker and more bitter the better for me. I think milk chocolate is like eating spoonfuls of sugar.

I have some tiny peanut butter cup chips that would be heavenly in these cookies.

4. Angelina

Hi PJ,
    I was just wondering what cookie to make and saw your new posting. It’s very easy to make and we all love the taste & texture. However, I have encountered 2 problems in making. 1) I could not attain the grainy texture after the addition of egg & vanilla. It was somewhat curdly; and 2) my cookies didn’t spread. (The final cookie dough looks like yours.) I just bought the baking soda recently and have been using it lots. What could be the problem??? Thanks PJ!

Angelina, it’s OK for the dough not to be grainy; curdled-looking is probably a better description. Don’t sweat that part. And my second batch didn’t spread as much as the first, because I cut back the sugar; felt they were too sweet. For optimum spread, increase the granulated sugar to 1/2 cup (though they WILL be quite sweet…) PJH

5. Kathleen

These look so good and I love the way that we can vary the add-ins, kind of like a lot of different cookies from one recipe Your recipes are always so good, I made the Lemon Bliss cake last week and I gave about a third of the cake to a neighbor before we had it, I’m so glad that I did becase we pigged out on the rest of it. I am so glad that I discovered King Arthur and this blog.

I’m glad you discovered us too, Kathleen. Bakers unite!! PJH

6. Jesurgislac

Chocolate is so hard-to-miss, so easily combined with other flavours (chocolate and orange, chocolate and coffee, chocolate and peanut butter…) but there’s something really just amazing about real vanilla. It’s smooth. It’s sort of sweet and sort of creamy and yet not either. Chocolate’s fantasy. Vanila’s a dream.

I keep a big jar of granulated sugar with a couple of vanilla pods tucked into it. I love the smell whenever I take it down to bake with… and the pods last for ages, too.

7. Terri

I’m more of a vanilla person myself, but I know a lot of people who I could give these to and would LOVE them! (and that’s not to say I wouldn’t have to QC one myself).

8. luv2cook

Thank you for showing the after baked sizes for the scoops I have been debating getting another size scoop (I have a t size) but thanks to your guide I see what is best for the kids but the T is better for the cookies I bake for pkging and giving. Now I have another thing to add to my cart!

9. Janet Anderson

KAF’s Madagascar Vanilla Beans make a great extract, too. I put 2 of them in a Frapaccino bottle and filled it with anejo rum. I top it off every so often, and it’s been going strong for over a year.

10. Kristine

I’m curious as to what the difference would be if whole wheat pastry flour (or even white whole wheat) were used rather than the Mellow Patry Blend. I know — I could try it both ways — but I’m hoping you might know the answer without my having to go through the process! Would it just make the dough stiffer and spread less?

Whole grain flour has a different charecteristics than the Mellow Pastry Blend. The chief ones being flavor and absorption You will need to experiment with adjusting various ingredients, principally the liquid amount, to mimic the original. Call us on the hot line if you need assistance. Frank from KAF.

11. jami

These were good. Mine held their shape rather than flattening out, but I wonder if my oven wasn’t exactly the right temperature. Very intense flavor, particularly between the espresso powder and the cinnamon chips.

Jami, the photos is a bit deceptive – I made them two ways, one with more sugar (flatter cookies), one with less sugar (not as flat, better flavor). So both are pictured along the way. So long as you enjoyed them, that’s what counts – PJH

12. Andrea

Oh…I have to go a different route than ANY of the flavors mentioned….Gotta be difficult, y’know.

Lemon’s the choice here! Lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, lemon poppyseed bread, lemon drops: I’m in love with them all! Oh, and I can’t forget the “big girl Lemonade” from college – the never empty pitcher of vodka lemonade we kept in our dorm fridges even though we were underage. ;)

*sighs* I should go make a pie…. ;)

13. Jenni

Fantastic recipe with really wonderful step-by-step instructions. You knew that, though:)

As to the vanilla v. chocolate debate, I am torn. I love chocolate–rich and dark, it can’t hide. Vanilla is glorious on its own, in all its mellow, fragrant complexity, but it plays a supporting role with grace and elegance as well. I always add a bit of vanilla to anything chocolate, and vanilla is gracious enough to allow chocolate to shine. It’s not a two-way street, though–chocolate can’t hide!

Love your style; glad to have found you!

14. Muffy

Chocolate, hands down, is my favorite. And this cookie recipe reads like a dream. I’ll be sure to try it soon, although as a diabetic I must limit my intake of carbs and sugars!

Now as to the survey discrepancy, which is preferred chocolate or vanilla? The answer is definitely chocolate! I believe the reason The International Ice Cream Association skews toward vanilla is that virtually ALL products (shakes, malteds, sundaes, splits) are automatically prepared with vanilla ice cream —UNLESS the customer asks for a different flavor. At least, that was the practice at the large Eastern US ice cream purveyor I worked for in the 1980s. Most people probably don’t realize that their strawberry shake is being made with vanilla ice cream. Or that they can change the flavors of the ice cream bases in their sundaes and banana splits. Just ask!

15. Jackie

I’m curious how much you cut back on the sugar for the less-flat cookies? I also prefer a cookie that isn’t overly sweet. I love the idea of using cinnamon and cappuccino chips, too!

Jackie, the original recipe used 1/2 cup granulated sugar; the lower-sugar version calls for 1/3 cup. PJH

16. Joan

WOW! These are Excellent!!! I made the first cookie sheet of 12 using #60 (2 tsp) cookie scoop and then added 3/4 cup toasted walnuts and used a #50 (1T) cookie scoop. I preferred them when I slight flattened the balls before baking. I had used Ghirardelli 60% Cocoa bittersweet choc chips (my favorite) which are larger than normal chips so the larger cookie size was easier. I didn’t have any quality cocoa on hand so I used half Trader Joe’s (which isn’t worth buying if you like dark chocolate) and half KAF black cocoa. These were a dark chocolate lovers dream! Previously, I’ve always used the dutch cocoa sold at Peet’s coffee. It is wonderful! It is pretty expensive ($6.95 for 8 oz) so I decided to try TJ’s. Now I am awaiting my delivery for KAF’s Dutch-process cocoa. I bought the black cocoa from KAF and wasn’t sure how to use it. These cookies turned out so dark they were almost black but not burned. Wonderful!

Boy, nothing like putting me in the mood for chocolate first thing in the morning! Glad the cookies turned out well for you. And I hope you bought our Double Dutch, Joan – it’s my go-to cocoa. Not that the others aren’t perfectly fine, but I do like this blend of regular and black Dutch-process cocoas… PJH

17. Kandice

My son has an egg allergy and it can be pretty hit or miss for converting recipes with various egg replacers. I’ve been looking for a double chocolate cookie and haven’t loved any of my attempts, until this one. We all loved it! I used Flax Goo as my egg replacer. We also used only chocolate chips since that’s the flavor we prefer. Thanks for a great recipe, and I’m loving the new Flax Meal!

18. baume

I learned to bake by whipping up the butter first and then slowly adding the sugar, and then the other ingredients. Is that not the right thing to do for cookies?
    Generally, the creaming method is used in cookie-making which involves blending the butter and sugar together all at once. It is not necessary to add the sugar slowly. ~Amy

19. shericyng

Does the espresso powder have a distinct coffee flavor or does it just enhance the chocolate flavor if I don’t use the chips.
    Yes, this amount of espresso powder will bring out the intensity of the chocolate flavor. ~Amy

20. chinchillalover

These look amazing! I now know what I am making this weekend, my brother keeps calling me dark baker.

This will definitely keep little bro off your case for awhile, eh, CL? Enjoy – PJH

21. "Paul from Ohio"

Absolutely DE liiiiii CIOUS! (try pronouncing it as I typed it!) Super easy to make and such a grownup taste other than ‘just another chip cookie’! Since I’d just bought a bag of chips yesterday that were peanut butter/chocolate, I used those. So into the mix of chocolate and espresso (mocha), I added more chocolate and a touch of peanut butter! Amazing! I’ll try to find Cappuccino Chips for the next batch! Thanks PJ – awesome new “favorite”.

Paul, I just made these 30 minutes ago to send to my mom for Valentine’s Day – they’re her favorite. Glad you made some tasty tweaks and enjoyed them… PJH

22. KellyH

I’d love to make these for my hubby for V-day, but wonder if you’d have any suggestion to make them heart-shaped?? Is that asking for too much of a good thing?

Hmmm… How about spreading the batter on a cookie sheet, then cutting heart shapes with a cutter once they’re baked and cool? You’d have some scraps, but hey, baker’s treat! Actually, if you do this, I’d suggest doing in smaller pans, as the edges would cook more quickly than the center in a large pan. Also, don’t try to turn out of the pan until completely cool – they’re very soft when hot. Enjoy – :) PJH

23. lgladden

375 degree oven? Seriously? Followed the directions and ended up with scorched cookies. And yes, I know oven temps can vary, but mine is pretty much dead on the mark. Reduced heat to 325 degrees–which I never have to do–and the next batch was much better.

Ovens can be quirky, for sure. I bake these at 375°F in two different ovens, and they come out fine. That said – I often use a light-colored pan covered with parchment. if you’re using a dark cookie sheet, no parchment, then lowering to 325°F is certainly a good idea. Thanks for your feedback, good to know – PJH

24. milkwithknives

Ooh, these do look nice. I have a chocolate cookie recipe I’m happy with, but I may have to give this one a go now that I’ve seen your glorious photos.

Also, I do most of my shopping at a little Mexican grocery store by my house and recently scored some Mexican chocolate on cheap sale. I chopped up a couple of the little disks and used the chunks in place of chocolate chips in some cookies and guhhh. So freaking good. The slightly grainy texture and cinnamony flavor are incredible in the sweet, chewy cookies. I’ll bet it would be amazing in this recipe. If you can ever get your hands on Mexican chocolate, try it in cookies and see what you think. Thanks! -Erin

Erin, I love that Mexican chocolate – if I could find it on sale, I’d definitely use it more often, as it can be a bit pricey. Thanks for the inspiration, though, I may have to spring for it! PJH

25. nichael

Really looking forward to trying these, but please forgive a beginner’s question:

When the cookie sheet goes into the oven, should the dough still be in “balls” (i.e. straight from the scoop) or should they be flattened down first?

Hi, no worries–all questions are good questions! You don’t need to flatten these cookies before baking; just scoop and bake. Barb@KAF