Gluten-free dessert crêpes: Pardon my French

Crepes_900w

We all know that crêpes come from France, right? Brittany, to be exact. But did you know that the word crêpe actually originates from the Latin word, crispus, which means curled?

I guess this is fitting, considering that crêpes are typically rolled up, like big cigars, around some sort of sweet or savory filling. But there are so many unique ways to present them, and they answer to so many names.

OK, maybe they don’t actually answer you when you call them, but cuisine often DOES talk in some way or another, having a story to share, or a rich history to carry.

So whether you’re in Italy enjoying a crespella, feasting on a German pfannkuchen, or boasting a Russian blintz, this skinny pancake could easily be a star at your table any time of day. Call ’em what you wish – let’s just make some NOW!

This is another glorious recipe where you won’t need to plug in your mixer. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine:

In a separate bowl or measuring cup, beat together:

• 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Make a shallow well in the flour mixture and pour in about half the liquid.

Stir everything together, then add the rest of the liquid ingredients and combine thoroughly. Don’t fret over small lumps, they won’t stick around for long!

Add 1/4 cup melted butter.

Stir it in, then allow the batter to rest at room temperature, covered, for at least an hour.

Heat your crêpe pan or a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Wipe the bottom of the pan with a bit of butter (a paper towel works well). Pour a scant 1/3 cup batter into the bottom of the pan,

Immediately pick the pan up and tilt it in a circlular motion, so the batter covers the bottom surface.

Cook the crêpe until the bottom begin to brown and you can slide a spatula under it to flip with ease. Cook briefly on the other side, place on a warm plate, and cover until the remaining batter is cooked.

Crepes_900w

Like simplicity? Just folding these tender treats and dusting with a little powdered sugar or drizzling with maple syrup is basic perfection.

If you’re in a fancier mood, there are endless ways to dress a crêpe. For the autumn season, I highly suggest this apple filling recipe, or perhaps you’d like to stick with a more traditional cheese filling.

Looking to cut the sweet from your life? Omit the sugar and vanilla from this simple recipe and find some savory filling inspiration. Just be sure to use gluten-free flour in place of the all-purpose flour in this one!

Please read, make, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Crêpes.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. "Paul from Ohio"

MAGNIFIQUE! About the only French I speak is: French Fries, French Toast! But Crepes………oh they are THE BEST. What was that long ago Chain of Crepe Restaurants called? Best stuff…………and look at this, Amy gives a history lesson as well as GREAT FOR GF folks. I’m thinking there’s NOTHING that GF folks can’t eat thanks to KAF Multi-purpose GF flour! Win Win for all. Great job Amy!

Paul! Merci beaucoup for the kind review! So glad you liked the recipe–we’ll all give Amy a pat on the back for this! Kim@KAF

2. ehedghog

The printed recipe does not tell how much butter to add to the batter.

I apologize! You are indeed correct. The recipe uses 1/4 cup of melted butter (half of a stick or 4 Tbs). We will update that right away! Thank you for the sharp eyes! Kim@KAF

3. Carma

Paul, I was just thinking if that place (had a killer Monte Cristo!) – I think it was The Magic Pan.

OMG….I remember the Magic Pan. I always begged my parents to go for dinner. I was addicted to the deep fried cheese and the cream spinach crepes. Good memories! Betsy@KAF

4. ask

Well, just want to say that it seems that KA is going more the route of gluten-free recipes rather than regular recipes using flour. I find this disappointing. I check your blog every morning for inspirational recipes and have been disappointed with this fact as well as the fact that you folks don’t post as many recipes on your blog in a week as used to post.
    This had been my favorite website for years. I want to give you this feedback for whatever it is worth.
    Your recipes are fantastic and I am sure that the gluten free ones are too. Perhaps a separate blog for those recipes would be useful so we wouldn’t have to share!
    Thank you for your feedback. We haven’t changed the number of blog posts, but in fact are increasing our panel of bloggers and the variety of content that is posted on the website. We’ve developed a successful line of gluten-free products and, in turn, are supporting a wonderful following of gluten-free bakers. Please be assured that despite the gluten-free posts (only two per month), we continue to provide new wheat-based recipes just as we always have. If there is anything you would like to see in the future, please don’t hesitate to give us a shout! :) ~Amy

1. Evie

I am SO happy that you have expanded your GF recipes. My daughter has developed gluten sensitivity after a year of chemotherapy. Please keep the GF products and recipes coming!!

5. Thea

If I didn’t need this recipe to be gluten free can I just substitute ap flour? Would I still need to use xanthum gum? What is xanthum gum and any hints where to find it? Thanks so much!
    Check out this great recipe for crepes using AP flour. No need for any xanthan gum for these! ~Amy

6. inver

I think the crepe chain restaurant was called the “Magic Pan”. I use to visit the one in Manhattan in the East 50s…so delicious and fun!
    I’ve heard of Magic Pan, but never saw one in real life. We had The Pewter Pot where I lived but I think they only served muffins. ~ MJ

7. Kelly

My batter was extremely thick. I have made crepes before but this is the first gf version I’ve tried. I ended up adding a couple more cups of milk and was much better. Tasted pretty good. No one could tell they were gf! :)

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for sharing your experiences Kelly, glad you were able to adjust and wow the crowd! ~ MJ

8. Heather

Just wondering about the GF flour quantity. The blog calls for 8 oz and the recipe for 11 oz. Which is correct?

1. Amy Trage , post author

Hi Heather, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I have fixed the blog, so the correct amount is 2 cups/11 ounces. Sorry for the confusion! ~Amy