Gluten-Free Blueberry Coffeecake: another magic mix miracle

GF_BlueberryCoffeeCake3_900w

So, it’s breakfast time again. You’re tired of cereal, the yogurt has expired, the waffle iron needs the old grease scraped out of its crannies from the last time you used it, and your children utter staggering groans when you suggest scrambled eggs.

Where’s the inspiration? Wanna turn those kiddo groans into a chorus of cheers?

Groping for the oatmeal box, your hand stumbles upon the King Arthur Flour gluten-free muffin mix you had stashed toward the back of the cabinet.

Muffins? Sure, why not? Or, better yet, how about coffeecake – one layered with streusel and berries?

Our product development team works hard to perfect our gluten-free mixes; we want to exceed your expectations of gluten-free baking. So it seems a shame to have only one use for each of them.

Like our gluten-free muffin mix? Read on and discover how to turn it into a fabulous blueberry coffeecake, thanks to Frank Tegethoff, one of our talented product development test bakers, who kindly donated this recipe to my cause.

Once in awhile, I enjoy a break from recipe development; and it’s always nice to have some of the work done for you, right? There’s nothing wrong with having a little extra time to focus on other things like photos… content… grammar.

How’s my grammar?

Oh, sorry. OK, on to coffeecake!

Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan, or two 8″ round cake pans.

To make the streusel topping, combine:

• 4 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons Gluten-Free Muffin Mix
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • pinch of salt

Using a pastry blender or your hands, mix the ingredients until they come together.

They’ll be coarsely crumbly. Set the crumb topping aside while you prepare the cake batter.

Mix the batter, starting with blending the 3 eggs, 6 tablespoons of oil or butter, and the remainder of the muffin mix.

Beat until smooth.

Add 1 cup of milk, 1/4 cup at a time, blending in between additions.

Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl between each addition.

Mix on medium-high speed for about 1 minute…

…or until the batter thickens slightly.

Gently fold in 1/2 cup blueberries. It is important to use either defrosted (drained) or fresh blueberries rather than frozen ones to avoid adding too much liquid to the batter.

Divide the batter between the round pans (or pour into the 9″ x 13″ pan), and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.

The rest will encourage the baking powder and xanthan gum to activate and therefore thicken the batter, providing more strength for the addition of berries and topping. Forget this important step and you’re bound to end up with an imploded blueberry upside-down cake!

Top with an additional 1 1/2 cups blueberries…

…and the streusel.

Here’s the single-pan version – rested, topped and ready for the oven!

Bake the cake(s) for 30 to 34 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center reads 210°F.

Remove from the oven, and cool slightly before cutting.

The cake(s) should be a lovely golden brown and ever-so-tempting with their nutty topping, juicy blueberries, and warm, soft, tender crumb.

GF_BlueberryCoffeeCake1_900w

Please, get comfy with this cake, as it deserves to be accompanied by your favorite warm drink and a good read.

Dust it lovingly with confectioners’ sugar.

I hope it brings a refreshing break to your day.

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Blueberry Coffeecake.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. M. Garcia

I couldn’t find the “remainder” amount of muffin mix for the cake batter. Am I missing something?

The recipe initially calls for “6 tablespoons of GF Muffin Mix” in the crumble. Then, you use the remaining mix to make the coffee cake base. I hope this clarifies things! Kim@KAF

2. Ann Squire

Can you substitute eggs with flax seed mix or egg replacer?
    Yes, either will work. 2 tablespoons of ground flax + 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg. Betsy@KAF

3. Marilyn Stinson

Your grammar is doing fine. The places that need apostrophes have them and the places that don’t need them don’t have them. A+

Thanks for the approval, I will let Amy know!-Jon

4. Robin

Well, let me say it tastes great! However, I followed the instructions using fresh blueberries and letting the batter rest (I did leave out the pecans since I can’t eat nut pieces) and my two 8-inch pans bubbled over and left a burning blueberry mess at the bottom of my oven and took an extra 20 minutes at least to reach 210 degrees internal temperature. I am going to try this again but use 9-inch pans and perhaps decrease the amount of blueberries? Anyway, it’s a keeper recipe for me with just a little fiddling to get it to turn out right in my kitchen. Thank you!
    Thank you for the feedback, Robin and I am terribly sorry for the mess. Have you checked your oven temperature for accuracy? It sounds like your batter didn’t set quickly enough, which may have caused the boil-over and the need for 20 extra minutes in baking time seems way too much! Give us a call on the hotline if you have any questions. ~Amy

Robin, I also wonder if perhaps your 8″ pans may have been a bit on the shallow side. If they’re shorter than 2″ deep, then that may have helped facilitate the boil-over… PJH

5. Ravennj

The Topping calls for 4 tablespoons of soft butter but I can’t use dairy so could you recommend a good substitute that will keep the crumble in chunks since I doubt oil would be a good idea there. Thanks so much! I’m looking forward to making this as I use the GF Muffin mix once a month to make different flavored muffin tops for myself so switching it up with a coffee cake sounds yummy.
    I am so glad that you are making good use of this mix- it seems to be a favorite among our Gf fans! Yes, you can use a butter substitute. Earth Balance makes a great soy-based stick that is comparable to the flavor of butter. ~Amy

6. Alma

I can’t imagine what I did wrong with this recipe. I followed it exactly. No substitutions at all. It doesn’t even come close to looking like the picture on the recipe. When it baked, it bubbled butter all over the cake and on the edges. I baked it for 35 minutes and it is done but doesn’t look like a coffeecake. It looks more like a tart. HELP!!!

Please give our Baker’s Hotline a call so we can help troubleshoot the problem!-Jon 855-371-2253

1. bakersresource

These will freeze very well. Be sure to wrap well in foil and then slip into a zip lock freezer bag. Defrost at room temperature and if you would like to reheat, place the foil wrapped muffins into a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy! Elisabeth

2. Lexi'sMommy

Thanks! I made this in two square 8″ pans. We ate one right away and froze the second one. After allowing the second one to thaw, I re-heated it, and it was just as good as the first one!

7. Nicole

I’m going to attempt this recipe, but I live in the mile high city. Any suggestions for using this recipe at altitude?

We have high altitude baking tips on our website that may be helpful. You can always call and we’ll give you our best advise from this altitude as well. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

8. Deb S

This recipe is a keeper! My husband and I both loved it. I used two round metal pans and froze the second cake for a family event. Thanks for the great recipe!

9. rob delucia

can this be make without the blueberries – just with the crumb topping? If so, what other adjustments would you advise?