Deviled Eggs: simple tricks for perfect results

Deviled eggs.

Everyone knows how to make these picnic-basket favorites, right? I mean, if you’ve ever done the “A to H bring a side dish” community supper thing, you’ve made deviled eggs.

Or not.

From the informal poll I did just now here at King Arthur Flour, cooks these days fall into two camps –

“Yes, I know how to make deviled eggs; they don’t really need a recipe, do they?” Or “Well, my mom always made them, and I like them, but I’m not sure what’s in ’em…”

If you’re in the first camp, keep reading; I’m going to share some egg tips here you might not have heard.

And if you’re in the second camp, definitely keep reading; within 10 minutes, you’re going to become a member of the Society of Deviled Egg Experts.

First step: Plan ahead. Make sure the eggs you’re going to boil aren’t particularly fresh – the fresher the egg, the more difficult it is to peel after it’s boiled.

Been there, done that, right? You’ve boiled a pot full of eggs, and every single one of them disintegrates into chunks as you frustratedly try to remove the shell. Solution: not-so-fresh eggs.

And how do you identify the less-fresh eggs you want? Look at the date on the side of the carton; if you’re buying eggs for deviling, go for the carton with the closest sell-by date.

Second step: Plan some more. Take your carton of eggs, and prop it up on its side in the fridge for at least 12 hours (preferably longer) before starting your deviled eggs project. You’ll want to put a rubber band around the closed carton, to keep it from popping open. More on this later.

Third step: Keep planning! Bring eggs to room temperature before you’re ready to cook them; cooking times are based on room-temperature eggs, not cold ones.

If you forgot to take the eggs out of the fridge, place them in a bowl of hot tap water for 10 minutes, to take their chill off.

OK, NOW we’re ready. Let’s boil some eggs.

Place the eggs in a single layer in your chosen pot, one with a tight-fitting cover. Add water to the pan until the eggs are covered by about 1″.

The eggs pictured above aren’t completely covered yet; first I wanted to see if they were perfectly “unfresh.” See how they’re not lying flat, and a couple are actually standing almost on end? Just right.

Bring the eggs to a rolling boil. Not a simmer (upper left); not a hard simmer (upper right); but a real, full-out boil.

IMMEDIATELY remove the pan from the heat, and slap on its cover. See, you’re not really HARD-boiling the eggs; they’re going to SLOWLY cook in hot water.

Start your timer: 12 minutes for medium eggs; 17 minutes for large; 19 minutes for extra-large, and 20 minutes for jumbo.

Why is the timing so important here? I mean, hard-boiled is hard-boiled, right?

Not to deviled egg aficionados. Over-cooking eggs results in rubbery whites; and adds the dreaded “green sheen” to their yolks. For tender whites and bright yellow (not greenish) yolks, cook for the recommended amount of time.

When the timer goes off, drain the eggs…

…and place them in a bowl of ice water to cool. Once they’re cool, peel and make deviled eggs; or refrigerate for up to 1 week.

When you’re ready to peel the eggs, tap the flat end on a hard surface to crack it; then start peeling. Peeling under cold running water makes the task easier.

OK, so why did you prop your egg carton on its side for 24 hours?

To center the yolks in the whites. Top egg, not propped; bottom egg, propped.

“Oh, big deal,” you say? Hey, if you’re going for the prettiest plate at the potluck, presentation matters!

Uh-oh… see that dark edge around the yolks? This was the first batch I boiled, before I read whatscookingamerica.net‘s treatise on boiling eggs.

See these? No green. Lesson learned.

Now, this next step may seem a bit fussy, and feel free to ignore it…

…but it’s easy enough to do, if you have a fairly large garlic press – so why not?

Cut each boiled egg in half lengthwise. Gently scoop or pop the yolks out of the whites, and place them in the hopper of a garlic press. Press them into a bowl.

Most recipes call for you to mash the yolks, but I’ve found that ricing them makes the finished eggs a bit lighter.

At last! We’re ready for an actual deviled egg recipe.

These amounts are for 6 boiled eggs, which will yield a dozen deviled egg halves.

Add the following to the cooked yolks:

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 teaspoons prepared mustard; or 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, pressed dry; optional
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, optional, for enhanced flavor

Stir gently to combine. Pack the yolks back into the whites; a teaspoon cookie scoop is a handy tool for this task.

If you’re feeling fancy, you can pipe the yolks using a pastry bag and tip; personally, I’ve never felt that Martha Stewart-ish…

The traditional garnish is a light sprinkle of paprika atop the yolks; this gives the deviled eggs some color, but is completely optional, of course.

Now, how about some simple variations?

•Curried deviled eggs: Substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder for the mustard; and 2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped chutney for the pickle relish. Omit the Worcestershire sauce.
•Scallion deviled eggs: Substitute 2 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped scallion, both white and green parts, for the pickle relish. Add 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, if desired.
•Savory deviled eggs: Substitute tartar sauce for the mayonnaise and omit the pickle relish, for a slightly less sweet/more tangy treat.

Keep these simple tips in mind as you embark on (or continue) your deviled egg journey. With all those boiled eggs you end up with around Easter time, it’s good to have a destination beyond egg salad!

Please read, make, and review our recipe for Deviled Eggs.

comments

1. Cindy Leigh

Speaking as a girl with a hen house, let me tell you how to deal with those VERY fresh eggs:
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Have a large bowl with ice and a bit of water ready.
    With a large spoon or spider, lower fresh eggs into boiling water and boil for 14 minutes. Yes. Time it. From the time you put them in the water.
    After 14 minutes, remove and place immediately in the ice.
    Leave them there until they are cold.
    Peel under running water. 99% will peel without shredding. And I don’t get the green discoloration.

Looking to cut some fat? Replace half the yolks with an equal amount of white beans, rinsed and drained, and purée. Continue on with whatever recipe you’re using.
    PJ the pickle relish and Worcestershire sounds good! I also like some dry ranch dressing powder and dill in mine.
    Once I tried adding bleu cheese and crumbled (turkey) bacon. I loved it, but there’s a lot of bleu cheese haters out there!
    I feel like I could write an egg cookbook- with 20+ “girls” out in the barn, and no kids home anymore….. I used to make several dozen deviled eggs at a time for daughter’s crew team regattas…..

Cindy: what size eggs is your timing for? I would assume large eggs, but that might make a difference for people using different size eggs. I LOVE the filling ideas! A little blue cheese is always fine with me! Kim@KAF

1. charlie

THIS is exactly how I hard-cook my eggs. I feel so validated now! Thank you! Seems like everyone else I know, including my mother, start their eggs in the pot of tap water, and THEN starts the heat for boiling.

I cool them off immediately after the timer goes off, and I peel them about an hour or so after they’ve been sitting in cold water, cooling off. I have NEVER had to pick at stuck pieces of egg-shell with this method. And heck, I don’t even peel them under running water; I roll the eggs firmly on a paper towel until the shell has cracked all over, and then the shell will come off in nearly one whole piece. Really! I store the peeled eggs in a Ziploc bag and use as needed throughout the week.

2. Leslie Sands

Question for Cindy: Using your “lower the fresh eggs in boiling water method,” do you use refrigerator-cold or room-temperature fresh eggs? I’m anxious to try this method since our hens are at peak production right now. Thanks!

3. Ren

170 in the hen house – we have lots of fresh eggs (even after those that we sell). Add a 1/4 tsp baking soda to the water before it boils, then bring to a boil. If you like soft boiled eggs – about 6 minutes under a lid, if hard boiled – about 10 min, then run cold water into the pot with the eggs. After that, the fresh eggs get the green tinge. Peels without a problem.

2. waikikirie

Minus the pickle relish, and using the Worshcetershire sauce, that’s how I make my devil eggs. It’s also how I make my egg salad for sandwiches. I always boil an extra egg or two in case an egg doesn’t peel well. Will these tips I won’t have to. QUESTION: when you take the eggs out to bring to room temperature, should they still stay on their side? Sorry if it seems silly. I am just sipping my first cup of coffee, not awake yet. teehee. Thanks for the blog!!!

Yes, definitely keep the eggs on their sides until you ready to cook them. And silly questions are only those that go unasked! Kim@KAF

3. Cindy Leigh

Kim, I would categorize ours as large, or medium, although when you’ve got a backyard flock, the sizes are mixed. Unlike a commercial business that grades and sorts their eggs.
    But the instructions I posted seem to work for any size our girls lay.

Fantastic! Thank you for clarifying! Kim@KAF

4. lyoos

I add a little salt when I mash the yolks. Then add tabasco, a little pepper, and mustard to the mash. The last step is adding the mayo, which is always Hellman’s. Sometimes, if I make a large batch of deviled eggs, I will add about a tsp or so of softened cream cheese.

Sounds like a great base for some tasty deviled eggs! Thanks for sharing! Kim@KAF

5. AnneMarie

There’s as many good deviled eggs recipes out there as there are grains of sand on the beach.

True enough, AnneMarie. I like that people are happy to share ideas to keep us inspired, though. Kim@KAF

6. JuliaJ

When I buy eggs, I always check and turn the eggs so the big end is up. The big end is where the air sac is. The older the egg, the bigger the air sac so you don’t want really old eggs as those eggs will be flat or slightly concave at the big end.

I’d avoid using jumbo eggs, or at least, jumbo eggs that look really elongated. Here in CA, that usually means they’re double-yolked eggs. That might make
    for an interesting deviled egg though!

Great tips, JuliaJ! The double-yolkers would make some extra luscious filling, that’s for sure! Kim@KAF

7. misoranomegami

As a southern woman deviled eggs are a frequent visitor to our house, especially around Easter. (How else would we use up all those Easter eggs?) We always use dill relish but dill relish plus mayonnaise is essentially tartar sauce anyway. I’ve always been in the no-paprika club myself.

8. barrie2

As one who has had too many meltdowns over eggs that won’t peel, I heard about steaming them and have never looked back. It’s truly like magic. It doesn’t matter if the eggs are fresh or old. They peel like a breeze. Every. Time. Even my mom who made and ate hard boiled eggs for 30 years at work using a supposed fool-proof boiling method now steams them.

You use a veggie steamer basket. Add enough water to come to the bottom of the steamer basket. Pile in as many eggs as you want (I use my eggs straight from the fridge). Cover the pot. Bring to a boil (I do it over high heat). Once boiling, my hard boiled eggs are ready at about 14 mins. You’ll have to experiment to see exactly what time works best for you and your stove. I pulled one earlier and peeled it to check before I knew my timing. I use either L or XL and find the timing doesn’t change much.

Then, do the usual run under cold water, roll around to crack them, then peel. It’s so simple and works beautifully!! And they never crack mid-cooking because they don’t bounce around in the steamer basket like they did in the boiling water!

Yet another way to make great eggs! Thanks for sharing! Kim@KAF

1. Janice Hogan

Steam eggs in your rice cooker! Place water up to the 20 minute steam line, add eggs in the steamer tray and press steam! Remove when the timer rings and place eggs in cold water. They will peel like a breeze every time and there will be no discoloration of the yolks.

2. Carla Kerr

Another vote for steaming them. I use the steamer basket in my rice cooker too and can put in about 14 large eggs. Set the timer to steam for 20-21 minutes, then into the ice bath, etc. Has been working perfectly for me as well. Glad to read your comments Janice.

3. Kelly

Have hens too and recently learned the steaming method. Haven’t had a problem peeling fresh eggs at all. I use my spaghetti pot with strainer insert. An inch of water in the bottom and eggs in the pasta strainer part. 20 mins and done!

9. teainva

Great tips! I’ll have to try them the next time I make deviled eggs. As for my filling, I only use mayonnaise, dijon (or whole grain) mustard, salt and pepper. Everyone I’ve made them for likes them simple.

Simple is always in style – thanks for sharing. PJH

10. AnneMarie

I’m all for sharing too ! :D I also steam my eggs. Works like a dream and the nonstick shells are fabulous!

All I add to my DVD eggs is mayo, powdered mustard, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and paprika.

YUM! Now it’s 9pm and all I want is a plate of eggs! LOL.

UPDATE: I went home and boiled half a dozen eggs last night–dv’d eggs are on the menu tonight! :) Kim@KAF

11. KAF_Keri

In addition to paprika, I love to sprinkle cayenne pepper on my deviled eggs. Gives them a bit of a spicy pop, which complements the creaminess of the yolks really well.

Excellent idea, Keri – thanks for sharing! PJH

12. amgbooth

A recipe our family loves is Spanish Deviled Eggs with dijon mustard, sherry vinegar, a bit of finely chopped piquillo peppers and juice, hot smoked paprika and topped with a bit of fried diced chorizo. It is a take on Claire Robinson’s Spanish Deviled Eggs, subbing the chorizo for serrano ham.

LOVE piquillo peppers – inspiration! Thanks – PJH

13. deidremefford

Centered yolks – BRILLIANT! You’ll laugh – I made deviled eggs from “organic, free range” eggs and while they looked lovely & normal they tasted like fish! YUCK! Must have transferred into the egg from the chicken feed.

That is a strong possibility, Deidre! You can always contact the farm to state the flavor issue. They easily could be using a fish-based feed. Sometimes the “fishy” smell is from slightly over-cooking the eggs, too. Also, eggs are very good at absorbing odors, so they may have been stored near some less-than-desirable smelly (i.e. fishy!) items. I often crack my eggs into a separate bowl before baking or cooking with them to smell them. All it takes is one bad egg to ruin the whole recipe! Kim@KAF

14. Bridgid

Ok, I am one of the few people on Earth who don’t like deviled eggs. But I was planning on making them to use up the Easter eggs for my family. I saw something on line that I loved – the egg white part of the deviled eggs were colored. The person who made them cut the cooked egg in half, scooped out the yolk, and dyed the white just like an Easter egg. They used food coloring and vinegar and water, and submerged the egg white in and took it out when they got the color they wanted. I thought it was so pretty and different! Has anyone here tried that?

Hmm, I can’t say I have tried this but it sounds quite neat. Though I wonder how the vinegar and dye changes the flavor of the egg…-Jon

1. Margaret K. Hauser

My mother colored eggs without the shell for Easter– no deviling, just used as decorations on the table– then they were eaten as is.

2. charlene

I colored the egg whites in vinegar and food coloring. then rinsed them in cold water. did not affect the taste but they looked so nice. I used the neon food coloring.

3. janilee

Okay, not deviled, but this reminded me of something I haven’t done in awhile and it’s easy and fast. Buy a jar of picked beets and replace the beets with eggs. It only takes a few hours to get a beautiful magenta color on the outside and the yellow inside is so pretty in combination. Oh, and everyone I’ve made them for loved them. No reason you can’t devil the pickled eggs, so I guess I didn’t wander too far off subject.

15. cynthia20932

I recently tried adding a mashed avocado (w/lemon juice and added spices) to about 6 or 7 egg yolks to make green deviled eggs, garnished with chopped cilantro, and we all thought that was pretty tasty. Come to think of it, maybe that would disguise the green egg yolk problem.

16. nelll

And here I’ve always thought they were called ‘deviled eggs’ because my mother always mashed together Underwood Deviled Ham with the yolks and some mayonnaise (I guess) and some paprika on top.

Everyone always said Mom’s were the best and no one else should bother making deviled eggs. Which makes me wonder… did I just maybe reveal a secret family recipe or something?

Don’t worry! We will just keep the recipe between you, me…and all of our readers. I am sure most of them can keep a secret!-Jon

1. Pat

This is exactly how I make deviled eggs, too. Just decided to try it one day to extend the filling and now I have to make them for every church event we have!

17. glpruett

I have one thing to add: when you are making deviled eggs and want to pipe the filling into the whites for a spectacular presentation, do NOT add any “solid” ingredients to the filling, such as pickle relish, green onions, peppers, etc., because they WILL clog up your tip and you will end up very frustrated! Just ask me how I know… One solution, if you like the pickle relish flavor, is to use some sweet pickle juice in the filling, reducing the mayo amount as necessary to get a good consistency.
    And thanks so much for the tip of putting the egg carton on its side to center the yolks! I never knew that, and you can bet I’ll be rubber banding a carton today to rest on its side in preparation for Sunday’s plate of deviled eggs. No reason to color and hide them first, as the children are all long gone from home! For years and years I used your method to cook my eggs in hot water, but then I read that there is some concern that any salmonella organisms present in the eggs might not get destroyed at the temperature that the eggs reach when cooked by standing in the just-boiled water. So, I went back to boiling gently, with the resultant problems you mention in the blog. If it is indeed safe to cook eggs in the standing water, I’ll go back to that method, as it does result in a better end product. Any ideas on the safety?
    My fellow bakers and I use this method at home and it really does produce the best results. Here is another site that recommends this method for hard-boiled eggs. ~Amy

18. juthurst

Love this post!
    And as another Chicken gal with a hen house out back- thank you, Cindy!

I came across one of my favorite Devilled Egg
    (or as some call them, Angel Eggs) add ins when looking for a special recipe
    for Homecoming Tailgating at Liberty University (husband graduated, son there now).

BBQ sauce! That smoky flavor was fabulous on those eggs- addictive!

I used red paste food coloring to color my favorite BBQ sauce a brighter red (school’s color) , and squeezed it on top to make Flamed Eggs (Liberty is the Flames, lol)

Now I *loved* them that way, but some were put off by having a sauce drizzled on top of the eggs. (heaven help us change things up a bit, lol)
    This next time I am cutting back on the ranch dressing and subbing the BBQ sauce to keep that awesome smoky flavor. (Kraft Honey Mustard BBQ sauce)

Oh yum, thanks for the tip!-Jon

19. mumpy

came across this a while back and it’s scrumptious….a bit on the high cholesterol side, but hey, you’re eating deviled eggs anyway!
    mix with 6 egg yolks:
    3 strips crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
    2 TBS sour cream
    1 – 2 TBS chopped scallions
    pepper to taste
    this is a family favorite, but it’s reserved for special occasions.
    Oooooooooo, that sounds good! Just for special occasions? Elisabeth

20. Michiganian

I saw the same idea on Pinterest last year (coloring the whites before filling them) and tried it. I was concerned about the vinegar flavor as well, so just used liquid food coloring and water. The plate was beautifully colored, eggs had no aftertaste ~ all good!

21. cartvl219

I’ve been steaming eggs to hard cook them for a couple years now. I bring the water to a boil and then put in the steamer basket with the eggs. I follow the timing listed in “The Farmstead Egg Cookbook” by Terry Golson (a friend, backyard chicken farmer, blogger [hencam.com], cookbook author and KAF customer. She drives up from MA) – 16 minutes for large, 18 for jumbo. Terry’s revised egg cookbook (to be published in early 2014) will include this method of cooking. Another advantage of steaming – I almost never get the green layer even if the timing goes a bit over.
    Also, steaming works well with fresh eggs.
    So many tips! We thank you! Elisabeth

22. "Mike Nolan"

A teaspoon or two of salt and a tablespoon or two of baking soda in the water will help make the eggs shell easier, even with very fresh eggs.

And when cracking them, crack the less pointy end first. That’s where the air pocket naturally is, and you want to get some of that air under the inner membrane, that will make them peel much easier. If you crack them on the sides or on the pointy end, the membrane won’t come off as easily.

We always use a little vinegar in with the egg yolks (and less mayo), tarragon vinegar adds an interesting flavor. (I make my own tarragon vinegar using Russian Tarragon from my garden and a good red wine vinegar.)

Thanks for the tips Mike!-Jon

23. pcgurugirl

I rather loathe mayo/MW. When I would make deviled eggs in the past I always did a healthy bit of mustard and just enough mayo to glue things together – which was fine but that was when I still lived at home or with my ex-husband who liked the stuff. The other day I got this wild hair and wanted to make some and realized the mayo in my frdige was not only unopened but several years expired. ROFLMAO!
    Have you tried any of the alternatives for mayo? I keep thinking I would sub in sour cream. Now sour cream I could eat right out of the container with a spoon! ha!

Sour cream or a thick, unsweetened yogurt may work well as a replacement!-Jon

24. nursemary

I made these and followed the instructions explicitly. The result was simply divine! I even wrote a blog post about how good they were. Thanks for helping to finally perfect the deviled egg!

Mary O’Brien

Mary, thanks for the blog link – those deviled eggs you made are totally gorgeous! I hope others take the time to check out your blog – thanks for sharing. PJH

25. mysbhvn1

I used to have to make huge plates of deviled eggs for family get togethers. To speed things up and make them look really nice I always used my electric cookie shooter. Made a great presentation and you could quickly fill a whole lot of eggs. Can’t wait to try some of the tricks listed here…thanks!

Now THAT’S a cool idea – thanks! PJH

26. janer01

Great blog post, nursemary!

Wondering if anyone can help… I love all these “bring to a boil and cover” tutorials that are all over the internet. However NONE of them address those of us at altitude. I have monkeyed with the procedures – these and others – and still end up with an unsatisfactory result of some kind or other. Please oh please, help a high altitude gal (4700 feet) out!!!

Also – I don’t have a ricer but find that a pastry blender works terrifically well for breaking up and mixing deviled eggs!

Pastry blender or potato masher both work nicely, Jane – thanks for the reminder. Have you checked out the Denver Post’s blog, “Hard-boiled eggs at altitude: It’s easy“? PJH

1. donnabickel

I know we are talking about deviled eggs and I can’t wait to try some of these ideas, but wanted to add that I always use a potato masher for egg salad.

27. bridgetrorem

Okay, here goes: I sigh every time you talk about those handy cookie scoops. Those are right-handed tools. They do not work properly for the 10% of us who are lefties. Could you either see about getting some left-handed ones made (and carrying them) or stop talking about them all the time?

Bridget, one of our product developers is left-handed – I’ll pass this comment along to her right away. Thanks for pointing this out, and I’ll see what we can do. PJH

28. emilyr1

To pcgurugirl – you can use sour cream, cream cheese, or even softened butter, I think it was Edna Lewis’ recipe that called for butter. You just need a fat to give it that creamy mouthfeel. Pimento cheese also works well, although that’s mayo based, so don’t know if you’d like that.

29. Foody Fun

The best thing about deviled eggs is using my mother-in-law’s deviled egg dish. She passed away before I met my husband, but he tells me she brought deviled eggs on that dish to every meeting or get together she ever attended. Using it makes me smile.

Don’t you love these family memories around specific dishes and recipes? I have a poinsettia cookie bowl I use at Christmas; same deal… thanks for sharing. PJH

30. R Hobbs

My mom taught me the trick of using a food mill (like the garlic press), but we also usually put through the white of at least one of those messed up eggs from shelling. People don’t notice that you’ve added the white, but you now have enough filling to be gracious with the remaining “pretty” whites. Other than the extra white, I uses Kraft mayo (I like it because of the lemon juice flavor), lemon juice, salt (and/or celery salt), and sometimes a splash of “olive juice”, then I put slices of the pimento stuffed spanish olives on the top of the filling! The lemon juice and olive juice both allow for reduced mayo.

Great ideas – for both the messed-up white, and those extra flavors. Thanks so much for sharing – PJH

31. Kris R.

My favorite deviled egg filling binder/flavoring is Trader Joe’s yellow curry bottled sauce. Delicious, and people always want to know what the secret ingredient is.

We tried the oven-baking method yesterday for our Easter egg coloring session with the kids, and won’t do it again. The eggs, though cooked through adequately, developed brown spots under the shells and would be hideous for deviled eggs. The yolks, while all yellow when first cracked open immediately after cooking, became ringed with green by the next day.

Definitely need to try curry sauce – thanks for the suggestion, Kris. PJH

32. Susan from Michigan

Thanks for the tip on putting the carton on it’s side,\.
    The recipe you used is for stuffed eggs. For true deviled eggs you need to put in some hot sauce, that;s why they are called “Deviled” eggs/.

Susan, I never knew the origin of the “deviled” part – I was thinking maybe they were just “bedeviled” by adding extra ingredients. Thanks! PJH

33. M.Ellis

My grandmother used to add deviled ham to her eggs. Everyone loved them but couldn’t figure out what was in them.

34. shadowleigh

Thanks, KAF and PJ — my deviled eggs came out perfectly this year! Your directions were excellent and made my day so much easier:)

Great to hear that our method worked for you!-Jon

35. Tonia

Thanks so much for the tip on centering the yolks. I’m making deviled eggs for Thursday, so I’ll be standing my eggs up this evening. My sister is our usual deviled egg maker, so it will be nice to show this to her. It’s only my second time making them.

36. m

My sister-in-law is the culinary genious 99% of the time, and every once in a while I like to try to impress her. For her little ones birthday, I offered to bring devilled eggs, and was suddenly in a panic. I boiled our eggs yesterday and have them sitting in the fridge awaiting their make over, so was looking on line for some tips on filling them to make them extra pretty and came across your blog.
    I steamed the eggs, and sacrificed one to ensure they were cooking long enough to keep any goo from remaining in the yolks and was amazed at how pretty they were, with the yolks nearly centered. I though I got lucky, but after reading this, it totally makes sense! We bought a flat of 20 eggs, and our somewhat over stocked fridge couldn’t lay them flat, so I had wedged them in where I could – almost on their side! It makes so much sense, now! I’ll do this from now on for sure!
    I want to make them extra pretty, so I’m worried about a commenter’s post about not using a piping bag if you have some solid ingredients (I’m using relish and bacon in them). I don’t own a cookie scoop, as again, I’m not really the talented one in the kitchen (I don’t cook, I heat). Any other suggestions? D:
    I am so pleased it worked out so well for you! Try using your teaspoon from your measuring spoon set! Elisabeth

37. Diane

Since I don’t have a cookies scoop or a piping bag, I put about a cup or so of the mix into a quart freezer bag and cut the corner. Since I can control the size of the hole, I don’t have to worry about chunks.
    Also, “Deviled” means to use mustard {or spices}:
    Widipedia: The term “deviled”, in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, with the first known print reference appearing in 1786. In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.
    Great way to make a piping bag Diane, and thanks for the wiki info! ~ MJ

1. RussMiller

Before you cut the corner of the bag off, just place your ingredients into the bag and mix there. Then cut the corner off and fill the eggs. Saves having to wash an extra dish or two.

38. Pegi

Can anyone help me???? I’m making deviled eggs and have always used my smaller food processor to mix the yolks & other ingredients. This time the Mayo broke and curdled the mix. Is there any way to salvage it???

I would attempt to blend in 1-2 more cooked egg yolks. This should help to emulsify the mixture! However, I can’t say I have ever heard of this happening before. Did you make your own mayo?-Jon

39. Lisa

Thank you for the great presentation on deviled eggs. I have learned how to correctly devil eggs.
    I wish you had a cook book, because your teaching method appeals to me!

40. darcy

my grandma always added horseradish to her deviled eggs, so I’ve been making them her way ever since I learned how to cook. and I still get compliments on my eggs everytime!!!

Great idea, Darcy, – esp since I LOVE horseradish! I’m definitely trying this next time – PJH

41. Donell

My great grandmother used butter in place of mayo, which was not available to her in a jar. It makes a good substitute. I have made many variations. A few are: salad shrimp, black olives and shredded parmesan, chipotle in adobo, and wasabi and sesame oil. I avoid the pickle relish, either sweet or dill. I do enjoy dill in place of the paprika on the standby eggs with Helmans and mustard.

42. Kim

The pastry bag and piping them is nice when you have to travel with the eggs. Fill them when you get there and are putting them on the plate. I use a zipper plastic bag instead of a pastry bag. Doesn’t get as pretty as a pasty bag with a tip, but disposable and I have them on hand. Just cut a corner off the bag. And it is easier to fill the eggs than trying to get the filling to ocme back off the spoon.
    This was they don’t get messed up in transit and you can bring more with since they odn’t have to be carefully laid out on the plate ahead of time.

43. Susan Montaperto

Making Deviled Eggs was how my Mom got rid of all the colored Easter Eggs every year! I enjoy continuing the tradition with my family.

My Mom’s recipe is eggs, mayonnaise, prepared mustard (I like a whole grain), cider vinegar, a little sugar, salt and paprika to finish.

44. Debra

Thank you for the yolk centering tip. I had never heard of that before. This is great right before Easter when my Mom always requests my deviled eggs. I don’t add the pickle relish, but I do add horse radish for the kick and I use Miracle Whip instead of mayo. Yummy eggs.

45. Barbara Lauterbach

I abdicate as Queen of Deviled Eggs in central NH, and give my crown to you, PJ! The prop trick is a new one to me.

My now not secret ingredient is Rothschild’s hot pepper and peach jam, (if you can find it!) just a TB.
    Wonderful piece, and timely with all those Easter Eggs looming in the near future!

Great piece!

46. Dorothy Schenck

I added some of the bacon jam to the yolk mixture when I took deviled eggs to a luncheon and heard many remarks about how good they were. Thanks for the great jam receipe.

“Top egg, not propped; bottom egg, propped.”
      Bottom egg laid on its side for 12 hours before boiling; top egg left upright in the carton.
      See the difference in how centered the yolks are? Interesting, huh? PJH

47. Laura Gilger

Thanks for all the tips! I use chopped olives in my deviled eggs (along with the mayo and flavors)

48. Gloria Baile

Like Darcy, I have used horseradish with the mustard and mayo. Everybody loves them. Thanks for the tip to center the yolks.

49. Pamela

We have our own hens so our eggs are fresh fresh fresh. My husband (he does all the cooking–I do the baking) adds a teaspoon of baking soda to the water and they peel wonderfully. Without the baking soda, it’s a mess!

50. Great-grandma B.

When my folks had a restaurant, I made the deviled egg salad filling for sandwiches… rubbed the whites through a course grater. We had the freshest eggs possible for fried eggs breakfasts, I used those. After boiling the eggs, I gave each egg a good rap or two with a serving spoon to crack the shells before covering the hard boiled eggs with water and ice cubes to cool. No shelling problems. As the whites and yolks cooled, they shank slightly; the resulting vacuum pulled water into the egg shell, separating the shell from the egg. Easy pealing.

51. Beverly

Great tips! I’ve been making deviled eggs for a long time, but sometimes the hard boiled eggs were less than perfect. This blog explains why. These directions ned to be on Pinterest since there are lots of pins, but not as clear as these tips.

52. eileenmonti

You suggest less fresh eggs because fresh eggs are difficult to peel. Well, here’s how you can solve that problem. Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature before you boil them. I boil my water first and use a spotted spoon to insert the eggs, but this should work bringing the eggs to boil with the water, as you suggest. I raise my own chickens and supply friends with fresh eggs, so have spread this method around and it works!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thank for the tip. I find if I leave my fresh eggs from the coop out on the counter overnight, they cook and peel up the easiest. LOVE my hens! ~ MJ

53. Kirk Wittmayer

For year’s, I’ve done the standard mayo, mustard, and horseradise filling. Then topped with dill weed, paprika, and an sliced olive, for color. Why does my filling change to soup if I fill them the day before?HELP!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Kirk,
      I did a little research online and the two most common answers were too much mayo, or the salt is drawing the water from the filling as it sits. Several places recommended only filling what you’ll eat, and then saving the filling in a bowl so that you can adjust the texture the next day before filling more eggs. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

54. Rob Farver

I second the baking soda tip. for a small pan I use a teaspoon. For a larger pot I use a tablespoon. Allows you to use fresh eggs and still peel easily.

55. Sherry

I learned something new – propping the egg carton on its side.

I’ve “preached” time after time about bringing the water to a boil, turning off the flame, covering and let the hot water cook the eggs. I know some people who just cannot not boil for 10 minutes or who bake their hard cooked eggs. ???

I do just a few things different than you:
    1. I find that 10 minutes off the burner and covered for large eggs is perfect.
    2. After 10 minutes, I pour the hot water off, cold tap water immediately on then pour that water off. I put the lid on and shake, rattle, and roll the eggs to crack them. Then I do the ice water bath. That seems to help pull the egg away from the shell.
    3. Instead of pickle relish I mix in minced pimento stuffed green olives in my yolks – and sprinkle in some dehydrated onion.

A potato ricer wouldn’t create threads quite as fine as the garlic press.~Jaydl@KAF

56. Sue Leckart

About 35 or so years I made deviled eggs as part of the spread for a dear friend’s baby shower. I used a new recipe for them. Along with the egg yolks I added a small can of deviled eggs! They were soooo good. Everyone commented on them! But from that time until now, I’ve never been able to find the recipe again. I know I could make my own version, but the originals were perfect. Guess I’ll have to keep on looking. Sigh…

57. sheltercat

Great article. I live at 5280 feet above sea level. Any idea on what the cooking times would be at this altitude? Thanks!

Sorry, I haven’t tested these at high altitude. I saw advice on another blog saying to cook the eggs at a full boil, with the pot uncovered, for a few minutes longer than usual – so you might try that. Good luck – PJH

58. K. S. M.

Piercing the fat end of the egg with a push pin (use a twisting motion) allows the air pocket to release while cooking. Gives a better egg shape and avoids the occasional fracture with oozing globs. Pins with a triangular cross section work better, a few licks of a file will make a cutting edge on the ones with a round cross section.
    Will have to try the “eggs on the side” suggestion. Have only used this when ordering breakfast at a truck-stop.

59. Phyllis

Tried this method. I had the egg carton on its side for 2 days before cooking. Obviously too long because the yolk was very close to the side that was down. Interesting to know that the yolk can be moved around. There was no green ring. You learn something new all the time.

That’s one of the joys of cooking and baking, Phyllis, isn’t it? Experimenting, learning – and always enjoying the results. Glad your yolks were yellow, if not perfectly centered – PJH

60. Tina Gleisner

OMG, who would have thought making deviled eggs was this complicated although once you’ve followed the directions once, might be easy peasy?

Stopped by as your site was recommended in a G+ article … but you’re not letting people leave their urls with comments so??

Tina, not sure about G+ not letting you leave URLs with comments – that must be a G+ thing, because we’re always happy to print links to people’s blogs/recipes (so go ahead and leave it here, if you like). And yeah, deviled eggs aren’t really “this complicated” – once you make them, you find your own acceptable shortcuts (or you simply discover that what at first looks complicated, really isn’t). Good luck – PJH

61. Stu

I also use the 14 minute method and I use XL eggs. Works perfectly for me. My favorite deviled eggs include Hellmans mayo, 2 or 3 different types of mustard (Dijon, Dusseldorf and plain yellow or dry). Franks hot sauce and chopped olives with an olive slice on top. There are never any leftover….

62. Marcia G.

Instead of a garlic press, I always “rice” the yolks by mashing them thru a strainer.
    I don’t like lumpy yolks.

63. Jane Wineteer

Ricing the egg yolks would be great unless you don’t happen to have a ricer.

Another method that works very well is to put the yolks in a small bowl, add any dry seasonings – I like salt, white pepper, onion salt – and use a pasty blender to break them up. The use a table fork to stir in mayo and yellow mustard or whatever you prefer. (My mother always grated hers with a hand grater and I hated doing that, even though the result was lovely.)

A pastry blender is handy and easy to wash up afterwards.

64. sandylc

My family puts a unique ingredient into our devilled eggs – I believe I’ve only seen it in print once before. Our recipe is simple: yolks, salt, pepper, mayo, and……sugar – not a lot, just enough to barely taste. Yummy.

65. Alexa Penn

OMG – thank you, thank you, thank you. i cook, i make good omelets – BUT – i have never been able to boil an egg properly or have deviled eggs come out well – not even close!! LOL

so i’m going for this – thanks much – alexa :}

66. zaborilenta

Hey, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb blog!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I’ll pass that on to our IT department here so they can check that out. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

67. grace

A NYC recipe…I make deviled eggs with mayo, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and a hefty dose of pesto! For some reason, the combination is absolutely delicious….I make either homemade or u can use store bought….add enough pesto to taste. These are always gone when I serve them….none left after a party! Try it and see!

68. Erica Teel

I use dill relish instead of sweet and I top with mild curry powder instead of paprika.
    And I always use a pastry bag to pipe the filling into the whites. For me, it saves time and lets me use all of the yolk mix, distributing it evenly between the whites, without it looking a mess.
    I will have to try the Worcestershire sauce, that sounds yummy!

69. RobetMele

Как можно размещать рекламу на вашем сайте? Свяжитесь,хороший у вас сайте!

Мне очень жаль, сэр, мы не принимаем рекламу на нашем сайте. Но спасибо за ваши добрые слова. PJH

70. Mona J.

This recipe looks great! However, since I have been steaming my eggs, I won’t do it any other way again! I have always boiled them and I even tried baking them in a cupcake pan in the oven. But the BEST and EASIEST way to fix PERFECT eggs, is to steam them! Here is “Fresh Eggs Daily” bloggers recipe for steaming eggs – try it! You, too, will never go back!! Thanks for a great Deviled Egg recipe! http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/01/hard-steamed-eggs.html

71. cookmaine

I add a bit of horseraddish and a little sweet pickle juice. My preferred pickle is chopped sweet gherkins but i will use relish too. Miracle whip, vinegar, salt, pepper, yellow mustard, just a bit of sugar.
    Also, I test an egg to make sure it’s done before I pour all the hot water out. Peel it under cold running water. Cut in half, check the yolk. Then add a smidge of butter, salt & pepper & devour!!

72. Joan

My mother wasn’t much of a cook, but she made great devilled eggs by putting a can of devilled ham in with the yolks, a bit of mayo and a hint of dried mustard. I haven’t seen the small cans lately, but I use one of the larger cans per dozen eggs. I mix it with a hand mixer, adding a dash of dried parsley and garlic granules. I beat it till nice and fluffy and put it in a gadget I got from Pampered Chef and pipe into the whites with that. They are always a huge hit and expected for holiday appetizers. Love the idea of putting the eggs on their side.

73. Sharon

my younger sister taught me an easy way to shell the eggs! after boiling them, pour off the hot water and fill the pan with very cold water. let them set until cooled. pour that water off, cover the pan and shake it vigorisly! set pan in sink and fill again with cold water and let them set for a minute or 2! the water gets under the shells and they are so easy to peel! Proceed making the deviled eggs! I make mine like my mom did: Mayo or Miracle Whip, mustard, and pickle relish with a light sprinkling of Paprika on top!

74. Janice House

Lowering fresh eggs into boiling water did not work for me. They all immediately cracked and I was very careful lowering them in the water. So I have egg whites floating all over my boiling water.

We don’t suggest lowering eggs into boiling water! The shock will crack them. You’ll put the eggs in the pot and then bring them to a boil. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

75. Steve B

I know everyone has a favorite and few dishes beg for as many variations as deviled eggs so here’s mine: Yes, absolutely, ice water plunge the eggs immediately after boiling. When you peel make sure you get under that membrane between the shell and the white from the start and the rest will peel off easily.

The mix: to egg yolks add two or three parts mayo to one part wasabi mayo (Trader Joe’s) or a table spoon or so of creamed horseradish, a tsp or two of grey poupon, tsp rice wine vinegar, finely chopped green onions and celery, garlic salt and pepper to taste. The coup de grace: a dash or three of Gram Marsala. Finish with sprinkle of finely chopped green onion/chives and (smoked) paprika.

Your deviled eggs sound amazing, Steve! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Barb@KAF

76. Patty Morgan

It’s important to note that high altitude effects cooking time! Here, in Denver, we need to cook eggs at least 10 minutes longer.

77. Susan W.

A potato ricer works well to mash the yolks; I put the egg/mayo mixture in a sandwich bag with one corner cut off. It was easy to do the Martha Stewart thing.

78. GDub45

Thank you for all the info re the best way to hard boil an egg, etc.
    While I agree with everything written: somewhat fresh eggs, 1″ below water level, bring to a boil – cover off heat for 14 minutes – same time in ice, I find the sequence lacks one very important point:
    That being one must poke a very small hole in the large end of the egg before immersing it in the water.
    This will allow entrapped air to escape thus avoiding cracking the shell due to rising air pressure and the small amount of water that enters the egg will facilitate the shell removal later.
    Good luck!

I never knew that – and yes, sometimes my eggs do crack. Thank you SO much for this helpful tip! PJH

79. Sue

Instead of mayo I use lemon yogurt. Less calories than mayo and it gives the egg a great flavor and beautiful color.

80. Patty Jacobson

Along the line of the Martha Stewart comment about using a pastry bag and tip to fill the whites prettily, I mix my ingredients together with a fork or potato masher or a combination of both, mix as well as possible. I then fill a small ziploc baggie with the mixture, seal, cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the ziploc bag and fill the whites forcing the mixture through that hole. Not only are the eggs prettier but the filling is smoother. The smoother texture is appreciated in our family. No leftover deviled eggs.