Lemon Sherbet: a one-photo-blog wonder

lemon-sherbert

Did you know that Dr. Seuss wrote the book Green Eggs and Ham on a bet?

It’s true. Dr. Seuss’ editor bet him that he couldn’t write a book using 50 words or less. The Cat in the Hat was pretty simple; it used 225 words. Not one to back down from a challenge, Seuss started writing and came up with Green Eggs and Ham – which uses exactly 50 words. (You can look them up online, but try to guess as many as you can first).

While I’m using more than 50 words in this blog, it is going to show you how to make the creamiest, most lemony Lemon Sherbet in just one photo.

lemon sherbet

You can click anywhere on the photo to enlarge it

Yes, it’s that easy. Cold fresh lemon juice and lemon juice powder are the keys to the tangy, puckery lemon flavor. If you don’t have lemon juice powder, don’t fear. In the recipe you’ll find directions on how to use powdered lemonade drink mix.

Chilled whole milk and cornstarch are responsible for the creaminess. Those with corn allergies can leave out the starch, or replace it with 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum.

So there you have it. A one-photo blog. Well, I guess technically it’s a collage of four photos, but you get the idea.

Now, here’s the challenge. In true Seussical form, can you write an ode to the lovely lemon using only 30 words?  You can use the same words over and over, but only 30 different words total.

Here’s mine:

Nerbets dream of lemons, Nerbets dream of flowers
Nerbets dream of lemon sherbet showers.
Rain down on the Nerbets,
Nerbets love lemon sherbet!
Gelato or sorbet
Will not make their day,
Ice cream chases Nerbets away.
So save the Nerbets
Make lemon sherbet!

I can’t wait to see your lemon poems and musings!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Lemon Sherbet.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Drew

Do you have a sugar-free version? Can TrueLemon (powder) the same as your lemon powder? If not, how not?

Unfortunately these types of recipes rely on the sugar for both sweetness and to produce a scoop-able texture. Also I am unfamiliar with the TrueLemon brand. However, if it is a product that contains sugar then I would suggest to use the lemon drink mix version of this recipe.-Jon

2. Bonnie

Have you tested this recipe with nondairy products?

Unfortunately we have not. However, I see no reason why coconut milk could not be used with this recipe!-Jon

3. Joni Matthiessen

I tried to make lemon ice cream a long ago–just once, and when I mixed the lemon juice to the milk I got this curdled mess. So just how do you make this without the milk curdling? I’m perplexed, even though I’ve bought lemon ice cream, I’m afraid of wasting ingredients again to make my own…

So long as the mixture is made and then churned into sherbert soon after there should not be any issue with curdling. If you have any further questions, please give our Baker’s Hotline a call so we can try to troubleshoot your baking problem with you!-Jon 855-371-2253

4. Ria Koper

Lemon, how do I love you
    Let me count the way.
    Lemonade, lemon curd, lemon sorbet.
    And love you as a lemon pie. with meringue piled up oh so high.!!
    Yoohoo(not part of poem)

Yum, I can feel the lemon love.-Jon

5. Anne

Making lemon sherbet tonight? I’m afraid not.
    A trip to grocer’s freezer section is easier and short.
    But an ode to lemon sherbet, why indeed not?
    MJ, upon your invitation here is my humble take, my nod.
    __________________________________________

Vanilla ice cream is so pure and divine
    So says everyone who comes to dine.
    A bowl of pudding of rice is so nice
    We all dig in more than once, maybe even more than twice.
    Fruity Jell-O we all marvel, why, as usual.

But the Sun is sizzling high and low on every inch of the sidewalks
    And not one bit of shade in the meadows.
    Time for that taste of lemon
    Refreshing like a breeze through a midnight open window.
    Throw in some sugar, and make it cold and creamy
    For I like mine sweet as well as tangy.
    To cure an outside temp that’s ninety degree, would you agree
    Lemon sherbet could come to rescue?

________________________________________

Anne’s teachers of English:
    “Oh, my goodness, what is this?
    We have to hold on to the chair just not to faint.
    Alas, has our teaching really been so in vain?
    From our list of pupils Anne will vanish
    Her writing terrible will henceforth be forever banished!”

Anne:
    “Relax, all for nothing but merely a bit of fun.
    Better do whatever however you want to get done
    Just to help summer nerves from being undone.”

6. Julia Cole

With my apologies to Peter, Paul & Mary:

Lemon tree, very pretty
    And the lemon flower so sweet
    But the fruit of the poor lemon
    Is impossible to eat

Along comes Mary Jane
    In her blog so many sweets
    Tempting all her poor readers
    Making lemons into treats

As the pretty trees surround us
    And the sun shines bright and hot
    Mary Jane mixes flavors
    That will always hit the spot.

Mary Jane, very pretty
    And her recipes so sweet
    We thank you King Arthur
    For so many things to eat

7. Kim

We just made this recipe. Two adults and two teens, all of whom LOVE lemon flavored anything, did not enjoy this recipe. The lemon powder added an extremely artificial flavor we all found unpalatable, and we pitched the whole batch after just a few bites. This is the first disappointing product and recipe I have had from KAF.
    We are so sorry this recipe did nothing but disappoint! If you want to try again, please try replacing the lemon juice powder with 1/3 cup instant lemonade drink mix and adjust to taste. Elisabeth

8. Donna

Of lemon sherbet I dream, as I float in a stream.
    The hot” Florida sun beating down, blue sky all around.
    Lemon sherbet will cool me, relax and refuel me.
    Off to my ice cream churn I go – let the lemon sherbet flow!

9. djfbikes

Of lemon sherbet I dream while floating in a stream.
    The hot Florida sun beating down, blue sky all around.
    Lemon sherbet will cool me, refresh and refuel me.
    Off to the ice cream churn I go, let the lemon sherbet flow!

10. Susan

Lemon, Lemon in my pie,
    cookies, tarts, and sherbet.
    Make me smile and lift me high,
    wanting more and yet,
    my belly is full.
    There’s more recipes to come
    and I want some.