Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies: brownie points

This recipe was born of desperation.

And a full measure of devotion.

With a soupçon of despair…

Despair at the fact that Girl Scout cookies are only available during a certain window of time each year.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. And I’m sure that’s why, when my last Thin Mint is finally gone from the freezer, those hallmark GS cookies suddenly vault to the top of my “must have” cookie list.

Sure, Chocolate Peppermint Snaps taste remarkably like Thin Mints; but without that thin sheen of satiny chocolate coating, a Snap experience doesn’t hold a candle to that of a frozen Thin Mint.

And Thin Mints aren’t my only favorite; my allegiance to chocolate-mint is matched by that to peanut butter-oatmeal, in the form of a crunchy peanut butter/oat cookie filled with creamy PB icing: the Do-Si-Do.

The Girl Scouts’ description of these cookies – “crunchy oatmeal sandwich cookie with creamy peanut butter filling” – doesn’t begin to cover the serendipitous relationship between sweet/nutty oats and salty/nutty PB, and the perfect textural juxtaposition of crunchy/crumbly cookie on either side of soft, creamy filling.

A cookie this good shouldn’t be relegated to a couple of short months of the year. Which is why I set out to clone the Do-Si-Do – with some success [head modestly bowed].

OK, it’s not EXACTLY the same cookie; my version doesn’t have that signature crunchy-unto-crumbly texture the Scouts’ does. But they’re close; like those Chocolate Peppermint Snaps, they’re a delicious stand-in for the real thing – until next spring rolls around.

(And, hey – non-traditional though it is, the chocolate fudge-filled version ain’t bad, either.)

Are you a Do-Si-Do devotée? Then you’ll want to try these cookies – just in time for the holiday cookie swap.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

Did you know that by clicking anywhere on this block of pictures, you can enlarge them to full size? Go ahead, give it a try; it’ll work for any of our photos.

Combine the following ingredients, beating until smooth:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter, smooth or chunky
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add 1 large egg, beating to combine.

Stir in the following:

1 cup quick rolled oats (not instant)
2/3 cup (2 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

If the dough seems too crumbly to work with easily (it should hold together in a ball), add water by the teaspoonful until it’s completely cohesive.

Drop the dough by the heaping teaspoonful onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2″ between them. A teaspoon cookie scoop works well here.

Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass dipped in sugar, flatten each cookie to about 1/4″ thickness, about 1 1/2″ diameter. If you’re a fan of the popular sweet/salty flavor combo, sprinkle each cookie with the tiniest amount of extra-fine salt (or to taste; you know your own tolerance for saltiness).

Bake the cookies for about 12 to 14 minutes, until they’re a medium golden brown.

Remove them from the oven, and as soon as they’ve cooled enough that you can move them, transfer them to a rack. Once they’re completely cool, wrap airtight; they’ll soften if left unwrapped.

Decide which type of filling you want to use. Each recipe makes enough to fill ALL the cookies. However, if you want to make half fudge-filled, half PB-filled cookies, simply halve each of the following filling recipes.

Fudge first.

Combine 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips and 6 tablespoons half & half in a small, microwave-safe bowl; or in a small saucepan. Use fat-free half & half, if desired; it’s fine. Also, it’s fun to use flavored liquid coffee creamer; French vanilla or caramel are tasty choices for either filling.

Heat until the half & half is steaming. Remove from the heat, and stir until the chips have melted and the filling is smooth; reheat briefly if necessary.

To make peanut butter filling, mix the following until smooth; a small food processor works well here.

1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
heaping 1/2 cup peanut butter
5 tablespoons milk or half & half

If you’re not using a food processor, sift the confectioners’ sugar before stirring it together with the peanut butter and milk or half & half.

Spread the filling on half the cookies. Again, a teaspoon cookie scoop works well in portioning out equal amounts of filling. Top with the remaining cookies.

The cookies can be a bit crumbly, so either press the top cookie onto the filling firmly but GENTLY; or gently flatten/spread the filling to the edge of the bottom cookie before adding the top cookie.

These cookies are best filled the same day they’ll be served; the filling tends to soften the cookies with time. Cookies can be baked and frozen, then thawed just before you prepare the filling, if you like.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies.

comments

1. Brenda

Might have to try these! Would baker’s ammonia help in the crunch department? Do-Si-Dos are also my favorite GS cookies, but my all-time favorite was the granola cookies they had for a few years.

Oh, they’re crunchy enough, Brenda – iut’s just that once you fill them, they gradually soften; and baker’s ammonia wouldn’t help with that… Gosh, I don’t remember the granola cookies – have you ever tried to clone them? PJH

2. madreddog

I have a love/hate relationship with time of year. I love baking but hating having to limit how much I eat. I make cookies for the women in my office for their holiday gift. I usually make about 10 different cookies. My feeling is who needs more stuff? Okay, the cookies add more body stuff but it is so much more fun to make something from the heart than buy something. I have a feeling these will be one of the 10 cookies this year, especially with the chocolate filling. Thx

3. eleyana

Lol, I was just going to say, I’ve never had a Do-Si-So but they do sound like Pirate Cookies. (Which I’ve never had either but have seen posts for.) I love me some plain traditional PB cookies straight out of the freezer and dipped in milk. But I sure wouldn’t turn these away!! ;)

4. Brenda

The problem is, it was so long ago (25-30 years maybe, and probably only for 2 or 3 years?) that I don’t remember enough specifics to even begin to attempt to clone them.

Oh, THAT long ago. Gee, Brenda, I think you’ve been enjoying GS cookies almost as long as I have! :) PJH

5. RJ

These look great! Any reason why I couldn’t eat them as non-sandwich cookies (except for the fact that the fillings are equally as delicious?) ;-)

Up to you, RJ – filing or not, they’re pretty yummy… Enjoy – PJH

6. Cindy Leigh

Aww… PJ, from the mother of a Daisy-to-Ambassador, Gold Award recipient Girl Scout, thanks for loving those GS cookies!!
    I agree with you on Thin Mints, and wow those Samoas are awesome, too!

7. Nutrilisa

These sound great! I have not been able to bake for the past couple of weeks due to no power after Sandy! I so look forward to baking and finally have power again! This will be my first choice! Thanks for the wonderful recipe and blog. Regards to all at KAB!

8. Stevie1964

Toast the oats before adding to the dough. I have been making faux Girl Scout Peanut Butter Cookies for years. I too longed for the GS cookies throughout the year and figured out my own recipe. It is similar to the one posted here but I toast the oats and it makes a big difference in the texture.
    Spread oats out onto a baking sheet, toast at 325° for 9-12 minutes. Check often, don’t let them get too brown or burn! As soon as you smell them you know they’re toasted. Ovens vary, watch carefully.
    dh

9. "Trudy H."

These sounded so good that I decided to make them for an anniversary party. However, they were so crumbly that trying to flatten them caused them to just crumble. I ended up leaving them in the shape of the scoop and just drizzling some melted chocolate over them as they baked in the scoop shape. Did not spread during cooking at all.
    I’m sorry for the difficulty. Your dough was too dry and was likely due to a measuring error. Here is how we recommend measuring flour by volume. ~Amy

10. rochelle_keefer

These are amazing. Do-si-dos are my favorite GS cookie so I saw this and headed straight to the kitchen. All I had was natural peanut butter which I think made the dough crumblier than it should have been, but the taste was great. And the peanut butter filling? I may have eaten some of it with a spoon… Thanks for this clone recipe! Now I don’t have to wait a year in between my do-si-dos!

11. RJ

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I made these today and these are dangerous…dangerous as in I was eating my 5th cookie before I knew it! :-). Thanks, as always, for a stellar recipe!!

12. kaf-sub-ikandanse

I made these cookies today. I have been baking since I was a teenager, even doing a stint as a pastry baker at a local bakery, so I have done a few cookies. These cookies are the best cookies I have EVER made or tasted, as RJ says, they are “dangerous,” even illegal. I baked them 11 minutes they were perfect. I scooped them and only got 17 sandwiches, yummy. Thanks for this gem.
    Illegal! That’s it! I need to try these and find out what everyone is talking about here. Happy baking! Elisabeth

13. annseams

These sound really good. I love peanut butter cookies and oatmeal cookies. I hope this will make the best of both worlds. I wanted to print the recipe but the link to the print version seems to be broken. I guess I”ll have to try to read it on my iPod.

Ann, try this link to the print version again. It seems to be working – no need to read from your iPod! Good luck – PJH

14. sophmorr

I made these last week with the peanut butter filling and sent them to a friend. He told me that do-si-dos don’t even come close. I agree. King Arthur — you nailed it!
    PJ has a knack for replicating those classic favorites, doesn’t she? We are lucky to have her around. ~Amy

15. mem2387m

I made these with the fudge filling for my Christmas tea and they were a huge hit! I’m looking forward to trying them with the PB filling as do-si-dos are my favorite GS cookies.
    I made them ahead of time (with chunky pb), scooped them onto a cookie sheet and froze them. I defrosted them in the fridge then flattened them with the sugared bottom of my food processor pusher.

These are best served the day they are made and filled. For longer storage, it would be best to refrigerate the cookies.~Jaydl@KAF