Tender Rye Biscuits: Rye bread flavor without the wait

tender-rye-biscuits

Isn’t getting older and growing up great? No, I’m not going to start a rant on aches, pains and bifocals, I’m totally serious. Getting older has been a heck of a lot of fun lately.

I hope you’re still with me, because I think it’s an interesting discussion. In the past couple of years, I’ve been trying so many more new things and going so many more places, it’s been delightful.

For instance: we hosted an exchange student from France, we adopted a special needs cat, we took 4 teenagers to DisneyWorld, I had an MRI, and I started wearing socks that didn’t match on purpose.

I met lovely new people and reconnected with others, and faced some truths about myself along the way.

Each of these things was a new experience, and one I don’t think I would have necessarily done one or two years ago.

In the kitchen, I tried so many new foods, too. I ate umeboshi plum, eel, Biscoff spread, smoked salmon, fern, octopus, pap (white cornmeal mush), bobotie (an African corned beef and egg dish) and …

A Reuben. That’s right, I’m 44 years old and I’d never had a Reuben sandwich before. My mother loves Reubens, as does my dad. My husband had eaten Reubens in front of me but I had never taken the plunge before this year. Not even one bite.

I know exactly why I’d never eaten the famous rye/corned beef concoction before. Yep, it was the sauerkraut. The name just gave me the willies, and the pale skinny little fronds in a jar didn’t really inspire either.

So why the change of heart and the plunge into deli legend and lore?

No idea. None. It may have been hearing others order them during our weekly takeout days. It may have been part of my new explore-the-world-more philosophy, but whatever the reason behind the fateful purchase of the first Reuben, I’ve been delighted ever since. What an incredible combination of sour, rich, sweet, briny goodness topped off with hot buttered rye toasty heaven!

When I’m thinking about toasty rye, I can’ t help but think about these Tender Rye Biscuits. In bread world, rye is one of the more fickle breads to work with. But biscuits are so much more reachable, this recipe can put that rye craving to rest faster than you can make it to the Stage Door Deli.

Let’s get started on some Tender Rye Biscuits.

In a large bowl, combine:
2 ½ cups King Arthur Perfect Pastry Blend
½ cup King Arthur Organic Pumpernickel Flour
3 teaspoons Bakewell Cream*
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda*
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon Deli Rye Flavor (optional, but makes a big difference in flavor)

Whisk together to combine the flours, leaveners, and flavoring. You can certainly leave the Deli Rye Flavor out if you don’t have it, but it’s the essence of true deli taste in a powder. Honestly, you’ll think you’re in Katz’s at the counter.

*No Bakewell Cream? Substitute 1 tablespoon baking powder and reduce the amount of baking soda to 1/4 teaspoon.

Use your fingers to work in 4 tablespoons of butter or vegetable shortening. In this case, I used butter-flavored vegetable shortening.

Keep the pieces of butter or shortening about the size and thickness of a dime. These flat “leaves” of fat will provide flakiness to your biscuits.

Add 1/2 cup sour cream all at once, and then 3/4 cup cold milk. Combine with a folding movement until the dough is nearly all moistened.

Like this. A few dry spots, but not to worry.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and gently fold it over on itself about 5 or 6 times; not really as firmly as kneading bread, just enough to make a few layers. This will finish bringing the dough together.

Pat the dough into a 9″ square about 1/2″ thick, and divide evenly into 16 squares: 4 across, 4 down.

Bake the biscuits in a preheated 400°F oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned on tops and bottoms.

Here they are, tender, flaky biscuits that make the whole house smell like your favorite deli.

Now, where are we headed for toppings? In the test kitchen, we ate them warm from the oven, straight up.

Or how about smoked salmon and a schmear of cream cheese, or a bit of egg salad? Pastrami, corned beef, and a little horseradish sauce were all discussed, though. How about toasted, with dilled scrambled eggs?

So far, we haven’t run out of ideas, but we’d love to hear yours. How would YOU take these biscuits to the next level?

While we’re talking food and adventures, what have YOU tried this year that’s new to you? Happy, silly, weird, or wonderful, let’s share!

Please bake, rate and review our recipe for Tender Rye Biscuits.

See other biscuits recipes.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. JuliaJ

You folks must be tuning in to my hectic schedule–the recent quick bread postings (Susan’s rieska and PJ’s Irish brown bread) have been great (and yummy) timesavers. Can I sub in buttermilk for some/all of the sour cream/milk??
    I haven’t tried it, but you should be able to use buttermilk for the sour cream. Just don’t let the dough get too wet. ~ MaryJane

2. garnet

Just when I thought I didn’t need to make another order from the Baker’s Catalogue, you post a recipe that SCREAMS out “Make me, make me now!!” lol Mary Jane-what do you think of adding some caraway seeds to the recipe? I love them in my rye bread and wonder if it would work here. Thanks!
    I think that would work fine. Maybe a 1/2 tablespoon to start with? Let me know how it turns out. ~ MaryJane

3. "Joni M from St. Louis"

Oh my, I’m gonna ruin my keyboard if this mouth of mine doesn’t stop watering…these sound absolutely delightful! I am a reuben fanatic and since I bought the rye flavor awhile back and have YET to use it, same for the Bakewell Cream–well, these will be in my oven this weekend for sure! I just LOVE it when new recipes come along using stuff I already have in my pantry, while wondering just what can I do with that next?!?! Thank you KA for all your hard work, ya’ll are just the bestest!!!
    Here sweetie, here’s a napkin. I’m so glad that timing was just right for you. I’m still on a biscuit kick, so we’re having SOB for dinner, and these rye biscuits for Sunday potluck. Happy baking! ~ MaryJane

4. "Joni M from St. Louis"

So glad garnet mentioned the caraway seeds, and while I was reading this, I was thinking, hummm, how about adding some shredded swiss or even small chunks to the dough as well…yikes, wish I was home baking!!!

5. HMB

If only it wasn’t getting so hard to find rye and pumpernickel flours! Yet another grocery store where I used to purchase rye flour has discontinued selling it. And another store where I used to purchase it in bulk now only carries the little sleeves from Bob’s Red Mill. I suppose I am going to have to start mail ordering it … but the shipping is prohibitive. We LOVE rye breads in this house, and I am tired of having to drive around and make phone calls all over the area trying to find a source. (And I live in an area that is considered a foodie mecca!?!?)
    I am sorry this has become a struggle for you. Be sure to sign up to receive our emails so that you are aware of shipping promotions, sales, etc. ~Amy

6. Rocky-cat

And to riff on Joni M, how about making them scone-shaped and serving as a side to soup or a “chi-chi” breakfast treat?

Serious question, though. Could I use a medium rye flour instead of the pumpernickel flour? That’s what I normally use to make rye bread so I have it at home already.

And I absolutely recommend the Deli Rye Flavor if you bake much rye bread. It makes a wonderful difference in flavor. Just triple wrap it when you store it. The smell is, well, fairly pervasive.
    If you have medium rye in your kitchen, use it and let us know what your results are! We suspect the color will be different as well as a milder rye taste – but you may develop a new and wonderful recipe – Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

7. "diane armstrong Mexico"

This was SUPER. with just a touch of jalepeno. Thank goodness i live near an enlightened supermarket that stocks KAF and will special-order as long as I can convince the boss that they’ll sell at least 6 bags. I pay the equivalent of 10 to 15 dollars U.S. a bag. U.S. postage high? Maybe, but I are lucky you have a reliable service. We can’t use ours. I have stuff sent to Texas and transhipped by special courier. I just wish that money went back to KAF.
    Glad you liked the recipe and thanks for being so super supportive when it’s hard to get our products. We all share the dream of shelf after shelf of KAF products in stores all OVER the globe! ~ MaryJane

8. biobaker

I’m thinking that this would be a beautiful dough for a “pigs in a blanket” style appetizer with a particularly good hot dog. Maybe even split the dog, fill it with a smidgen of mustard and/or a little cheese, and stick the halves back together before wrapping them up in the biscuit?

This type of creative thinking about taste and texture will make for delicious appetizers! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

9. Jess

Love the Katz’s reference! I used to go there as a kid and would marvel at the signs. My favorite was “Send a salami to your boy in the Army”! Now for a question. is it possible to make a flaky biscuit using oil instead of butter/shortening? And could I replace the sour cream with yogurt? Should I use Greek or regular? Thank you!
    HI Jess,
    I’ll be honest, I don’t think you get the same great biscuits with oil. You really need some kind of solid fat to set up those flakes. You can use the the yogurt, I’d say go with a good thick Greek if you can get it. ~ MaryJane

10. amgbooth

You are killing me here. Two days ago I made the Sour Cream Rye Muffins. I ate eleven of them. I wanted to have them with kielbasa and eggs, but I ate the last two before the eggs and kielbasa were done cooking. I’ll have to try these next, maybe with a sprinkle of everything topping and/or bacon?
    Too funny, and definitely the sign of great baked goods. :). I think the topping would be lovely on the biscuits, and provide a real contrast of crunch and tender biscuit. Let us know how it turns out. ~ MaryJane

11. Tonia

Oh, these are perfect! I’m having my mom over for “high” tea tomorrow and I’ll make these small and split-n-fill w/tomato jam (homemade from last year’s bumper crop of tomatoes), goat cheese and roast turkey. Yum!
    OH, my! That sounds amazing! Have a lovely time. Are you wearing full dress, hats and gloves? ~ MaryJane

12. Action_Kate

YOWZA, I think these are the best and the easiest biscuits I have ever made! They came out absolutely perfect! I always have trouble with biscuits being flaky or tender, but these are divine. And I much prefer the rye flavor to the boring literal white bread which most biscuits are. These are now my official go-to biscuits. So fast and so good!
    So glad you liked them Kate! My hubby has a cold right now, so I’m going to make these to get him well fast. Wish me luck! ~ MaryJane

13. catieartist

I hope your DH cold is better by now. They are making there way through the west coast too.
    I wanted to know if I made a mix of the general purpose GF flour and the whole grains flours (just minus wheat as gluten isn’t a problem for me) with a bit of xanthan gum, could I make these? I so hate to have to make biscuits with so much starch. I am afraid of the hi-carb diabetes possibility as we grow older. I lived on whole grains before I gave up wheat, and love to make whole grain wheat-less items. What does the master baker say?
    thanks,
    Catie

Whole Grain Gluten-Free Baking is possible. Just like it’s wheat based cousin, it’s going to take some experimenting to achieve success. In the test kitchen, I have found that a 100% whole grain loaf does work:

Converting this specific recipe is not something we have tried. Yes, xanthan will be required, maybe 1/2 teaspoon per cup of g-f flour. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

14. Elliot

Great in theory, but these are WAY, WAY too salty. I’d leave out the salt altogether, there is enough in the leavening. Otherwise, a nice recipe.

Thanks for the feedback, Elliot. It’s hard to determine the “correct” amount of salt for recipes, as everyone’s taste is so, so different… Glad you enjoyed them aside from the salt, though. PJH