Pumpkin doughnuts: BAKED to perfection

e090712

If you’re going to bake just ONE THING this month (or this week, or today – choose your preferred frequency)…

Let it be these pumpkin-cinnamon doughnuts.

As a test baker here at King Arthur Flour, I clearly do a lot of baking.

And I enjoy most of it. Oh sure, there’s the odd failure now and then. But on those occasions I simply sigh, walk out back to the treeline, and leave what’s sure to be a nice meal for the squirrels, birds, and other scavengers who might appreciate a change from their usual bugs and seeds.

I don’t even make them fill out a taste-test form.

Burned? Underbaked? Too much baking soda?

“I’m good with that,” say the skunks.

But these doughnuts – they were a grand-slam home run the very first time they came to bat.

I recently brought a cooling rack of warm pumpkin doughnuts into our Web office late one afternoon.

Maybe it was the end-of-the-day doldrums. Or lunch was too long ago, and dinner not nearly imminent enough.

But I prefer to think the enthusiastic response to the doughnuts was based purely on their own sweet merits.

Tasting wonderfully of pumpkin and autumn’s typical spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg), these moist, tender baked doughnuts disappeared in 1 minute flat, accompanied by much eye-rolling and groans of pleasure. (Hey, remember, we work for King Arthur Flour; food is a subject of great interest and appreciation around here!)

A few weeks later, as an icebreaker at our weekly Web meeting, I asked everyone, “What’s your favorite breakfast?

Answers ranged from the simple (buttered toast with cheddar cheese), to the popular (chocolate chip pancakes), to the gourmet (shiitake omelet with shallots, a sprinkle of Vermont cheese powder, and sourdough bread), to, well, the “childlike” (Peanut Butter Captain Crunch – with a side of Bugles!).

But one team member immediately piped up, “Those pumpkin doughnuts. The. Best.”

I rest my case.

Let’s start with a couple of essentials:

Pumpkin purée, most often found in a can – though I know there are those of you who make your own.

If you cook up your own purée, make sure it’s as thick as the canned variety. For use in this recipe, it should be the consistency of apple butter or, more familiarly – pudding.

And here’s your other “must have” – a doughnut pan. Preferably two.

Trust me, I resisted buying a pair of these for quite a long time.

“Do I REALLY need another special-use pan?”

Well, “need” and “want” are two very different things, as we all know. But do I love these pans?

Yes, I do. I use them all the time. My husband volunteers with a trail crew at our local nature center, and “the guys” are very appreciative of homemade doughnuts.

Me? I’m REALLY appreciative of moist, tender cake doughnuts that are baked, not deep-fried. They’re as fast and easy to make as… well, let’s just call them a piece of cake.

And wait’ll you see the apple-cinnamon baked doughnuts filled with butterscotch swirl ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce I’ll be blogging about in a few months… I’ve done banana doughnuts, strawberry doughnuts, plain & simple baked doughnuts with cider glaze –  your imagination will take you in all kinds of directions with this recipe  – and pan.

Now, can you make these as muffins, not doughnuts?

Absolutely.

But frankly, they’re not quite as good. The crust-to-interior ratio of a baked doughnut is just perfect, balancing the doughnut itself with whatever coating you prefer to add: cinnamon-sugar, confectioners’ sugar, simple granulated sugar, even a drizzle of chocolate or caramel.

Are you ready? Let’s bake some pumpkin doughnuts. Preheat your oven to 350°.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our photos.

Place the following in a mixing bowl:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus a heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Beat everything together until smooth.

Add 1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, stirring just until smooth.

BTW, this is a great place to try King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour. Reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon; omit the baking powder, and substitute 2 cups (8 ounces) self-rising flour for the all-purpose flour.

Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.

As I mentioned earlier, if you don’t have doughnut pans, you can bake these in a couple of standard muffin tins; they just won’t be doughnuts.

Fill the wells of the doughnut pans about 3/4 full, using a scant 1/4 cup of batter in each well; a tablespoon cookie scoop helps with this task.

If you’re making muffins, fill each well about 3/4 full; the recipe makes about 15, so you’ll need to bake in two batches (unless you have two muffin pans).

Bake the doughnuts for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean. If you’re using self-rising flour, bake for the longer amount of time.

If you’re making muffins, they’ll need to bake for 23 to 25 minutes.

Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after about 5 minutes, loosen their edges, and transfer them to a rack to cool.

While the doughnuts are still warm (but no longer fragile), gently shake them in a bag with cinnamon-sugar. Or better yet, pumpkin-spice sugar, made by combining the aforementioned pumpkin pie spice (or substitute) with granulated or extra-fine sugar.

If you’ve made muffins, sprinkle their tops heavily with the spiced sugar of your choice.

Are these not a thing of beauty and a joy forever?

And wait’ll you taste ‘em – “favorite breakfast,” indeed!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Pumpkin Baked Doughnuts.

comments

1. miller0814

I can’t wait to try these!! I love my donut pans and the donuts that I bake in them.
    I find the easiest way to fill the pans is to put the batter in a gallon sized zipper bag and snip a corner. Then I just “pipe” the filling into the wells. It’s really fast that way. :)

2. JenBishop

Those looks so good. I was going through my freezer and realized I hadn’t gotten to several bags of the pumpkin puree I have. SO I will be making several batches.

Now if only I can convince my DH that I need a second doughnut pan.

3. bluestocking

I have a mini-donut pan- until I buy this one :) do you think the recipe would work with the mini pan? Just adjusting baking time? The thing is- I think I NEED to make them today! :)
    Sure! The baking time will indeed be shorter. Enjoy! ~Amy

4. dogmom04

Yum!! And no canned pumpkin in my cupboards! I don’t have two large doughnut pans (why did I buy just one??), and I think I have one mini doughnut pan too? I need to organize my obscure pan cupboard before I go much further…. But I am thinking mini muffins will give me the preferred crust to soft center ratio also? Worth a try! Thanks for this delicious recipe!

5. BluebonnetBaker

PJ, you just made my day. Seriously.

I have mini donut pans floating around here somewhere, but if I can’t find them, I think you could make them in a mini muffin pan and call them donut holes, don’t you? Better muffin to sugar-mix ratio, I’d say, more like a donut.

Have you ever made Snickerdoodles with pumpkin pie spice and sugar for the outside instead of just cinnamon? Life changing. I don’t make Snickerdoodles any other way now, and they are absolutely my favorite non-chocolate cookie.

These are going on the to-make list for THIS weekend. I’ve never been so happy to not have weekend plans!

6. Cindy leigh

Beautiful!
    I’m thinking I can sub half white whole wheat.
    I love pumpkin. My favorite pumpkin loaf has choc chips in it. Yum!

7. aamoe

oh I know what I’m baking this weekend – these look fabulous! But I’ll have to get a donut pan first – I’ve been looking at them, and trying to decide if I really “need” one. You helped make that decision with this recipe. Can’t wait to try!

8. gaitedgirl

Well, I know what the husband will be asking me to make this weekend. He hasn’t yet started asking for pumpkin items but September is still young… Thanks for the recipe PJ – I’m sure it’s going to be a knock-out as usual!

9. Aviva R

OMG. There’s nothing my husband loves more than pumpkin-y treats. Do you think these would turn out well if made in a cake-pop pan? Sort of like donut holes?What a good idea. are you going to use the sticks? you could dip them in chocolate! Betsy@KAF

10. natalie

did i miss the temperature?? i don’t see it listed anywhere :\It’s at the beginning of the recipe. 350 degrees! Betsy@ KAF

11. AnneMarie

Wait until you try these with mini chocolate chips in them , or a thin chocolate glaze. MMMMMMMMMmmmm pumkin and chocolate, an amazing combination!

12. Mama Mo

Can you use whole wheat flour instead of All-purpose flour? I will add some Flaxseed oil in the batter, as well. I want to make them this weekend. Thank you for the recipe!Yes, start with 25/75. Yummy! Betsy@KAF

13. pcgurugirl

I’m definately going to try these once it cools off here(tx), which is generally around dec/jan (ugh). pumpkin anything, even pumpkin patches don’t feel right when it’s 100deg. makes me long for chicago weather where I grew up!

my mom adores pumpkin anything, so i’m going to pass this along, but more than likely she’ll demand I make them for her when I visit. my family always has a wishlist when I visit them :)

I have never been a big fan of donuts myself, but the ONE kind I always loved were the apple cider donuts made at the local u-pick apple orchard up north. they were cake similar to these, albiet I assume fried, and also coated in cinn/sugar.
    I’d LOVE to see a a recipe for THOSE!

14. sundance183

Two questions, PJ, please. I have a bag nearly full of SR flour, but it’s old. Is there any way to salvage it? Like add more baking powder or something?

Also, if you make a regular donut recipe and after cutting them out bake them on a pan with parchment, will they bake OK or do they need that quick burst of heat you get with deep frying?

It would depend just how old your SR flour is – if you mean years old, then just use it as if it didn’t contain baking powder (but did contain salt), as the leavening probably has lost its stuff. Also, I’ve tried baking (rather than frying) regular cutout doughnuts; they’re not at all the same. The crust is different, and they tend to be dense and heavy; they do need that burst of heat to rise, unlike these cake doughnuts, which include a lot more liquid – which means they rise a lot more easily. Hope this helps – PJH

15. Joe

I actually made these this weekend after stumbling upon it looking for a recipe for apple cider doughnuts. I have had the doughnut pans for a while, but have not really liked the results with other recipes I had tried. The texture of these was just like a regular cake doughnut. One comment though, I had a few left over and the cinnamon sugar coating melted away over night and made them sticky. Not bad, but not as good as when first made. This recipe is a keeper.

16. SugarPusher

These look absolutely positively divine! Little does my boss know that I am sneaking out early from work so I can hit the store to find a doughnut pan (something I have always wanted and now have an excuse to buy).

I am thinking these could be perfect for my work charity bake sale next month. Would it be possible to make any part of these ahead of time or would it be better to make and eat day of?

I think it would be OK to make and freeze a couple of weeks ahead – no sugar coating. Thaw overnight, then shake in sugar just before serving. This is all conjecture since I haven’t tried it, but they’re moist enough that they should freeze well – as well as cake does. Good luck! PJH

17. emdh

I was “given” two doughnut pans and a doughnut cookbook for Mother’s Day (in other words, I bought them for myself!) and had yet to try out the pans. So I immediately made this recipe this morning. REALLY delicious. They’re heavier than I expected (but that’s not a bad thing) and the flavor is really heavenly. The only thing I’d note is that it took several minutes longer to bake than the recipe stated, and my oven is typically pretty true. After eating almost two of them before lunch (well…. they ARE baked and not fried:) I promptly froze a half-dozen so I wouldn’t eat any more and regret it! Thanks for another KAF keeper!

Emilie

Thanks so much for your feedback, Emilie. Baking times can vary quite a lot, as everyone’s ovens are so different; plus, if the liquid/flour ratio is just a bit off one way or another, that can change the baking time, too. In other words – lots of variables. Consider times a suggestion, and test for doneness – that’s what I do. Glad you liked them! PJH

18. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

Wow! How much do I want to make these doughnuts? A lot! You can do so much with the doughnut bases. I’m seeing a cream cheese glaze and a chocolate glaze. You could do a pumpkin assortment. Yum! :)

That’s what I was thinking, Lauri – I started dreaming up all kinds of flavors and combinations, starting with a basic baked doughnut, then adding sugar, or glaze, or filling (in the hole in the middle as a plated dessert) – definitely a fun recipe. Enjoy – PJH

19. knitter123

This recipe is great! Doubled the recipe, baked as donut holes for 15 minutes in mini muffin tins. Rolled in cinnamon sugar, taste great.

Good idea, doughnut holes in the mini muffin pan – I’ve done that, too. They’re not exactly spherical, but no one ever seems to care! :) PJH

20. sallie789

I just baked six tonight. They’re divine! I’m wondering if I can refrigerate the rest of the dough for a day or two, bring it to room temperature, and then bake the rest. Do you think that will work? Two people don’t need a dozen donuts all at once… :)

Yes, I do think that’ll work, Sallie – not absolutely sure because I haven’t tried it but it sounds reasonable. I wouldn’t go longer than 2 days – Scoop the batter into the pan, then let rest while you preheat your oven; it’ll warm to room temperature more quickly in the pan than in the bowl. Doesn’t have to be at room temperature to bake, if you don’t want to wait; just add more baking time to make up for a cooler batter. Good luck -let us know how it works, OK? Others will probably want to try this, too. PJH

21. bgwilson

I love these baking pans! I put the batter in a large zip lock bag and snip the end and then “pipe” it into the pan! Easy and neat!

That’s a creative way to make your own pastry piping bag! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

22. Winnie

Just made these for breakfast using my muffin pan shaped like pumpkins. YUMMY! Next time I’ll make them with a cup of cinnamon chips. I might double the recipe and use my muffin top pan.

This recipe is definitely a keeper!

23. jeanh1259

Good Morning, I have a question for you, Could I make the batter at home and bring it with me on my boat and bake it the following morning?
    Thanks, I made them at home and everyone loved them!!!!

Sure, Jean, I’d think that would be fine, so long as you kept the batter refrigerated. What a great “on-water” breakfast! Enjoy – PJH

24. kaf-sub-Shartab

These were delicious — even my son who claims to hate everything inhaled one when I wasn’t looking! Not too pumpkin-y and the cinnamon sugar really makes them perfect. I used the large donut pan, scooped in the batter with my muffin-sized scoop just overflowing, and that was the right amount. Got 15 donuts. Beautiful color and texture, this is a definite keeper — the best recipe I’ve found so far for the donut pan!

So glad to hear it – thanks for sharing your enthusiasm. I agree, they’re nicely pumpkin-y, not overwhelming, and the cinnamon brings out their flavor beautifully. Enjoy – PJH

25. pty

Just made these donuts with my son and they are DELICIOUS! Question- i’d like to make a baked apple cider donut, any suggestions/recipies? Thanks a bunch~Patty

Try these Cider Doughnuts, Patty – YUMMMMMM….. PJH

26. cflan

These look amazing! i have a big thing of pumpkin spice that i never use… If i wanted, could i use that in place of the other spices, and if so how much?

Here’s what the recipe says – does this answer your quesiton? 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus heaping 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground ginger. Good luck – PJH

27. Kim

I don’t have a doughnut pan, but I do have a mini Bundt pan with 6 individual cavaties. Do you think that will work if I only fill them as full as if it were a true doughnut pan?

Yes, I think that would work just fine, Kim. Go for it! PJH

28. bellagood

Made these this weekend after my toddler saw the picture at the top of the print out. Added your mini-ginger chips (the chopped pieces of candied ginger) when I couldn’t find my powdered ginger. Toddler approved!

YAY! Toddler-approved is a good thing. Thanks for sharing – PJH

29. Mrsp1960

Could this be done in an angel food cake pan?

Probably; it’s basically a cake. They wouldn’t be doughnuts, but would taste good nonetheless. You’d have to increase the baking time – not sure by how much, though. Sorry for all the unknowns, but it’s an experiment I haven’t tried… PJH

30. amber

hi…i’m definitely going to try this recipe out…i was just wondering if there was a way to make it vegan? thank you!

Hi Amber – no guarantees, but you could try this vegan muffin recipe, omitting the fruit and nuts, and substituting pumpkin for the juice – let us know how it works, OK? Good luck – PJH

31. Simon Whittaker

My pumpkins are not ready yet but these sound great, were can i get a donut pan, never seen 1 like that in England, make muffins instead :-)
    P.S if you know please let me know, i`m on F B just look for the big dog in snow:-)

Simon, you can purchase doughnut pans from us. Not sure about sources overseas… Hope you find some, this is a really good recipe! PJH

32. Monica

My family is allergic to eggs and we use substitutes (but it usually only works w/2 or less eggs). Have you tried this w/substitutes?

I love doughnut pans. I own the mini ones. I use a icing bag to fill the doughnuts. It works great!!!

Haven’t tried with egg substitute, Monica, but I’m betting it’ll work just fine. And the icing bag to fill the doughnut pans is a great idea – thanks for sharing! PJH

33. Susan

I live right at 7000 feet. Do you know how I should modify the recipe for high altitude?

Susan, the recipe should be modified as any cake recipe would be modified at your altitude – for tips about this, see our high altitude baking tips. Good luck – PJH

34. bmich

can the oil be replaced with applesauce and use egg whites instead of whole eggs to cut down on the fat ?

Yes, you can certainly make those substitutions. The doughnuts will be very different; not nearly as tender, somewhat rubbery, and a bit drier. But they should still taste pretty good, aside from their texture – PJH

35. "Sarah d"

made these this weekend and they were delicious! but the next morning the coating had all dissolved and the donuts were wet and sticky. I tried adding another coating but had the same thing happen within a couple hours. still got compliments from the few brave enough to try them!

Sarah, try leaving them only lightly wrapped; I like to put them in a single layer under a large cover from a plastic deli takeout tray. Also, leave them on a rack. Or – don’t sugar them until just before you’re going to serve (or within an hour or so). All of these steps should help – it’s moisture absorbed by the sugar, combined with lack of air circulation, causing this. PJH

36. Rockycat

I’d like to try the 25% whole wheat flour substitution, but I prefer to measure by weight. I’m guessing that the WW flour doesn not weigh the same per volume as does the AP flour. Is that correct? If so, how much WW flour, by weight, should I try?

1 cup whole wheat flour (either white or the premium) weighs 4 ounces. To make your measuring easy for this recipe, use 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat and the rest (1 1/2 cup) all purpose flour. Taste the results before you decide to add more whole wheat. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

37. kmarie227

I gave these a try today and they were a home run! General opinion around the house was to omit the cinnamon-sugar coating (uh, because they were disappearing from the cooling rack so fast), but they’re fantastic all the same. Next time I may give it a try with 25% wheat flour and some of the ginger mini-chips. Delicious!!

Glad to hear this is a new family favorite – thanks for sharing your enthusiasm! PJH

38. Rockycat

Reporting back – The whole wheat substitution worked, although I think it could have taken even a little more whole wheat flour. The family thought the donuts turned out a bit too eggy, but that could be because I made only half the recipe and guesstimated the half egg. I must have missed some. On the whole, the taste was pretty good and I would make them again.
    My only real problem was with filling the cavities in the pan. I used a disposable pastry bag without a tip and the batter didn’t settle in all that well. There are some odd crinkles and creases on the pan side of the donuts. Also, even with overfilling the cavities, I still had some batter left over. Had I filled the pan properly I probably could have made a few muffins, too.
    Onward to cider donuts.
    Did you add extra liquid to the recipe when you used the whole wheat flour? It sounds like your batter may have been too thick. Be sure to add an extra tablespoon of liquid per cup of whole wheat flour used. ~Amy

39. dcherenson@gmail.com

Would it be possible to cut down on the salt? These look yummy but my family has to reduce sodium.
    I think reducing it down to 1/2 teaspoon would be fine. ~Amy

40. penneycasy

Hi Bettina – I just logged on to ask that question about making donut holes in a cake pop form. How long did you bake them?
    If she is using the same form we use here, it should take about 10 to 12 minutes. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

Yes, I’ve done this – it took 10 to 12 minutes, as MJ says. PJH

41. horses272

These were great. If you use a mini-doughnut pan it is a bit tricky getting the batter in. Use a pastry bag or plastic bag with a hole cut at the end. Soooo much easier!!!

42. Nicole Maxwell

These just jumped to the top of my “Must Bake Soon” list. In fact, it may be happening these weekend! I held off on buying a donut pan for a long time, but bought one about 2 months ago and use it at least every other week. Love it!

43. Amy

I just made these and they were the PERFECT way to start the weekend. Topped them with cream cheese glaze (3 oz. softened cream cheese, 3 T powder sugar, 1/4 t vanilla, and 2 T almond milk). My anti-pumpkin husband scarfed them up as well!

44. iumgrad2

I have a box of unbleached cake flour that I’d like to use-can I use it in this recipe? I sent my husband to the store to buy pastry flour for the baked donuts on this site. So now, cake flour is what I have on hand.
    BTW-these look delicious and it is very cool outside today so I am really in the baking mood.
    Using the cake flour in this recipe should be fine. ~Amy

45. Ami Lea

These look delicious! Is it possible to use all whole wheat flour or is it necessary to to use all purpose flour with the whole wheat?
    For a nice structure, I’d say use the all purpose. It just gives a lighter texture. ~ MaryJane

46. johnanddru

Made double recipe of these today, super easy, and absolutely delicious, all three sons grabbed and ate their fill. Do you have any nutrition info on these, actually that would be a great addition to all your recipes. thanks
    Someday we do hope to post nutritional info for all recipes, but we just don’t have the manpower for it right now. Try the free program at http://www.sparkpeople.com. We’ve found it easy to use and accurate. ~ MaryJane

47. Datnee

Just made these and they are amazing. Seeing how these got devoured in 3 minutes flat I am not gonna be able to make these ahead of time for any given occasion. They are definitely a bake-and-eat treat.

Go ahead and make them – you will not regret it.

48. LAH

These weren’t so good IMO. I bought the special donut pan (1 pan) and these are basically just cake–and not even good cake. If you only have one pan, will take you a couple hours to make all of the donuts from the batter. I’m not a fan of these.
    I’m sorry for your disappointment. These are a traditional cake doughnut. If you are looking for a yeast-raised doughnut, check out this recipe. ~Amy

49. "Love Is in The Details"

Amazing! We wait until our local orchard offers their famous pumpkin donuts to go apple/pumpkin picking and you can expect to stand in line at one of the 4 donut spots for 20+ minutes, they are a tradition and fabulous, but these…these rival those and I can make them in my own kitchen! Thank you, this is the best pumpkin donut recipe I’ve tried!

I have 2 donut pans & couldn’t wait to try these, I fills them and my cake pops pans with a “pancake pen” makes quick and simple work of the whole process. Can’t wait to share this bit of Fall love with friends and coworkers! (now I need to try your apple cider recipe)

50. Margot

I used my pastry bag to fill the donut pan, worked great and really helped me get the amount just right! These also seemed easy to under cook so have been leaving them in a couple extra minutes.

51. colleen

Turned out perfect and taste amazing! Do you have a recipe for baked donuts using applesauce. Apple spice donuts would be delicious using these pans!
    We do, in fact have a recipe for donuts that uses applesauce! Enjoy! ~Amy

52. Megan

I just made these in a muffin tin as a I don’t have a doughnut pan (yet). The recipe couldn’t have been easier. They are quite yummy right out of the oven — very pumpkiny and moist, and not too sweet somehow. I think they were definitely worth it. However, I almost want to amp up the spice level in them. I can imagine that they would be delectable as a doughnut…

Amp up the spices as much as you like, Megan; we deliberately go easy on them, as we find more people are averse to strong flavor than happy with it. And, as you said, you can always add more… Enjoy – PJH

53. susanna

Just made these and they were awesome! I do not have a doughnut pan so I used one regular sized muffin tin and 2 mini muffin tins. I should have put the cinnamon/sugar on the tops before baking but I didn’t and it wouldn’t stick to the top afterwards so I just rolled the bottoms in cinnamon/sugar after baking and put them upside down on the cooling rack. They were so fabulous! I LOVED them. I left some without cinnamon/sugar for my hubby as he likes things not so sweet and I think he will love these-if there are any left by the time he gets home. My two children dug right in. Thank you so much for this recipe.

Susanna, glad we’re able to provide you with another great recipe to add to your files – enjoy! PJH

54. lgs6007

Made this recipe this past weekend. I don’t have doughnut pans so I used my mini-loaf pans instead… I love any reason to use those pans, but this was fantastic! The recipe posted here will fill three of the pans three quarters full. I topped the loafs with a topping made of two tablespoons granulated sugar combined with three quarters teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. Loafs took 45 minutes to bake and were a huge hit! Thanks KAF for a great versatile fall pumpkin recipe!

And thanks for sharing your pan choice here – we all learn from one another’s experiences, and now I know I can turn this into a quick bread! PJH

55. erikagomez2012

I really wanted to try these but only had pumpkin yogurt i made and muffin tins. I went ahead and made them and they were delicicous! Not as fluffy as these donuts but definitely a delicious muffin! I’ll have to try the recipe as baked donuts, they look delicious.
    Wow! That is fabulous! I am happy it worked and thank you for sharing. Elisabeth

56. Addicted to donuts

Hello,
    Would this recipe work with a mini donut maker?
    It should work out fine in a donut machine. Let us know if you try it. :) ~ MaryJane

57. Addicted to donuts

Thanks Sesha! Going to try it this week. I love my mini donut maker but now I wouldn’t mind having the donut pan. Nothing beats the scent of freshly baked pumpkin muffins/donuts/pies. Oh my!

58. Michelle

I made these while home recovering from surgery – I even ordered pans from Amazon. Totally amazing – I have made at least 6 batches so far – really yummy! Thanks for such a great recipe! Now I have to make it up to visit your new store!

Michelle, we’ll look forward to a visit from you – best of luck as you recover from surgery. I’m making the doughnuts tomorrow morning first thing – subbing some applesauce since I only have 1 cup of pumpkin, so they’ll be applesauce-pumpkin – sounds good, right? Be well – PJH

59. Dotty

Just made these perfectly punkinny donuts prezactly as written and they were fabulous! First batch was accidentally made with pumpkin pie filling… Big Oops, they were like lead weights. DH looked at the can & pointed out my mistake. Post haste to the pantry to fetch the pumpkin puree for a donut do-over. The new batch was perfect, puree made all the difference.
    I am so glad you caught the mistake, Dotty. I do that with other products on the grocery shelves and boy, do I get annoyed at myself! Good catch! Elisabeth

60. Renee

Is there no way to print the recipe without printing out the entire blog post? If there’s not, it would be really helpful to add that feature. And if you do have it, it would be nice if it were a little more prominent on the page. Thanks.
    Yes, there are two ways to reach the recipe page from the blog. One is at the top under the title and date of the blog where it says recipe- the actual recipe title is an active link to the recipe page on our website. The other location is at the end of the blog where is says to read, bake and review recipe for . . . the title of the recipe is again, an active link there. Hope this helps! ~Amy

61. Leigh

I used mini-doughnut pans and they were fabulous! The recipe will make 36 mini ones which to me is by far better than the large ones. I like small serving sizes…..it gives one a little treat without overdoing it. I ran it through the nutritional calculator and the mini version is only 90 calories each. These are great with coffee or milk plus I’m burning my new “autumn hayride” candle so…..welcome fall!

Next time I’m thinking of doing an assortment of glazes on them including sugar glaze and a maple sugar glaze. I better sanding sugar would also give them a nice crunch! Thanks KA for sharing!
    Those finishes sound super! Enjoy the ride, Leigh! Elisabeth

62. Mary

Just made these wonderful little donuts this morning. They were gone in minutes. I’m not sure if we just didn’t wait long enough for the donuts to cool but they were a little heavy. Maybe I’ll add a little more flour next time. However, they still tasted delicious! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!
    I am happy these were enjoyable, Mary. I am not sure if you want to add a little more flour though if they seemed heavy. Be sure you are not over mixing once the flour has been added and also, take a look here for how to measure flour. Contact us if you continue to have questions. Elisabeth

63. Vieve

Made these last night as muffins and they are delicious. I don’t have a doughnut pan, but I’m going to get them now so that I can make these the right way!
    Enjoy! Elisabeth

64. Patricia Pierson

Made these doughnuts after reading cc’s adaption for gluten
    free..thank you so much, they are delicious!! I appreciate so
    much people who have adapted recipes to gluten free and sharing their tips with others. I am new to the art of gluten
    free baking and all suggestions are soooo welcome! Thanks
    again!!
    We are learning along with you, Patricia! So, the more we can share, the better! Amy, our GF blogger is going to blog on English Muffins soon, so hold tight. Another recipe to add to your collection. Elisabeth

65. DAWNCONTE

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but how many doughnuts does one batch make? Thanks!
    This batter is enough to fill 2 standard muffin tins or 12 donuts. If you do not have donut pans, one standard muffin tin would be a good substitute. Have fun trying this recipe! Elisabeth

66. SantGiovanna

Just made these doughnuts and since I don’t own a doughnut pan, I used two mini bundt pans yielding 12 doughnuts. After baking for 18 minutes, they turned out perfectly. Yum.
    Just one issue: I could not get the cinnamon-sugar to coat the doughnuts. What’s your secret?
    If they were still warm, the cinnamon-sugar should stick. The bag method is the best as PJ demonstrates. If you are still having some trouble you could brush some melted butter on the slightly warm donuts and then shake in cinnamon sugar. And there is nothing wrong with melted butter, right? Yum. Elisabeth

67. hmuncie

These were great!! I cut the sugar in half and made them for my kids. I also skipped the sugar on the outside. It made 20 donuts in my donut maker, and the extras have thawed perfectly! Thanks!!
    I am so glad you and your kids enjoyed these and will continue to enjoy them! Elisabeth

68. sarap

I thought that the dough was a bit salty. We all still LOVED them, my husband didn’t notice until Iasked. The sugar on top helps. But, next time I think I will reduce the salt to 3/4 t. or 1 t. Hope this won’t ruin the nice puffy soft texture.

69. SantGiovanna

Dear Elisabeth, Thank you for your suggestion to brush the warm doughnuts with butter. I am a fan. Is there any reason why I should not replace the oil with 1/2 cup butter (thereby maintaining the fat content in the recipe)?

This isn’t Elisabeth, but I can certainly answer your question. So long as you melt the butter, you can add it into the recipe as you would the oil. The doughnuts may brown more because of the milk solids in the butter, so I would be careful in that regard. -JDB

70. Amy

I tried your pumpkin doughnut recipe yesterday. Instead of baking in donut pan in the oven I simply used my cake pop maker. It was super quick and easy. They were amazing and delicious, the kids and hubby enjoyed some this morning. I blogged about it here http://www.amysartfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Very cute pictures and blog Amy! Loved the Yoda costume.-JDB

71. PrettyladyCheryl

I did mini muffins and replaced the veg oil with coconut oil! DELISH!!!!! Ensure that you warm the coconut oil before mixing or you will get clumps in it…Thanks so much for this recipe!

Cheryl, that does sound scrumptious indeed – thanks for sharing! PJH

72. Lucette :)

Do you think these could be made with King Arthur’s gluten free multipurpose flour? My son is GF, and he loves all things pumpkin… he would be all over these! (And it would be worth the pan’s price if he liked them and ate them!)

Thanks!

Lucette, use our recipe for Gluten-Free Scones, subbing at the appropriate places (apples, spices, cinnamon chips) – I think it’ll work out just fine. Enjoy – PJH

73. Randee

I made these doughnuts this morning and they are wonderful. So moist and light for a baked doughnut with a fantastic flavor. DH loved them too. I will definitely be making these again. Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

Randee, sp glad you enjoyed them. I was thinking today – how about a plain cake doughnut, with crisp bacon and maple syrup in the bottom of the doughnut pan wells before adding the batter? Maple-bcaon doughnuts, here we come! :) PJH

74. Amyhmommy@gmail.com

I just made these egg-free (allergy with my youngest) with the 3 tbs flaxseed and 9 tbs water substitute and they were yummy! My cooking time increased to 25 minutes, but the family loved them! Thanks for another recipe that I can adapt! It really helps.

75. Tish

My daughter has celiacs, so I wanted to make these gluten free. I just substituted a GF flour mixture and added 1 tea. xanthan gum. They came out fantastic and even looked just like the pictue! A bonus – they make the house smell delicious. They couldn’t be easier. Thank you for the recipe!

Tish, I’m so glad those substitutions worked out for you – and thanks for sharing them here, so that others following a GF diet can enjoy these doughnuts, too. Cheers – PJH

76. Carol

I just made these in mini-muffin pans – made 5 dozen, baked at 350 x 17 minutes. If you sprinkle the tops with the pumpkin-spice sugar BEFORE putting them in the oven, the sugar adheres nicely. The first batch, I waited until the end and the sugar fell right off. But the second batch? PERFECT! We are hooked – these will be our fall after-school snacks!

Thanks for the great tip, Carol – much appreciated! PJH

77. "Ms. Capile"

Had a brand new donut maker I have never used and this inspired me to pull it out! I am so glad I did. It made very delicious mini donuts. Can’t wait to do this a few times this season such a great recipe!

Great idea, making these in your doughnut maker. I’m glad we were able to inspire you to dust it off and heat it up with this tasty recipe! PJH

78. Tammy

My husband’s birthday is at the end of October. Since it falls on a weekend this year, I want to make him something special for his birthday breakfast. I was searching for a baked donut recipe when I found this one. How perfect! I am really looking forward to making this fall treat.

Hmm, I may have to test-drive this recipe before I make a batch for the birthday boy. Gotta make sure they come out okay, you know. ;)

79. Stella

I LOVE this recipe! I just made it and it was a huge hit. Everyone gobbled them up. (By the way, I reduced the total sugar by half a cup, and used 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup regular, and it delicious. I also used a whole 15 oz can of pumpkin.)

Do you have a recipe for baked chocolate doughnuts? That would be so yummy! (Maybe chocolate donuts with chocolate frosting…)
    We are so happy to hear the recipe is a true hit! We do not have a chocolate version on our site. We have a Chocolate Doughnut that is fried in our Baker’s Companion cookbook on p. 45. You could try baking the batter, though. Let us know if you would like the recipe sent to you by calling or sending an email. Meanwhile, I will let our bloggers know there is a request for chocolate donuts! Elisabeth

80. Amy

I am in Haiti and I need a great fun fall recipe next week so locating a Doughnut pan is a little more difficult. Wondering (albeit less healthy) if I could fry this dough and make Doughnut holes…..

We’ve heard the baked donut recipe works well baked in a muffin pan. We have other fried donut recipes on our website, but do let us know if your fried version of this recipe works. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF