Apple Spice Whoopie Pies: apple pie à la mobile

apple-spice-whoopie-pies

While I do so love a good apple pie, it isn’t really my favorite thing to bake.

I’m much more of a cake gal myself, especially if said cake involves lots of creamy buttercream filling and icing.

Bring on the fusion as we combine our favorite fall flavor with cake, glorious cake.

Cinnamon and apple makes one of the most comforting combinations out there, so why not bring them along when we make fun-tastic whoopie pies?

These fluffy little portable “pies” are really little cakes sandwiched with sweet filling. Think of it as reversing your apple pie à la mode, with the apple-y spicy goodness on the outside and the ice cream on the inside. Then imagine picking it up and running away to your secret place in the house, to enjoy all by yourself. A totally mobile version of a totally noble dessert, ready to go when and where you choose.

Don’t run away just yet, let’s make Apple Spice Whoopie Pies.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together:

• 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, homemade or purchased
  • 2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice

In the bowl of your mixer, combine:

• 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 4 tablespoons shortening

Add half the buttermilk/egg mixture.

Notice anything amiss in the picture? I realized just before blending that I had only put in one egg, so I just plopped the second one in the bowl. You, of course, are much smarter than that, and won’t make the same mistake.

Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the remaining buttermilk/egg mixture, and beat for another minute.

You’ll be rewarded with a medium-thick batter that scoops out onto parchment-lined baking sheets beautifully.

I wanted large, fist-sized whoopies, so I used our jumbo cookie scoop. Be sure to leave room for spreading between your pies, or you’ll have one big pie in the end.

Offsetting is a handy way to get several scoops on the tray without overcrowding.

Bake the whoopies in a 375°F oven for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown and the tops spring back when lightly touched.

Remove the baked cakes from the oven and cool completely on the trays before peeling up from the parchment. This prevents the cakes from splitting when they’re still warm and tender.

To make the filling, blend:

Do try to get your hands on cinnamon oil for this filling. If you want to try and find it locally, look in your local craft and hobby store (Michael’s, AC Moore, Jo-Ann, etc.). They usually have a nice big cake decorating section, and most sell a selection of oils for baking.

The filling will fluff right up and be ever so creamy.  If desired, you can add up to 1/2 cup softened cream cheese to give the filling a little tang, but I like the sweeter filling better, personally.

Use an offset spatula or knife to spread a generous amount of filling on one cake. If you want to be really fancy, you can pipe the filling with a star or flower tip on a piping bag. This would really make your treats stand out at the bake sale or picnic table.

Top with a second cake and press down gently to seal the two halves together.

Check out these buxom, palm-sized beauties. The whole kitchen will be scented of apple pie and cinnamon. The cinnamon oil especially brings a tangy high note of spice. Think of red hot candies, atomic fireballs and the like.

To store, wrap each whoopie pie in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 weeks. These whoopies are amazing right out of the freezer, especially if you like to nibble on frozen buttercream like we do at our house. If you prefer your icing creamy and soft, let them rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes before serving.

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Apple Spice Whoopie Pies.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. "Mia H"

How spicy does the cinnamon oil make the filling? I love cinnamon, but can’t quite imagine the spice level (either in terms of flavor or heat) of atomic fire balls in a dessert? Just not my cup of tea…
    The Cinnamon Oil is really a delight. But, you are right as too much of a good thing is not so good sometimes! It is strong, but that is why only 1/8 t. is being used. You could as little or as much as you like. And if you would rather, use ground cinnamon try adding 1/2 t. to start with. Good luck! Elisabeth

2. argentyne

Mmmm, I am looking for stuff to bake that use eggs (I accidentally ended up with 5 dozen eggs in the house.)

And I much prefer to bake than almost anything else… If this week doesn’t get too hot, I may make these sooner rather than later!
    How about making some lemon curd? Pastry cream? Strata? You can use up those eggs! Elisabeth

3. takefive34

Made our annual pilgrimage to KAF today…………WOW!!!! The new and improved headquarters is just that – new and improved to the nth degree!!! There were samples of Autumn Apple Cake to enjoy plus the recipe for same. After tasting the sample, hubby turned to me and stated, “Good thing you got the recipe!!!”. Couldn’t sit outside on the new dining patio due to the weather, but that certainly didn’t stop us from enjoying lunch!! Plan on coming from FL to VT for Thanksgiving; will just have to work out how to make a second trip to KAF, then get all the stuff packed in our FL-bound luggage (we’ll be flying).
    We are so happy you took the time to visit us. The facility is really a dream. I have to pinch myself every now and again. You will need to bring an empty suitcase with you from FL in November. That is the way to travel. Just fill er’ up! Enjoy your 2nd visit and hope to run into you! Elisabeth

4. morgan

Would it be OK to substitute butter in place of the shortening? These look soooo YUMMY! Thanks for continuing to inspire us!
    The trouble with using all butter in this case, is the whoopie pies may spread a bit more. The presentation will not be the same. So if you want the fluffier version, stick to the butter/shortening combination. By the way, our customers continue to inspire us, too! Elisabeth

5. "Paul from Ohio"

…………….”a la Mobile!” LOVE THE catchy line. Looks like a super tastey treat too – maybe more into Fall – even though the temps are heading that way the next few days!
    It’s been cool and rainy here for a few days, so we’re definitely in an apple-spice kind of mood. ~ MaryJane

6. argentyne

This post actually made me think that I may spend some time this weekend making a couple of batches of Italian Buttercream and then freezing it.

That would use up a lot of my eggs, and I should be able to flavor it after thawing without difficulty (if it needs to be flavored.)
    That has been on my weekend list since mid-July. Maybe THIS will be the weekend I get it done, with your inspiration! ~ MaryJane

7. "said the hobbit"

My people will be so excited to try these pies Just recently started making traditional ones for them and was shocked that some had no idea what a whoopie pie was. Is this a regional thing? Coming up to Norwich for my anual trip on Saturday and looking forward to seeing your new digs

8. bettybrzoska

I’m thinking double decker… whoopie – buttercream – whoopie – cinnamon ice cream – whoopie. But then, I always was precocious. Ooooh…or, make the whoopie smaller and then make an entire platter with half buttercream and half ice cream. The mind boggles. The waistline expands. Thank goodness we’re heading in to big comfy sweater weather. Bring On The Whoopies!
    Oooh, I never thought of the big sweater cover up. Brilliant! ~ MaryJane

9. Kim

Can these be made gluten free? Any ideas?
    You can certainly try this with a gluten free flour and 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum. We have not yet tested this method, but if you do, please let us know how it turns out! ~Amy

10. Debbismirnoff

Everything looks so delicious! Who does the photography for the blog and for the main website? I wonder if they use natural light or strobes. I love cooking, but have become interested in photography. Are there any behind the scenes shots? Thx

Debbi, we bloggers take our own photos, using fairly simple point-and-shoot Canon digital cameras. The photos in the catalogue, and the product and some of the recipe photos online, are taken by a professional in a studio. I take quite a few of the recipe shots myself, again using a point-and-shoot Canon, though sometimes I pull out my Nikon digital. The blog and many recipe photos are taken in natural light; no flash. The studio shots are taken in artificial light. Practice makes perfect – just start shooting, and you’ll gradually work out the best light for your camera, and what you like to shoot. Good luck! PJH

11. "said the hobbit"

Ok , Just made these for a group of people that I cook for on a regular basis. I haven’t done the filling as they are promised for next week and they will be frozen and filled at a later date. So far they appear to look just like yours. (Big sigh of relief) I made my own applesauce and was worried that it might be a bit watery. I had to double the recipe and never having made them I was flying by the seat of my pants. Hubby tried one of the “cookies” and declared them fantastic!!! For now I’ll believe him. When I was in Norwich 2 weeks ago I purchased your apple spice, an amazing 4 cup measuring tool and an American made cookie sheet that I am in love with. Why didn’t I buy 3!!!!
    I am so happy this recipe is a hit with your husband and I am sure they will pass the test with your group next week. Can you come back to our store??? I bet we will have those sheet pans for you! Elisabeth

12. rochelle_keefer

I made and rated this recipe a couple weeks ago, but I just had one out of the freezer and they’re still amazing. (Note: I HID a couple in the freezer. The ones I kept out were gone in a flash!) The buttercream didn’t get watery or anything after it thawed for about a half hour before it was devoured. I will be making these again! Thanks for the great recipe!
    Don’t you just love having some hidden treasures in the freezer for those “must-have-now!” days? ~ MaryJane

13. barrie2

Wanted to comment on my experience…back story – we do whoopie pies for an event every year and I wanted to add a new flavor, so did a test run of these. While I liked the filling, the cake seemed a bit bland to me. It just needed….something. And the sugar seemed to be lacking (and I don’t like things too sweet). It’s normally about 1:2 ratio for cake-like recipes and your original recipe is much less than that. So…did a “beta batch” with 1 C brown sugar (instead of 1/2 C white) and upped the salt a smidge to 3/4 tsp, added a cup of grated granny smith apple and reduced the applesauce to 1/2 C sweetened applesauce. Holy cow! It came to life! Really pleased. But, thought I would pass this along in case anyone else wanted to try this version. Thanks for a getting my creative juices flowing! And Rochelle is right – whoopie pies are perfect right out of the freezer! :) –Barrie
    Thanks for sharing your version, it is always nice to see new takes. ~ MaryJane

14. Cam

I’ve been in a baking mood lately. I wanna test this recipe out (the pumpkin doughtnuts too!) and make mini versions for our Thanksgiving potluck in place of the more traditional sweets. Could you tell me how much cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg I should use instead of the apple spice mix? Thanks in advance :)
    It’s really up to you, depending on which you like most for a spice, but generally apple pie spice has twice as much cinnamon as other spices, so I’d go with that for a ratio. ~ MaryJane

15. Maria

Could I substitute flour for gluten free flour? And if so do I still bake for same
    time?
    Maria

Unfortunately we have not tried this recipe with a gluten free flour, so we don’t have a definite recipe to use. However, you can start by replacing all of the flour with our gluten free blend and add 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum per cup. The baking time should stay around the same amount of time, but definitely keep an eye on them while they bake.-Jon

16. Carolyn

I want to make these in a couple of days. But I’m not really up for Italian butter cream. What would you suggest as a substitute?

A classic American butter cream, cream cheese frosting or even a 7 minute icing could work as a filling. Happy baking! Jon@KAF