Biscoff scones: dodging the three-strike rule

biscoff

Question of the day, fellow bakers: What do baseball games and the King Arthur Flour test kitchen have in common?

No, we don’t wear those uniforms; and I’ve never seen anyone rubbing dirt on the rolling pin before using it.

No one is using a little broom to dust off their station before stepping up to bake. Here, let me give you a little musical hint:

So root, root, root for the home team,  if they don’t win it’s a shame. For it’s one, two, three strikes you’re out at the oooold baaaallll gaaame!”

That’s right. We have an informal rule when testing out new recipes. Three strikes (or three failures) and “yer out!” Pack in that particular recipe and move on to something else; it just isn’t going to happen right now.

I’ll admit it, I haven’t wandered very close to the strike zone in probably a year or so, and Fate must have seen me resting on my laurels a little too much, for I just had one of those days with this particular recipe – and nearly went down swinging like Casey at the bat.

I hope you’ve had a chance to try an amazing product that has been all the rage for about a year now. It’s called Biscoff Spread, and it has bakers and foodies swooning in the aisles.

Biscoff cookies, those delicious little cinnamon cookies you get on longer flights, have long been favorites of airline travelers. They soothe the tummy and refresh the palate. The Biscoff company also sells other European-style cookies that can be mail ordered for those of us who only fly once or twice a decade.

In 2011,  Lotus Bakeries, the Belgium-based manufacturer, debuted Biscoff Spread – created by Ms. Els Scheppers of Belgium in 2007 as an entrant in Belgian TV’s version of “So You Think You Can Be an Inventor.” The fantastic recipe  reached the finals of the competition, and soon afterwards Lotus worked with Ms. Scheppers to perfect the product.

All I can say is thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. This spread has changed the way I eat apples, toast, ‘Nilla wafers and bananas. In our house it’s tied for first place with Nutella for fastest emptying jar in the cupboard. Thankfully it’s available in many of our local grocery stores, including Hannaford and Price Chopper; as well as Walmart and Trader Joe’s.

Long story long, here’s how it went when I created the recipe: Tweak the fat content here, add Biscoff there, et voilà! The DRIEST scones on the planet with very little Biscoff flavor. Okay, take 2. A touch more butter, more Biscoff, a little cinnamon to heighten the flavors, even a warm Biscoff glaze. Result? The second driest scones on the planet. Indeed, I was ashamed to put them out for tasting.

By now I’m beginning to doubt that I’ll be able to rectify this in just one more take. To my utter joy, fellow test bakers Charlotte Bothe and Susan Reid jumped right in with suggestions and we hashed out a plan for phase 3.

First, we decided that the flavor was fine, the warm glaze added just the right touch of sweetness, but the big issue was the dryness. The butter content seemed fine, but the dough was a little too easy to work with.

TOO easy? Yes, exactly. Scone dough should be a little sticky to work with, and this one just didn’t have that stickiness factor to it. We decided to increase the liquid just a *bit* more, and to use heavy cream for the added tenderness it would bring to the party.

Would it work? Would I need to pack up my bat and ball and go home?

Man, oh man, did it work. Like a perfect pitch, like an out-of -the-park homer, the final batch just sang with rich Biscoff-y goodness. A little humbler and a lot happier, I proudly put those scones out for tasting, and I’m happy to share this Biscoff Scones recipe here today. Batter up!

First, preheat the oven to 425°F.

In a large mixing bowl combine:

• 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cold butter, dicedCombine the 2 eggs, 1/2 cup Biscoff Spread, and 1/3 cup heavy cream in a measuring cup.Whisk with a fork until smooth and liquid.Pour the amazing Biscoff liquid over the dry ingredients and begin whisking together.

The dough will be soft and slightly sticky. Some  chunks of butter may still be visible, and that’s a good thing. Pieces of butter in the dough will help create flakes and layers.

Turn the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and pat it into an 8″ round. This dough was from an earlier version of the recipe and is a little drier. BUT I do think it helps you see the cuts a little better.If you like crisper edges on your scones, you can separate the scones a little bit. If you keep them barely touching, the edges will stay a little softer, but the scones will also rise a little higher.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the scones are no longer wet in the center, and the crust is lightly golden brown.

If you’re in luck, some of the butter will melt out around the bottom edge and “fry” the scone crust a little. This really enhances the cookieness (yes, it’s a word) of the scones.

Let the scones cool on the pan for 5 minutes while you prepare the glaze. Mix 2 tablespoons Biscoff Spread, 2 tablespoons heavy cream, and about 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar to make a smooth icing. Spread over the warm scones and let it melt over the edges. Serve right away with a big glass of cold milk, or a hot cup of coffee. Oh, and many, many napkins.

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Biscoff Scones.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Cindy Leigh

Thanks MJ!!
    Our son lived in Belgium for 5 months, 2 years ago, and we swooned over the speculoos spread he brought home. We’ve never found it here in CT, but he was in St. Louis last week and found it in a grocery store there. I’m jealous!! I hope he thought to grab some to mail home to me! Where did you find yours?

Oops! Re-read the piece and I see the stores you mention. I checked here and out TJs does not have it :-(

TJ’s does have “cookie butter,” though.Cindy – I think that’s what it’s called. Very, very similar, and I’m sure it would work just fine. Enjoy – PJH

I’m sure too if you can’t find it soon, someone in the community should be able to hook you up. Keep us posted on the hunt! ~ MaryJane

2. sp072900

I can’t wait to try this. Biscoff is by far one of the best spreads out there. I have just found Biscoff Crunchy – yep the crunchy is cookies crumbs. It’s so amazing. Thanks for creating a recipe using this amazing spread.
    I’ve got the crunchy on my list for next shopping trip. I think I’ll try it out on fresh bread first, still warm from the oven. *sigh of contentment*. ~ MaryJane

3. roselleponsaran

What a great way to use Biscoff spread! The spread is so good by itself it had never occurred to me that I could use it in baking. I’ll be trying this soon. I’m glad you kept trying!
    Me too! ~ MaryJane

4. pclondon

I think I know what I’m doing this weekend! At least it will prevent me from eating the entire jar of Biscoff (aka “The Devil’s Spawn”) directly from the jar.
    Also, I’ve made a cake frosting similar to the glaze here, but added cream cheese as well – topped a “cinnamon bun” cake with it. Possibly the best thing I’ve ever made (or, per the bathroom scale, the worst thing!).
    That sounds downright amazing, and positively sinful. See, you are turning into a devil of a baker! ;) ~ MaryJane

5. Aaron Frank

Fantastic.

I have been in love with Biscoff since I first had them a flight many years ago.

I ordered a special tin of them to take to the hospital each time my wife was pregnant and somehow they never made it.

I will make there as soon as I can get the Biscoff spread!

These really help me on flights too, never had them around when I was expecting. I think you owe your darling wife a batch of scones. ~ MaryJane

6. Aaron Frank

Looking at the website, there are two spreads – creamy and crunchy. It looks like you used creamy. But crunchy might be good too and give the scones some interesting texture. Have you tried these with cinnamon chips?

Thanks

Sounds like a great addition – thanks for the inspiration. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF
    Great idea Aaron! Sounds like a project for a chilly morning, doesn’t it? Let us know if you try it. ~ MaryJane

7. gaitedgirl

I am positively MAD for Biscoff spread! I bought the last jar at the store where I found it so I am apparently not the only person who loves it. I adore the cookies and I’m so glad that the spread tastes the same :) (You know how sometimes a company makes a spin-off of a product and it tastes nothing like the original? So glad that didn’t happen this time.)

This recipe sounds like a perfect use for the spread! I cannot wait to make these ASAP! (Unfortunately, I’m volunteering tonight and the dogs must come before scone making or these would be made tonight!)

You definitely have your priorities in order – and we’re glad that baking is still in the mix! Happy Baking – and thanks for all you do for others! Irene @ KAF

8. sarah685

These incredibly delicious! I haven’t tried Biscoff yet but will soon I hope. Is it similar to Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter?

Yes, Sarah, it’s very similar to TJ’s cookie butter – both are delicious! PJH

9. CatherineMcClarey

I just checked the “store availability” link on the Walmart website for Biscoff spread, and it’s at my local Walmart, only 20 miles away. (And I’d never even heard of this stuff before!) Sounds unhealthy as all getout, but a tasty “junk food for foodies” treat I will definitely want to try the next time I’m shopping at Walmart. Might try this scone recipe, too – my teen daughter loves scones, and might be persuaded to help bake a batch.
    My DD, 17, ate 3 of these over two days, so I think your girl will enjoy. :) ~ MaryJane

10. Jane Goepper

The recipe sounds delicious. However, it does not give baking temperature! As I make scones often I just use the temperature I usually use, but for those who don’t make them often, that would be helpful information.

Sorry about that, Jane – it’s 425°F. Thanks for the heads-up – PJH

11. lorrainesfav

Move over Nutella! I guess I will have to try this new taste sensation out in my recipes. First will be your Biscoff scone. Then maybe a Biscoff muffin…Biscoff cookie…Biscoff cake? Thanks for another great recipe idea.
    Like I said, Biscoff is taking over the ‘net on food blogs. I’m sure there will be no shortage of recipes for you to try. Have fun! ~ MaryJane

12. cartvl219

The Biscoff spread – plain or chunky, and cookies and Trader Joe’s version are all available at amazon.com. Yes, you have to pay the shipping charges but it saves driving all over the county searching in various stores. The Biscoff web site has a search feature that lists possible stores by state but, of course, that’s no guarantee that the store in your area will carry it.
    Carolyn
    Thanks for sharing this, I know it will help others find the joy that is Biscoff. :) ~ MaryJane

13. nlshugars

I am so excited as these look AMAZING and our local Wal-Mart has it available in the store. Thanks to Catherine for letting me know you can look on the store’s website to see if they carry it in your local store. I am so going there before I pick the kids up from school — I will be the kid’s hero today!
    Rock on Mom! Be sure to pick up an extra gallon of cold milk while you are there! ~ MaryJane

14. tisa

It pays to read all the way through each blog post…just as I was sighing and thinking, “Never heard of Biscoff, so I guess I won’t be making these,” I read a bit further to where you said TJs carries something similar. As I put a cinnamon pretzel spread with Cookie Butter into my mouth, I thought “hmmm, sounds like this stuff.” Continued reading and voila. Since it’s the same consistency as PB, I have successfully subbed Cookie Butter for PB into pancake recipes, etc. Certainly not as good for you, but once in a while, why not?
    We don’t have a TJ’s up here, but I did hear that they had a good cookie spread. I think it would work out just fine for Biscoff. ~ MaryJane

15. MGW960W

Do these keep well for a day or two? The instructions say to serve right away, but that isn’t always feasible. If they don’t keep well, can they be frozen? They sound delicious. Thank you.
    If you want to freeze them, do so before baking. Then you can take out just a few to bake and top and serve. If you need to freeze after baking, don’t add the topping, it will become soggy and runny after freezing. Hope this helps. ~ MaryJane

16. Sarah

When I make scones, I make cream scones – skip the butter, and use heavy cream in place of butter and milk. Easy, quick, very moist and tender crumb. Ditto for baking powder biscuits. I used to cut in the butter and use milk (or buttermilk), but due to a shoulder injury I have a hard time doing that now. Using all cream has solved my problem AND improved the scones and biscuits.
    I’ve been doing the cream with my biscuits more and more too. Funny how shoulder and neck issues have led to lighter baked goods eh? ~ MaryJane

17. kimberphi

Oh KAF… you have answered my prayer for Biscoff scones! My only regret, is now the Biscoff secret will be secret no more…

Can’t wait to try this recipe with both the creamy and crunchy spreads. Thanks!!
    I know what you mean. It was very hard to find on the shelf when we first started buying it, so hopefully the supply will not dwindle. ~ MaryJane

18. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

Wow! How have I never tried Biscoff before? I see it all the time in blogs, but never bought it. But, I love scones, so I just might have to. I’ve never bought Nutella either, let alone baked with either. I think it is about time!
    *gasp* I won’t make you turn in your baker’s license yet ma’am, but if you don’t get one or the other in the next 30 days, we may have to write this up as a violation! ;) ~ MaryJane

19. bethwitten

What have you done to me??? I lived a relatively happy life unaware of Biscoff and now…no longer. When I first read the recipe I wondered what it was because I had never heard of it. So I googled and I of course had to try it out myself. Living in Boston it wasn’t very difficult (thank goodness). I just walked over the the store on my lunch break and now I am hooked :). I will need to make some of these scones this weekend if my jar makes it that long muwahahaha.
    Susan Reid in our test kitchen once called me “an evil, evil woman” after I gave her caramel chocolate popcorn. Guess this just bumps up my street cred a little bit more. ~MaryJane

20. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

Just bought some Biscoff. Wow! So that is what I have been missing all this time. It is crazy good. I also love how it is called the European alternative to peanut butter. I can’t imagine a sandwich made out of Biscoff…wait maybe I can.

21. Barbara in the Upper Valley

I think that you are evil! I found it at CVS in Hanover… A benefit of a college town. Too good… i had to open the jar in the parking lot JUST to make sure it was okay.

English muffin with half pb and half biscoff for breakfast.
    I am so there! Thanks for the tip, Barbara! Elisabeth

22. SheenaC

I had forgotten all about these biscuits. Then I saw this post, and the memory of eating them came back. I can’t wait to try these scones. FYI: I found the biscuits and the creamy and crunchy spread at Cost Plus World Market. Hope that helps. Thanks for another great read and recipe!
    Thanks for the information about Cost Plus World Market! Elisabeth

23. AnneMarie

I FIGURED IT OUT !!!! I finally found some of these cookies locally and have been trying to figure out the flavour for a week!!! It’s shoo fly CAKE! Even the ingredients match! (OC in different proportions so you get a cookie instead of a cake, or in one case a pie) But it’s the same exact taste as a mouthful of childhood with that cinnamon struessel topping!!! YAY!!!!!

24. glpruett

When I first read this blog, I went on the Amazon site and ordered two jars of Biscoff spread immediately so I could make these scones. I had a friend over for tea today, and these scones just might be the best thing I’ve ever eaten on a tea table! And I’m a veteran tea person! Seriously, the texture, the flavor, just everything about them is fantastic.

After I mixed the dough and shaped and cut it, I did freeze the scones for about an hour before baking. They did great, and now I have four more unbanked scones waiting in my freezer for whenever the craving strikes! Thank you so much for another great recipe!