Sourdough English Muffins: from starter to beautiful finish

Do you want to know how to make ridiculously decadent and delicious eggs Benedict, start(er) to finish?

Read on.

Eggs Benedict, for any of you unfamiliar with this fancy breakfast favorite, is an English muffin half, toasted and topped with a slice of ham, a poached egg, and hollandaise – a rich butter/egg/lemon sauce.

Now, that’s the classic version. But go to any restaurant higher up the dollar scale than, say, Mickey D’s, and you’ll find eggs Benedict in a surprising number of incarnations.

The traditional slice of ham can give way to Canadian bacon, smoked salmon, corned beef hash, or asparagus (for a vegetarian take). The egg might be fried, or even scrambled; the sauce often morphs into cheese sauce.

But every version starts on an English muffin. Which is what we’re going to make today.

Really? When it’s so easy to buy good English muffins?

Yes, really. Because A) Making English muffins isn’t nearly as challenging as you might think; B) Homemade English muffins are DA BOMB; and C) Sourdough English Muffins aren’t generally available at your local supermarket.

While this recipe doesn’t require your sourdough starter to be fed, I like the vigor of a fed starter; it helps the muffins rise.

Beginning with 4 ounces of dormant starter, I add 4 ounces each King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (scant cup) and lukewarm water (1/2 cup), stirring to combine.

Depending on how dormant my starter is, it will begin to bubble vigorously within several hours; or it will take a few days of feeding to get it going. Your goal is a happily bubbling starter (bottom right).

Combine the following ingredients in a large bowl:

2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water (110°F-115°F)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast or instant yeast
1 cup sourdough starter, fed or unfed; fed will give you a more vigorous rise
7 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sour salt (citric acid), optional; for enhanced sour flavor

Mix and knead — by hand or electric mixer — to form a smooth dough. The dough should be soft and elastic, but not particularly sticky; add additional flour if necessary.

Want to use your bread machine to mix and knead the dough? Go for it. You’ll want to let it rise in a larger container, though.

By the way, if you don’t want to make 2 dozen muffins, this recipe is easily halved. Simply halve all of the ingredients; for a slightly faster rise, reduce the yeast to 2 teaspoons, rather than 1 1/2 teaspoons.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, or an 8-cup measure, as I’ve done here. Cover the container.

For most pronounced sour flavor, immediately place the dough in the refrigerator. Let it chill for 24 hours; the dough will rise, and the long rest will develop its flavor.

If you’re in a hurry, or don’t particularly care about strong sourdough flavor, don’t chill the dough. Simply set it aside to rise at room temperature for about 1 1/2 hours, or until it’s noticeably puffy.

An advantage of using the measuring cup is that I can quickly see just how much the dough has risen. It’s more than doubled in bulk – going from 3 to 7 cups.

Gently deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured or lightly greased work surface.

Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball. Let the balls rest for 10 minutes, to relax their gluten.

Flatten each ball into a 3″ round.

For a somewhat more even rise as the muffins cook, flatten each ball slightly larger than 3″, and trim edges with a 3″ cutter (or trim all around the edge with a pair of scissors).

Muffins with cut (rather than flattened) sides will rise more evenly.

Place the rounds, evenly spaced, onto cornmeal- or semolina-sprinkled baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap, and let them rise until light and puffy, about 45 to 60 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cornmeal or semolina.

If the dough has been refrigerated overnight, the rise time will be about 2 hours.

Carefully transfer the rounds (as many as a time that will fit without crowding) to a large electric griddle preheated to 350°F, or to an ungreased frying pan or griddle that’s been preheated over medium-low heat.

Cook the muffins for about 10 to 12 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a muffin registers 190°F. The edges may feel a bit soft; that’s OK.

To shorten cooking time, instead of an open griddle use a lidded electric fry pan heated to 325°F.

For best shape, cook the muffins for about 5 minutes on their first side. Then lay a cake pan, cookie sheet, or similar flat (though not overly heavy) object atop them; this helps keep muffins flat across the top (rather than domed).

Continue cooking for 7 minutes or so; then remove the pan, and turn the muffins over. Place the lid on the pan, but don’t set it on tight; leave a small opening for any steam to escape. Cook the muffins for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until their bottom sides are browned.

I guess these are done. LOVE my digital thermometer… it really takes the guesswork out of so many baking projects.

Remove the muffins from the griddle, and cool on a rack.

Don’t split until they’re completely cool! Pretty nice nooks and crannies, eh?

Now, on to the eggs Benedict.

A classic serving of eggs Benedict includes two English muffin halves, with toppings. I prefer to eat just one.

Toast an English muffin half; butter it, if you want to totally gild the lily.

Top with a thick slice of warmed or fried ham.

Top with a poached egg. If you don’t like poaching eggs, fry it; or scramble it, even. Poached is classic, but there’s no need to stand on ceremony here.

Top with hollandaise sauce.

Now, I’m sure many of you use hollandaise sauce mix. But it’s really quite easy to make it from scratch, especially if you have a blender, or small food processor with an opening in the top to add ingredients on the fly.

The following amount of ingredients makes enough hollandaise for 4 generous servings.

Place 2 large egg yolks, 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice (to taste), 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a dash of Tabasco into a small blender or food processor.

Heat 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter until very hot, either in a saucepan, or the microwave. The butter should be sizzling/popping hot, not just melted.

With the motor running, pour the butter gradually over the egg yolks/lemon juice, blending/processing until the sauce is thick.

If, for whatever reason, the sauce doesn’t thicken for you, transfer it to a small saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it becomes thick.

This sauce isn’t quite as thick as I like it; I was in a hurry, and didn’t heat the butter hot enough.

Still, I had no trouble finishing off this decadent dish, once I’d taken the photo.

Just to make doubly sure of the picture, however, I made another one – and my husband enjoyed an unexpectedly tasty breakfast, too!

Please read, make, and review our recipe for Sourdough English Muffins.

comments

1. argentyne

Oooooh. More sourdough stuff! Yum!

I don’t have citric salt, and I understand that it is just optional. I do have the Instant Sourdough Flavor. Could I use that in this recipe?

Just curious. Glenn (my ornery starter) is too fast for me to get much sour taste, no matter what I do. Even in the fridge, a loaf of bread made with Glenn only takes about 2 hours to rise WAY over the edge of my loaf pan. He’s terrifying.

You can certainly use the sourdough flavor in this recipe! It sounds like Glenn is a very active little starter, what flour do you feed it with?-Jon

2. "daisy in nj"

If you don’t have sourdough starter on hand, is it okay to create a basic overnight starter for this recipe, or are you just better off going with a different recipe for english muffins that doesn’t call for starter, period? Any guidance offered appreciated!

Hi Daisy – I think you’ll enjoy our regular English Muffins recipe just as much. Cheers! PJH

3. mike

You know, I’ve never thought about naming my starter. Now I am. I’m going to name it “Camelot” or “Excalibur”, and play John Philip Sousa’s “The Liberty Bell” every time I feed it…..

Also, make sure to feed it in slow motion for added drama!-Jon

4. Annzie

Oh yes! Great recipe!! Store-bought English Muffins were a thing of the past, once I discovered Sourdough English Muffins. I prefer to make my Hollandaise Sauce the ‘old-fashioned’ way, though: in a small saucepan, mix 1 egg yolk with juice of a lemon. Add 1 T butter. Hold over another pan with boiling water (don’t let it touch the boiling water!), stir constantly until the butter melts. Add 1 additional T butter, stir until it melts, and then add another T butter, again stirring until it’s melted. That’s it!

Thanks, Annzie – even lazy me might try your method for Hollandaise, it sounds so easy! PJH

5. argentyne

(my browser is throwing a fit today and won’t let me comment while signed in. It’s weird.)

Thanks for the reply Jon, I will have to try the recipe this weekend!

Glenn is my 8 or 9 year old starter. He and his brother Mark were started at the same time. Mark (“Mark”ed for extinction) was started with all-purpose flour and water. Glenn was started initially with rye flour and water. Mark was more like what is described as “regular” starter. He would take hours and hours to rise and while I could get decent flavor in the bread, he was just a shade on the slow side.

Glenn took off and never looked back. I refuse to make pizza crust with him ever again after the nightmare that was the first and only time. (I made 2 balls of dough, each about the size of a baseball. Each ball went into its very own gallon sized zip top bag, and the bags were put in the coldest part of my fridge to rise while I went to work. By the time I got home, 8 hours and 45 minutes later, the balls had expanded to the point where one had ruptured its bag and climbed down into the veggie crisper drawer and underneath it and on top of it and all around it. The other one had stretched its bag to nearly a quarter again its original size.

Glenn now gets fed once a week with KAF bread flour. He gets 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water. I make a loaf of bread with him once a week and I do NOT feed him before I make the loaf of bread. He’s scary enough on his own. ;)

I love how people name their starters! Makes it a lot harder to forget about them when they’re named–sort of an extension of the family, I suppose! Thank you for sharing your stories about Glenn and Mark. May they continue to keep you baking for years! Kim@KAF

6. nashville mike

PJ, Does the hydration of the sourdough starter matter? I maintain a 100% hydration starter..

The hydration of your starter will make a difference in any product that you make. Luckily we also use a 100% hydration starter for all of our recipes!-Jon

7. marcin

I just made these, with the citric acid I just got from KAF, along with my year-old KAF starter. Oh my gosh, these English muffins are wonderful. Can’t wait to go to the next place with them: Eggs Benedict. The muffins look beautiful, smell amazing, and taste wonderful. By, just as aside, for the some reason, the site won’t let me comment with my usual sign in. I have to post here as an anonymous poster. Hmmm. King Arthur Flour, you are the best teachers!
    Glad you are lovin’ the muffins. Sorry to hear about the site being finicky. Give customer service a call and ask to talk with a specialist. They should be able to help. ~ MaryJane

8. DonH

MaryJane,

Thank you for your chat comments earlier in the week. I’ve tried combining the sourdough and baked approach to making english muffins. The first batch of 6 are out of the oven, and are OK, in fact the best I’ve made so far. I found them too sweet, and without enough holes, so I’m trying a second batch with less sugar, and increased hydration (up to about 80%). How do I send you pictures? I’ll be back with more information and a recipe when I get the current batch done. Again; thanks for this blog, and for all the wonderful recipes you folks post. Keep up the good work!

DvH

I would send your pictures to our Bakers inbox, just make sure to address the email to MJ in the header! Our address is bakers@kingarthurflour.com.-Jon

9. Mairzie

Good morning! I don’t have any powdered milk on hand. Should I just omit this ingredient or trade out a bit of the water for milk? Thanks!
    Sure! Using half water and half milk or even all milk would be just fine! ~Amy

10. Ernie

Curious about the different approaches used for the English muffins in the Breakfast Sandwich recipe and these sourdough muffins. Any thoughts on why (1) the sandwich recipe uses dough from first rise, while sourdough recipe requires rise after shaping? (2) the sourdough version is rolled, the sandwich version not? (3) the sandwich muffins need to cook so much longer? Any suggestions on advisability of using muffin rings for the sourdough version and if helpful, best way to use them? Is the inclusion of an egg in the sandwich recipe intended to make those muffins more like a brioche?

I would give our Baker’s Hotline a call for more in depth answers to your questions!-Jon 855-371-2253

Hope you called our hotline, Ernie – they’re a great resource. But for other readers, just briefly, the Breakfast Sandwich Muffins recipe makes a much slacker (wetter) dough; it’s impossible to roll out, and has to bake longer in order to dissipate enough liquid. The muffin rings are a necessity to keep the sandwich muffins round as they bake; not needed for the sourdough muffins, with their stiffer dough. As for the egg, it makes a slightly more tender/less chewy product; not enough that I’d call the muffin brioche-like, but a bit softer than the sourdough English muffins. PJH

11. Brenda

My husband and I like the sourdough English muffin recipe. I use my husband’s adjustable hamburger press set to 1/2 inch and a piece of wax paper top and bottom to flatten my balls of dough for the muffins.

12. Ann

I am confused – does this
    “Beginning with 4 ounces of dormant starter, I add 4 ounces each King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (scant cup) and lukewarm water (1/2 cup), stirring to combine…”

replace this:

“1 cup sourdough starter, fed or unfed; fed will give you a more vigorous rise”

thanks!

Sorry for the confusion, Ann. No, it’s not a replacement. The first sentence you quote above is directions for feeding your sourdough starter before using it, if that’s the route you’re going to take. Once it’s fed, you scoop out 1 cup, which is the “1 cup sourdough starter, fed or unfed; fed will give you a more vigorous rise.” Bottom line: You can feed your starter (as directed in first the quote above); or you can use it unfed. I hope I’ve cleared things up! PJH

13. Ann

Uh oh – well, I used it as a replacement (all of it, not just one cup), which maybe explains why there is SO MUCH DOUGH! :-) It was a good consistency, it is rising in the refrigerator, but there is a lot of it. WIll this just make a lot more muffins, or will the consistency be off?
    Uh oh! Not a terrible problem to have, Ann. You will have more muffins, they will be tangier and the consistency may be little off. Enjoy! Elisabeth

14. Ann

They were delicious…! Not so many nooks and crannies, but very tasty nonetheless! Thanks for all the help, KAF folks!

15. ResGar

I like this recipe and plan on trying it again. The mufins looked and tasted great, but when I cut them open the holes were more like sandwich bread: small and uniform. I suspect I handled the dough too roughly when deflating. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Happy New Year!

1. MaryJane Robbins

I would say it’s probably a factor. Also, be sure the dough is nice and wet and sticky. I’m sure with practice you’ll get it just right. ~ MJ

1. Susan Reid

Andrea, was the dough on the firm, or wet, sloppy side? As a general rule, wetter dough and a long enough wait translate into those bubbles you need for nooks…Susan

16. Janet D

I’ve made these several times and I can never leave them on the griddle as long as the recipe says. They almost burn. I can only leave them a few minutes on each side and must finish them in the oven, which is no big deal but just can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’ve checked the temp on the griddle and its ok. I’ve turned it down to a lower temp but I can still never leave the muffins on for the amount of time listed. Great taste though!

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Janet. That may be a matter of the materials in your griddle and how close the heating element is to its surface. Have you tried making one or two muffins in a heavy frying pan (cast iron is great for this) on the stove to compare? Susan

17. greenapplegirl

I tried these once before, with a mix of white whole wheat and classic AP. They were good, but I felt I could produce better. Do you think subbing out a bit of the AP with bread flour and adding some vital wheat gluten might make for bigger nooks and crannies??

It might; or another thing you can try is making a slightly slacker (softer, more wet) dough, which is really where you get those nooks and crannies. The softer the dough (to a point), the more easily steam can push its way around inside and create fissures. Good luck – PJH