Cookies for Kids’ Cancer: baking it forward

DSC_3370

“Kids” and “cancer” are two words that should never, ever go together.

Unfortunately – they do. Thousands of kids are diagnosed with cancer each year.

Want to help change this cold, hard fact?

You can – by raising funds for pediatric cancer research.

How? With everyone’s favorite fund-raiser: a bake sale.

Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a nonprofit devoted to funding  pediatric cancer research, suggests one very effective way to raise money is a community bake sale.

To that end, the CKC site offers “tips, tools, and ideas to guide and inspire your bake sale every step of the way.”

Plus, they sell a Bake Sale Supply Kit that includes everything you need to hold your own Cookies for Kids’ Cancer bake sale – including coupons for King Arthur Flour. We’re proud to be one of CKC’s main sponsors.

And to that end, we’ll be holding our own bake sale Saturday, Oct. 27, at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH. Traveling to New England that weekend? Stop by; a large number of KAF employee-owners are spending several days prior to Oct. 27 baking up a storm for this special event.

CKC’s Best Bake Sale Cookbook offers an array of yummy recipes specially suited to bake sales. We highly recommend Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies as a potential best-seller at YOUR bake sale!

We also recommend you try them out first. You know, just to make sure you still love chocolate chip cookies…

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease with non-stick vegetable oil spray.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our photos.

Beat together the following until smooth:

1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Add 1 large egg and 1 large egg yolk, both at room temperature; and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Beat to combine.

BTW, have you tried our new King Arthur vanilla? Its extra-strong, pure vanilla flavor is ridiculously good. And it’s perfect for you active bakers, since it comes in a nice, big 16-ounce bottle.

Add the following to the batter:

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt or 3/4 teaspoon regular table salt

Mix until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix briefly.

Finally, add 3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips. If you don’t buy chips in bulk, feel free to substitute a 1-pound bag of chocolate chips.

Decide what size cookies you want to make.

A teaspoon cookie scoop (2 teaspoons) will make 100 small (2 1/2″) cookies; a tablespoon cookie scoop (4 teaspoons) will make 50 medium (2 3/4″ to 3″) cookies; and a muffin scoop (1/4 cup) will make 20 large, palm-sized cookies – a nice, big size to sell individually.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2″ to 2″ between cookies.

Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown, with slightly darker edges.

Their middles may still look a tiny bit shiny; that’s OK, they’ll continue to bake just a bit as they cool down.

Remove the cookies from the oven, and as soon as they’re set enough to handle, transfer them to racks to cool.

But be sure to sample one before they’re completely cool – a warm chocolate chip cookie is surely one of life’s great pleasures!

When the cookies are completely cool (and not a moment before), wrap large cookies individually; or package 3 to 6 smaller cookies in a bag with a twist of ribbon.

And, if the cookies aren’t bound for a bake sale – enjoy! They freeze very well, so don’t feel obliged to plow through them all at once (though that may very well be your initial desire).

You can also freeze the unbaked balls of dough, and bake as many or as few as you like at a time – for those times when you just HAVE to have a fresh-baked, hot-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookie.

Please read, bake, and review this recipe for Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

comments

1. mamsis

What a great idea – thank you KAF for your generosity and support! My question is about the cookie scoops – why on earth does a teaspoon scoop hold 2 teaspoons, a tablespoon scoop hold 4 teaspoons? I have several scoops with no numbers or markings on them but I know which one I like for cookies or for muffins or for meatballs. Is there a standardization anywhere to use as a guide? It would be nice when writing a recipe to say “use a #10 scoop…” Thanks for the great blog and all of KAF great services and products!

The scoops mimic, in size, the amount of dough one would use back when “drop dough by the tablespoon” actually meant a soup spoon, and a teaspoon was a regular eating spoon. Those traditional sizes don’t equal a measuring teaspoon or measuring tablespoon, and we didn’t want to confuse people. Their foodservice numbers (imprinted on the scoops) are 16 (muffin), 40 (tablespoon), and 100 (teaspoon). Hope this helps – PJH

2. "Paul from Ohio"

New ‘favorite’ cookie. Have made two batches and both disappeared fasterthanyoucanreadthis!

Thanks for sharing PJ – deeeeeeeel e cIous! Perfect too. I know I know, not to use that word, but they are so amazing exactly as written. I heartily endorse the 3 cups of chips as I didn’t have that much in the cupboard for the first batch, but added all of them on the 2nd. Oh Yeah. I heartily endorse that many chips.

3. JuliaJ

Can you give us an idea of the cookie ball diameter for the various size cookie scoops, for those of us without cookie scoops, or who still eyeball the size of cookie dough balls?

Thanks!
    Yes, and here you are:
    The Teaspoon scoop, item 5638, is 1 1/16″ wide. The Tablespoon scoop, item 5639, is 1 3/8″ wide. The Muffin scoop, 5640, is 2 1/4″ wide. Hope that helps, Julia! Elisabeth

4. "Teresa F."

I am quite sure, from looking at those photos, that I do indeed still like chocolate chip cookies. Especially those with some oatmeal in them. I can almost smell them.

Teaspoon and tablespoon scoops are some of the best investments in kitchen equipment. I have a small kitchen and so limit the range of gagets, but they do come in handy for many situations.
    You are right about that! I resisted for years from getting any scoops and finally got the T. scoop. Now, I really need to get the teaspoon scoop for those times when you just need a little cookie! Elisabeth

5. kathichild

I am so glad I read this blog! First reason, I’m looking for great cookie recipes for gift-giving and second, I’ll be in Norwich on October 27 and I bet I’ll get even more great ideas from the bake sale! Plus a little hands-on tasting!

6. "Lauri @ MyPinnedLife"

I really like that you show the cookie scoops and the different size cookies they make. It is really helpful. Because each cookie spreads a little differently, I think I will take pictures of different cookies I make and show the sizes of them. That would be a good reference for when I have to make a lot of cookies. I have been baking for a Cookies for the Cure bake sale at my local bank. We do it every Friday in October. It is a lot of fun!
    I I also like the pictures provided in this blog. I never thought I would be a cookie scoop consumer, but they are so handy! Now, I need the teaspoon scoop! Elisabeth

7. elianeo

The first I made these I discovered we were out of oatmeal after I had already creamed the butter and ended up substituting the 1 cup of oatmeal for 1 cup of granola. They tasted great and made the texture very crispy, but I found it to be too sweet – can I reduce the amount of sugar without effecting the texture? We loved the flavor that the granola imparted!

I would try and reduce the sugar by 1/3rd and see how it works!-Jon

8. Denise

1 – Can I substitute the KAF Gluten Free flour?
    2 – Also, cookie recipes usually state Quick Oats. This recipe states either Quick Oats OR Old Fashioned Oats can be used here. I just want to double check that either can be used.
    These sound yummy; but I’ve recently found I have to avoid gluten. This is making baking a challenge for something my family will like, too.

For GF cookies, it’s best to use a tried and true GF recipe. If you want to adapt a traditional recipe to GF, consider using 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum for every 1 cup flour. This recipe is written so using either oatmeal you’ll have both fiber and chew! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

2. jennifer J-W

I decided to make mine using both types of oats since I have each on hand. I used about 2 ounces of old fashioned and 1 1/2 ounces of quick. They came out great.

9. Gary

I’m interested to gild the lily and add a bit of orange flavor to these cookies. Any recommendations whether to use orange extract, candied orange peel, or both? Thanks.

Both can be used and will provide slightly different orange flavor. The orange peel will also offer a chewy texture and additional sweet flavor. Jon@KAF

10. Marsha Baer-Dennis

My husband LOVED these cookies! I followed the suggestion of using half butter and half Greek yogurt. I also used Creme de Menthe chips and 1/3 c. of shredded coconut…more calories??? BUT awesome taste! These will not last long

That does sound amazing, Marsha! And doesn’t the yogurt make up for the extra calories? Barb@KAF

11. Donna K

I make these all the time and they are a great hit. I like to use 2 cups of dark chocolate chips and one cup of mini chips.

12. GrammaR

I just made these for the first time and they are fabulous !! Certainly a keeper recipe. Nice soft cookies – I added chopped nuts and will add other fruits, etc. next time.

It sounds like you may have had too much flour. Be like a carpenter and measure twice, then cut or mix once. You can adjust the consistency of the dough by adding a bit of milk or water at the end if the cookies seem dry. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

13. Sandra Roth

My mother in law, more than 35 years ago, presented me with this exact recipe (using King Arthur flour), and letting me know they were her son’s favorite cookie. I have made them for bake sales and gifts, and it is still beloved by everyone – using the original recipe and with a multitude of variations including mini chips, dried cranberries, and chopped dark chocolate. She used a teaspoon, but I use the KA scoops so each cookie will be the same size and have made all sizes. This is truly the perfect recipe!

14. Leslie Sands

I haven’t seen mention of the addition of toasted walnut pieces. PJ, did you test the recipe using toasted walnuts? If so, would you suggest 1/2 cup, 3/4 cup, or 1 cup? If not, what do you think about using walnuts for extra flavor and nutrition?

We haven’t tried it with the walnuts, but it sounds great! Add about 3/4 cup to the recipe. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

15. Kelly

I put the oatmeal in the food processor and ground the oatmeal to a course flour. The cookie is delicious without the extra chewy oatmeal texture.
    I will definitely make these again!

16. "John & Linda"

Since I also like raisin oatmeal cookies as well, can I substitute raisins for chocolate chips, or does that require other recipe adjustments? This recipe is exceptional!
    John

1. Susan Reid

Yes, raisins can stand in for chocolate chips very nicely. No other substitutions necessary. Susan

17. Shari Z

I can’t wait to try this recipe! We love anything with chocolate and oats. I may have to add some raisins to the mix. Since I’ve never frozen cookie dough before, I’d love to get your recommendation on doing this. Thanks!

Sure thing! Scoop the cookies out, closely packed, onto a sheet tray and freeze solid. Remove and put in plastic bags and refreeze. When you need a cookie (or two, or three..), heat the oven, pull out the cookies, and bake from frozen. They’ll take a minute or two longer, but will be just lovely with some milk. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

18. MGW960W

I wanted to make these a tad more nutritious, so I substituted one cup of KAF white whole wheat flour for one cup of the AP. Knowing that the WWW would need a bit more moisture, I put in the extra egg white also. (And because I hate to waste ingredients…) They took a little longer to bake than I expectted and taste great, but I’m wondering if my solution was the best one. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

19. aelkbaker

What a great basic recipe that you can really turn in to your “own.” I substituted applesauce for half the butter and King Aurther whole wheat flour for half the regular flour. Then I halved the chocolate chips and added toasted pecans! It worked well…very yummy!

And I bet they’re one of your top fund-raisers, right, Annie? Thanks for baking for a good cause – PJH

20. Tna

I have been making these cookies for years the only difference is I also add 1 cup of rice krispies and 1 tbsp of flavored coffee creamer. they have been a family favorite for years.