Pork and Shrimp Asian Dumplings: stock your freezer with flavor

asian-dumplings

She winds up, she sends out her pitch and… SCORE!

No, I  haven’t taken up pitching for the Red Sox; I’m trying to say that I got a new-to-me freezer for my downstairs pantry. Here’s how the play went:

During King Arthur’s recent test kitchen remodel, the old standing freezer was headed to the metal dump unless a good home could be found – and soon. Susan sent me in search of James, and soon he and two others showed up at my desk.

It felt a bit like a late-night meeting of the Sopranos. Plans were made, meeting times arranged, and the guys melted back from whence they had come. Next day, my husband and I whisked the big white box home to our house and I began to fill and fill and fill it.

Two after-Thanksgiving sale turkeys? Check. Big batch of chocolate chip cookie dough? Check.

Mystery author Joanna Fluke has her character label frozen cookie dough “herring” or “lutefisk” to keep prying eyes out. I think I may try that next time.

As soon as a snowy Saturday afternoon hit, I knew it was time to make a batch of Pork and Shrimp Dumplings to add to my freezer stash. Having a stash of dumplings in the freezer is like having gold in the bank. Toss a few into a simple broth, add a few slivers of leftover veggies, and you have an amazing and fulfilling lunch in minutes.

Steam several different flavors and serve with a selection of dipping sauces from mild to palate-numbing, and you have a Friday night movie fest appetizer hit.

Dough for homemade dumplings could not be easier. Just flour and water, and a little time. Fillings are endlessly variable, and once you have the folding method down, you’ll sling out dozens of these little beauties in no time.

Let’s make Pork and Shrimp Asian Dumplings:

Prepare the filling first so the flavors have a chance to blend and marry.

When you choose your pork, look for a little extra fat around the edges. Pork fat in your filling will give it moisture and succulence.

The main flavors of this dumpling filling: pork, shrimp, scallion, garlic, and ginger.

Susan Reid was kind enough to share some of her homemade jarred ginger with me. What a time saver. You can also use our diced or sliced ginger with excellent results. Just avoid powdered ginger, it won’t give you the same depth of flavor.

Here we have:

½ pound boneless pork chops

6 large shrimp, uncooked

2 cloves garlic

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

3 large scallions (aka green onion)

Pulse in the food processor until you have a thick paste, with some visible chunks of meat. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, white pepper, and salt, and pulse to combine.

Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. Be sure to bring to room temperature before filling your wrappers.

In a medium-sized bowl, combine 9 ounces (2 cps + 2 tablespoons) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour and 6 ounces just-boiling water. Stir well with a wooden spoon or spatula. As soon as you can handle the heat, knead the dough until smooth and pliable, adding very little extra flour to keep from sticking.

Place the warm, soft dough into a plastic bag. Seal well and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.

When you remove the dough from the bag, it will be smooth, barely warm, soft, and pliable. The best descriptor I’ve seen calls it “earlobe soft.” (Go ahead, squeeze your lobe, no one will look).

Divide the dough into 1″ balls and flatten them with your fingers into little circles. Keep the dough you’re not using under plastic wrap or a towel to keep it from drying out.

Using a short, thin dowel, roll the balls into thin wrappers. Keep the very center of the circle a little thicker, as this will be the bottom of your dumpling and it needs to be a bit stronger. Turn, roll, turn, roll, until the wrapper is about 3″ across.

Once all your wrappers are rolled, fill each with about 2 teaspoons filling. Play with the amount of filling until you have plump dumplings, but not over-stuffed, ripped ones. You’ll get the hang of it after just a few.

Bring the dumpling edges up over the filling. Pinch together well. You can stop here, and the dumplings will hold together during cooking, but not be very pretty. Adding folds to the dumpling edges will keep them sealed very well, and add to the finished look of your pouches of goodness.

Folding a dumpling is like folding a pleat in your hem when you’re nervous. Pinch the dough with the thumb and first finger of both hands. Move one hand up slightly and the other down slightly, almost like tearing a piece of paper in half.

Use your pointer finger (my left finger in the photo) to push a little beak of dough towards your opposite thumb. Pull your finger out and press the fold of dough together.

Repeat the fold and press across from the center to the edge. Turn the dumpling around and repeat from the center to the edge again. Sure, the first few you do will look a little wonky and lopsided, but keep practicing and you’ll get it.

To freeze the dumplings, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dumplings in rows. They can be close together, but shouldn’t touch. Freeze until quite solid, then remove from the trays and store in zip-top bags or airtight containers for up to 2 months.

To cook the dumplings either fresh or frozen, you can use a veggie steamer, or rig one up in a wide-bottom pan with a good fitting lid. Here I used a 3″ deep pan with a round cake cooling rack in the bottom.

Add 1/2″ water to the bottom of the pot. It shouldn’t touch the bottom of the rack. Add your dumplings and bring the water to a quick boil. Reduce the heat so the water just simmers, and cook your dumplings for 8 to 10 minutes if fresh, up to 13 minutes if frozen. Sacrifice one during the cooking time to ensure the filling is completely cooked and very hot.

Come to Mama!

Serve the dumplings hot with your choice of dipping sauces, or just solo. My friend Ben said he loved the fact that you could bite these dumplings and the filling didn’t fall out like take-out dumplings. The wrapper and the filling stay together, so you can get bite after bite of both.

A dozen dumplings will serve 3 people as appetizers, or two as a main dish, with stir-fried veggies on the side. Store any leftovers (leftovers?) in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Pork and Shrimp Asian Dumplings.

Share your filling and dipping ideas in the comments below. Seriously, my freezer needs a refill, and I need ideas!

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. PlumLeaf

YUM!
    Brings back memories of growing up – mum would make a big batch of these for Saturday lunch. *Sigh – I’ve not made any for my freezer for a looong time. Must make freezer space!

Yes you must! Dumplings are great to have around for a quick lunch or dinner (or snack, no judgements here!)-Jon

2. EllyMae

YUM! I’ve always wanted an amazing dumpling recipe! These look like gyoza (Japanese dumpling) Few quick questions! Can you fry these in a sauce pan for some crisp edges? What about deep frying for even more crispiness? Also, what can you substitute for the shrimp? Cannot wait to make these!!!!

You should be able to pan fry or deep fry these dumplings. As for filling options, you can use any meat or vegetable as a replacement!-Jon

3. EllyMae

Sorry! 1 more question! Can you roll out the dough THEN cut with a biscuit or round cooke cutter? Thanks!

I don’t see why not! However you will have some leftover bits of dough that you will need to roll out again.-Jon

Also, you will want to be careful as the dough will stick to your counter unless lightly floured and frequently lifted/rotated to keep from sticking. You will want to work quickly and keep the dough circles covered so they don’t dry out. The dough dries very quickly, so go easy with the flour. Definitely worth a try, though! Kim@KAF

4. Anne

MJ, another super post! Just one suggestion: in rolling out the wrapper, try using a thicker dowel – maybe five-eighth of an inch in diameter; not too long, maybe eight inches in length. You might find it easier to maneuver and less tiring to the hands.

Susan jars her fresh ginger? I can readily find fresh ginger at the markets here all year round. Sometimes they have big bags of Hawaiian ginger at our local Costco. It would be great if we can find ways to keep them fresh longer. Would Susan be willing to tell us how that’s done?

UPDATE: Susan wrote back: she merely slices up the fresh, peeled ginger and places it in a jar, covered with vinegar. It keeps indefinitely that way–awesome!! I’m all for the simple things, feel free to try both. My recipe below is for a sweeter type, like “gari”, Japanese-style pickled ginger. Also, feel free to use the vinegar from the ginger in vinaigrettes, marinades, etc. Another great tip from Susan! Kim@KAF

To make quick pickled ginger, simply peel and slice up fresh ginger into small pieces. Pack ginger into a jar with little room left. Top up with rice wine vinegar so all ginger is just barely covered, adding 25% sugar (anywhere from 1 Tbs to 1/4 cup depending on how much ginger you slice up and how sweet you like it) and 5% salt (anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 1 Tbs, or to taste). Seal tightly and stir/shake until sugar and salt dissolve.

Alternatively, you can fill the jar with all the ingredients (for measuring purposes) and then dump into a small saucepot. Bring to a simmer until mixture is dissolved and ginger is tender, 2-3 minutes. Then place back in the jar and cover with additional vinegar as needed to cover the ginger. This will keep 2 weeks in the fridge. You can also can the pickled ginger properly (making sure the jars seal tightly!) and keep dry/cool for several months unopened. Once opened, keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Best, Kim@KAF

1. Saule

Or sherry – the sherry can be used in cooking or to make fabulous salad dressings. Or you can just freeze chunks of ginger – peeled or not – and grate them with your Microplane when you need ginger. This works very well, assuming you have your freezer organized well enough to be able to find that frozen ginger when you need it!

5. charliez

Mmm… look delicious!! I know them as Gyozas (Japanese) and love them. One question: if I want to fry them do I steam them or boil them first? Then freeze and fry as needed… Thanks for the recipe!

To fry the dumplings, you will want to steam them first 8-10 minutes as the recipe states. Then simply heat a few tablespoons of a neutral oil in a saute pan (I like to add 2-3 drops of sesame oil for flavor) over medium heat–you want just enough oil to coat the bottom evenly and thinly. Once the oil is hot but not smoking, add the dumplings carefully and cook 1-2 minutes until golden brown on one side.

At this point, you can remove them carefully OR flip over and cook on the other side another 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Be very careful when adding the steamed dumplings as any liquid dropped into the hot oil will spatter! Best, Kim@KAF

6. Teresa F.

Yum, dumplings! I just made a batch of potstickers with beef and they were oh so delicious. The dumplings can be steamed or pan fried and would be wonderful either. Pork and shrimp make a delicious combo! A touch of sesame oil in the filling would also be nice.

The dough for my pot stickers are made exactly the same way as this recipe. I am amazed how resilient it is. I had made the mistake of stacking the rolled wrappers too closely together and left them together for too long (I was trying to get a bunch rolled out to fill). They were inseparable. So, I gathered up the pieces and reshaped them for rolling, again. They were just as pliant as the first time. So in case anyone makes the same mistake as I did, it’s okay just start again. I also mixed the dough in the food processor and finished with some hand kneading. It worked great.

I highly recommended trying this recipe to make your own dumplings. It’s really easy once you get the hang of wrapping. Even it the folding is too tough, just pinch the two sides close and get cooking. They taste just as delicious.

The extras freeze beautifully, too!

Thanks for the great tips, I think I will be making dumplings for dinner tonight after reading all of these comments!-Jon

7. rochelle_keefer

Dumplings are one of my husband’s favorite things. I guess I thought they would be much harder to make so I always buy frozen dumplings at the store. Can’t wait to try these- he will be pleasantly surprised!

I bet he will be, they will be quite a bit cheaper by comparison as well!-Jon

8. meedee

I will try these. I really like you being able to get that freezer. I have a small upright, I would love another. Those dumplings wouldn’t make it to the freezer.
    I always save out a few to eat right away, then freeze the rest. Last night we ate every single one that I had made for our photography session. SOOO good. ~ MaryJane

9. mdeatherage

The article here says 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, but the linked recipe says 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons.

I’m inclined to believe the article because it includes the weight (9 oz), but the two really should match. :-)

Sharp eyes! You’re totally right, it is 2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons, which has now been corrected! Thank you! Kim@KAF

10. Teresa F.

Just chiming in about the dumplings not making it to the freezer. My batch certainly didn’t stay there long. We ate them all up in two nights. They are super delicious. Dumplings and cold weather, the perfect duo!
    I have just a few left, and all of next weekend off. Time for an afternoon of old movies and dumplin’ stuffin’. ~ MaryJane

11. Kay

Dumplings are great! I usually add garlic chives too which go really well with pork! You can mix some corn starch into the filling so that it holds together and has better texture. Also, frying the leftovers (after steaming/boiling) make an excellent snack too! Yumm I’m feeling hungry already.
    I’ve been wanting to try the garlic chive, but only have one source for it, that is about 30 minutes from home. I’ll definitely add it to my list next time I’m near the Asian store. ~ MaryJane

12. Bridgid

“Squeeze your lobe, no one will look.” This had me laughing! I loved it! This recipe looks fabulous. Thank you.

Any thoughts for a recipe for the dipping sauce?

I’ve tried two different sauces, both very tasty: 3 fresh plums cooked down with 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, sprinkle of sugar, 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 cup water: cover and cook down until the halved/pitted plums soften, remove the skins and puree up–thin with water/vinegar to proper consistency and taste.

OR, I like a simple soy dip: 1 tsp fresh-grated ginger (you can squeeze the juice out and discard the solids), 3 tbs soy sauce, a few drops of sesame oil, and 1 tsp ponzu sauce/rice wine vinegar/fresh lime juice. Feel free to add a small sliver of fresh garlic to kick it up. Best, Kim@KAF

YEAH BRIGID, BUT DID YOU DO IT? ;) ~ MaryJane

13. Anne

Thanks so much for the idea of preserving ginger. I’ll try this next time I get that 5-lb bag…

I don’t make dumplings regularly – pizza, bread of all kind, pasta of all kinds are more of the stable from my kitchen. But at times I get the bug and make batches of dumplings. As MJ describes in this post, dumplings freeze rather well. They make a quick meal or a nice snack. Being homemade, they don’t have fillers or unfamiliar seasonings. (I especially like the idea of grinding the meats at home.) Once frozen, I find it easier to cook them simply to dump the dumpings into a big pot of boiling water and cook them until done – as if with ravioli. If the dumplings are somehow stuck together in the freezer, for sure the boiling water will get them separated. Books of Asian cooking often have recipes for boiled dumplings.

Long ago, when I was a kid living in Hong Kong, there was a kind of gigantic dumplings (won-ton) that was often served as appetizer at dinners: The wrapper was about the size of a handkerchief, with just a tiny bit of filling in the center. The dumplings apparently were deep-fried, and were served with a sweet-and-sour sauce in red color. Sometimes the sauce itself was loaded with all kinds of seafood, to be scooped up by the crispy dumpling.

Another less dramatic-looking but very good dumplings I had were those served at a restaurant in Honolulu – the filling was of crabmeat and cheese. Too bad I didn’t find out what kind of cheese was used.

To pan-fry dumplings, traditionally Chinese put freshly wrapped dumplings on a hot griddle or skillet, slightly oiled, over medium heat. Pack them close together but not too tightly, each dumpling with the pinched seam on top and about centered. Because the wrappers have little moisture in them, not much sizzling at this point. Cook the dumplings until they are pale golden brown. (Lift up one or two to check after two, three minutes. Here we want the dumpling not as brown as they eventually will turn to.) Now pour some boiling water over the dumplings and immediately cover the skillet with a tight lid. How much water? Not too much that the dumplings are submerged more than half of a centimeter. Once the water is poured in, there’ll be serious sizzling and a lot of steam trying to escape from the side of the lid. When the sizzling subsides, that means much of the water has been evaporated. Pour in more hot water and once again let the dumplings cook in the steam. Do this a total of three times and the dumplings should be cooked. If not, cook them one more time or until they are done. When they are done, the bottom of the dumplings should be golden brown and crisp, but the rest of wrappers are soft and slightly chewy. Yes, they will be sticking together a bit – that’s why they are often called ‘pot-stickers’. Plate these dumplings on their sides, still stuck together, to show off their golden brown, crispy bottoms! Definitely good when served with a favorite dipping sauce.

Anne, that’s exactly how I cook my dumplings. Love the crispy/chewy combo. Also, I don’t put sugar in the fresh ginger I keep in the frige. I just peel and dice it, or leave whole chunks of peeled fresh ginger in a jar covered with rice wine vinegar or sherry. It doesn’t oxidize and will keep that way indefinitely. Susan

HI Anne,
    Yes, I love to pan fry dumpling too, but I’ve been really into steaming lately for some reason. I’d love to hear more about the crabmeat dumplings. Were they steamed, or pan fried? I’ve made deep fried crab rangoon and LOVE them, but another crab dumpling would be great to have around. ~ MaryJane

14. Susan at King Arthur

If you have a French pastry pin (the tapered kind), it’s ideal for this task. The wider belly in the middle of the pin helps give you the thinner taper edge you’re looking for.

15. Anne

Susan and MJ, thanks so much for your response.

Ginger kept in sherry sounds good to me – I bet the sherry will add favor to the filling, or anything using ginger. Thanks for sharing the tips.

MJ, the crab and cheese dumplings I had in Honolulu (where we lived for nearly two decades) were probably fried. I think it was the cheese in the filling and the dipping sauce that made them so memorable to me. Here, we have abundant of Dungeness crabs when they are in season, and I make crab ravioli. Very different, but so many good recipes and so many choices…

Dumplings, especially the steamed kinds, are an important part of the menu at any dim-sum restaurant. The variety is endless though the pork and shrimp combination here is somewhat ‘classic’. Homemade is the best because we know what goes in them.

Oh, how about making dumplings at home as a group effort? Invite family members, friends and neighbors to pitch in. Split the finished dumplings and we can all stock up our freezers!
    I have a good friend who goes to a Tamalentine’s Day party, where the family makes heaps of tamales to stock the freezer for winter. How about we have DumplinHog Day? Or maybe Dumpling Fool’s Day? ~ MaryJane

16. velkyn

Just the recipe I was looking for in my hunt for new Asian recipes to try. Just made bao (chinese steamed buns) with KA unbleached AP flour and they turned out fantastic.
    I adore bao, and want to post a blog on them some day. I could eat entire batches by myself, but it IS more fun to share. ;) ~ MaryJane

17. Margo, Thrift at Home

wow, these look fab.
    Give them a try and let us know.
    I totally need another batch of these. Just seeing the comments everyday makes me want to eat, eat, eat! ~ MaryJane

18. waikikirie

These look great. Steamed dumplings are my favorite appetizers when we do Chinese. Next time pork chops are on sale, I’ll be making a batch for the freezer. I so love the comment section of blogs. I learn just as much from them sometimes as I do from the recipes. I will be sure to try preserving the ginger the way Susan does. Speaking of Susan…….She has a great recipe for Scallion pancakes. (My DH favorite Chinese appetizer). She did it in a blog about her wedding. Check it out….xoxoxxo
    I finally, FINALLY put the recipe up on the site. It’s here.
    ~ Susan

19. KarenMorrow

We love dumplings here and I’ve been know to use 3lbs of meat and make enormous amounts of dumplings (though using store bought wrappers.) I’m gluten free – and have yet to find a recipe for dumpling wrapper than I like, so I wrap 100 or so for my boys and then freeze a tbs of the dumpling filling on my cookie sheets. They go in separate bags, and separate skillets when I cook them. I’ve tried many of KAF’s Gluten Free recipes and never been disappointed. Now I wait for someone to adapt a dumpling wrapper!

I will certainly suggest it for one of our future Gluten Free projects!-Jon

20. sunnyside

Another way I preserve fresh ginger is to slice it (thin or thick, depending on how I will use it), put the slices or chunks in a freezer container and freeze them. Even if the pieces freeze together, I can usually lever a piece off with the point of a knife. When I need some for a recipe, I take out a piece, peel it, and chop or grate as required while it is still frozen. You can also put a piece in a dish, microwave for a few seconds and then squeeze the juice out with a garlic press to add to salad dressing.

Thanks for the fantastic tip!-Jon

21. "Andrea Nguyen"

Dumplings like these are also spectacular boiled and tumbled in soy sauce, vinegar and chile oil. Those are called shuijiao in Mandarin Chinese and are a favorite in Northern China (eg, Beijing) for the New Year. Thanks for highlighting Asian dumplings, KA!

With the New Year fast approaching, Andrea, this post was very timely, wasn’t it? Your version sounds scrumptious – thanks for sharing. PJH

22. "Andrea Nguyen"

Not sure where my first comment went so let me try to do this again… You can also boil Asian dumplings like these for shuijiao (water dumplings) which are favored in places like Beijing during the Lunar New Year. Cook them like raviolis and tumble the hot dumplings in soy sauce, vinegar and chile oil. Thanks KA for highlighting Asian dumplings,
    omg, omg, omg! It is really you Andrea! I’m a huge fan and I’m tickled pink that you took the time to comment on the blog. Thank you, thank you. And thank you for the tip. I do often boil mine and dash with soy or tamari, but I’ve never tried soy and vinegar. I was counting and I have 6 left in the freezer for a snack, so I’ll definitely be trying it later this week. Next up on my list: char su bao. mmmmm! ~ MaryJane

23. Zanne4848

I second the request for GF wrappers!
    BTW, you can run the dough through a pasta machine and then just cut circles – more consistent thickness.
    I’ve been making Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (Shesimmers site) for all kinds of things that need dipping – maybe that would be good for these too? I usually just use Tamari, rice wine vinegar, a little sesame oil for dipping. Of course, I dribble hot oil on the potstickers first.
    I love to use Sweet Chili sauce for dipping, but I’m super lazy girl and buy mine bottled. So yummy! ~ MaryJane

24. Zanne4848

MaryJane, if you buy a bunch of garlic chives and they still have the roots/ball on the end, just cut that off and put in about 1/2″ -1″ of water and put on your windowsill. In a little while, you’ll have a new bunch started. Pot them up and keep them on the windowsill – no need to drive a long way to get them.
    oooh, had never thought to do that. I should be near the Asian foods store later this week, will see what I can get. Thanks! ~ MaryJane

25. Zanne4848

MaryJane:
    If you make your own Thai Sweet chili sauce, you’ll never buy bottled again. It only takes a couple of minutes to make a bottle’s worth. I just use Fresno chilies.
    On the garlic chives, I forgot to mention that you should cut about 2-3″ off the bottom so it’s not submerged in water (you just want the root in the water). And you can do this with celery, bok choy, romaine etc.
    So, who wants to come cover my desk so I can just go play in the kitchen? I need to make more dumplings, chili sauce, plant garlic chives… honestly, it will be fun! ~ MaryJane

26. yourfavoritegnat

This looks great, cant wait to try it! Thought I’d jump in on the ginger discussion. I chuck the whole ginger root (unpeeled) in a ziploc bag and put it in the freezer and take it out when I need it. I usually buy a large root and it lasts me probably for the whole year.

27. chris348

I make a large batch of these dumplings at least once every winter. The only thing I do different (and I’m sure I’ll be called a blasphemer for doing it) is that I use the pasta rollers on my mixer to roll the dough out, cut it into squares and with my fingers, thin out the edges that are going to be crimped together. The dumplings don’t look store bought, but they are just as good and that saves me a bit of time.

28. "Cori T."

Wow, these turned out amazingly well. I was a little nervous about making dumplings since my previous attempts at making pierogi were disastrous. Easy dough, easy filling, and great rolling/folding tutorials on Andrea Nguyen’s YouTube page (loved the fan girl squee from MJ!). Thanks also to Jon for the measurements on each ball of dough – 1/2 oz was perfect!

Sounds like this was a true team effort, Cori. Thanks for reporting back – and congrats on your dumpling success! PJH

29. tena

I make batches of pot stickers using ground turkey, but I usually add a little sesame oil & corn starch. When I started making them, I had a recipe for the dough, but couldn’t find one for the fillings, so just played around till I got one I liked.
    My husband is a heart patient, so using animal fat in fillings isn’t a great idea for us, but I subb in a splash of canola oil – without the cholesterol in the pork fat.

30. Crissy W.

Sounds delicious!!! Would love to make and freeze. How long can I store these in the freezer?

The dumplings should be cooked within a few months of freezing (if they last even that long!), checking them after 4 months and perhaps letting them stay frozen for 6. Best, Kim@KAF

31. Kam Bright

I use a tortilla press to flatten out the dough. Just be sure to wrap both plates in plastic wrap so the dough doesn’t stick plus it makes clean up a breeze.

What a brilliant idea! Thank you for sharing. Kim@KAF

32. milkwithknives

We just made these for the third time and they’re wonderful! I think we’re getting better with practice and from reading the ongoing suggestions and comments here. We ground up some nice, lean pork sirloin and mixed in Chinese chives, ginger and garlic, and next time will give it a couple of shots of fish sauce, too. We rolled out the dough with our Kitchenaid pasta roller (setting 2 for nice, thick skins) and then used the little turnover machines (Item # 8935) to cut and fill our dumplings. We then cooked them for about ten minutes total with two doses of boiling water. Perfect. This was our best batch yet, helped greatly by the turnover machines and remembering to cover the dough waiting its turn to be used. Oh, also, I used half white whole wheat in the dough with excellent results. Thanks so much, MaryJane, for the great lesson! We’ll be making these regularly now for sure.

33. CamiSu

MJ, you fed these to Ben, and not to me? Boo on you! We will have to do DumplingHogFest, since Tamalentine’s is out for me this year, thanks to the weather. But I want some soon!

Also, I have always stored my ginger in vodka. That way it does not get a vinegar-pickle taste, and you can use the liquid for flavour as well.

Thanks for another great ginger storage tip!-Jon

34. maricel

please help! I froze my wonton and they all got stuck together… How can i cook (fry) them without breaking the wontons apart? Should i just boil the whole 50 pieces chunk in the pot then deep fry them after? Pls help ASAP :-(

This is a bit of a sticky situation (excuse the pun). The only thing I can suggest is to allow the wonton wrappers to thaw in your refrigerator and then slowly try and separate them. In the future I would suggest to place a piece of parchment or wax paper in between each layer to prevent sticking.-Jon

35. Tian Li

I congratulate you on your dumpling success. The only suggestion I have is to use dumpling flour (shui jiao fen). Unfortunately, KAF does not produce such a flour. The closest KAF would be perhaps Queen Guinevere. But I am not certain. Very sadly, Queen Guinevere has recently been discontinued by KAF.