Homemade Egg Noodles: Time is money – er, not really...

egg-noodles_2_900w-450x330-1

What’s 35 minutes worth to you these days?

For me, it’s worth so many things.

It’s worth 35 minutes to drive to our favorite Asian restaurant, where the food comes out hot and fresh every time. We love the staff as much as we love the dumplings.

It’s worth 35 minutes on the phone with my best friend to laugh like we did in college and share those little inside jokes that no one else knows. (“Knock, knock.” “Who’s there?” “Calvin Cooooooolidge.” Yeah, it made sense once upon a time).

Thirty-five minutes of knitting will restore my sanity; 35 minutes of classic 1980s TV will make me feel young again. Did you know I’m a sucker for all those murder mystery shows? One of these days I’ll count how many times Columbo says, “Oh, just one more question” in 35 minutes.

Yes, 35 minutes in the long run is not too high a price to pay for the really good things in life.

Take baking and cooking, too. Thirty-five minutes for brownies and cakes goes by like nothing flat, unless you’re really, really hungry. In 35 minutes you can roast up a pork tenderloin, make speedy applesauce to serve with it, and make the best homemade noodles you’ve ever had.

So, pop in an episode of Murder, She Wrote and join me in making Homemade Egg Noodles. We’ll have them on the table and ready to go before Jessica pulls the old “You lost a button” trick and captures Bert Convey red-handed – or my name isn’t Amos Tupper.

DSCN0827

Great homemade egg noodles can be made with just five ingredients. I bet you have them all right now, and can pronounce them all, too!

Put the following in the bowl of your food processor:

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

So, why put baking powder in noodles, anyway? Egg noodles tend to be a little lighter in texture than regular pasta, and it’s baking powder that gives them that boost.

DSCN0829

While the machine is running, slowly add 2 large well-beaten eggs.*

*Yep, I tried Egg Beaters, and they work just fine.

DSCN0835

The result will look very similar to fine cornmeal; but if you pinch a bit in your hand, it’ll hold its shape. You can see the quarter-sized piece in the front that I pressed together.

DSCN0836

Turn the machine on and slowly pour in 1/2 cup milk. The dough will come together quickly now, so be ready. Depending on the flour, the weather, etc. you may not need all the milk, so pour it in slowly and only add it all if the dough seems dry.

DSCN0838

Stop the machine and check the consistency of the dough. Just from looking, I can tell I added a bit too much milk. Pasta dough should be smoother and firmer than what you see here.

Conversely, if you open the processor up and see several balls of dough that are separate, dry, or crumbly looking, you know the dough is too dry.

Adjust with flour or milk as needed. In my case, I added two more tablespoons of flour.

DSCN0839

Ah, that’s what we’re looking for. Firm, slightly dense, but not dry.

If you don’t have a food processor, you can make the dough in your stand mixer, or even using your bread machine’s dough cycle.

DSCN0841

Wrap the dough well and let it rest at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes. You can also make the dough early in the day or even the night before and keep it well wrapped in the fridge.

DSCN0872-001

Roll the dough out about 1/16″ thick, or thin enough that you could see your hand through it. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut 1/2″ wide strips, then cut those into 2″ long strips.

DSCN0875-001

Toss the strips with a little extra flour to keep them from sticking. Isn’t this a handy way to use your extra tea strainer?

DSCN0886-002

If you want to freeze the noodles for later use, spread them out and let them dry for a few hours. I pointed a fan at mine, and they were thoroughly dry in about 2 1/2 hours on a humid day. Into a zip-top bag and into the freezer for about a month – if they last that long!

If you’re cooking right away, let the noodles dry while you bring a pot of water to a rolling boil. You can also cook the noodles right in your chicken soup, stew, etc.

DSCN0885-001

Add the noodles and stir well. They’ll float to the top fairly quickly, and be fully done in about 3 minutes. Keep in mind that fresh pasta waits for no one, so have everything ready to serve before dropping the noodles in the water.

Taste a noodle or two for doneness. When they’re just right, drain them well and toss with a little butter. Serve hot with your favorite entrée and veggies, and enjoy 35 priceless minutes of conversation and laughs with your family over dinner.

Oh, and don’t forget to turn off the TV; Kojak and McMillan will be there when you get back.

We’d love to know what you’re serving your noodles with. Comment below and share your great dinner ideas!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Homemade Egg Noodles.

Here’s an amazing chicken soup in which to use your noodles. They cook faster, so add them in step 4, not step 2.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Grossvater

Baking powder and milk in pasta are both new to me and I’ll try.
    I’d serve them with a nice beef stroganoff – Yummies! :-)

2. keri in FL

Have you ever attempted spaetzle? It’s a very similar recipe, except for the addition of a little nutmeg and the dough is pushed through a spaetzle maker, or a large holed sieve or spoon into the boiling, salted water. Then, after draining, saute briefly in some butter. Great with red cabbage and that pork loin :)

3. Amanda

Any ideas on using flax in place of the egg? My daughter loves pasta (and I would love to make this) but she has a severe egg allergy. I use replace eggs with flax in baking….

Unfortunately this is not something we have tried but it is within the realm of possibility!-Jon

4. Jan

I don’t have a food processor but I do have a stand mixer with a dough hook, will that work?

A stand mixer and the paddle attachment should work well. This dough can also be made by hand if you wanted to!-Jon

5. Mary O'Brien

I made these last night and I was so excited to eat them. I even grilled sausage on my indoor grill so mine would look just like MJ’s. I dropped the noodles in the boiling water and the anticipation mounted. Then poof! The circuit breaker to the stove blew and it turned off, not just the grill but the burners too. My beautiful noodles sat in hot water until my husband got the breaker reset. I was worried about over-cooking so I just brought the water back up to a boil, drained and served the noodles with butter and parsley. I should have tasted them first. They were extra al dente but flavorful. My husband loved them! I’ll try them again soon.
    OH Mary, what a surprise that must have been! I’ve had my oven go out during baking, but never the stove top. I’m glad you enjoyed the noodles in spite of the trials. Just think how delish they will be next time! ~ MJ

6. terry

7. Lyn Bailey

We can all agree that whole wheat is better than white flour. I use a pasta machine and substitute white whole wheat flour for the AP flour. No, it’s not exactly the same, but much better than the whole wheat noodles you buy. When I go “decadent”, I use bread flour.

As for this recipe, or any recipe for homemade noodles, once you try it, it will be hard to go back. And watch, they cook much more quickly. The thinner the noodle, the faster they cook, I go to #6 or 7 on a pasta machine and take it out once it floats. And they stand almost alone for a wow effect. A bit of butter, and you’re done.

My favorite is with an Alfredo sauce, but that happens rarely.

As for spaetzle, I make it both ways, with the metal box on top of a large holed flat piece, for thin dough, or with a machine that looks like a sturdy potato ricer with holes only on the bottom. Both are fantastic with sauerbraten. Or any other German dish.

8. Keith Johnson

Looks so yummy that my mouth began to drool. You made it look so easy to prepare. This recipe is something new to me which is why I am so excited to try it soon. Thanks a lot for sharing this.

9. Barbara

If you have a spaetzle making tool, it’s much faster to make than noodles. I make both egg noodles (no baking powder, just milk or half and half; eggs, salt, and flour) and spaetzle, dry them in my dehydrator, and keep them in vacuum sealed canning jars. I can have the convenience of a ready-to-prepare pasta and only do the work occasionally. The noodles are not pre-cooked, but the very runny spaetzle is, and I cook it in broth. I actually wore out an Atlas pasta machine over 50 years of cooking and had to buy a second because I make very large amounts of noodles at a time.
    Hi Barbara,
    WOW! I have never heard of anyone wearing out a pasta machine. I’m guessing you make mountains of noodles! ~ MJ

10. Sara

Hello, Wondered if I can make this same recipe using Bob’s Red Mill all purpose baking flour?? Looks delicious and will be wonderful in my homemade chicken corn soup! Thanks for sharing!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

HI Sara,
      We haven’t tried this as a gluten free recipe. I do know our kitchen has been testing out a GF pasta recipe that should be online in the next month or two, so keep your eyes open for that one too. Sorry we can’t be of more help with this one. ~ MJ

11. vitabrevis

Don’t make the same mistake I did with this recipe: I selected grams instead of volume and trusted the conversion of 2 cups of flour to 241 grams. Wrong! This was far too wet a dough for making any kind of pasta. I make a lot of pasta, and always measure by weight instead of volume–it’s far more accurate and easy to manage. A cup of flour–scoop and sweep–weighs about 150 grams, so I should have used 300 grams of flour for this recipe. I worked as much flour as possible into the dough while kneading but once a pasta dough is out of balance, it’s very difficult to bring it back to what it should be. My noodles were so sticky after cutting that there’s no way they wouldn’t stick together, so I had to go directly from the pasta machine into boiling water to avoid disaster. By all means, weigh your ingredients. Just don’t trust the conversion factor from this website.

1. PJ Hamel

We measure our flour differently than you do; we sprinkle and sweep, which yields a 4 1/4 ounce cup. 8 1/2 ounces = 241g, so there’s no issue with the gram conversion on our recipe site. Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Our flour is higher in protein than other national brands, and if you used a lower-protein flour, then you’d get the results you describe… Did you let the dough rest, to absorb the liquid, before rolling/cutting? Did you use large (1 3/4-ounce liquid) eggs? There are lots of little variables here, so hard to say what was amiss; but I want to assure our readers that the volume to gram conversion does, in fact, work just fine. Sorry for the sticky dough, at any rate! :) PJH

12. TMenk

I make homemade noodles all the time and had never seen a recipe using baking powder! My husband is a contractor and with temps outdoors at 20 degrees and falling, fast, hot and hearty meals are a must… and he isn’t a fan of casserole dishes which makes it tough. I can serve almost anything with my homemade noodles and the meal not only has the additional volume and starchy energy he needs, it also gets rave reviews. I tried this recipe yesterday and let the noodles dry for a couple of hours while I put together a slow cooked smoked turkey soup…. creamy smoked turkey with cheese… I was very happy with the results and will definitely continue using the recipe!!

13. Clay Russell

I’ve made tons of pasta before but never egg noodles. Looking ahead to a dinner party I tried a couple of recipes – this one and another with more eggs but no milk or baking powder – on the same night. (Your recipe was the winner, partly because I didn’t have to knead it!) But a curious thing happened during drying. Your noodles darkened noticeably.

Worried, I cooked a few, and they ended up looking fine, but I’m curious as to the reason. I did not use King Arthur flour but the same flour was in both recipes so that can’t be the cause. Any ideas?

The noodles will, with time, darken due to oxidation. Best of luck with your dinner party.~Jaydl@KAF