Easy Fudge: Microwave your way to magic in minutes

PumpkinFudge

Would you believe I live about 45 minutes away from the Guinness World Record’s longest candy counter in the world? Would you believe I don’t go there for the candy? For me, it can be all about the fudge…

Let me just say that yes, folks, the longest candy counter in the world (an impressive 112 feet!) is in Littleton, NH. It’s in a lovely shop called Chutters, and it’s a twice-yearly destination for our family. We hit the door with an excited “See you in a bit” and head for a paper sack and a glove, then off to open jars of sweet sugary goodness. The candy is pay by the pound, so you pick your favorite treats and pay at the end.

My personal bag (hands off!) is chock full of licorice Scottie dogs, BB bats, sour cherry balls, Sixlets, and a couple of flavored Tootsie Rolls. My husband will choose an assortment of hot cinnamon candies and I don’t even try to keep up with what the kids we’ve brought along get.

My true love at Chutter’s, though, is their fudge counter. I don’t mind waiting in line; there are always plenty of free samples, and folks from all over the country to chat with. Oh yes, and don’t let me forget to mention the buy-one-pound-get-a-half-pound-free offer. Music to my ears, that offer.  I fill my box with penuche, maple walnut, chocolate mint, and something called Tiger’s milk, a peanut butter creation that’s beyond-words delicious.

Alas, I can’t go to Chutter’s every day. So in between visits, I get my fudge fix at home. Confectioners will say that this quick version isn’t true fudge, and I agree. But it certainly is a quick way to get creamy, flavorful candy that’s gift-worthy during any season.

Ladies and gentlemen, fire up those microwaves: it’s time to make Easy Microwave Fudge.

Place 2 cups of your chips of choice in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat on high for 1 minute. Here I’ve used 1 cup of chocolate chips, and 1 cup of green mint chips from our local grocery store.

*UPDATE* Some folks had trouble with the fudge setting up with the original measure of 1 1/2 cups of chips. After more testing, I  found that increasing the chips did not hurt the fudge in any way, and even the bargain chocolate chips I used set up fine. So, the measure has been increased to 2 cups of chips. Thanks everyone for your input!**

Remove from the oven and stir well. If you have many unmelted chips, return to the microwave and heat for another 15 to 20 seconds, or until all the chips are glossy and losing their shapes.

Pour in one 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir to combine. Cut 2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces, and scatter over the top of the fudge.

Return to the microwave for another 30 to 45 seconds. Stir again, adding 1 teaspoon vanilla. The fudge will be getting thicker at this point.

Now’s the time to add chips, dried fruits, nuts, etc., or a few drops of your favorite flavoring. I’m leaving this chocolate-mint version as-is for now.

Pour/scrape the fudge into a parchment-lined 8″ square pan, and gently spread to fill the pan evenly.

If desired, sprinkle additional toppings on. I love the look of green mint chips on dark fudge. Plus, it gives the taster an easy way to identify the flavor at a glance.

Pop your tray of fudge into the fridge for at least 2 hours, to firm up.

Once your fudge is chilled, cut into small squares and serve. Ah, the velvety smooth goodness that awaits!

Chocolate not your thing? How about a blast of butterscotch and pumpkin?  Use 2 cups butterscotch chips instead of chocolate.

After microwaving and stirring in the condensed milk, add 1/4 cup pumpkin purée, 1/2 cup diced nuts, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and a few drops of pumpkin flavor.

Here I poured the final fudge into a round paper baking pan. In hindsight, I wouldn’t go this route again. The fudge didn’t want to release from the pan easily, and the pieces got squashed.

If you want to offer a tray of fudge for gift giving, use your metal pans to chill the fudge, then cut and place in the paper pan for gifting.

A little squished, but still delish!

In the two days that I tested these fudge variations we made and ate the following: chocolate, chocolate walnut, chocolate mint,  and butterscotch pumpkin. We didn’t quite get to chocolate peanut butter cup, chocolate caramel, chocolate chile, and chocolate Oreo; but I’m sure you, our intrepid fellow bakers and confectioners, will soon be posting your comments below on the sensational swaps you make. Can’t wait to see them all!

Please make, rate and review our recipe for Easy Microwave Fudge.

Check out our other candy-making blogs.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Cindy Leigh

Oh darn. Now you did it. My secret for perfect fudge is out! And people think I slave over it all day!!
    I’ll tell you my creative mix-ins later.
    Sorry to blow the whistle on you, lady. Can’t wait to hear about the magical flavors you weave. ~ MaryJane

2. ImElle

I love Chutters! We’ve only been a couple of times, but yes–it’s so much fun. And their fudge is fantastic. I’m a total sucker for fudge. I’m going to try this recipe for the holidays–it’ll be fun coming up with flavor combos.

Thanks for sharing!
    Hey, wouldn’t it be fun to have a KAF-Fudge Lovers meetup at Chutters some day? Yeah fudge! ~ MaryJane

3. ImElle

Oh my gosh, yes! And you know, it’s also the only place I’ve ever found decaf chocolate covered espresso beans. Love those. Oh, I can almost taste the fudge. Would be a fabulous breakfast.
    Hey, no fairs! How come I can’t have fudge for breakfast! :( ~ MaryJane

4. Marri

Love love love Chutters! I grew up in the area and whenever I go back to visit my parents, we make a stop there.

Can’t wait to try this fudge recipe!
    So very, very yummy. Have a great time next time you go a-candying. :) ~ MaryJane

5. jronde

Was looking for an “easy” fudge recipe… will skip the mint! I may be one of the few people in the world that mint does not like! Will try it with dark chocolate and white or maybe milk chocolate!
    Even without the mint, I’m sure you’ll find many, many great combinations. Can’t wait to hear about your creations! ~ MaryJane

6. breadhotmomma

I tried to make this same fudge recipe one year with All white chocolate chips and dried cranberries (my favorite combo) and it wouldn’t set up. Any suggestions?
    I’m wondering if it’s the chips. If they have too much lecithin , they won’t work out well. You might want to try again with a white chocolate bar, or such. ~ MaryJane

7. dmhouse

I made a recipe similar to this but used Andes baking chips along with the Callebaut semi-sweet chips that I ordered from KA. After adding the sweetened condensed milk I added 2 tsp of hazelnut oil. While the fudge is setting up nicely in the refrigerator, crush hazelnut into pieces (any texture you desire) Before slicing, sprinkle the hazelnut pieces on the fudge. If you like Ferrero Rocher you will love this recipe. As always, thank you King Arthur Flour for another fabulous recipe.
    umm, I think my coworker just gave me the hairy eyeball for drooling on my desk. Thanks for sharing! ~ MaryJane

8. Sherry

The secret is out! This is MY secret recipe too…always creamy…never sugary.

I line a Pyrex pan with foil, smoothing as much as possible, leaving “handles” overhanging. After it chills, I lift the foil out, peel it back, and cut the fudge into squares. You could probably do the same thing with your round paper pan.
    What a great idea! I never thought to line one of the paper pans. Thanks! ~ MaryJane

9. AJQ

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ve been having a problem with my son’s favorite Pumpkin Fudge recipe this year and was looking for version that did not call for standing and “stirring constantly” for several minutes! I can stand for that long but need to be moving or my hip gets very achy. Love the different options. I have some toffee crunch bits that are crying to be used!

Glad you like this! I’m sure you’ll create some tasty fudge!! Best, Kim@KAF

10. Stephie

I make a variation of this “fudge” every year, it’s always a hit. To me it’s like a soft chocolate bar, and if you use really good chocolate, then it’s the absolute best ‘fudge’ ever! I never mess with the real kind (though it’s delicious!), this one always comes out perfectly.
    I’m sure that no one will ever chide you, as long as you keep serving fudge. :) ~ MaryJane

11. kacheson

Any ideas on how to get a vanilla base flavor? I know there are lots of white chocolate-type bits and bars, but I’d love to try this with a vanilla base and some chai spices added in. Oooh, or maybe using Fiori di Sicilia in place of vanilla extract and then adding in just cardamom?

If you want to get away from using white chocolate (which, if you have a high quality white chocolate bar, makes for a great base. Just be sure it’s lecithin content is low!), you’ll also have to abandon the microwave. Vanilla fudge is best made on the stove (having worked on an island that specialized in fudge making, I am VERY familiar with this process–it needs to be cooked carefully!) and you’ll want a very trusty thermometer. Martha Stewart’s vanilla fudge recipe is actually very straightforward and easy to follow. I think you’ll find success with this! http://www.marthastewart.com/332821/vanilla-fudge Best, Kim@KAF

12. "Niki Baker"

This looks great!! I was noticing that in the blog post it calls for 2 cups of chips but when I clicked over onto the recipe link at the bottom to get the printable recipe it calls for 1 1/2 cups of chips. I was wondering which would be correct and also wondering if you can add actual peanut butter to the recipe or should I just use peanut butter chips? Thanks so much!
    Sorry, the recipe is correct, and I’ve updated the blog now. Sorry for the confusion. I think peanut butter chips would work out just fine. ~ MaryJane

13. Nancie

I have been making this fudge recipe for years. My grandmother loved it so much, she would stop by on her birthday to pick it up. She couldn’t even wait for me to cut it into cubes, she would just take the slab of fudge with her. Then when she got home, she stashed it and only shared with her favorite people. I use Dark chocolate chips and add in 2 cups of mini marshmallows, when microwaving the chips and this will make it extra creamy, tricking all into thinking you really slaved on the fudge. It’s the most asked for item at Christmas, around this house!
    That is awesome Nancy, thanks so much for sharing. I hope I’ll get a few minutes of free time to be able to make some for our Christmas goodies. ~ MaryJane

14. homemaker8541

I’ve wanted an easy recipe like this for a long time! I’m a little confused, though – I went to the recipe you linked, and the quantities there are a bit different than what you used. 2 cups of chips vs. 1 1/2 cups, and an 8″ square pan vs. a 9×5″ loaf pan.

Can you help us reconcile the differences, please?
    Bad MJ, naughty MJ! The 1 1/2 cups of chips is correct. You can use either pan, depending on how thick you like the fudge. Sorry for the confusion. ~ MaryJane (writing from the doghouse)

15. Cindy Leigh

My recipe does not call for butter. Just 2 cups chips and one can condensed milk. Here are my variations:
    White chocolate hazelnut (add nuts and hazelnut flavor)
    Cape Cod (white chocolate, dried cranberries, walnuts, orange oil)
    Chunky. Like the candy. Milk chocolate, raisins, cashews, peanuts
    Cookies n cream. White chocolate and chopped Oreos.
    Piña colada. White chocolate, piña colada flavor (or separately, coconut and pineapple flavor), chopped dried cherries and pineapple.
    Maple walnut. Half white choc, half butterscotch chips. Maple flavor. Toasted walnuts
    Chocolate covered cherry. Milk chocolate, chopped dried cherries, cherry and almond flavor.
    Heath bar crunch. Milk chocolate, chopped almonds, chopped heath bar bits or chopped homemade toffee, English toffee or caramel flavoring
    Pistachio. White choc., pistachios, pistachio flavor
    Reese’s cup. One layer of choc fudge, scatter peanuts on. Add a second fudge layer made with peanut butter chips
    Eggnog fudge. White choc, eggnog flavoring, dash of grated nutmeg, touch of rum or brandy flavoring.
    Butterscotch crunch. Butterscotch chips, crushed butterscotch candies. Touch of butterscotch flavoring, especially if you’re using white choc, if you don’t have butterscotch chips
    Mint chip. White choc, mint flavoring, crushed candy canes.
    Almond joy. White choc, coconut flavor, chopped almonds. Press regular choc chips onto the top as soon as you pour the hot mixture into the pan.

Cindy, you’re absolutely killin’ us! Wow… can’t wait to try some of these. I can see some stocking-stuffer packages taking shape. Thanks! PJH

16. pweeks59

I have made this “fake” fudge for over 20 years and no one has complained it’s not real fudge. My family’s favorite was always chocolate peanut butter. Use chocolate chips for one half of the recipe, peanut butter chips for one half of the recipe, and layer in the pan.

Now THAT sounds absolutely delicious. Perfect for those Reese’s Cups fans, right? Thanks for sharing – PJH

17. Cindy Leigh

Re the comments above about white chocolate, I have found that just a bit more is required to make it set up like the semi sweet chocolate does. But I do follow the same process.
    And as someone mentioned above, I do line my baking dish with foil or parchment, and after chilling, remove fudge from pan with the parchment or foil, peel it off, and cube up with a long knife. The curved scraps around the edges are our “taste testing” pieces!
    I’ll often put pieces in small foil papers, like mini cupcake papers, and package in candy boxes you can get from the craft store, and put a note inside indicating the flavors/ingredients.

Great ideas, Cindy – thanks, as always, for sharing. PJH

18. argentyne

Hmmm. Perhaps I will try this. I’m not a big fudge fan because almost all of it is always grainy and not smooth. My sister adores fudge though, and I would like to make something for her.

I’m tempted to try this with a little caramel in there… For Science!

Here’s to science, and the wonderful fudge it’s about to inspire!! :) PJH

19. LovesChocolate

I’ve made a few similiar variations of this in the past, but have never made it in the microwave. I can’t wait to try it!
    My favorite is half semi-sweet chips and half milk chocolate chips with half vanilla extract and half raspberry concentrate.

20. sfroass

I tried the Pumpkin variation. I now have a delicious spoon fudge. Where did I go wrong?

It’s possible that your pumpkin puree was either on the wet side (not all pumpkin is created equal!) OR you might have over-measured the pumpkin a bit. The extra moisture from either would result in something gooey that won’t set! Also, it could be your butterscotch chips–like white chocolate, they can contain ingredients that make them much more gooey than other brands once melted). Also, microwaving the chips a little further could help evaporate some of the excess liquid (OR, try heating the pumpkin a bit and stirring it well to evaporate it’s liquid before stirring into the melted chips! Kim@KAF

21. "Mary Cay"

This fudge, made with semi-sweet chocolate chips and black walnuts (from our tree or one of our neighbors) was one of the two things my Mom fixed for my Dad’s “Anniversary”- of the day he got out of the Army after WWII.The other was a cherry pie.

Mary Cay, “thanks for the memories” – that actually sounds like a tasty combination, walnut fudge and cherry pie! :) PJH

22. Susanne

Hello, I don’t own a microwave…anyideas on how I can still make this fudge? Thanks, Sanni

Sure, Sanni – just substitute a saucepan set over low heat for the microwave. Enjoy – PJH

23. musicmaa

Mary Jane, blog still says 2 cups of chips under one of the photos. Thought you might want to check it again. :)

Can’t wait to try this out. Really looks good. The variations are just astounding!

A small typo on her part, she did in fact mean 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.-Jon

24. amgbooth

I made a similar recipe many times about 25 years ago, but I think it was just the chips and the sweetened condensed milk. You prepared a batch with chocolate chips and spread in a lined jelly roll pan and let it set a bit but not completely. Then you took peanut butter chips and prepared a batch to spread on top. Then you rolled it up like a jelly roll and rolled in chocolate sprinkles. Slice and serve.

Sounds like the making of a very cute fudge based yule log!-Jon

25. "Paul from Ohio"

Hmmmmmmmm. Not 100% on this recipe. Didn’t really set up, at least to look like the photo above. I read the post about the lecitin in the chocolate, not sure how to choose a chocolate that would have the ‘correct’ amount??? I used Toll House Dark Chocolate and Gittauard mint.

I’m thinking a TBL of Instant ClearJel ?????

Was gonna take this to my watercolor class Christmas party, but not sure now….too gooey.

It seems like you’re not the only one with issues on getting fudge to set: I wouldn’t add any Instant ClearJel to the mixture. I would maybe try lowering the amount of condensed milk to provide a little less moisture and making sure to warm the chocolate thoroughly until you notice it starts to thicken after the addition of condensed milk. Hopefully this will help! Kim@KAF

26. ancameni

all i can say is “wow” . so smooth and good. I used a mixture (leftovers from another recipe) of semi-sweet, bittersweet and milk chocolate chips. so good.
    I have read through the comments and i cant wait to try to Ferrero rocher version and i can try the Raphalleo version too
    Glad you found a way to use those leftover chips. I think I’ll start saving my leftovers just for that. ~ MaryJane

27. Gwen

An idea for those having issues with the pumpkin version – Cook’s Illustrated came up with a cool and fast trick for getting extra moisture out of canned pumpkin. Start with four or five layers of paper towel, spread your pumpkin about half an inch thick on the paper towels, top with a few more layers of paper towel and press it all together gently. If the towels are totally soaked add another layer. You’ll find that the pumpkin will not stick to the towels at all, it will peel right off and, voila, instant not so wet pumpkin.

28. MnSue

1- 12 oz pkg of white premium chips
    1-12 oz of your favorite flavor (semi sweet chocolate, butterscotch) chips
    1 cup of favorite ice cream
    Optional: 1 tsp of favorite flavoring
    Topping of choice; nuts, mints, candies, fruit, etc chopped up.

Melt the chips in bowl, stirring every 30 seconds like above, then when all melted add the ice cream.
    My favorite ice cream is the peppermint chip from Schwann’s thrown in. If you use flavored ice cream you can omit the added flavoring above, if desired. Stir well, then pour into a 9×9 pan (waxed paper lined). Sprinkle topping of choice. Refrigerate a couple of hours.

Wow, this sounds different and yummy – thanks so much for sharing here, Sue! PJH

29. sueefo3096

This did not set up well for me. I made the recipe as it was written. The fudge is too soft to cut nicely and doesn’t look like the picture. It is very sticky. I tied putting it in the freezer and it’s still soft. I’m very disappointed. I’ll stick to traditional fudge made on the stovetop. Yes, you have to stir but if you follow the directions exactly it comes out smooth. If I want fudge quickly I’ll use the Marshmallow Fluff recipe. They don’t call it “Never-Fail Fudge” for nothing.
    I’m sorry to hear this didn’t work out for you. I made 4 more batches at home this week, and I have not been able to duplicate the problem of the fudge not setting up. I’ll keep trying to make it fail and will let everyone know if I have success, or in this case failure. ~ MaryJane

30. Julianne

This fudge is super sweet and rich – yummy! My microwave is only 650w and so I cooked the mixture for a little longer than the recipe states. I only had bars of plain chocolate, rather than chips, and I found that 2 cups of chips is equivalent to 350g. I used that amount and it set up just fine. Also, in case it’s of help to anyone, I found that a 397g can of condensed milk is equivalent to 14oz and in terms of volume, it comes out to around 300ml.

Julianne, thanks for your tips – very helpful to hear how others tweak these recipes. Cheers – PJH

31. Jennifer

So easy, I tried to make it with my son its so easy to make but he does not move fast enough to stir in everything before it starts to set! Lucky he was ok with just sprinkling M+M on top and eating it! Maybe next Christmas he will be able to do it on his own less work for this mommy!!! We just use low grade chocolate the kids were fine with it but I can not wait to try it with better quality chocolate. Do you have any ideas on a easy maple walnut version?

We haven’t yet developed our own version of easy maple walnut fudge. If you have a candy thermometer, you could bring 2 cups of maple syrup and 1 of cream to 235 degrees to make fudge. This might not a safe recipe to make with your son, though. ~Jaydl@KAF

32. Yuyu Dewi Anggreini

I need suggestion please. I made a chocolate fudge yesterday, but it wasn’t thick, and it couldn’t be cut. It’s very soft and thin. What’s the problem?

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Hi Yuyu,
      It may be the chocolate that you used. Try melting the fudge in a double boiler over low heat and adding another 1/2 cup of chocolate. Stir together until all is melted, then pour back in the pan. ~ MJ

33. Valerie Condron

I absolutely adore penuche fudge but have been unable to locate one that works as well as my grandpap made. Any suggestions would be amazing-thank you for all the wonderful recipes and instruction. I always know that anything from King Arthur can be trusted.

Hello Valerie! While we do not have a penuche recipe available, I do know of another trusted source you may like. The following recipe was made by Peter Greweling, he is my #1 source for candy. Here is the recipe. Jon@KAF

34. Thriftyredhead

The link for the penuche recipe make by Peter Greweling is not a valid link. I would love to have the recipe it’s my husband’s favorite flavor of fudge.