Elvis has left the building. But the cake’s still here.

DSC_2380

Did you know that Elvis’ favorite cake, one he enjoyed on his birthday AND at Christmas every year, was vanilla pound cake?

I grew up loving chocolate cake. Still do. But over the years I’ve also developed a great appreciation for vanilla cake, the dessert equivalent of your little black dress: simple, classic, goes with everything. And my very favorite vanilla cake is super-dense, golden pound cake.

Hey, all you chocolate fans out there: I’m sure you’ve enjoyed all the chocolate treats we’ve posted to this blog over the years. But today the Choc-Dog’s giving way to America’s Favorite Flavor: vanilla.

Yes, you heard it right. After all these years of triple chocolate chunk ice cream, fudge brownies, extra-bittersweet single-source Criollo-bean bars, and mudslide pie, vanilla is STILL America’s top flavor choice – at least when it comes to ice cream, which is the only online listing I’ve found for favorite flavors.

Chocolate is #2, as it’s been for some time. And #3 is… no, not strawberry. Try butter pecan. (Thanks, I will!) Strawberry and Neapolitan (vanilla-chocolate-strawberry) round out the top five.

(OK, I know you’re desperate to hear the rest of the top 10. In order, they’re chocolate chip, cookies ’n’ cream, pecan praline, cherry, chocolate almond, coffee, and rocky road. Can’t say that I’d turn my nose up at any of ’em.)

But back to cake. Drake’s Cakes, one of the Northeast’s classic snack food brands – proud purveyors of Yankee Doodles and Ring Dings – was born in 1888 when Newman E. Drake baked his first vanilla pound cake. I wasn’t there to witness the event, but about 70 years later I enjoyed my first cellophane-wrapped slice of Drake’s pound cake, and we’ve been buddies ever since.

While the following recipe doesn’t hew to the original 1 pound each of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter (thus the name: pound cake), it does come close to Drake’s version. In fact, I must (modestly) say that, being homemade, AND made with King Arthur flour… it’s even better!

First, take the following out of the fridge to warm to room temperature:

¾ cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter
3-ounce package cream cheese
5 large eggs

This will take 2 to 3 hours, so plan ahead.

Do you REALLY have to do this? Well, no; but room-temperature ingredients ensure lump-free mixing, which is a plus in something as fine-grained as pound cake.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our gridded photos.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix until smooth. Because the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature (hint, hint…), this happens quickly and easily.

Next, beat in the 5 large eggs; the mixture will look a little grainy/curdled. Beat for 3 minutes after you’ve added the final egg.

Once all the eggs have been added, stir in 3 tablespoons milk.

Add 2 tablespoons King Arthur Cake Enhancer (optional, for moistness). Then gently fold in 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons (7 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.

Notice how the flour does away with the graininess. Nice stuff, that King Arthur Flour… Actually, with 9 ounces of butter/cream cheese, 10 1/2 ounces of sugar, nearly 10 ounces of eggs, and 8 ounces of flour, this cake doesn’t depart too radically from the original ingredient proportions.

Why the lesser amount of flour? Because King Arthur Flour is higher-protein than other flours, meaning you can use less of it. See? We save you money every which-way!

Spray your 9” x 5” x 2 3/4” loaf pan (or stoneware 12” x 4” x 4” tea loaf pan) with baking spray.

Now, pay attention, class, and repeat after me: I WILL USE THE CORRECT SIZE OF LOAF PAN. That would be 9” x 5” x 2 3/4” deep, or 12” x 4” x 4” deep. Take out your ruler, and measure the inside top of your loaf pan.

Please don’t use a smaller pan, e.g., 8 1/2” x 4 1/2”. Here’s what’ll happen:

img_7851.JPGThat’s why you put your loaf pan onto a baking sheet; helps with the cleanup when the pan you’re using isn’t QUITE big enough…

Pour the batter into the pan; it’ll fill the pan about 2/3 full.

Bake the cake for about 55 minutes; it should dome nicely.

Next, you’re going to gild the top of the cake with an extra touch of vanilla. Not straight vanilla; but a sugar/vanilla/water combination that adds wonderful flavor, color, and some delicate crunch.

While the cake is baking, stir together the following:

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon water

The sugar won’t fully dissolve; that’s OK.

Remove the cake from the oven, and brush/drizzle with the sugar mixture. Return the cake to the oven for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. Insert a toothpick into the center; it should come out clean. If you use an instant-read thermometer, the center should register about 200°F to 205°F.

The very top, right under the crust, will still be kind of soggy; don’t worry about it.

It’s actually easier baking the cake in the 12” x 4” loaf pan, as the longer, thinner loaf bakes more evenly.

Remove the cake from the oven, and after 5 minutes, loosen its edges with a heatproof nylon spatula, or a table knife. After another 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan and cool it on a rack.

And there you have it – a dense, golden cake with a thin, deep-brown crust.

And lovely shards of vanilla-sugar on top.

Butter a thick slice of cake, grill briefly, and enjoy as a base for ice cream (and caramel sauce, or strawberries, or butterscotch…)

Want to make your own homemade hot fudge and caramel sauces? Check out our Pair of Sundae Sauces.

Read, review, and rate (please) our recipe for Golden Vanilla Pound Cake.

comments

1. Mike T.

Okay, couldn’t you have posted this sooner? I just made the lemon/poppyseed loaf (from the muffing mix) last night… Now I’ve got to wait. *sigh*

Sounds and looks good. I’ve got the “Dark & Decadent Hot Fudge Sauce” (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C76&byCategory=C261&id=1456) in my pantry that seems like it could use a friend… ;-)

Mike, get the Ben & Jerry’s vanilla ice cream, and Bob’s your uncle—instant paradise! – PJH

2. Andrea

There’s something to be said about ‘traditional’ desserts. Sure, I love a wicked good triple chocolate bombe, and creme brulee is wonderful. I’d never pass up a good tiramisu, and frankly, anything laced with irish whiskey has my vote too (there’s a restaurant in Milwaukee that makes a wicked good bread pudding with an irish whiskey sauce)….But if given the opportunity?

I’d choose pound cake too. Maybe because I remember eating it with strawberries and whipped cream at my grandparents’ homes growing up, maybe because it is that ‘pound’ of butter…I don’t know. But I love it, in all of its incarnations.

Same goes for apple pie, lemon meringue, chocolate cake, blueberry cobbler/grunt, and peanut butter cookies.

But I’m not sayin’ that I am not looking forward to my ‘Three Cheers for Chocolate delivery in a few months….I’m just sayin’ that I appreciate the simple things in life. ;)

PJ – wouldn’t it be funny if there was a way to predict who would win the presidency by his (or her!) favorite dessert? I know there is the “First Lady Cookie contest…”, but I’d find it funny to see what our potential Commander in Chiefs would like for dessert. :) But I’m nosy like that.

Well, I think one of the debate questions should definitely be “What’s your favorite dessert?” I predict Sarah Palin would say Baked Alaska! – PJH

3. chocolatechic

That looks lovely. I especially like the idea of the vanilla/sugar/water on top.

Hi — I actually use this glaze for yeasted coffeecakes, too. I think it would be yummy on pie as well, though I haven’t tried it… PJH

4. Carol

Oh my goodness! It just came out of the oven (and the 12x4x4 pan since I lined it properly!) and. . .I couldn’t wait for it to cool. . .Must be the cream cheese, because this is the most consistently dense, but at the same time light and almost creamy cake ever. Thanks to KA, and of course all the rest of the royalty out there!

And I’m using the last (alas!) of my Montana huckleberries, picked while I was on vacation to gild the lily. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

5. Jackie

Vanilla pound cake! My favorite cake (next to red velvet) and with a new glaze on top? Excellent. One question: how could I make this recipe big enough for a Bundt pan? Would I double it, or is it just not a good recipe for Bundt pans? I know it would affect the glaze aspect, but we love pound cake so much around here that I like to make as much at a time as possible!

Depends on the size of your bundt pan, Jackie. For a small )9-cup) pan, use as is. For a large (12 cup), maybe do half again as much? I think that would work- Try it, let us know! – PJH

6. Allie

Photos look beautiful! I’ve made pound cakes in the past that taste wonderful and moist right after they’re made, but even the next morning are dried out. Any suggestions on how to combat that?

1) Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; 2) don’t refrigerate, ever; 3) try this recipe! I carted a couple of plastic-wrapped pieces of pound cake around with me for about 5 days, waiting to deliver to my mother-in-law, and they were perfectly lovely and moist… PJH

7. SimplePleasure

Can’t wait to try this! It’s the first time I saw that topping thing, I’m mighty curious as what it taste like with that topping.

The topping doesn’t change it a WHOLE lot – just adds a nice little finishing touch. Something different. And pretty. PJH

8. Barbara

Just in time! I need to bake a birthday cake for my father-in-law’s birthday on Saturday – he’s a plain-vanilla kind of guy and this will be perfect!

9. Beth

Hi PJ, seems to be a slight discrepancy on the amount of flour called for. I think the original recipe calls for 7 3/4 ounces, and you mention 8-1/4. I might be wrong. My eyesight isn’t that great.

Also, my favorite (so far – haven’t tried this one yet) pound cake recipe substitutes a small amount of shortening for the butter. How do you suppose it would work in this case? I’m not even sure what’s the reasoning behind using both butter and shortening in a cake recipe. Is it for economic purposes?

Also, I was surprised to read someone said her pound cake only tasted good right out of the oven. My experience with pound cake has always been that it tastes better the following day s. You have sharp eyes. Thanks for pointing that error out to us. The 7 3/4 ounces is the correct amount. We will correct that error. I agree that most pound cakes get better as the flavors meld. Mary at King Arthur Flour

1. Maryanne

Back on September 9, 2008, Beth had pointed out a difference in the amount of flour. This recipe is still showing the 8 ounces of flour almost 6 years later!! Should I correct it to the 7 3/4 ounce?

You’re right, Maryanne – the weight is actually 7.75625 ounces, which of course is much closer to 7 3/4 than 8. I’ve now made the change. Sorry, looks like we’ve been asleep at the wheel – and a positively Rip Van Winkle-like sleep it was! Thanks for persevering – PJH

10. MP

Reading the blog here seems to differ from the “read our recipe” link – when adding the baking powder and extracts, does it really matter which method (with the butter mixture or after the eggs are incorporated)?

In any event, I followed the linked directions and it smells great. Its cooling now – can’t wait to try it! One question, every time I make a quick bread or pound cake or whatever in a loaf pan, the middle REALLY “bubbles” up…is there a way to combat that? I noticed yours didn’t do that much in your picture.

Thanks!

I tried it both ways, adding the BP and extracts before, or after – it works fine either way. I decided I like to add them before, though, as there seems to be a greater chance of my remembering to do it then! I’m kind of flummoxed by the big mounding I sometimes get in the center, too. I notice one thing – it seems more pronounced when I’m baking two loaves at once, and place the loaf pans parallel to each other with their short sides facing forward/back. If I just bake one loaf at a time, with the long side of the pan facing me, it seems to do better. Go figure… I THINK it has to do with the edges of the cake becoming set before the center, which causes the center to rise more. I’ve never tried using insulating cake strips on a loaf pan, but I bet they’d work… – PJH

11. MP

Thanks for the reply back! I only made one loaf, with the long side facing me as you said you had. I’ll just have to keep trying. I did use a glass loaf pan, but turned the oven down about 25* as I’ve heard one should do with glass and it still bubbled up. Either way, I’ll just have to keep trying which is fine with me! Thanks again

12. JoH

This recipe is so similar to my Grandma’s Holiday Gold Cake it isn’t funny! The difference is the almond extract in hers. I’m making this over the weekend….I read Julia & Julie, a story about a woman who prepared every recipe in Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking….I think I’m going to do the same with a Bernard Clayton or Paula Peck cookbook!

Thanks for the inspiration.

13. LaVerle

Love these blogs even though I’m not baking like I used to. I just love reading about the baking and the recipes.
    Question: When recipes call for unsalted butter and all you have is salted, how should the salt amount called for in the recipe be changed?
    There is some flexiblity here. Start by cutting the salt amount in half.
    Elisabeth @ The Baker’s Hotline

LaVerle, for every 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter you use in place of unsalted, reduce the salt in the recipe by 1/4 teaspoon. – PJH

14. Mike T.

Hi PJ, just got a chance to bake this. I had to finish the KAF lemon-poppy seed muffin (well loaf) first. I made it in a 12x3x3 pan (I like small pieces of pound cake to grab and go) and it baked just fine, no overflow. I also substituted a tablespoon coconut rum for the vanilla and almond in the cake, and 1 teaspoon of the coconut rum in place of the vanilla in the sugar drizzle. Tastes great and has a wonderful texture.

Thanks for a new favorite!

Glad you liked it, Mike – PJH

15. Cheryl

I made this cake and was very satisfied with the taste. I was slightly disappointed with the crust. It was somewhat darker and crustier than I prefer. What, if anything, would you suggest that might remedy that matter?

Cheryl, try a stoneware or glass pan (set the temperature 25° lower for glass), and tent the top of the loaf as soon as it’s no longer sticky – maybe 40 minutes into the bake. Hope that helps – PJH

16. Marta

I am a bona fide cake freak, including cheesecake, which is not cake, but soooo yummy. In my prime I baked very ambitious cakes, mostly with chocolate as either the prime flavor ingredient or add-in. Even better with coffee added, or a variety of alcoholic beverages. But pound cake seems to me to be the comfort food of desserts. It can be a base for lots of other desserts, a snack or a really rich one can make one moan with pleasure. And it’s deceptively easy. You have to be REALLY not paying attention to totally ruin a pound cake. And for some reason, it seems particularly desirable in the fall. Oh my, I think I may need to bake one today – my mouth is watering! I DO like a sort of crunchy crust on mine – it helps offset the stunning richness.

17. Michelle Hicks

This cake looks awesome! I have a question, though. I am a huge King Arthur fan. I live about 2 hours away and frequent KA about 4 times a year and order by mail too. Unfortunately, my husband was just diagnosed with diabetes. At KA I found the sugar free mixes, but I would love to be able to make the pound cake and other old favorites, but I’m a bit scared of trying it. Would you have any suggestions on how to make the pound cake legal for diabetics? I hope so..I miss baking so!

Michelle, that’s a very tough challenge. Search on “splenda” in these blogs and you’ll find a series Susan did last winter about baking with artificial sweeteners; some things (and some sweeteners) work better than others. Good luck – PJH

18. Cindy

I couldn’t wait to bake this gorgeous cake but your recipe calls for a 9″ x 5″ x 2 3/4″ loaf pan. I realized I only have a Pyrex loaf pan which measures just 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5. Naturally, I though I’d order the correct sized pan from you, but the only metal loaf pans on your website are not the correct sizes, either. The Oversized Loaf pan is 10×5, and the Standard Loaf Bread Pan is 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2, just like my glass one. I hesitate to buy the ceramic Tea Loaf Pan because I don’t think I’ll get as much use from it, so what do you recommend? Thanks for your help!

Cindy, here in the test kitchen we actually prefer the ceramic tea loaf pan to a 9 x 5 – it’s the same capacity, bakes the same way, and makes a smaller slice – good for those of us on the constant diet. Any recipe that calls for a 9 x 5, you can use the 12 x 4. And I like baking sweet things in ceramic when I can, as it’s gentler; less chance of burning the crust. So that’s my recommendation- PJH

19. Natalie

I got a last minute call to bring food to church on Sunday – so I whipped two of these out Saturday night. They were a hit – simply inhaled during coffee hour! Whoo Hoo!

Well, glad we could help with your “pastoral” duties, Natalie – PJH

20. Liz Segal

I send boxes of Xmas cookies every year to friends and family all over the country. I’m looking for a small cake that will also travel well, I was thinking fruit cake (not always a favorite) or rum cake.

Can this cake be baked in many mini sized pans? Would it travel well? Could you soak with rum for a rum pound cake? As a preservative, of course.

Yes, yes – all of the above! Great idea. Not sure just how long it would be preserved; probably not many months, as fruitcake is, but it would certainly travel well, especially bruhed with some syrup. Suggestion: Make a trial batch first to nail down the pan size, baking time, and how much to brush (don’t want to use so much syrup it falls apart; it’s not as sturdy as a fruitcake). Good luck – PJH

21. Sofia

I made this pound cake twice and gave it as a gift, and it was a hit.
    I would like to know if it can be made with cake flour.

Yes, Sofia – I made it with cake flour as a test. It didn’t rise as high, but it was very nice. PJH

22. KT

Just for the record, for high-altitude baking, it was too moist of a batter. Next time I make it I will only use 4 eggs instead of 5, since there really isn’t any other way to eliminate liquid in the recipe. I ended up baking the cake 20 min longer than recommended, and it was over-baked and too brown on the outside. It still tasted great, and was nice and dense, but on the dry side.

I used a 1/4 tsp of orange oil with the vanilla and it was very tasty, but next time I will use lemon oil or just vanilla, since I’m not an almond extract fan. I’m guessing that a pinch of ginger coupled with lemon oil would also create a very tasty result.

Thanks for the great recipe. Everyone at our church potluck loved it.

23. Cindy

Just a follow up: This has to be the BEST pound cake I’ve ever made–and I’ve made more than I can remember in my search for the perfect one! As promised, it was moist, dense, tender, with a fine crumb.

I found a very inexpensive metal 9×5 inch loaf pan with a gray nonstick finish at Target. The one tiny flaw was that even when using a pan with a lighter colored nonstick finish and removing from the oven at 60 minutes (it had just reached an internal temperature of 198°), the cake’s sides and bottom were overly brown–much too brown for my taste. The top of the cake, however, was perfectly golden brown.

Since the top was perfect, I don’t think tenting is the answer, but do you think reducing the oven temperature by 25° would solve the problem?
    Thank you for ending my search for the ultimate pound cake You hit the nail on the head! Turning the oven done will help keep the sides and bottom from getting too brown. Mary @ King Arthur Flour

24. Anne

Excellent, excellent, excellent. There is absolutely no way to miss with this one. Even my picky teenagers enjoyed it. Thank you very much.

25. Aeshon Beksmit

Am wondering if you used the convection oven (with fan) or simply top/bottom heat in the oven to bake this cake? or any cake in general? which would be best method to heat up/bake cakes in the oven? really need some advice on this. my cakes never turn out fully baked at the recommended baking time. im worried.

Aeshon, we’ve never had convection ovens in our test kitchens, so I have no experience using them. Readers, does anyone have any advice for Aeshon? – PJH

26. Margaret Woodside

PJ, I have been making your recipes for years. This one is a real wonder winner! I have made it maybe 20 times since it was posted. I often make it in 2 smaller pans so I can give them to my daughter to keep one and take one to the office for her colleagues to enjoy. Since the market melt down, my daughter’s job in the finance industry has become even more stressful. Elvis’ favorite cake has made a lot of people less stressed!

I don’t know if anyone ever replied to the question about baking cakes in a convection oven but I used to bake with one in an industrial stove. It is possible to bake cakes but it takes some extra care. I found that loaf cakes just never cooked properly. Layer cakes ok if you lower the temp to the recommended level, usually around 35-50 degrees. The best results were from bundt cake pans. I was able to turn off the convection fan and that was really the best.

27. Theresa

Baked the pound cake tonight. Wonderful texture – chewy on sides, crunchy edges, crispy portions on top from the topping. Flawless texture. Too much butter. Next time I make it, I’ll measure butter by volume. It got runny and I measured by weight — 7 oz. That had to be over 2 sticks, because I don’t taste vanilla. I didn’t use the almond extract. Instead I used seeds from 2 vanilla beans. Husband loved the strong butter flavor. I prefer a more complex cake flavor with vanilla perfume.

Once I make this adjustment I think the cake will be a keeper. It’s super light. Beating the eggs so fiercely was scary. I could hear my mom, “Don’t overbeat the eggs.” But this technique actually lightened the cake. Trippy, huh? Can’t wait to repeat the experiment.

Good show, Theresa. While it’s easy to over-beat egg whites, it’s pretty darned hard to over-beat whole eggs, so don’t fear in that regard. Good luck with your tweaks next time around- PJH

28. Theresa

Update on the 3/19/09 post. Butter flavor mellowed after 24 hours. Vanilla bean flavor came through. The recipe is so right; it’s hard to tell when the cake is done. I overbaked by maybe 2 min?

I would like to add a little sour cream or increase cream cheese to the recipe for a little more moistness. Do you think 1/2 cup sour cream or total 5 ounces cream cheese would work? and when would I incorporate the sour cream? Alternate with the flour? or add it with the (recipe recommended 3 oz) cream cheese?

Thanks, TheresaAre you measuring your flour by the fluff, sprinkle, level method as shown on our website? If you are scooping with your cup, that could make the cake a bit dry. Click here to see that method.. I think adding sour cream or extra cream cheese would work, but might make it a bit heavier. I would add the sour cream with the cream cheese. Try it and let us know how it comes out. Mary @ KAF

29. Janice

we don’t use nuts in our house – would you recommend doubling the vanilla extract if I don’t have beans to add like Theresa above? Thanks, can’t wait to try it!

You can definitely increase the vanilla to taste, Janice it won’t hurt the liquid/flour balance. Enjoy – PJH

30. Sherry

Hi there,

The cake looks soooo nice!!!!! Since I don’t have AP flour in the area where I live, I wonder if I am using cake flour, would I need to increase the amount of flour to be used in the recipe?? or it stays the same? and I read that you already tested the cake using cake flour and it didn’t raise as high as it would otherwise be by using AP flour, do u think I should add a bit more baking power in the recipe?

Sorry, Sherry, it’s hard to know what this recipe will do using an unfamiliar brand/type of flour. I hate to start handing out advice when I’m unfamiliar with the flour… You say you don’t have AP flour, but our AP flour is available everywhere. Please check out our store locator for the store nearest to you. But if you have to use Swansdown or another cake flour – I’d start with a bit less liquid, maybe? I don’t bake with other flours so I’m just not sure, sorry! PJH

31. Sherry

Hi PJH,

Thanks for the reply! unfortunately I am working in the middle of Africa at the moment and I can’t find any AP flour! (How I miss Big city where you could get everything in just 1 store!!!) Thanks for the advice , I will try with less liquid and will let u know the result!!

Have a nice day,

sherry

Oh my goodness, Sherry – I see your dilemma. I guess our store locator won’t help! Yes, try the cake flour with less water – you’ll just have to experiment with what you can get there. Hopefully even if it falls, it’ll be tasty enough to cut up for a trifle… PJH

32. Kate

I can’t wait to use my first fresh strawberries from the garden for a Mother’s Day dessert! This pound cake will be perfect!

33. swabbybob

I wuold omit the cream cheese and omit the extra tbs of baking powder. I enjoy pound cake and have baked many over the years. To me a pound cake recipe is 1 pound butter, 1 pound of sugar, 1 pound of eggs and 1 pound of flour. A mixer is only used to whip the egg whites, all other mixing is done with clean hands.

34. Nancy

is it possible to buy precut parchment paper or only the big rolls? also if i ck the temp before taking the loaf out of the oven will it make the top sink which is always my fear? this recipe sounds incredible. im making this afternoon for a dinner party at 7pm

Yes, Nancy, we sell parchment rounds and parchment sheets in two sizes: half-sheet (cookie sheet size), and small squares. Try taking the temperature of the cake from the side, not the top, angling it in; the side will be firmer than the top. Plus, this cake is dense enough that taking the temperature shouldn’t deflate it… Good luck with the party tonight!

35. AmericanGirlinQuebec

You say to use King Arthur all purpose flour in the recipe. Unfortunately I only have King Arthur Queen Guinevere cake flour, or another brand of all purpose flour on hand (I’m sorry! I’m in Québec and getting your flours requires a 3 1/2 trip our ordering online, and I haven’t done either of which recently). I would like to know if I can either use your cake flour, and if so how much I should use, or if I’m using another brand of all purpose flour what amount to use. I would so love to make this pound cake tonight as a nice treat for me and my husband after the stressful week we’ve had, so I appreciate you’re helping me out. Thanks for your help, and I promise to make a stop to stock up on King Arthur flours next time I head south to visit family!

I think you should try it using the Guinevere – my educated guess is that it’ll work just fine, no adjustments needed. Sorry no one answered this earlier – I hope maybe your husband can appreciate it tomorrow, instead of tonight? :) PJH

36. sjp

This looks amazing and really want to try it, but I have celiac. Will the amount of flour be the same using your Gluten Free flour blend?

We don’t suggest you try this recipe simply substituting the GF flour blend; there are too many other variables at play. How about trying our Gluten-Free Yellow Cake recipe instead? PJH

37. cgreene5

This is the most delicious pound cake ever! I haven’t used another recipe since finding this one on your blog in Sept. 2008. As a matter of fact, I baked it just 2 days ago–scrumptious, as always. Coincidentally, today I received an email from KAF linking to this recipe, and I noticed the recipe has changed slightly since the original blog posting. Now, it has 3 tablespoons of milk in the recipe, and the glaze is added toward the end of the baking, instead of before baking. Just curious, why the changes? Not that I mind, I’m all for improving on perfection, if it’s possible! And I’ll just have to bake another this week to see for myself.

Sharp eye! Sue Gray, our test kitchen director (and my baking superior for sure) tried it and suggested adding the milk, to lessen the density just slightly. I thought adding the glaze at the end would be easier than trying to brush the rather thick glaze onto batter; not sure I’m sold on the change, but it does produce an interesting, sandy/crackly finish. Stick to the original, or try the new – all good. PJH

38. Susan in CT

Didn’t see it mentioned here, but it’s easy to cut the time required to bring butter/eggs to room temp. by immersing them in a bowl of barely lukewarm water (put the wrapped stick of butter in a plastic bag of some sort first). In half an hour, you have perfect room-temp ingredients!

Thanks, Susan – I often do that with eggs, but never thought to do it with butter… or cream cheese, which is the other ingredient I always forget to take out of the fridge… PJH

39. Nouara

Nobody seemed to notice that you mentioned 2 times 1 tsp of baking powder. I only put the baking powder once with the butter, sugar and cream cheese. Usually though it is added with the flour…does it change anything?

Thanks!

Thanks, I fixed that – sharp eyes! I’ve added baking powder both at the beginning, and later with the flour; and this is actually a subject we’ve discussed in the test kitchen. We agree it doesn’t seem to make any difference, so either way is fine. PJH

40. BabetteBakes

I’m quite late to this party, but I just wanted to add that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cake! Fantastic crumb, lovely crunchy crust, great flavor.

I used a 10″ x 4″ pan, and it worked great, I even got a decent photo for my blog: http://www.babettebakes.com.

Thanks KA!

Thanks for sharing – beautiful grain! PJH

41. chinchillalover

First i have to say this:YUM.Now i will say this,would this work well gluten free?My brother now has enough courage to ask me to make stuff for him and i told him the recipes are always a bit better on this site,then he asked if you had a pound cake recipe.Since he keeps saying i owe him(he very nicely washes dishes and cleans the kitchen when i bake)i want to make this for him.
    Well, I am happy you are coming to King Arthur as a resource. You may certainly try this recipe with a GF multi-purpose flour or create your own blend by whisking together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. That is a large quantity, but will keep if stored in an airtight container. You will also need to add a product called Xanthan Gum to the recipe. Try using about a ½ teaspoon per cup of GF flour in any recipe. We have more GF information on our site, so take a look! Experiment, Ok? And let us know how you make out. Elisabeth

42. chinchillalover

Thank you SO much! The pound cake turned out GORGEOUS! My brother could not stop smiling and when I told him the pound cake was done he just smiled and said “Ooh!”. Thank you King Arthur Flour!
    SO glad you enjoyed the recipe! :) ~Jessica@KAF

43. Barbara

I have made a pound cake almost every week for the last 10 or 12 years–(boring, but that is the only one my husband likes)!
    I use the Betty Crocker mix, and have changed it with cream cheese, different flavors of liquids (juice, soda, coffee), and I am
    so excited to make this one when I get my King Arthur flour. I used it for years, and am now in California, and was delighted to
    hear you guys are back in business. Can’t wait to tell you how it comes out.
    Hi Barbara,
    Glad you can get the flour again. We never left the business, but you may not have been able to find us as easily on the West Coast. We’ve been around for 220+ years and still going strong. Happy baking! ~ MaryJane

44. Lauren

I’ve tried making this cake only to have a disappointingly hard crust but a warm, most middle. Any reason why this happens? And it’s not just with the pound cake, but also with cupcakes :/ Help?

Lauren, there are so many things that could be happening… Please call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717; they can chat with you and figure out what’s up. PJH

45. bibiswas

I made this cake yesterday. It was beautiful, very moist, soft and everything a great pound cake should be. My batter however did not look like the pictures. It was totally “pourable”, in ribbons, and certainly not spoonable. I weighed my ingredients, both solids and liquids and followed instructions to keep things at room temperature. It tasted wonderful – but I wish I knew how to make a spoonable batter like your pictures so that I don’t panic about the possibility of a kitchen disaster!

If the batter was thick enough for ribbons, it is thick enough to spoon. Sounds like you did just fine. Frank @ KAF.

46. Bridgid

For Michelle, whose husband has been diagnosed as diabetic: I am a former diabetic. Splenda will not help as much as you think it may. The real culprit (forgive me, KAF) is flour. Your husband can have a SMALL piece of cake and then walk for ten minutes. The walking immediately after eating will lower blood sugar considerably. It will be more effective if he pairs his starch with protein. His bsl levels will also be lower if he has the cake after a meal that contains veggies & protein and no starch. That is how I kept my levels decently, and once I lost weight, the diabetes went away. I still have my cake & eat it too and am healthy now. Hope this helps!

47. coxie

Hi
    A loyal KAF product user, I wanted to know if the Pound cake recipe can be doubeled? I always use a round tube pan for my
    pound cakes, I hve the original Pound cake recipe for “Elvis ‘s
    favorite cake published in the news paper many yeard ago, it
    differs a little from yours, am anxious to try your recipe.

Yes, Barb, you can double this recipe; not sure if doubling it will produce the amount of batter you need for your tube pan, but look at the flour amount of your current recipe, and see how it compares to this recipe; that should give you some guidance. Any questions, call our bakers’ hotline, 802-649-3717. Good luck – PJH

48. bonnievt

This looks yummy and I had already decided to make some sort of cake tomorrow – this will be it~
    I have a 12x4x4 non-srick pan I got from KA a few years ago – I would like to use that pan. Should I lower the temperature? I haven’t used it for any type of cake yet so I don’t know if it will brown too quickly, as the older non-stick pans used to do.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you – we should be enjoying this tomorrow after dinner!

Bonnie, I don’t think you’d need to lower the temperature, unless it’s black metal – is it? It’s not the non-stick that speeds up baking, it’s the dark color. If it’s dark, you might want to lower the temperature 25°, and perhaps bake for a bit shorter time than called for in the recipe, due to the pan’s longer, thinner shape. If it’s our stoneware 12″ x 4″ pan, then no need to change anything; just follow the directions as written. Enjoy the cake! PJH

49. marshaj

Will taking the cake out of the oven to brush on the glaze cause the cake to fall before I can get it back into the oven?

Marsha, it should be set enough by that time. If it seems at all “jiggly” and delicate, just leave it in for a few more minutes, until it looks/feels set. PJH

50. Margy

For Michelle–there is a product on the market called Whey Low that is a specialized sugar formulation with a low glycemic index that can supposedly be used by diabetics. I’ve only used it to sweeten drinks (I’m pre-diabetic), but it looks, weighs, and measures like regular sugar, and can supposedly be used cup for cup for regular sugar in baking. I found mine in an organic food market; you can Google them to find their web site. It is expensive compared to regular sugar.

51. Dotty Pullo

I made this cake last Friday to take to a meeting. When I brought the cake and vanilla ice cream to my meeting I asked everyone to rate the cake and told them why. The responses I got where good flavor and enjoyable texture. They added it was definitely a feel free to bake it again cake and bring it next time. For myself I enjoyed the favor. Nice cake.
    So glad to hear that your cake was the hit of the meeting! Sometimes simplicity is best! Happy Baking…and sharing! ~Mel

52. Terry Evans

What kind of gluten free flour would you suggest in order to make this wonderful pound cake. I want to substitute it for the wheat flour in the recipe. I probably would need a nice light gluten free flour of some kind. Thank you so much.
    You may try this recipe from our site, GF Brown Rice Flour Blend in place of the wheat flour. Don’t forget to add some xanthan gum to the pound cake recipe. Plus, you may need to cut down on the sugar and fat by 1/8-1/4x. I do not want to discourage you, but you may want to try a tested GF pound cake recipe. This will be an experiment! Elisabeth

53. bhooson

Can I use this recipe to make mini loaves such as in the KAF mini bakeable loaf pans? IF so how many pans would the recipe fill?

Not sure what size pans you’re talking about, as we’ve sold different sizes over the years. To figure this out, your best bet is to fill a 9″ x 5″ pan about 2/3 full of water; then carefully pour the water into the mini pans, filling each about 2/3 full. However many pans have water in them when you run out, that’s how many mini loaves this recipe will make. Good luck – PJH

54. Carol McMillion

This cake sounds and looks so good am wondering how one could increase ingredients to make a full size tube cake, which I need for Monday evening. Please help if you can….someone. That would mean 12 eggs???

Hello, Carol! Please call our Baker’s Hotline and we will help to troubleshoot this issue. I doubt you will need to increase the cake by that quantity unless you have a very large tube pan. Jon@KAF 855 371 2253

55. Pamela

Hi,

I live in a high altitide city (7,350 feet) and plan to bake this pound cake. Are there any changes you might suggest to ensure it comes out as wonderful as yours?