Skillet flatbreads: Super fast, super flexible

flatbread

You, my friend, like to make people smile.

Handing your loved ones a fresh, warm, home-baked treat is a baker’s equivalent of a novelist submitting a manuscript for publication. For us, hearing “OH, my goodness, that’s delicious!” is the equivalent of a writer hearing “Here’s your Pulitzer Prize.” Or maybe…

…with the Olympics just behind us, it’s the same as winning that medal. You feel the pride in your hard work, the joy of accomplishment, the warmth of knowing your work makes others happy. It’s all good.

I know for me, being able to walk into the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon, when the family is hanging around watching the game, or working on projects, and whipping up something warm and satisfying gives me absolute joy. Puttering about gathering ingredients calms me, yet energizes me at the same time.

Recently I bopped into the kitchen with the recipe for Skillet Flatbreads secure in my head, and within 30 minutes we were gathered around a tray of warm breads, cheeses, garden-fresh tomatoes and other goodies.

Each person lavished on their favorite toppings. We chatted a bit while we ate, my husband, my daughter and her boyfriend, and I. It didn’t take long to finish off the batch, and we slowly melted back to our respective tasks; but those few minutes together were as precious as any ever spent. They were my gold metal, my Agatha award, my Ig Nobel Prize*.

So, let’s get you headed towards the podium, too, with this recipe for Skillet Flatbreads.

The recipe has endless variations, and here we’ll be making the rye version. You’ll find it listed at the bottom of the regular recipe, so don’t panic if you don’t see it until you scroll down.

In a large mixing bowl, place:

*2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

*1 cup Perfect Rye Flour blend (or your favorite rye flour)

*1 1/2 teaspoons salt

*2 teaspoons baking powder

*2 to 3 teaspoons Deli Rye Flavor (optional but very, very good)

Whisk the dry ingredients together well.

Add 1 cup cold water and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or light olive oil.

Blend together until you have a soft dough. It won’t be very smooth like yeast dough, it’ll be more rough, like biscuit dough.

See what I mean? At this point you’re really looking at one giant baking powder biscuit, but the key will be in the frying.

Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.

Use this time to gather your topping ingredients. Here I’ve got red onion, fresh garden tomatoes, softened cream cheese, and chives cut from the plant outside of our test kitchen.

To cook the flatbreads, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and heat until it just begins to shimmer.

Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into rough rounds with your hands. You can, of course, break out the rolling pin, but I found little difference in the cooking and no difference in the texture, so I just go with hand shaping.

Place 2 to 4 rounds in your pan, and fry until they’re golden brown on the underside, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Flip the breads and cook for another couple of minutes until browned on both sides. Remove the hot breads to a cooling rack and repeat to cook the rest of the breads. Add more oil as needed, to keep the breads from sticking and to aid in frying.

Ring the dinner bell and have the gang come on the run to eat these breads while they’re still hot. As my husband would say, “Pardon my boardinghouse reach” as you pass, grab, and gather the goodies for your personal version of heaven on a plate.

All the goodness of a hearty rye bagel without hours of work, and without turning the oven on, either

I kind of hate to tell you just how good this was. It would be kind of mean to say how the rye flavor wafted through the air, how the cream cheese started to melt onto the bread, contrasting with the sharp crunch and bite of the onion. Not to mention how the delicate chives burst with flavor as you chewed the soft, fluffy, warm bread. No, I won’t put you through that.

I hope you try all the different versions of this recipe. Hearty rye, spicy pizza dough, plain, and perfect. Even better, share your ideas for versions in the comments below. I haven’t tried any sweet variations yet, so I’d love to hear your ideas. Who knows, I may even send you a medal!

*What is an Ig Nobel Prize? It’s given each year to scientific achievements that first make you laugh, and then make you think. Like proving that needing to use the bathroom affects your decision-making; or that fleas living on dogs will jump higher than fleas living on cats. Long live science!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Skillet Flatbreads.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. dgrehn

You are a lifesaver, MaryJane! I bought some pastrami smoked salmon at the KAF celebration this past Saturday, and I had it yesterday with my one serviceable bagel, some cream cheese and home-grown tomato. YUMMY!! (Thanks to the nice lady standing behind me in line for the idea.) I’ve got all the ingredients to make these, so my salmon doesn’t have to wait. Off to the kitchen I go!!!!
    Wonderful! I’ve made these so many times lately. I love the artichoke dip at the KAF store, bet it would make a great bread spread. mmm, mmm all the good ideas! ~ MaryJane

2. Holly

Could the flatbread be made with self rising flour?
    We have not tested it, Holly, but I see no problem as it is pretty straight forward. Just remove the baking powder and salt in the recipe. Because our self-rising flour is made from a lower protein flour, the dough may not need as much cold water to bind and may spread a little more. We would love to hear how it goes, Holly. Elisabeth

Hi Holly, I did give these a try with self rising flour, and the protein level is a bit too low to get a good sturdy flatbread. I’d stick with the AP flour on this one. ~ MaryJane

3. sharan123

When I was young and on a day my mother was baking bread, she always made an extra batch of dough. For lunch, she would make rounds like you did but would fry them with a little oil and also butter. We ate them buttered and sprinkled with sugar hot out of the pan. Oh, the memories you have stirred up for me! This sounds like the perfect sunday morning breakfast with some spiced apples on top. Thanks, Sharan
    That sounds delicious, Sharon! I am happy MJ could bring your right back to your childhood. Elisabeth

4. iahawk89

Can I make these on a non-stick griddle with no oil? Trying to save where I can in terms of calories.
    Yes, you could try that. Just keep a close eye on them so they don’t scorch. Go ahead, ask me how I know. ~ MaryJane

5. Cindy Leigh

Beautiful MJ! I have made the flatbreads that accompany the chicken Caesar wrap recipe and loved them. I pressed them thinner so they could be folded in half, and made gyro meat patties with tzatziki sauce. Delicious!!
    Everyone is making me hungry this morning! Now you! Elisabeth

6. o1225selinger238

These sound delicious! I only have rye flour not the perfect rye blend. What would I need to do the adapt the recipe? I have whole wheat and bread flour but do not know the proportions. Thank you
    You can use the rye flour straight instead of the rye flour blend. You may need to adjust the water a little, just make sure it isn’t too sticky or too stiff. ~ MaryJane

7. psantini

I made the Skillet Flat-breads (half-recipe) for dinner tonight with beef stew and they were delicious. I like the fact the recipe is simple, quick and produces a tasty result…much easier than biscuits or muffins. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
    So glad to hear you enjoyed this recipe! Yum! Elisabeth<b.

8. Jane

Can I use buckwheat flour in place of the rye?
    This sounds like a great idea as I love buckwheat flour. I would not use as much buckwheat in this recipe as MJ suggests for our Rye Flour Blend. Buckwheat does not have any significant gluten to really help bind so use only 2-4 T. in place of the All Purpose flour. Have fun! Elisabeth

9. lorrainesfav

MJ, I tried a similar version of this recipe from one of Jacque Pepin’s cookbooks. I just had to make it Italian so I added a 1/4 cup Parmigiano cheese and a bit of dried basil to the dough. I also used olive oil (not EVOO) instead of regular oil. Sprinkled the top with sea salt. I served it with one of my Italian dinner’s in smaller rounds. This is a fantastic way to make homemade bread quick. Thanks again for a great recipe. Lorraine
    Wonderful! I’ve been thinking of brushing w/ olive oil and some smoked sea salt with some sauteed greens. Thanks for the encouragement! ~ MaryJane

10. Skippy

How do these keep if you’re making them for just one and that one doesn’t think it would be advisable to eat all of them at once? Can you make them and freeze them? Or will they just get sad and gummy?
    Hi there,
    Well, we’ve always devoured all of them, so I haven’t frozen any but I think they would freeze quite well. If the size were right, I think you could even reheat them in the toaster for a pop-up fresh treat. ~ MaryJane

11. simpkinsv

These were yummy, a bit like flybread. My 4-year-old grandson loved them. There were a couple left over, so I put ‘em in a ziplock bag and refrigerated overnight, popped into the toaster this morning and they tasted as good as right out of the pan.

12. adawnd69

This looks awesome and I am going to give it a try, but I have to tell you something funny. When I first looked at the title, I though is said “Supper fast, Supper flexible” and my heart leaped for joy! Thanks for great recipes and great products.
    You are very welcome! Don’t we all love super fast and flexible supper recipes?! I bet my eyes would be trained to see the same thing! Elisabeth

13. cakestand

Looks great. Can anyone help me with additional ideas for vegetarian toppings?

I love Indian cooking, with its emphasis on tasty vegetarian offerings. I can see curried chickpeas or cauliflower atop these, perhaps sitting on a thin slice of sautéd tofu. Roasted root vegetables would be nice. Sautéd mushrooms and caramelized onions? PJH

I’d say any topping you would put on a wrap or on polenta would be great on these. It would even make a nice base for a salad. ~ MaryJane

14. MelonNet

These look amazing! I wonder if you could make cute little skillet pizzas with these. Anyone tried it?
    Yes, my DD and her BF (I’m so hip on the lingo) did this last week with BBQ pork and loved it. ~ MaryJane

15. goyaboy

These were great. I actually replaced half the AP flour with White Whole Wheat. I had to adjust the water some but still came out nice. I added slices of Jerk Pork Tenderloin, Pepper Jack Cheese, lettuce tomato and this bread was the perfect match for it.
    That sounds wonderful, just right for a chilly windy night. ~ MaryJane

16. Megan

I have very little food in my house right now, and needed something to eat–quickly. Saw this recipe a half an hour ago, and I already have one in my hand! I added a tablespoon of sugar to the dough, and topped it with cream cheese and apricot preserves. The rest are going into the freezer to be served with some kind of soup at a future date.

We love hearing about recipe success – especially using those ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

17. Vincent

Thank you! It turns out these are also perfect with hummus and other veggie stuff, saved my butt on xmas day with all the stores closed and only a few minutes to get some kind of bread.

I cooked them on a nonstick Foreman/panini type grill without extra oil and they were just fine- even the forgotten ones that got extra crispy.
    I’m so happy that these worked out so well for you. I’ll have to remember the panini version, I bet that makes a lovey crust on them. ~ MaryJane

18. kay

These look great! I was wondering how oatmeal would go with them..could I just add them into the original recipe or should I reduce the amount of flour, or adjust the recipe some other way?

1. Susan Reid

You could substitute some quick oats for some of the flour (I’d start with 1/2 cup). Keep an eye on the water, you may have to adjust it with an extra tablespoon, since oats like to absorb it. Susan

19. Alexis

I made these so many times and love how they taste and so easy quick to make..never fail to satisfy my cravings for bread always.