Pull-Apart Pepperoni Biscuits: pizza made perfectly puffy

PepperoniMonkeyBreadC2M

Got my hat, got my coat, I’m off to join the PED-PEW club.

Care to come along?

The PED-PEW club was established, umm, now by errr, me.

PED-PEW stands for Pizza Every Day-Pizza Every Way. It’s also really cool if you say it out loud, like a gunslinger. “Ped-pew!”

PED-PEW members are dedicated to trying to find ways to incorporate pizza into their diets each and every day. Start your day with Breakfast Pizza, use cut-up, toasted pieces of dinner pizza as salad croutons or dipping sticks for your Ranch dressing and, of course, have pizza for dinner.

Okay, I admit PED-PEW is a bit extreme, and I’m currently the only member. In fact, PED-PEW will probably fold by the end of this blog.

Seriously, though, I do go through stages where I feel I could eat pizza every day in every way. Homemade tops the list, but a good Thai chicken pizza from the local parlor is pretty high up there, too.

Did you know that one of the perks of being a KAF employee-owner is that on alternate weeks when we don’t get paychecks (we’re get our checks every other week), we get a free loaf of bread from the bakery? You even have the option of getting pizza dough; it comes to your desk frozen, and is usually thawed out by the time you head home. How’s that for handy? It certainly works for keeping the cravings in check.

If the mania lasts too long, I try to stop it by purchasing  a frozen french bread pizza, and sometimes even that does the trick. I rarely want to go there, knowing I can’t pronounce most of what’s on the label, so I’d like to thank Charlotte in the test kitchen for creating these Pull-Apart Pepperoni Biscuits. I can make them in less than an hour, and know exactly what I’m using to satisfy my craving.

In a large mixing bowl, place the following:

3 1/2 cups (14 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Pizza Dough Flavor
1 tablespoon Pizza Seasoning
2 tablespoons baking powder (yes, tablespoons)
1 tablespoon sugar

Whisk together well.

Pour in 2 cups heavy cream. Gently mix the dough together until it’s nearly all moistened.

Turn the  dough out onto your work surface and gently knead until it’s one cohesive piece. If you have any very dry spots, drizzle them with a little extra cream or milk until they’re moistened and incorporated.

Preheat the oven to 400°F while you assemble the biscuit bites. Grease four 10-ounce ramekins, or two 12-cup muffin tins.

Roll the dough 1/4″ thick. Use a biscuit cutter to cut the dough into 2 3/4″ squares. You’ll need a total of 32 squares, so you’ll probably need to re-roll at some point. Just try to keep the pieces an even thickness.

Filling
15-ounce can (2 scant cups) pizza sauce
2 ounces sliced pepperoni
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese

Onto each square place 1/4 teaspoon prepared pizza sauce, a few pieces of pepperoni, and 1 teaspoon of cheese.

Bring two opposite corners together with a pinch, then the other two corners to form a little purse. Seal all seams well and roll between your palms to create a round ball. It will be about the size of a ping-pong ball, or a large walnut.

If you’re using ramekins, place eight biscuit balls in each well-greased dish.

If you’re using muffin tins, place two or three balls in each well-greased well. I tried it both ways and didn’t really have a mad preference for one or the other. If you have a lot of folks to feed, go with two per well.

Bake in the hot 400°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes for ramekins, 20 to 25 minutes for muffin tins. The biscuit tops will turn a lovely golden brown, and little bubbles of sauce and cheese will start doing a lovely lava-flow.

Yeah, I said sauce and cheeeese.

Hey, man overboard! Guess the sharks bakers will get him now.

There, at least this pot full of pizza goodness behaved.

Serve the biscuit bites hot, with the extra pizza sauce for dipping. The pizza seasoning in the dough really makes the whole house smell like a pizza parlor, and you’ll have your family and friends grabbing these up in no time.

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Pull-Apart Pepperoni Biscuits.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. gaitedgirl

“Hello, my name is Jamie and I’m a pizza addict.”
    “Hi Jamie!” the happy, numerous voices cry from the audience.

Consider this my membership application for the PED-PEW club. I hope I can expedite the process by saying I’ll make these over the weekend and I can guarantee that none will be left by this time Wednesday.

(they say the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem… is being addicted pizza considered a problem? No? works for me.)

2. Swathi

PJ,
    I can’t join in your club. But I will be like to guest on one day and try this delicious dish. I am going to try this one and let you know the result.

3. Christine

Hi, I am glad to finally find a name for us. My four children have eaten pizza for a whole week and it is still a frequent request for dinner, in any form. We love King Arthur and spread the word when we can. Love the blogs.

4. JuliaJ

Sounds like this would make a great mini-appetizer using a mini-muffin tin with one ball in each well. My niece is a vegetarian so with individual pizza balls, I can make a veg filling for her and one with meat for the omnivores. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. argentyne

gah, I was trying SO HARD to behave and make a non-pizza dinner tonight. But oh, just reading the description of these makes me crave pizza like it’s going out of style. :)

I may have to buy more flour and make these this weekend…

6. Brenda

Sounds good–might have to try this some day. Beautiful day up here in Northern Maine, FINALLY, made even better by pizza for breakfast (and scrambled eggs for supper)!

7. mdeatherage

The recipe calls for a 15-ounce can (“2 scant cups”) of pizza sauce, but then it says to put 1/4 teaspoon of sauce on each of 32 squares. That’s a total of 8 teaspoons of sauce, or just under 3 tablespoons, probably around 1/6 cup.

What am I missing?

The remainder is for dipping. Frank @ KAF.

8. cupcake store

I love to eat Pizza but I’m kinda you can say a half Pizza lover….
    because not all Pizza I like. It depends. Right now I stay on chicken pepper after try some of the flavor. cause at my town there are not so many selection of flavor…. but I really wish to have pizza that is really thin…we have not get that kind of pizza here yet…….

9. "Becky in GSO"

This sounds like a really good crowd item. I wonder how the dough would work as a pizza crust?

This really is a biscuit dough, leavened with Baking Powder and held together with Heavy Cream. It’s certainly worth a try in a larger format. But it will likely end up being more of a “knife & fork” affair. Give it a try. Frank @ KAF.

10. mdeatherage

Ooh, dipping! So “what am I missing” turned out to be “the last picture and its text.”

I have to make my own pizza sauce for these kinds of things, so I was wondering why I’d need to make two cups of sauce for 6 teaspoons. But I could use a little leftover sauce for the rolls and dip in an alfredo sauce if I wanted. Or some olive oil with herbs. Or some roasted garlic. Hmmm!

11. chingachgook

PED-PEW. If I make these, I’m automatically a member, right?

I know what’s with supper tonight–Pizza Biscuits and scrambled eggs.

Pizza is nature’s most nearly perfect food (garfield)

12. mamsis

Would a yeast pizza dough work in this? The biscuit dough is an interesting alternative, but I really prefer that yeasty stuff with my pizza toppings. Would it be too unruly used in this way? Maybe if it wasn’t allowed to raise (much)? I love the idea of the stuffed pizza balls in a muffin cup. Thanks for another inspiration!

There’s no reason yeast dough can’t work for this; just be prepared for it to want to climb up. You’ll likely have some mushroomy-looking results, but they’re sure going to taste good. A yeast version would be a lot like a savory monkey bread. Susan

13. Tina

Is there a way to convert this to “gluten free”???

Tina: I’d start with this gluten-free scone recipe as a base; leave out the sugar and the fruit, and add the pizza seasoning and pizza dough flavor. Try scooping the batter instead of rolling it into squares. Wet your finger and make a hole inside the scooped blob of dough, and put the cheese and sauce inside that way.
    May be messy, but should get you pretty close. Susan

14. PatchworkJackie

I’d like to join the PED-PEW club! My parents told me through my whole childhood that if I kept asking for pizza all the time, I would get sick of it. What really happened was that now as an adult, I have to stop myself from eating pizza for every meal! Will definitely be making these very soon.

15. Billie-Jo

I made these last weekend and they were so yummy! I am definitely a member of the PED-PEW club, but I am considering other “stuffing” alternatives. Hearing that this is more a biscuit dough makes sense since I want to try this with ham and cheddar cheese!

16. chinchillalover

Could I make these without pizza dough flavor?

Sure – just there for flavor. Enjoy – PJH

17. Murph

Are there suggested alternatives to the “Pizza Dough Flavor” and “Pizza Seasoning”? Can I find them at a local supermarket?

Not that I don’t love the KAF store, but I’d rather make these soon then waiting for my next order :3

I’m sorry, we do not distribute either of these. For “pizza seasoning” try an “Italian Herb Blend” from the spice aisle. Frank @ KAF.

And Pizza Dough Flavor is a cheese/garlic type flavor – try adding a touch of Parmesan and some garlic powder… PJH