Classic Sourdough Bread: time steps in for added yeast.

DSC_1768

Sourdough bread.

For many, it’s the Mt. Everest of bread baking.

If you can “conquer” sourdough, there’s nothing you can’t do, bread-wise.

Not surprisingly, many new bread bakers want to jump right in and begin with sourdough. After all, it’s so distinctive; so delicious; so… well, trendy.

But tackling sourdough bread your first time out of the gate is like nosing into traffic on the Indianapolis 500 speedway when you’ve just gotten your learner’s permit.

Trust me – not a good idea.

Sourdough baking has a long (but ultimately simple) learning curve. If there was ever any process that should be taken one small step at a time, it’s baking sourdough bread.

First, you make your starter. Then, you feed it regularly until it’s strong and vigorous. These first two steps may take up to a week or more.

Then, and only then, do you bake bread.

Attention, sourdough newbies: don’t be discouraged. Our posts on creating your own starter and maintaining your starter take you step by step through the process.

Plus, if you run into a challenge along the way (a crevasse on the trail up Everest), our bakers’ hotline folks are ready to help – 855-371-2253.

Once you’re ready to bake, Rustic Sourdough Bread, with added yeast, is a pretty fail-safe way to start.

And once you’ve mastered THAT, you’re ready to plant your banner on the Summit of Sourdough:

The classic sourdough loaf, leavened simply with the starter you’ve been so lovingly feeding and growing – no Red Star, no SAF, just your own wild yeast.

So, whether you’re a seasoned sourdough trekker looking for a chewy, moist, richly flavored loaf of “natural” sourdough; or a sourdough neophyte who’s ready to take your baking above treeline, enjoy this recipe.

We call it Extra-Tangy Sourdough Bread, but that’s really a misnomer. Extra-flavorful would be closer to the mark; because there’s nothing like the nuanced, complex flavor of sourdough bread made simply with flour, water, salt, starter… and time.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our gridded photos.

First, make sure your starter has been fed, and is good and vigorous: if not ready to leap tall buildings in a single bound, it should at least be prepared to raise bread dough all by itself – without the benefit of added yeast.

Place 1 cup (about 8 ounces) fed, vigorous sourdough starter in a bowl.

Add 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, and 3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour. Beat vigorously.

Cover, and let rest at room temperature for 4 hours. Then refrigerate overnight, or for about 12 hours.

The dough will expand a bit during its overnight rise, but don’t expect it to go crazy. You may see some large, lumpy bubbles trying to emerge – kind of like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Add 2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 2 1/4 teaspoons salt.

Mix and knead to form a smooth, satiny dough. The dough may seem dry at first; but keep kneading.

It’ll eventually become very stretchy (albeit still a tiny bit sticky), and will have a lovely sheen.

Allow the dough to rest in a covered bowl until it’s relaxed, smoothed out, and expanded somewhat. Depending on the vigor of your starter, it may become REALLY puffy; or it may just rise a bit. This can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours.

Understand this: sourdough bread (especially sourdough without added yeast) is as much art as science; everyone’s timetable will be different. So please allow yourself to go with the flow, and not treat this as an exact, to-the-minute process.

Gently divide the dough in half. Shape it into two oval loaves, and place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.

Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 2 to 4 hours. Don’t worry if the loaves spread more than they rise; they’ll pick up once they hit the oven’s heat.

Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.

Gently spritz or brush the loaves with lukewarm water…

…and quickly give each one three 1/2″ to 3/4″-deep slashes, diagonally across the top surface.

This is scary, I know; you think you’re going to deflate your lovely loaves.

Guess what? You will. But if you get them into the hot oven IMMEDIATELY, they’ll pick right back up.

Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until its interior registers at least 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.

The loaves may brown beautifully.

On the other hand, depending on how long you’ve let the dough/shaped loaves rise, they may brown very little.

Why does sourdough bread often not brown as well as a standard, non-sourdough loaf?

Well, while the dough is going through its prolonged rises, lactobacilli has been helpfully converting starch in the flour into simple sugars for the yeast to consume. Eventually, though, the yeast has been working in the dough for so long, it consumes just about all the sugar there is.

Which means there’s none left for caramelization on the loaf’s surface: browning.

If they appear to be browning insufficiently for your taste, and you don’t mind a bit of oil, remove them from the oven with about 5 minutes left in their baking time. Brush or spray with olive oil, and return to the oven.

The loaf on the left is untouched by oil; the one on the right, sprayed with olive oil. Your choice.

Here’s the loaf without oil. It’s not a deep golden brown, but hey, it is what it is – sourdough.

Cool completely before cutting.

Nice crumb, eh? Love the big holes.

You’ll find this loaf is very chewy, somewhat dense, and nicely moist.

Best way to store this bread: cut-side down on the counter.

That’s right – no bag, no refrigerator. It’ll stay pretty fresh for several days. If it feels weird not bagging it (or if you fear the cat may give it a lick), place it in a bag, paper or plastic, but don’t seal it up; sealing will turn the crust rubbery.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Extra-Tangy Sourdough Bread.

Note: for added sour tang, try adding 1/2 teaspoon to 5/8 teaspoon sour salt (citric acid) to the dough.

comments

1. marcin

I’ve been making this bread every week for the past three months, and I’ve learned a lot. One thing I learned from you on some other post is to add flour 2 tablespoons at a time until the dough has the right amount, not too much and not too little. I now have control over the process. And I use the paddle attachment on my mixer for a minute or so both days to make sure the dough ingredients are mixed well. Sometimes I have to add more water, sometimes more flour. Also, I now make it in 8 1/2 by 5 inch loaf pans so we can get the slices into the toaster. Also, with great success, I have been combining the two recipes that came with my starter. So I do everything the way you have written here, but I add 2 teaspoons of instant yeast the second day because my dough was not rising without it. I’m wondering, hoping, that the problem was the dry winter air and that now that it is warmer and more humid, I won’t need the yeast the second day. We’ll see next week. I have been making bread for over thirty years, and this is spectacular. The flavor and texture are so wonderful. Now we are waiting for our homegrown tomatoes. What a perfect sandwich that will be! Thank you, PJH and KAF. Your instructions make it so easy and successful.

And thank YOU, Marcin, for carrying on the great cultural tradition of bread-baking. Sounds like you’ve become a seasoned sourdough baker; it’s certainly interesting, isn’t it? A little tweak here, a little change there, and you can produce subtle changes in your bread. Glad we could be a small part of your journey. PJH

2. fredericahuxley

You are absolutely right: You have to be comfortable with bread making before attempting sourdough! The timings all change with the seasons, and the different flours used, and you have to just go with the flow, and let the dough tell you when to proceed to the next step. It is such a satisfaction, making sourdough bread, and it is the way that bread was made for millenia – no timings, no yeast, no oven temperatures – just the incredible fusion of water, flour and salt. My particular pleasure is to convert recipes back to sourdough.

So beautifully put, Frederica – sounds like you’ve really embraced the sourdough spirit… Thanks for your words here. PJH

3. lowneyshopping

Could you explain the ‘brushing with lukewarm water’ step? That is not on the directions which come with your sourdough starter, so it confused me.

Thanks!

Everyone’s different in their approach to sourdough; there’s no one right or wrong way. I like to brush my shaped loaf with warm water because my theory is that the water will 1) keep the crust just moist enough that it doesn’t set until it’s done rising fully; and 2) will create steam as it evaporates, creating a crisp/crackly crust. Try it and see if you like it – PJH

4. Candace

Recipe looks good but it sure isn’t Heirloom Tomato Pasta Salad. I clicked on today’s KAF email (yummy looking photo!) “see how it’s done” and got this!

I know – has to do with when each blog is published. Unfortunately, there was a mixup with when the pasta salad blog was published (several weeks ago). Long story short – sorry about that! PJH

5. Candace

Without having used this recipe I have to comment. Sourdough is the most wonderful stuff! We have been using our starter for nearly 40 years, since we got the starter packet while living in San Francisco. It is so forgiving, which is not the general comment one hears about sourdough starter. We have forgotten it for months in the back of the fridge, freshen it up, and off she goes! We don’t use it much in the summer, but winters in our house involve sourdough bread, pancakes, waffles and so much more.

I agree, Candace – my sourdough must feel pretty abused at times, but some TLC seems to bring it back to health just fine… PJH

6. JuliaJ

Your recipe for pane francese makes a very similar loaf, using a lump of “old dough” as a starter, and no pre-bake slashing. I find it simpler to hold back a ball of dough for the next loaf than to maintain a starter. As with this recipe, the long rise is essential–I’ve rushed the 3-step rise for a pane francese from start to end in 8 hours but it’s a much better loaf with a 12-18 hour total rise time.

Julia, thanks for the reminder – that pane francese recipe is indeed a good one… PJH

7. meganpcannella

I’ve been making this bread for several months now. It comes out differently every time. My big question is: after you let the starter, flour and water sit overnight, you add 5C more flour the next day. Do you then add more water? I’ve found it impossible *not* to add more water…up to 1.5cups. Is this a huge no-no? I’m mixing this bread on my own–no mixer.
    Thanks for the advice and fantastic website and recipes!

Megan, if the bread’s texture seems right to you, then I guess you’re managing to balance your flour and water, somehow. The recipe as written (1 cup fairly liquid starter, 1 1/2 cups to 1 2/3 cups water) makes a dough with a minimum hydration of about 63% – which is about average (not too stiff, not too soft). If you add an additional 1 1/2 cups water, that would bring your hydration up over 100% – which is basically pourable liquid. Are you using King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, rather than bread flour? Are you measuring your flour by weight (5 cups = 21 1/4 ounces), or by the “sprinkle and sweep” method? I’m guessing either you’re using a high protein flour, or measuring it differently than we do here. You may want to speak to the folks on our baker’s hotline about this – a two-way dialogue might get to the bottom of this more quickly than posting here… So give ‘em a call, OK? 802-649-3717. Thanks for connecting here – PJH

1. SkiIdahonorthsouth

If you are adding 5 cups the second day, you have mis-read the recipe…

Starter, water, 3 cups (of the total of 5 cups) flour sits overnight.

Then, the next day…

Add the remaining ingredients including approx. 2 cups of flour to get a 5 cup total. It might need +/- a little bit and is indeed effected by humidity. But the +/- will be less than 1/2 cup usually.

8. glpruett

I made sourdough weekly for many years, and then got out of the habit. When I saw this post last week, I thought it would be great fun to make a couple of loaves of sourdough, sans added yeast, to complement my Father’s Day gift to my husband of a grill pan and press. What a sandwich!

The results were fantastic! I must admit that I wasn’t too optimistic when I saw those two roughly-oval-shaped lumps lying there on my parchment paper lined pan, but when I slashed it and put it in the hot oven, the oven spring I got was incredible! It probably would have been even more impressive if I had remembered to spritz the dough with the warm water prior to putting the bread in the oven, but mistakes just HAPPEN! At any rate, the bread had a fantastic tang, chewy crumb, and was beautiful to boot! Thanks again!

9. pmartin

I think the problem meganpcannella may be having is by adding an additional 5C of flour on the second day. Wouldn’t it be 3C first then an additional 2 the next?

You’re absolutely right – I completely spaced on that detail of what she wrote. Thanks so much, I’ve rewritten that recipe step to make it clearer. Sometimes it takes a community to write a recipe! PJH

10. pschapman

The may seem like a really simple question but can you give any tips (or links to tips) for shaping an oval loaf? All the tutorials I see are for boules and batards. I have baked this recipe several times but always end up shaping as 2 boules because it’s what I feel comfortable with. I’ve been reluctant to mess around with something new because the dough always seems very “fragile”. Thanks!
    I found just what you are looking for here. ~Amy

11. ImADoughDoughBird

My first screaming success with a sourdough recipe – I’d been trying and trying and faithfully tending to my starter, but every loaf had something wrong. I had almost changed my mind about sourdough and resigned myself to making all bread in the house except for sourdough. I thought maybe my plants would appreciate the starter I had left as a nice nutritious meal, and I would wash my hands of this whole sourdough business. Until these two beautiful loaves came along and changed my mind BACK and I’m right back where I belong – on the sourdough wagon! DELICIOUS – crusty – tangy – holes where there should be holes and none where there shouldn’t…maybe it had a little to do with all the practice but I’m giving the recipe the credit! Thank you!!!

I am SO GLAD this worked out for you! We love reading about our customers’ successes, so thanks so much for sharing here. And – enjoy your newfound status as a sourdough expert. :) PJH

12. Tall_Hall

I bake non-sour dough bread using a clay pot to achieve an artisan crust. Is this possible/necessary with the sour dough recipe?
    Yes, you could use your clay pot for just about any bread. Let us know how it comes out! Elisabeth

13. Renee G.

I live at 6,800 ft and am curious about any changes I should make to this recipe for high altitude?

I’ve got a starter going and it will be ready to bake with in about 4 days.
    Hi Renee
    We have a wonderful chart for high altitude adjustments on our site. It tells you what to change, how to change it and why. It’s an excellent resource for our fellow bakers in the clouds. ~ MaryJane

14. Emma

I’m in the middle of my second attempt at this recipe. The first try wasn’t bad, the loaves just didn’t rise much in baking, so they came out more like sourdough flat breads (very tasty, though). In re-reading the recipe, I wonder if I should have let them rise another hour before baking or if my terrible NYC apartment oven with no window wasn’t yet hot enough. I also have a couple of questions: 1.) When you knead the dough, do you do a full-on kneading session, or is this more of a gentle incorporation of the ingredients? I can’t tell how long or vigorous the kneading should be from the recipe or blog posting. 2.) When you shape the loaves, do you punch the dough down first or do you try to preserve the bubbliness by handling it gently? Thanks!

Sourdough is a real learning experience, Emma – you may try letting the loaves rise more next time; and you might also try letting the dough rise LESS prior to shaping, as it’s possible the flatness comes from the gluten having become so tenderized by the sourdough’s acids over time, it just starts to give up the ghost… The kneading should be full on; knead as you would any yeast dough. And I never punch dough down; I gently (but thoroughly) deflate it. Doing this expels the CO2 and gives the yeast new oxygen to “breathe.” Please call our hotline, 802-649-3717, if you’d like an easier way to back-and-forth about sourdough bread. Good luck – PJH

15. Ann

I’m trying this out for the first time, but my starter’s been really vigorous so I have my fingers crossed.

I’ve halved the recipe since I wanted to just try it with one loaf of bread.

So I’ve just added the first portion of flour–1.5 cups for me–along with the water and the starter. My dough is…doughy. Relatively stiff in that it maintains it shape overall. Is this what I’m going for or next time should I try adding more water? The picture you have posted looks pretty watery.

Also, tips on what to cover it with? I need to buy saran wrap…so currently I’ve just been putting a pan over the bowl as a lid.

If the dough seems rather stiff (and not elastic and stringy like the pictures), you can add a few tablespoons of water to loosen it up and knead another few minutes to get it incorporated. It is also possible that the dough wasn’t quite done kneading (but again, a little extra water is FAR better than too little!). To cover, a pan lid will work great! I also use a (clean!) shower cap as it fits most any round vessel in my kitchen!! With a stiffer dough, you’ll likely to let it rise longer in order to get it up to that “doubled” stage–a stiffer dough requires more time since the yeast can’t move around quite as well. Hopefully this helps! Kim@KAF

16. Barbara

This was my first attempt at making bread…I actually sprouted some wheatberries and rye, dehydrated them, and ground into flour… and mixed with water kefir for a sourdough starter. I was excited..and did not wait long enough…so my bread is very dense..but VERY tasty….i followed your directions after the starter….and added your unbleached flour. I generally don’t eat bread..am a raw vegan chef – but have wanted to try sprouting my own grains and using water kefir for sour dough starter. Anyone ever do this? I’m having a hard time finding good instructions for amounts…so I just used half rye flour(sprouted) and half wheat. for starter.

When subbing recipe ingredients it’s good to do them one at a time – then if the recipe results are poor, you can pinpoint the culprit. This may be a terrific topic for the community part of this website. There are some other threads there that may be helpful in your quest. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

17. Brigit

I made sourdough bread in Spain for three years when I lived there in the early nineties, using a starter created from Carol Field’s excellent book “The Italian Baker,” I was limited with the flour I could get, but my results were spectacular, once I learned about my starter. Since then, um, I’ve been too busy. Now, I’m back! The embarrassment of riches available via mail-order here in the USA makes me curious but almost like a kid in a candy store – unable to decide. I mistakenly ordered a large quantity of active dry yeast (from KAF), for those times when I wasn’t confident enough in the naked starter. But, I don’t want to have to proof it in warm water. I see that most recipes call for instant/quick-rise, if yeast is needed. With the long ferment time, will active dry yeast eventually become, um, active? Even if it’s mixed in with the room-temp starter and flour? Or, should my water addition be quite hot?
    Definitely avoid hot water, as you don’t want to kill off the yeast. The active dry will definitely take longer to get up and running, and it can throw off your proofing times. I’d really say stick with the proofing step if you can. As little as 10 minutes of pre-planning can keep your recipe on track, rather than having to play catch-up while you wait for your yeast. ~ MaryJane

18. Julianne

I’d tried making sourdough bread twice with other recipes and they turned out flat and horrible. This recipe, on the other hand… wow, what a revelation! The instructions were spot on and it was so helpful to have the photos as a reference point. As you suggested, as soon as I slashed my loaf (I halved the quantities and made one boule), it flattened to only an inch high but after two minutes in the oven it had risen incredibly.

I expected the crust to be quite thick and crisp, but it was soft and chewy (still nice!), even though I left it to cool in the turned-off oven to evaporate any remaining moisture (internal temperature 200F). I thought that spraying with water, adding steam etc was done to get a crisp crust, but this is obviously not the case, so how would I achieve that result, please?

Steam does indeed help with creating a great crust. However, I find that if you do not allow the steam to escape once the bread begins to brown then the extra moisture will soften the crust. This can be done by simply opening the oven for a few seconds to allow the steam to escape!-Jon

19. eselleme

So this was my first whack at sourdough ever. I know, you guys advised for this not to be the first sourdough to take on, but I was feeling confident! Honestly, it paid off! I made the first batch over the weekend and both loaves were gone within 24 hours from when they came out of the oven. I used my Zo for when I mixed/kneaded everything in and my second rise and it came out beautifully. Awesome sour, tangy flavor with a great, thick crust.
    The second batch I made this week and added garlic and rosemary. I brushed the top with a tiny bit of garlic oil in the last 5 or so minutes then sprinkled with sea salt. Wow, this was AMAZING. I’m saving one loaf for Christmas dinner!
    In case anyone can use this tip: I’m having trouble proofing things in my drafty kitchen. I actually proofed them in my oven. I took a pot of boiling water and put it on the bottom rack. I put my shaped loaves on the top rack then shut the door quickly. I turned the oven to 400 degrees and started it, and turned it off once the preheat was on for a minute in a half. I left the oven door shut until they were proofed. This worked out great! I also baked them with a pan of ice cubes in the bottom of the oven to get a nice, hard crust on the bottom to create steam :)
    Thanks for posting this, I loved the detailed instructions for someone who is a beginner at sourdough.

Wow, great job – as you say, this is a challenge for beginners, but it sounds like you pulled it off wonderfully well. Thanks for the tips, too – so helpful to others following this recipe. Enjoy – PJH

20. oliverhsg

Do you recommend kneading in a mixer or by hand–or a certain combination of both? In the photos, it appears as if the dough is always in a mixer bowl. I figure you KAF folks have some pretty great equipment but my KitchenAid could handle it. However, I just made my KitchenAid Artisan stand mixer overheat and release some pretty acrid smelling smoke (!) by kneading the extra-tangy dough. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Oh my! That sounds like your dough might have been too stiff while mixing–the pictures above show how supple and slack the dough should be. Your mixer should not struggle while beating and kneading this particular recipe; rather, the dough stays quite “loose”. Perhaps try working only on very low speeds–I usually never take my mixer beyond the 3rd power setting with doughs–and ensuring your dough is as slack as ours is (a bit more water might do the trick!). Best, Kim@KAF

21. kaf-sub-kimat32779

I have made this recipe many times and all have turned out quite tasty and get a good oven spring and nice crumb using the tips in the blog. I have a couple of nagging questions about dough temperature. After you put the super starter in the fridge overnight – do you finish the dough cold right out of the fridge or let it come to room temp? I have made mine right out of the fridge and still have it double in less than 5 hours but the dough is still pretty cool. I have read recipes that say the dough should be at 78 degrees after kneading. Second question: After shaping into loaves – if you retard the second rise in the fridge for a day or two – ideally how long should it “proof” before baking? I let mine proof a couple of hours after shaping and before putting into the fridge and let them proof after taking them out until they start to be “puffy”. Thanks!
    Thank you for trying this recipe! After the overnight rest, you may mix the dough straight out of the frig. If the loaves are retarding in the frig for that amount of time, I advise to put the loaves in the oven right from the frig. However, if what you are doing is working (nice oven spring and color) by all means, continue. The extended rise time can be a concern for 2 reasons. If over risen the loaf may spread out rather than up while baking. Also, an extended rise time could effect the caramelizing. The yeast consumes all the sugars if given the chance! Elisabeth

22. Emily, Grass Valley CA

Question related to the relative liquidity of the starter. I received some for Christmas (yay!) & the KAF recipe says to “pour a cup”…it MIGHT pour, if I stayed a while, but it’s a pretty gooey starter. I know it’s alive & well (having successfully baked some bread with it), but when I’m using the Super Sour recipe (no extra yeast), there is no way that I can add the full amount of flour. I start out okay, but after the 12 hour slow rising, it calls for 2 more cups flour…the most I’ve gotten in is 1, maybe 1 1/4. I’ve let the dough warm up after removing from the fridge, but that doesn’t really change things.
    Is my starter perhaps too stiff? And what can I do about it?
    Congratulations on your new starter, Emily! All you have to do is bump the water amount in your next feeding if you would like it to be more runny. Your starter is probably very happy with all that extra food (flour) but boosting the hydration will not hurt it a bit. As you noticed, the thicker the starter, the less flour you may need in a given recipe. I am glad you did not try to force the full amount in the recipe! Often our baking decisions are based on “feel” and “appearance.” Happy Baking! Elisabeth

23. bcorrigan

I am new at making the sour dough bread. I made the rustic loafs a few times and they came out great. I then wanted to try the extra-tangy. To my shagrin, I fed the sour dough the night before and was ready to start at 10:00 a.m. I added the proof and the 3 cups of flour, let it sit for a few hours but then was instructed to leave in refridgerator over night or 12 hours. This would take me to 3 a.m. I had to leave for work in the morning so I left it in the refridgerator until I get home from work. Will it still be usable or do I need to restart. What is the best timing to make this bread and do it in a reasonable amount of time, not 3 days? Thanks, Brenda

Brenda, 3 days is what gives it the extra-sour flavor and the good rise, without added yeast. Not knowing your schedule, I’d suggest doing it around a weekend would work better than weekdays. You can speed each resting time up a bit to fit your schedule, but you’ll be sacrificing a bit of both rise and tangy flavor. As with any sourdough bread, experimentation is key – it’s flexible, and you simply have to discover what works best for your schedule, with your starter, in your kitchen. Sorry I can’t be more specific’ but sourdough, esp. sourdough without added yeast, simply doesn’t work like that… PJH

24. Wrangell_Dale

OOOooopps!
    I added the 2 Cups of flour, sugar and salt BEFORE the 12 hour rise in the fridge. I missed that line. Did I kill it? It’s going in the fridge while awaiting the bad news.
    Grumble, grumble…I should learn to read…

I’ll bet it’ll be just fine, Dale – the rising times might be thrown off a bit, but persevere – I’m guessing you’ll end up with a good loaf of bread in the end. PJH

25. Wrangell_Dale

I was amazed! My messed up sponge actually made great bread. Not as sour as I want, but it was tall, beautifully browned, crunchy/chewy top crust and chewy sides and bottom crust. A nice crumb, a little moist inside, but only 3-4 minutes shy of perfection.
    I’ll try my technique again this weekend but with adding the salt, sugar and final 2 cups of flour at the right time!
    Can I post some photos of my first sourdough bread in 30 years?

You are welcome to send them along to our Bakers email OR post on the Community part of the site! To increase the sourness of your starter, you can feed it with half-AP flour and half-whole wheat (or rye) flour. This will boost the nutrients to the yeast and get them super active! Also, you would want to bake your bread to a minimum internal temperature of 190F . If the crust is fully browned before the middle is done, simply tent the loaf with foil and keep baking until the temperature inside reaches that 190F! Best, Kim@KAF

26. captlynhall

I have made five loaves of sourdough bread over the past 4 weeks. I use only my starter, no baker’s yeast and bake them in my dutch oven. They come out looking beautiful, taste good, have a nice crispy crust, but the crumb feels a bit rubbery to the touch. My recipe says to cook until the internal temperature is 210 degrees, but I have never been able to get to that. About 205 is the most. Could the crumb be that consistency because it is not being baked long enough to reach 210 inside?

Sounds to me like you might try taking the cover off your Dutch oven sooner; a rubbery interior is often the sign of too much steaming. You might also try not baking in the Dutch oven at all, unless the dough is so soft it needs the support… Good luck – PJH

27. mikeoak840

I have two beautiful loaves of this sourdough bread doing their last 2-4 hour rise before a few quick slashes and into the oven. I haven’t made sourdough in YEARS, but the feel, the look and so forth of this bread appears to be fantastic. I’m not sure if it’s YOUR sourdough starter, your bread flour, dumb luck or some mystic combination of the three, but I can already tell this is a winner.

One thing I noted – the instructions here on the website and those on the back of the starter instruction sheet differ. Some of the rise/rest times are different, the instruction sheet doesn’t include spritzing or brushing the loaves with water just before slashing & baking, and so forth. When I sat down and fired up the computer, I thought I’d perhaps goofed. I know it will all come out in the end, but getting the instruction sheet and website in sync as much as possible would, I’m sure, be helpful for other bakers.

In looking at some of the reviews here on the website and the recipe here, it appears some things have changed – the recipe above says bake to an internal temperature of 190, but a 2/12/2013 post says their recipe says 210 degrees…and the baker is only able to get it to 205. Another post says 190 degrees minimum. This will be the first time I’ve baked bread to a certain internal temperature – in the past it’s been time and look. Again – I’m sure it’s all going to work out fine in the end.

Mike, sourdough is SO flexible that it can become confusing. Let me check with our customer service team about the “starter instruction sheet” – I’m not sure what that is or what it says, but I’ll find out. As for the 2/12 review, my impression was the writer was citing a different recipe, not the one here in this blog. I like to bake any dense, whole-grain loaves to a higher temperature, but sourdough is usually light-textured enough that I keep it between “at least 190°F” (as the recipe says) and 200°F. I’m betting your bread is going to come out just fine… welcome back to sourdough baking! PJH

28. traisi69468

Terrible outcome. Flat, thick crunchy crust that is not easy to break, doesn’t cook on the inside and no rise. Flavor was terrible, no sourdough taste at all, just a bit of tang is all. I used KAF sourdough starter which was very active. 2 days of work for these paperweights and several dollars of expensive KAF flour wasted.
    I am so sorry this was not a good experience for you! Sourdough can be a challenge and we certainly understand these challenges. We want to help and would really love for you to call and speak to one of our bakers. We are not able to compensate for your time but can for the materials. Our toll free number is 1-855-371-2253 and are here every day until 9pm during the week and 5pm on weekends. You’ll be back in the saddle soon! Elisabeth

29. kkmbakes

How much flexibility is there in the rise and fermentation times e.g. Can I feed the starter for 16 hours instead of 12 hours? Can I leave the first dough in the fridge for 20 hours instead of 12 house? And so on. I can understand that the times given should be minimum times, but are they maximum times too?

Waiting for the prescribed times can restrict your daily schedule.

Sure, give anything you want a try. You’ll figure out how to adjust to your schedule as you go along. Since none of us has tested every variation, every time you bake it’s research: record what you do, and the results. That way, you’ll soon find your “sweet spot” of rise/temperature/flavor. Good luck – PJH

30. M&M

I’ve been baking sourdough bread for over a year, but it has been a very hitty missy affair!.. However thanks to your wonderful site I have gained a lot of knowledge i.e. why we need to divide the starter, how rye flour will revive a starter that was decidely unwell and the photos are such a great help, as well. Now I have a question – is it possible to plait sourdough? I have tried previously, but I think “disaster” would be the word to describe my efforts. I think that what I want is a challah recipe with a sourdough riser. By the way, I don’t use sugar in my recipe, I use agave syrup. Thanks again for a really wonderful site.

To work with extra-sticky doughs, especially a sourdough-challah, I suggest checking out our no-knead challah recipe. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2009/08/12/the-no-knead-beat-goes-on-easy-challah/ It shows how to braid the dough even with it being very sticky. You could use the no-knead recipe for challah and swap 2-3 cups of flour+1-1.5 cups water for 2 cups of sourdough starter (unfed starter would be best, I think, to keep the dough from rising too quickly initially). Keep the rest of the ingredients the same and be sure the dough texture is very sticky when mixed. Also, check the dough as it rises since the sourdough starter might give the dough some extra rising power! If you notice the dough rising too quickly, simply punch it down once or twice during the first rise to keep it under control. Please send any questions on if you still need some pointers! Kim@KAF

31. Ann

The recipe that came with the starter did not mention the parchment — is that just an extra precaution?

The Extra-Tangy Sourdough Bread recipe advises to use lightly greased OR parchment lined baking sheet for the shaped loaves – you know we love the parchment covered sheets for the ease of clean up! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

32. Gambles

Thank you so much for this blog and the recipe. I read everything I could find before my first attempt at a sourdough only risen loaf! My poor starter has been used for quite a few unfed recipes (the soft rolls are my favorite), but eventually I just got lazy and missed several weekly feedings. So…. more reading to refresh my mind and out on the counter it came to be “rebooted.” Since I spent 3 days feeding it twice a day, that seemed the perfect time to try this recipe since my sourdough was vigorously overflowing the crock! I followed all your directions. I was terrified when I had to “gently form loaves” but I soldiered on. My overnight was more like 18 hours, my next rise was 4 hours, and my last was also 4 which brought my to bread being ready for dinner – which was just a lucky coincidence!

2 ? though: Hopefully I didn’t miss of forget this from my reading, but since I can’t find the answers I’ll ask:
    1: Why do I have to wait for the bread to cool completely? Warm is so much more fun! :)
    2: I used a loaf pan for one of the loaves. The crust is, of course, not as hard, but the shape is much more convenient. Since the crust is softer, would that affect storage? Should it be wrapped, bagged, or still just left with the cut side down on the counter?

Thanks so very much for all this help. I decided to tackle yeast baking about 8 months ago. I’m disabled so I can only bake when my body allows my too which is a problem with multi day recipes. Still with every recipe I have tried, and there have been a lot, THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST!!

Oh sorry, another question: Where is your sourdough starter originally from? Since I know they taste different from all different places, I was shocked when this bread tastes exactly like SAN FRANCISCO sourdough bread!

Thanks again,
    Suzanne

Great questions Suzanne. Here are my responses:
    1.) Waiting for the bread to cool completely allows the crumb to set fully. When the loaf gets pulled from the oven, the starches have fully gelatinized but haven’t had a chance to cool and set into their shape. Thus, when you attempt to slice the warm bread, you often “mush” the bread down and it can turn out squished pretty flat! Best to cool completely and then slice it up (warming them after if you wish) or cool the loaf, re-warm a bit and slice to serve.
    2.)The bread baked in a pan will show a sign of softer crust because the pan insulates the dough as it bakes, trapping in more moisture. If this moisture remains in the loaf after you pull it from the oven, you will have a soft crust and perhaps a pretty damp bread inside. Next time, you may want to tip the loaf out of the pan when it is done baking, and place it in the turned-off oven to dry it a bit and set the crust better–I’d keep it in for 5-8 minutes, being sure to check that it doesn’t burn if the oven was really hot!

The softer crust (i.e. damp loaf) will mold quickly, especially if you store the loaf in plastic. I always keep my bread loaves cut-side down in a heavy paper bag (a clean paper grocery bag is best!).

3.) Our sourdough starter comes from a starter first created in the 1700’s in New England. I was told it actually belonged to one of the former owners of King Arthur Flour, the Sands family! The starter will certainly take on the yeast spores of your home environment, so do be aware that it will evolve over time as it gets fed and used. Best, Kim@KAF

33. Ann

I love love love this recipe. Has anyone used it for rolls? Any other uses for this slow rise technique? I guess it would make a pretty spongy pizza crust…
    Hi Ann,
    Have you checked out the no-knead recipes we have online? You can do so much with no-knead doughs, it’s great! ~ MJ

34. LiseB

Wow, I have to tell my bread story – inspired by landing on this recipe page.
    I lived in Vermont (East Dover) from ’79 to ’89. Bought 10 acres, built a house, had 2 kids, baked all our own bread, pizza dough, etc. My motto was, if ya want good bread ya gotta do it yourself. I have to have good bread.

Then I discovered Hamelman’s bakery in Brattleboro. My epitaph was shot. So was my drive to bake bread while raising two young children. I no longer had to! One day while there, I had a funny feeling I’d seen the gal waiting on me before. It didn’t take long to realize we had gone to grade school/high school together in upstate NY! Small world.

Fast forward: have been living in Boulder, CO since 1994. As a teacher, I have time in the summer to follow inspirations, and I was hit with the sourdough bread bug. Researching online, I discovered starter from Ischia, Italy. What!!! I lived there as a child on this small island for half a year. I even took my husband there, and we went to my old house. Who’d have known they had their own sourdough starter! Small world. So of course I ordered some.

I found a recipe on a good website, and once I gave birth to Luigi, my vigorous sourdough, I launched my first bread in years. But frisky as Luigi is, I wasn’t patient enough, and could have donated my first loaf to a discus thrower. I read some more, and landed on this page. My first loaf – about 4 hours from baking, (but we’ll see)…looks very promising. As I was reading down the list of authors, I saw – what? Jeffrey Hamelman? Could it be…MUST be. I read his bio on the KA site, and yes, it IS! Small world! And bread karma makes that world go round. My new motto/epitaph: Life is too short to eat bad bread. Cheers to all you bread people, and especially to Jeff Hamelman who has NO idea who I am :-)

Regardless of whether or not Jeffrey knows you, this is a fantastic story! In terms of mastering sourdough, it really comes from trial and error/success! If you ever happen to come back to Vermont, you should certainly stop by and see if Jeffrey is in–I’m sure he’d love to hear this right from you. Final note: the more you bake, the more adept you will become at creating wild yeast breads. Practice makes better, not necessarily perfect! Let the wild (yeast) rumpus start!! Happy Baking, Kim@KAF

35. SonitaClaire

Have tried this recipe twice. Followed recipe as best I can. both times no oven spring. My bread is as flat as a ciabatta (may be even flatter). The taste and texture were great, though. My dough was rather wet. Could this be the problem? Should I bake it in a dutch oven/ clay pot? Would that help? Any thoughts?

It’s probably a shaping thing…..for best advice – call our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253 or check the Baker’s Companion cookbook on page 281 for “shaping boules”. You can shape ovals or rounds and they should spring up fine both in the shaped rise and in the oven. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

36. LisaB

My loafs are on their 2nd rise, but I’m just not real confident about them. Sour dough is very different than regular yeast baking…and I’m just not confident in reading the signs. My starter was very vigorous, bubbly and tangy smelling. When I put the dough in the fridge last night for the overnight rise, I was on top of the world. It looked just like the pictures this morning. And there’s where I started questioning myself. Mix in all 2 cups of flour at one time? In the stand mixer or with a spoon. Look at the video again. Not the same recipe. Put it in the mixer with hook. Knead. It was no where as loose as the pics! But it did spring back like the video said, even if it was really stiff. I let it rise for 3hrs….it did puff up, so I divided and shaped. It’s still a very firm dough….not at all soft like the pictures. We’ll see later after this final rise and baking, but something tells me I’m going to have a nice tangy,heavy, pack-ey two loafs of bread.:((

Lisa: yeast bread recipes should always be taken with a grain of salt (no pun intended): you should always feel free to adjust a dough by adding a bit of flour or water to get the right texture. NEVER assume that the way a recipe is written is exactly how it will perform when it comes to bread. There are simply too many factors that can get in the way: humidity, temperature, air pressure, altitude, etc. Even the way you measure flour one day can vary the next. If you noticed the dough was too stiff and not looking like the pictures, you have freedom to add some water (2-3 Tbs to start) to get the dough to the right texture. At this point, you might do best to use that dough to make some buttery sourdough rolls OR some cheesy rolls with the dough Best, Kim@KAF

37. terri

I made this bread yesterday and have, what appears to be two very pretty, but very dense, loaves of bread. They didn’t appear to rise much after I shaped them… maybe not at all. Question – between the second rise and the shaping, should I have punched down the dough at all? I simply cut the dough in two and shaped.

Great questions, sourdough baker! With sourdough it’s sometimes best to fold (in thirds like a business letter) instead of knead. Shaping the bread is also important. There are some great tips on the video page of our website (Baking Skills, Sourdough Bread: shaping and baking the bread). Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

38. DailyBread

Thank you for an excellent recipe! This bread turned out beautifully despite a number of first-timer mishaps along the way. (First starter from scratch, first sourdough, first overnight rise…)

I used the maximum given rising time for each stage, and put the rising dough in a lightly warmed oven (set to WARM 5 seconds, then off, prior to using). Sometime I’d like to try this with honey, molasses, or maple syrup as yeast food instead of white sugar.

Kudos to you on your inaugural sourdough experience! I hope you have many more enjoyable journeys. Substitute any sweetener you like – all are fine. Enjoy – PJH

Tom, thank YOU for choosing to invite us into your kitchen and (virtually) stand beside you as you bake. There’s no “just” in being a home baker; creating something using your hands and heart, then sharing with others, is truly a gift. Enjoy – PJH

39. Anu Nigam

I bought the Artisan bread baking crock and Dutch oven from your website and would like to use it for this recipe. Could you please tell me how?- as in when to keep the lid on and when to take it off?also, will the temp and time for baking vary?
    Looking forward to hearing from you and using my bread baking crock!
    Thanks!

You can create that brick oven effect by baking in a covered baker – use the recipe temp. and time as a guideline. Keep the lid on for the baker – and remove the last 10 minutes to brown the top of the bread. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

40. Judy Testa

Can you bake bread dough that is already been shaped in a loaf and frozen, and only half thawed and have it turn out well?

Lots of variables in that question, Judy. Depends on your definition of “turn out well:” how slack the dough was; how it was wrapped and frozen; how hot your oven is… I’d say give it a try, recording what you do. If it’s good, then simply put a check mark next to your data; if it’s not, write down what was wrong, and see if you can correct it next time. Good luck – PJH

41. Cliff

I’ve made this recipe several times in the past and have gotten so so results…..never truly satisfied with the end result……until today. I watched your instructional videos again and realized I was “scooping the flour” as opposed to gently filling the measuring cup and leveling as you recommend. My previous doughs were very dry and I could never figure out why……until I learned how to properly measure the flour. The bread I made today is perfect….looks and tastes like bread from a professional bakery! Thank you!!!

42. Jolly

So what would the cooking instructions for using a dutch oven for this bread. Would you put the bread in a dutch oven for the final rise and then put them in a hot oven or would you place the dutch oven in the oven while its preheating and then place the bread in a hot dutch oven? Would the cooking times vary and do you remove the lid at a certain time? Thanks

Jolly, some like to preheat their Dutch oven or crock before adding the risen dough, but we find it less troublesome to start our crock bread in a cold oven; less chance of it deflating, and we really don’t see any difference in outcome. Follow the instructions for this recipe, as far as when to remove the cover. Good luck – PJH

Absolutely! I tend to suggest to add 1-2 tsp of extra water per cup of bread flour. Jon@KAF

43. Carolyn

This is my go-to recipe for sourdough bread. The flavour is second to none. I struggle with the rising and baking schedule and wondering if you have any suggestions. I would like to bake my bread mid-morning, so it can be served at lunch. In order to do that, it means I have to get up in the middle of the night to start the day 2 process. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Carolyn, I’d say your best bet is to shape the loaves, and let them rise in the fridge overnight, rather than for several hours at room temperature. Next day, take them out of the fridge as soon as you get up (preferably by 7 a.m. or so), and let them warm to room temperature, plus rise any more, if they need to. Then you should be able to bake them mid-morning for lunch. Enjoy! PJH

44. Katrina Hardeman

I’ve read through the responses, and decided to share a bit of “help”.
    I made this recipe a few times and was having issues with the dough not doing a whole lot of rising, and producing rather small and dense loaves. I tried using this on a regular cookie sheet, with a loaf pan, different sizes, letting it have more rising time, less proofing time, more kneading, less kneading, etc. It was getting frustrating to say the least, as I wanted to share it with my in-laws and was too embarrassed to do so. I still ate it, and it’s delicious, it just wasn’t the right texture/crumb etc…
    Then I recalled my grandmother’s way of baking sourdough bread. She always put the sugar in with the the starter and first few cups of flour and the salt in the second second “flouring”. Her reasoning back then was: “You’ll always catch more flies with honey than with salt”. I never understood what she meant by that when it came to bread making. Social graces yeah I understood, but, with bread? So, I tried putting the sugar in with the starter and first bit of flour, and voila! It works really well, IMHO.
    Hope this helps those who say they “tried it all”. Never give up, there’s always a way to make your starter earn it’s keep in your pantry. :)

I’m glad to hear your found a method that works for you! Also, a big help to achieve a more open crumb is to have a dough that has a higher hydration. Jon@KAF

45. Susan

I just got some new starter from a friend (after killing my through neglect) and pulled out my 25-year-old KAF sourdough recipe. I’m now looking for some different recipes on your website but was interested to see that this recipe is almost the same as my old one. The old recipe calls for a 12-24 hour first fermentation, slightly more salt, and a hotter oven but it sure makes some good bread. I make the loaves in a baguette pan because I’m not so fond of the free-form flattened ones. Mine never seem to puff up so much in the oven

46. Matt

I must say my sourdough experience has been quite the journey. It started (no pun intended) just a few short weeks ago when I began my own starter (thanks to PJH’s great blog post). Being my first time having anything to do with sourdough the first few days were terrifying (“Ewww, why does it smell like THAT?”) but eventually after about 8 days the starter was doing quite well. It smelled wonderfully yeasty to boot. When it came time to make this bread I, stubbornly, tried to work it into a weekday schedule I was so excited! I made the overnight starter late last night, and all seemed great. This afternoon I added the flour (I added KAF Unbleached Bread Flour instead of AP for the second flouring), salt, and sugar and was ready to knead. It was quite stiff, probably because of the bread flour, so I added some water after trying desperately to get it to work out the way it was. The water helped but made the dough seem very sticky, despite it looking stiffer still than the photos. I left the dough as it was and didn’t add any more water. I left it to rest in the bowl for about 3 hours and saw a modest at best rise or “puffiness”. Being impatient as I am, I turned the dough out onto parchment and shaped it into one long, rather large loaf (it didn’t seem like that much dough to me, until it spread). When the shaped proofing came around I was quite worried to see almost no vertical rise. The dough spread out significantly but never rose above maybe 1.5″. I stuck it in the 425 oven anyways and BAM! Oven spring galore! I was amazed to see the loaf pop up to a reasonable size. It’s still in the oven right now, and is browning beautifully. I may update later. Thanks for the amazing recipe! Even me, the beginner, can bake sourdough!

Wow, Matt, I was reading this with some trepidation, hoping the story would have a happy ending. Sounds like it did! Yes, sourdough often has incredible oven spring; I’ve put many a flat, sad-looking loaf into the oven, only to see it blow up like a balloon within 10 minutes or so. I hope your bread is as delicious as it no doubt looks. Thanks for sharing here, and best of luck as you continue down the sourdough path. PJH

47. Nancy

I love the Pain Au Levain recipe in the KAF book and have been making this bread, using starter from another KAF recipe that has matured nicely, for quite a few months now. It is such a tasty bread and I find it satisfying making bread using only flour, starter, salt and water. NO SUGAR!

Anyway I am curious about bubbles in my dough. I fold the dough after an hour, then let rise again an hour before shaping, and I am starting to get large bubbles. I kind of think this is a good thing, but I wonder! I can see them on the surface of my shaped boules and I’ve been popping them…. what do you think??

thanks for the wonderful bread and your support – Nancy

1. Amy Trage

Be sure to gently de-gass the dough before shaping to avoid these larger bubbles on your shaped boule. ~Amy

48. Carol Vlasz

I have a question, how wide is the King Arthur flour sour dough starter crock. I can’t find the width anywhere on line or in catalog, it only gives height and how much it holds. I would like to order one but need to know the height.

Carol Vlasz

49. Cynthia

I really want to send you a picture of this sourdough baked in long cloche with top on
    How do I do this? The picture is on my iPhone. . I will try to send it to this web address. It is spectacularly tall!!

50. CHADBOURNE

I have got the sour dough rustic bread recipe down. I use my KA to do the mixing and kneading using the dough hook only. I am looking at the extra tangy now because I just can’t get enough of the sour dough flavor and thought this would be the next recipe. Odd note: a cup of fed starter in the Rustic Recipe is 8 oz when you set it to oz measure but is 8.5 oz in the Tangy recipe. I have been using 8.5 in the Rustic as well and with great success (for our house bread). I have been using the KAF “Brotform” and “Dough Hammock” for lack of a better term again with great success. I have been using the Emile Henry Cloche (again from KAF) and it has been 1 recipe of dough for one loaf. Aside from playing with temperature, baking time, and “remove the lid for finish” I have stopped playing with this recipe.

Now, the extra tangy uses a touch less salt and no yeast. Except for technique timing and “reading the rises” are there any other “surpises” to be watched out for? Still ok for a single loaf raised in a brotform and cooked in the cloche?

thanks for all you offer to this community.

richard

I’m glad you enjoyed our rustic sourdough and the extra tangy should hopefully work out just as well for you using the same method. There shouldn’t be any surprises, and the removal of the yeast as you took diligent notice of will allow all the rise to come from the starter culture, which can take longer to complete the rise and therefore result in a “tangier” loaf due to the longer period of fermentation. I hope the new loaf goes well for you and let us know how it turns out! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

51. CHADBOURNE

Sort of successful but I’m back with a couple of questions.
    1. On the first round with my sponge, My last feed of my starter had only been a couple of days, so, I used 8.5 oz of 2 day unfed starter. In the 4 hour rest at room temp before the refrigerator the sponge tripled. In the next 12 hours in fridge, it really didn’t do much more, but, didn’t deflate either. (OK?)

2. Next morning added flour, salt, sugar, kneaded it 8 min with the KA and again put it to rest for the 4 hours. Again, this went to almost to triple during the rise. Should I have taken this dough under control at the “doubled” size and proceeded to the final rise rather that waiting the 4 hours?

3. I took my tripled dough and folded it to collapse it a bit and then tucked and formed it into a single loaf and dropped it into my brotform. for the final 4 hour rise. My monster climbed out of the KAF brotform by about 3 inches and looked sort of like a big mushroom. I am guessing that I should have reigned this in, but, I wanted the full sour dough experience.

4. I floured my cloche and dropped the monster in the center and with floured hands again tucked and formed it into a boule shape and deliberately degassed it more that a little to get it under the bell. I put the cold cloche it into a 450 degrees oven for 40 minutes, then uncovered the cloche for 5 minutes. I was still a little shy of 190 so I gave it another 5 minutes and pulled the whole thing at about 199 (thermopen).

My loaf had a really chewy texture and the crust was brown not burned. Now, you really need to use your teeth to eat this bread. It is moist, it is chewy, and not like jerkey, but, it is significantly tough if that is a word. My wife and I agree that it is good, but, not like anything we have made so far. Slices perfectly, makes a great sandwich, and toasted it is mindful of an English muffin in texture.

The color of the bread itself is a browner color that the Rustic with the yeast which is I pretty white dough. I am guessing that the color (like a 20% whole wheat loaf) is due to the fermentation. Fascinating and delicious with butter.

Please give me your opinion. Should I just let it run like this or should I start shortening the rise times to when the dough has doubled. This was fascinating. Should I have split it after the final rise or just gone with a sheet pan rather that degassing it and getting it to fit under the cloche.

I know this is long, but, I am going to start this again later in the week because this loaf is being eaten at an alarming rate.

thanks rch

If your bread is “fascinating and delicious”, it sounds like you are doing everything just right – even if you have taken the recipe and changed it, made it your own. ~Jaydl@KAF

52. Shelby

I apologize if this has been asked before but I’ve looked on the site and not quite found an answer. I’m fairly new to baking sourdough, and I’m not sure what it means when the recipe calls for “fed” starter. My starter is nice and active now, I’ve been following the article on maintaining my sourdough starter. I have been keeping in it the fridge Sunday-Thursday, taking it out Thursday night and then feeding every 12 hours through the weekend (I only have time to bake on the weekends). So at what point in the cycle of feeding it every 12 hours is it considered “fed”? Immediately after feeding it? Or should I let the “yeasts” work for at least a few hours after feeding it? Or is it “fed” all the way up until the next feeding time 12 hours later?

1. Susan Reid

“Fed”, for the purposes of recipes, means moving and active, with that hypnotic, slow-motion bubbling going on. Susan

2. Jason

Love the blog. I am a professional baker, and this one threw me for a loop as well. In my circle we use the term “Active”, when referring to a starter that is alive and well. Just a thought to try to reduce confusion. Again, so glad to see good folks like you helping so many home bakers learn the joys of baking. There is nothing like homemade bread, especially sourdough.

53. CHADBOURNE

I feed it per KAF with 4+4+4 oz – Starter, flour, water. I mix it in a clear pyrex bowl and leave it on the counter. I have used it in as little as 4 hours as long as it has at least doubled. I have also used my starter at the 12 hour end of the feed when I am trying to get the max sour dough flavor out of it.

54. LauraG

I’ve been baking sourdough bread for a few years now, and have success now that I’m using a bread proofer. I live in a cold climate, and had disasters with rising. I LOVE that nice gadget!

55. Nehal

Thank you for the wonderful post with easy to follow steps for making sourdough bread. I baked the bread last night following your recipe very closely, but the bread came out a bit dense. No big holes:(. Can you provide some insight on what might have happened? The dough did double in size both time when I left it to rise. I kneaded the dough with hands for a good 10 minutes and left it to rise. It doubled in size in 4 hours. Then, I gently deflated it and shaped it and let it rise again (in my bread loaf pan). Again, it took 4 hours, and it double in size. The only thing I did differently was that I used a bread loaf pan, instead of a flat baking tray for baking the bread. I did this because, I had halved the recipe because I was trying it for the first time, and didn’t want to make 2 loaves.
    Please let me know what I can do differently next time, to get big holes(like the ones you have shown in pictures) and not very dense bread next time.

How wet is your dough? The stiffer the dough is, the less likely you are to have big holes, and the slower the dough will rise. 4 hours to double hints that the dough may be on the dry side. Try leaving 1/2 cup of the flour you used last time out of the recipe next time, and see if it a) rises faster and b) has larger holes. Susan

1. Nehal

Thank you Susan. I think my dough wasn’t as wet as your’s. I will try to use less dough next time and post here with my new result.
      Nehal

56. Cindy

I made my starter (it took 9 days) then I made this recipe….it was AWESOME!!! My kids didn’t like it much (they have never had sourdough and they are only 13 and 12, its an acquired taste I guess)….I had a few issues with it….1. I added the 5 c. flour (as stated in the recipe, used 3 c. AP and 2 c. bread flour)…and only 1.5 c water….which was the minimum. The dough was sooo sticky and hard to knead. How ‘sticky’ is the dough supposed to be? 2. I forgot to spritz it with water. 3. I forgot the slices in the top. and 4. I used my casserole dish because I was afraid it was going to expand off the cookie sheet too much (I made it into a boule) ….and it stuck like cement to the bottom of it, so technically I only got half a loaf outta the whole thing….flavor-wise my starter ROCKS!! I will try this recipe again. I really just want to know if I should add more flour if I am having to pull dough off my hands when I knead it, ya know what I mean (it was basically swallowing my hands!)…Thanks for all the helpful advice! :-)

Hi Cindy, a trick you may find very useful is to mix the ingredients just until the flour is moistened, and then to cover the bowl and let the dough rest for a half hour. After the rest period, return to the dough for kneading. The dough will still stick to your hands a bit – certainly at the start – but the dough will have absorbed some of the liquid during that rest period and it will be much easier to handle. I like to keep a dough scraper nearby when kneading. You can scrape the dough from your hands easily that way. By the end of the kneading period, the dough should be tacky, but much easier to handle.~Jaydl@KAF

57. Jayne

I’ve tried this recipe several times, with mixed results. I find the dough gets too sticky to handle and the last time the bread didn’t rise at all, but just spread out all over the pan. Thoughts?

58. Valerie Cranmer

I never slash my loaves because they deflate and stay that way. For the most part, they rise beautifully both times before baking. I bake in either a cast iron Dutch oven or a stoneware bread pan. After reading some of the comments I’m starting to think that my oven might not be quite hot enough (425F). Comments/observations would be appreciated! Thank you.

That may be part of the problem, but it sounds like your loaves are a bit over proofed. It is generally best to not allow your dough to rise a huge amount during the last rise, maybe 1.5 in bulk. This way, when you score your bread it will not deflate as much and it will have more oven spring. Jon@KAF

59. Cindy

ok, I have another question. I have some friends that live in NC….Can this bread be MAILED, would it survive the trip? If so, how would I do that? any special packaging (like for example I have a food saver machine I could vacuum pack it but I would be afraid it would get squished). I know it would take a day or 2 to get to its destination unless I went with next day….would I HAVE to send it next day mail?? (I would rather not send it that way….more money than I have…but if I must I would).

Cindy, sourdough bread travels better than most yeast loaves. Wrap it airtight; then my advice would be to mail it USPS Priority Mail, which will probably cost you $12.95. If that’s too much, go with regular mail, and I’m betting it would survive a 3-4 day trip just fine. Reheating the bread just before serving (e.g., toasting it slightly) will help refresh it. Good luck – PJH

60. Ann H

I got distracted last night and left the dough mixture out rather than putting it in the refrigerator. When I checked it this morning, it had clearly risen very high, and then fallen, I assume in some kind of yeasty frenzy. So…. I put it in the fridge while at church, then took it out, added the remaining ingredients plus YEAST, thinking that it probably had depleted its supply. I will see how this works out, but is my logic sound? I also had to add extra flour as it was very sticky….. thanks!!!

Ann, it probably would have recovered without the yeast, but adding it definitely didn’t hurt. Adding extra flour might make your loaf denser/drier; the best-rising doughs are sticky. Without knowing the exact appearance of “very sticky,” I can’t tell you whether you did the right thing, adding more flour. But – the proof is in the pudding (er, bread). So hopefully it turns out just fine. Enjoy – PJH

61. Ann H

Thanks PJ! I have made this bread (correctly :) ) many times, and this time it seemed much stickier. not sure why — but I am glad to know that it probably won’t be a total loss!

62. Shiho

I’m a regular baker so I felt confident enough to try sourdough even though it was my very first bread making attempt. The instructions for this recipe, along with one for creating your own starter was extremely straightforward and easy to follow. The advise about this being more of an art than a science was one I kept in mind and as a result did not add all the flour as the dough didn’t seem to require it. I baked half the dough in a loaf pan and the other rolled out into a baguette. Bread turned out great and am seriously thinking from now on to make my own bread weekly because of this recipe. The sourdough starter should continue to age and hopefully motivate me to keep up the effort weekly. Thank you!

I’m so happy to hear of your success, Shiho! Keep it up and you will be a bread baking master in no-time. Jon@KAF

63. Kim

My starter is pretty new- I’ve been keeping it in the fridge for about 2 weeks now (3 weeks old in all); I have made the Rustic Sourdough Bread and it came out great, but I am looking for a stronger flavor. So my question is, do you think my starter is old and vigorous enough to make this bread, or should I let it age more?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi Kim-
      You can use your starter as long as it has gotten active and bubbly, but you do want to make sure you are feeding it at least once, but preferably twice a week and certainly before you use it. If you are looking for a tangier loaf, you can allow your bread to do its rises in the refrigerator and that will help to promote a fermentation that will produce “tangy” acids. I would also recommend giving this recipe a try: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/extra-tangy-sourdough-bread-recipe. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

64. Jamie

I baked it on the parchment paper and the dough stuck to it. It would work better to bake it in my Dutch oven.

Jamie, sorry the parchment stuck – I’ve never had that happen. But since you’re happy with how your Dutch oven works, stick with it! Good luck – PJH

65. Kim

I tried this recipe today but my it came out pretty flat. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong? Also, I’m always a little confused with rising times because my dough always tends to rise a lot faster then the recipe suggests. Is there a specific way to tell when the dough is ready after the first and second rise? Thanks!

This bread dough will nearly double during its rises. Please give our Hotline (855 371 2253) a call for help troubleshooting. We will be much better able to offer ideas about your flat loaf with a little more information about your dough’s feel, your kitchen’s temperature, your methods, etc.~Jaydl@KAF

66. dbg100

Hi,
    I’ve made this recipe once, it come out pretty good. Now I’m on my second try.

I was wondering whether you can provide a little more guidance as to what to look for during the 2 to 5 hour rise to determine that it’s ready to shape into loaves. The recipe says it becomes relaxed and expanded but maybe a bit puffy.

Also, in some recipes that have a long rise time, the instructions were to fold into thirds every hour to expel any gas – is that needed here ?

Last question, any other indicators for determining when the loaves are ready to bake, again there’s a 2 to 4 our window with guidance for them to become very puffy.

I’m used to instructions such as “doubles in volume,” here it seems a little different. By the way I used the max on my first try, the loaves came out pretty good, though a little denser than I expected.

Thanks for your help !
    David

Hello David,

I feel like we will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly if you called our Baker’s Hotline. We can troubleshoot all of your questions and more over the phone. Our number is 855 371 2253, we hope to hear from you soon. Jon@KAF

67. Patricia

I made Extra Tangy Sourdough bread a few times, the final crumbs gets better every time but my dough is always too sticky to handle.
    Today I tried again. After removing the overnight dough from the fridge, I left it at room temp for 3 hours before adding the flour to make the final dough. Should I have mixed it immediately from the fridge?
    After mixing the flour and knead the dough is very stretchy and sticky which I think is good,
    I let it rest for 30 mins, gave it a fold, let it rest again for another 30 mins before 2nd fold and then left it to rise for 90 mins to double before dividing.
    The divided dough was very soft and real difficult to shape. What is it that I am not doing right?
    It was just not possible to make a good slit on the dough before baking as dough was so soft and the slit disappeared almost immediately after I made it. Why is this?
    During baking the bread took it shape very well although I would have prefer it to be higher than bigger in diameter.
    The crumb is good but overall I think I can do better but not sure how and what.
    My husband and I love this sourdough and as said so far it has been good but I am sure it can be better and easy to shape.
    Thanks for helping
    Patricia

Hi Patricia, that your dough is soft and stretchy when you finish kneading does sound like a good sign. Did the dough gain in body and strength with each fold? At the time of shaping, the dough should still be tacky, but easier to handle than when you first finished kneading it. You might find that giving the dough a little preshape after you divide it and before you shape it will help. We have a short video of Jeffrey Hamelman dividing and preshaping dough:http://www.kingarthurflour.com/videos/techniques-for-the-professional-baker-3-dividing-shaping. Take care, Jaydl@KAF

68. Brinn Clayton

I have tried this recipe 3 times. The first time was good. Though the crust was not thick like I have had at other places.
    The second time it bubbled but did not rise. It flattened out on the cook pan. I was serving it for a family dinner. After it cooked and painted it with olive oil, sprinkled it with parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper. We dipped it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was great, but I don’t know who I did it.
    The third time was this past weekend. It was good, but did not rise well. I cooked it in bread pans because I was afraid it may spread again.
    I have been working with sourdough starter for over a year. I’m not getting much consistency in the outcome. Any suggestions? Any articles I could read?

You’re using a fed sourdough starter to make your bread…..so that will help – along with some shaping details. Here’s a link to a great series of videos about the sourdough – I’ve linked you to shaping here but it may be helpful to look at the other videos that start with the title “sourdough bread”: Happy Sourdough Baking! Irene@KAF

69. Charlotte

I’ve been making this recipe for 2 years now, using Butterworks Farm flour. It’s stone-ground, very hearty wheat flour. My family like the bread a lot, and I love the simplicity of sourdough! Instead of kneading, I give it a “stretch and fold” treatment, and it really rises quickly.

Today, just for kicks, I made it with your white flour. I wanted a light, fluffy loaf for company. It’s like a totally different bread (of course!), and behaved just as the recipe describes. I usually feel that the dough is too dense, and have thought about adding more water. Maybe this is silly of me to not realize for so long, but do I need more water for a whole wheat loaf? Once, when I had store-bought whole wheat (not fresh or stone ground, hardly any bran compared to Butterworks) the dough was more springy and light like this AP flour one. Now I wonder if there’s a certain way to make this type of loaf with my flour.

You’re correct in your assumption, Charlotte. Whole wheat flour absorbs more water in comparison to white flour. As such, we suggest to add about 1 tablespoon of water per cup of whole wheat you are substituting. Jon@KAF

2. Charlotte

Thank you! I tried it with the extra water, and that little bit really did make a difference. We were fine with the bread before, but this loaf was better!

70. Melinda

In the Extra Tangy Sourdough Recipe, it calls for 1 cup of starter — is that by volume and, if so, liquid or dry? I notice it also says 8 oz. elsewhere — again, does starter count as a liquid or is this a weight measurement? Thanks!

Melinda, a cup is a cup, liquid or dry; dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups are different only in that the liquid cup includes some extra real estate (breathing space) around the top, to prevent spillage. Sourdough starter weighs about 8 to 8 1/2 ounces per cup – and yes, you can call it a liquid if it helps you conceptualize the whole thing. Good luck with your bread! PJH

71. Ashley

I have never been able to make bread–any homemade bread–before this recipe. I’ve utterly failed with getting anything to rise, using packaged yeast or not. This recipe and its starter, followed to a T with a couple of weeks of patience, worked out perfectly. Perfect crust, big holes, tangy taste. I couldn’t believe it. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom about all things sourdough (I’ve come to love my little yeasty babies!) and for making yourselves available by phone to answer my many questions! I feel like I finally have some control over the dough and love having a little taste of San Francisco in my SC kitchen!

1. Susan Reid

Congratulations, Ashley, and good for you for sticking with it! Any new skill is that much more valuable when you work to acquire it. We’re sure you’ll be delighting all your friends and family with your bread! Susan

72. Gayle

Thanks, and sorry if someone else already asked this–I can’t do a word search on this ipad!

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Gayle,
      You could use some extra dry yeast with the recipe. Your rises will be faster with the added yeast, compared to this classic starter-only version. ~ MJ

73. Gayle

Two questions: Why not use yeast in this extra tangy sourdough recipe? Does it cancel out with the acetic acid? And are the slits necessary or just for looks?
    Thanks, and sorry if someone else already asked this.

You certainly may use some yeast but the idea is to produce a bread that is leavened by the starter only. Slashing helps the bread to expand as it does its last rise (oven spring) just as it goes into the oven. Looks great too! Elisabeth@KAF

74. Ann H

I have made this recipe many times but this time I have timed it badly – it only sat out for about an hour last night before I put it in the fridge before going to bed. I took it out late morning today but am realizing that I may not get it made before going out this afternoon. Can I just pop it back it the fridge and make it tomorrow? I would think so…. it hasn’t risen very much, though.

Hello Ann-
      If you keep your dough refrigerated, it will help to hold it somewhat, but you are really stretching this recipe out if you are not going to bake it off until morning. What you may find, is that your dough has exhausted a good deal of its rising power and may not leave you with as nice a rise in the oven as you are use to. I would certainly keep it refrigerated for the full holding time, and the sooner you can get to baking it off, the nicer the final product will be I think. I hope that helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to call our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253. Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

Sure, Ann, no Baking Police here! Do whatever you like to make the loaf that satisfies YOU. Enjoy – PJH

75. Diane D

Thought I’d let you know that this bread, in addition to being delicious, is very forgiving. I started my starter about a year ago and usually bake the Rustic bread recipe with some added sour salt. Yesterday I left my discarded starter in a bowl on my counter (I always feed the discard in case I want to use it that day). It was bubbly and aromatic by evening, so I decided to go for the Classic recipe for the first time. It was too late to give it a full 4 hours at room temp so refrigerated after 2 hours. It almost doubled in 12 hours. After adding the remaining ingredients and kneading, I had a meeting to attend so it sat on the counter for almost 4 hours and was fully doubled when I returned and shaped it. After a 2 1/4 hours rise the loaves were puffy. They did flatten somewhat when I made the slits, more than the Rustic dough does, but I could see they were making a nice oven rise. Here’s where I made my big mistake. The timer was set and I went downstairs to work in my home office. I told myself to turn off the radio so I could hear the timer. Suddenly I realized I hadn’t done that and ran upstairs, hearing the buzzer going. I don’t know how much longer than 25 minutes they baked but when I took them out the internal temp was over 200 degrees and the crust felt very hard. I was sure I had ruined them after all of hours of babying the dough! Let me tell you, they are as close to perfect as I could imagine. Beautiful crumb, soft, moist and chewy inside with nice holes and heavenly fragrance. Thanks for such a great recipe and next time I will follow it more exactly, although I can’t imagine getting better results!
    PS. I added an additional 2 Tbsp of flour, just enough to make it not quite so sticky to handle.

Lori, I’d say the baking time would be roughly the same. I don’t generally bake crusty loaves in a pan (since being in the pan means their sides will steam rather than become crisp), but the time/temperature seems like it would work. Just keep your eye on them, as you may need to tent their tops with aluminum foil towards the end, especially if they’re not baked through after 30 minutes. Good luck – PJH

76. Jennifer

Hi! I’ve been baking bread since I was a kid but only branched out into sourdough the last couple weeks…I bought some starter from your store, made a couple Rustic loaves that were gone nearly overnight, then tried the Pain as Levain recipe from the cookbook. It turned out amazing and I’m going to make another batch today. I’m wondering if there’s a way to make more of a sandwich loaf shape somehow, rather than a boule or large loaf, without adding instant yeast? There’s a recipe in one of the cookbooks for a sandwich loaf, but it calls for extra yeast. I’m on a special diet for a while where I’m trying to avoid yeast, but wild yeast in sourdough is fine. Thanks for your help!

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Jennifer. Sandwich loaves are largely a matter of shaping. I’ve baked plenty of sourdough in a loaf pan and the world didn’t come to an end :-). As a rough guide, if the recipe is using 3 cups of flour, you can bake it in an 8 1/2″ x 4″ loaf pan. 3 1/2 to 4 cups, go to a 9″ x 5″ pan. Hope this helps. Susan

77. "Baker Boy Jack"

Brand new to baking and went right for this recipe to try and approach my memories of San Francisco sourdough! I have made this 4 times to date, slightly varying the type and ratio of flours ( AP & First Clear) as well as the wetness of the starter and the dough.
    I have extended the refrigerator rising time to 18 + hours to see if I could get more acetic acid forming and hence a more “assertive” sour! No citric acid for me thanks!
    Results: All 4 batches were excellent with a bit of variation on rise and sourness and crumb structure!
    So far what seems to work for me is: a wetter starter, a 2/3 flour ratio of FC & AP with a wetter mix – used 2c FC and 1c AP on first 4 hr rise and 18 hr fridge rise, then 2c AP on 2nd rise, shaping loaves is critical (watched KAF video several times!) and letting the loaves cool before eating…. very tough to do!
    Thank you King Arthur, I pledge my fealty to the baking quest!!

78. Dave

Hi! Getting ready to try this recipe for the first time in my new home – about 7600 feet higher than my last kitchen… Wondered what surprises I might be in for – are there any hints for doing the sourdough at altitude? Thank you for your time and advice!

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Dave. The altitude baking I’ve done has taught me a couple of general things to keep in mind. You’ll likely have to use up to an ounce more water than flour when feeding your starter, because the air is so dry at your altitude. Consider, for your dough, using bread flour instead of all purpose. The bakers I talked to in Colorado at 8,000 and above all swore by it. Increase the oven temperature for the recipe by 25°, and decrease your baking time. Consider doing the second rise for the bread in the refrigerator; it will slow things down and give you better flavor. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! Susan

79. Shannon

I really appreciate your recipes/tutorials for sourdough! I tried making my own starter for the first time, and the bread turned out great! Do you have any suggestions for getting a finer crumb? My kids like to use it for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but they don’t like sticky fingers. Can I knead it more after the bulk fermentation (right before shaping the loaf?

Since we encourage people to use a wet dough to make larger holes, let’s use the reverse. Use slightly less water in the recipe to make a dough that is a bit more firm. You can also strongly press and fold the dough as your shape it, which will aid in creating a more even, fine crumb. Other things that create a finer crumb would be oil or butter, or milk powder. You may want to play with those ingredients until you reach your dream loaf. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

80. Kathy Maxwell

I’ve been using my starter for over 20 years. It’s still very active and healthy. I refresh it every few weeks, because I make bread every two weeks. The last two batches have been disappointing. They lack the flavor and tang that the bread usually has. Suggestions?

Kathy, it’s really difficult to diagnose a problem like this that seems so random. I think it would be best for you to call our hotline, 855-371-BAKE (2253). A back-and-forth dialogue may get to the bottom of this. PJH

81. Julie

I’m currently making this recipe and it’s the first time I’ve ever made sourdough bread. A friend gave me some of his starter. I’ve used it for waffles (mmmmmm..) and now finally, bread! After kneading, the dough was very sticky.. so sticky that it was sticking to my hands. I thought I should knead it some more, but didn’t since otherwise, it looked ok. Is that the reason for the stickiness? When I shaped the loaves, my hands were covered in dough. I’m new to bread baking, so I didn’t want to start adding more flour or kneading longer, since I’m still inexperienced. I wanted to have some sort of baseline to work with for next time. They are currently rising. I hope they turn out well!! I’m excited!

Even though you are a self-proclaimed beginner bread-maker, it sounds like your baking instincts are right on track–the dough should be slightly tacky but not stick-to-your-fingers sticky. Some sourdough starters are more “loose” due to their feeding ratios, so you may need to compensate for this when using it in a recipe by adding extra flour, one tablespoon at a time. Don’t be afraid to work with the dough until it reaches the proper consistency (should feel soft and tender and feel almost like a post-it note being pulled off the tips of your fingers when the dough has come together). You’re right that over-working the dough can lead to bread that is more tough, but you have to exceed 10 minutes of kneading for this to become a real problem with most sourdough recipes. See how your first round of bread comes out and then make some adjustments next time to see which techniques give you the loaf you are looking for. Good luck and happy baking! –Kye@KAF

82. D Zavarise

About to start on my first rustic sourdough recipe. The starter has been refrigerated for about a week. You mentioned to make sure the starter is “fed and vigorous” before using. My question is how soon after feeding can I use the starter? Is the intent to feed it and then use it immediately? Typically my starter does not appear very active immediately after feeding. Your help is appreciated.
    Dean

Hello Dean – If you are feeding your starter regularly (once a week) you still may need to feed the starter 2-3 times before seeing any vigorous activity. It should be bubbly and be rising up in its container anywhere from 2-12 hours from the last time of feeding. It is important to keep the starter at room temperature during this prepping process before baking. Try to grab the fed starter for baking when it has risen to its highest point in the container. It should have a wonderful sour aroma at this point also! Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

83. cphair

I finally decided to make sourdough bread, I’ve had KAF starter for over a year…Friday I gave it some TLC and then on Saturday I made the dough let it set out for 5 hours then put it in the fridge overnight. Sunday I added the rest of the flour, and finished the recipe instructions. Honestly I wasn’t sure how it was going to come out, it was very sticky and difficult to knead, but I persevered. I could NOT believe how gorgeous they came out! Thanks for the great step by step!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Congrats to you! We can show you how, but the real magic is right in your kitchen. :) ~ MJ

84. Ann H

Hi. I followed your tip (I think it was PJ’s tip for rye bread?) about substituting 8 ounces of sourdough discard for 4 ounces water/4 ounces flour in a non-sourdough recipe, and it worked great. Is there any reason why I cannot do this same swap in this recipe, at the point when the flour and water are added in? Thanks!

Ann, the Extra-Tangy Sourdough recipe relies on the yeast activity of a fed starter in order to get a nice rise and texture to your bread. We don’t recommend adding an additional cup of discard to this recipe as it may disturb the fermenting action of the wild yeast in the fed starter. You can however, add 8 ounces of sourdough discard to most any recipe that does not already call for starter to use up any excess starter and to also give your baked goods a surprising tang. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

85. josh

Did you forget or purposefully not include steam in the process of baking?
    I find it easy, even at home, to pre-steam the oven with few ice cubes on the bottom and spritzing some water over the loaves after 3-4 minutes into the bake. That yields a crusty, crackly and beautiful crust.
    Thanks for the recipe

Didn’t forget, Josh; I just prefer not to use it in this bread, which has a very thin, “cohesive” crust – in other words, it doesn’t flake off in shards. You can absolutely steam for a shinier, “flake-ier” crust – go for it! :) PJH