Blueberry Cream Cheese Rolls: There's no blue Monday here

blueberry-cream-cheese-roll-1

Beneath your bowler brim the world’s a simple song,

A lovely lilt that makes you tilt your nose,

Get out your slickers, your flannel knickers,

Your red suspenders and hose,

For there’s no blue Monday in your Sunday clothes!

Yes indeed, Dolly Levi, when you’re dressed like a dream your spirits seem to turn about. It’s just as true in the kitchen as it is in Yonkers, NY. When you take a baked treat that you love and dress it up just a bit it can really lift you up and change how you’re feeling about life and livin’.

When my daughter graduated from high school this spring and performed in her last play, it didn’t occur to me at the time that Hello, Dolly was in fact a wonderful way to transition to a whole new world.

Many of the kids in the class had been together since they were in my pre-school class at age 3. While we could have lost ourselves in the blues of leaving each other, instead the kids were singing about getting out into the world, and reawakening, and new beginnings. Looking back, it was an amazing message to have in their lives during a tough transition period.

I can honestly say the energy and sheer joy of the students made this the best performance we’ve ever seen on that school stage, and we’ve seen some spectacular shows over the years.

So do away with any blues we may be feeling today and make some blues we can use. Blueberry Cream Cheese Rolls are ready for their starring roles. (Did you see what I did there? Rolls, roles. I’m a wit, I am.)

Let’s make a batch before the parade passes us by and bring happiness and joy to our kitchens.

blueberry cream cheese buns

remember, you can click anywhere on the picture to enlarge it

Making these rolls doesn’t have to become a Broadway production; there are quite a few steps but they’re all easy. Check out the steps here, starting with the top left.  Make a batch of dough. Make the filling*, spread it on the dough, cut up the rolls, make the cheese topping, pipe it and smooth it. Make the streusel, sprinkle, bake, and enjoy.

If that was enough to get you started, you can skip to the recipe. If you want to see a bit more up close and personal, come along as we make Blueberry Cream Cheese Rolls.

DSCN0799

Start with your favorite sweet bread dough, rolled out to approximately 16″ x 20″.  You’ll need approximately 2 cups of blueberry filling or jam. I used the jam setting on my bread machine to make mine, like in our blog.

Taking a hint from sushi masters, place some of the filling in each of the 4 corners. You then spread out each section to the sides and center and before you know it, the whole surface is covered without any tugging or pulling of the dough.

Roll the dough up cinnamon bun-style, working from the long side and rolling towards yourself.

DSCN0801

Using a sharp knife, dental floss, or quilting thread, divide the rolled log into 12 equal pieces. Place the pieces slightly touching  in a well-greased 9″x 13″ x 2″ pan.

Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise for 40 minutes.

By the way, I hope no men are trying to make this recipe because you know…

O yes it takes a woman,
A fragile woman,
To bring you the sweet things in life!

OK, OK stop protesting – I was just kidding!

DSCN0803

While the dough is rising prepare the cream cheese topping. Mix together 12 ounces soft cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until smooth.

DSCN0808

Using a piping bag or zip-top bag with the corner cut off, pipe large, marshmallow-sized daubs of cream cheese topping onto each roll. Using a knife to cut each portion off is helpful.

DSCN0814

Wet your fingers with cold water and gently smooth out the filling so that the top of the bun is fully covered.

So, why not put the topping on the rolls at the beginning of the rise?

Sweet doughs have a harder time rising than plain dough, and adding a heavy layer on top would really slow them down even further. Give them a chance to get started, then add the topping shortly before baking.

DSCN0802

Just before sending the rolls to the oven, make the streusel topping. White streusel topping is really easy to make. It’s equal parts of flour, white sugar, and butter. Here I’ve used 1/2 cup of each and whirled it all together in my trusty food processor.

DSCN0818

Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the whole pan full of rolls. Don’t worry if some falls between; it will all bake together beautifully.

DSCN0820

Bake the rolls in  a preheated 350°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes. The cheese filling will puff up, the streusel will turn golden brown, and what little of the rolls you can see will be deep brown in color.

Set the pan to cool slightly on a rack before serving. I like to serve these just barely warm or at room temperature. They’re definitely a KFJ (knife and fork job) dish, with a tall glass of milk on the side.

So, say so long, dearie, to feeling dreary, and go out there to conquer the world.

And… jazz hands!

I hope you’ve enjoy my tribute to Dolly. I’d love it if you took a moment to add a comment about your favorite musicals or plays. What show tunes lift your spirits when you’re feeling down and out? Bonus points if you’ve been in the show!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Blueberry Cream Cheese Rolls.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. roxlet

These look amazing, but about a zillion calories each. I will have to wait for someone else to make them so I can invite myself over for a taste. I wouldn’t trust myself alone with a pan of these!!

2. Sue

Just a little thing, but–the description says 12 large rolls and the instructions say 16 rolls. I can probably make it work either way, but… Still I’m thinking I might make these this afternoon with some chocolate raspberry jam I have!

12 is the magic number for this recipe. Thanks for helping us make the correction. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

3. Kathy

Wow these look delish…do you think I could make them put them in the pan and then in the fridge overnight…bake them the next morning for a totally decadent brunch?
    I think that would be fine. I’d make the cream cheese icing and apply it in the morning, then streusel and bake. By the way, what time should we show up? ;) ~ MJ

4. Lynn in AZ

Oh my, those look delicious!
    Hi Lynn,
    Yes, these were so very good, it was hard to stop eating them! ~ MJ

5. Sandra

The blog/recipe calls for a 9X13 pan yet the FB photo looked like it had been baked in a muffin tin. If that was the case, what size tin and how many buns? I think I would rather have them as individual rolls…Let me know!
    Hi Sandra,
    Yes, I tried the rolls in lots of different pans. You can use a muffin tin, making 24 rolls, or you can use the hamburger bun tin, and make 9 BIG rolls. SO many different ways to make these~ ~ MJ

6. Marie Foohey

I am so making these tomorrow, if I had seen this earlier I would be eating them by now. YUM

I hope you enjoy them, happy baking!-Jon

7. Laurie

These look really good but also like a lot of work. Can the dough for this be made ahead and frozen? I’m sure the filling could probably be made ahead.
    You’re right, these do take more time than other rolls. You could make the dough and filling ahead of time and freeze, then thaw overnight in the fridge night before you want to start working on the recipe. ~ MJ

8. AnneMarie

Tossing in my tidbit: I opened one of my pints of blueberries that I put up last month, packed in light syrup. I dumped the berries, packing juice and all, into a saucepan, added .5 cup of water and .25 cup of sugar and 3T of Instant Clearjel and warmed until deliciously thick and gooey. Perfect filling for these rolls.

Great idea!-Jon

9. Lynn Lekander

YIKES – these are TOO INTERESTING. I need to try these, love this technique.
    I bet you’ll really enjoy these rolls Lynn. ~ MJ

10. Terrie

I now have another addition to my “Grandma Does It Great!” list. It’s great being a GM because I can do my best of the best routine whenever I’m with them. That way they always know that I’m the best GM ever! lol

Thanks for helping me along, Jon.

11. Ingrid Hilton

I canned Peach Pie filling, how would that work in these?

Sounds like a winner as long as the filling is thick and full of peaches! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

12. Gambles

I didn’t notice it earlier, but I’m not getting a link to the blog on the recipe page. Is it just me or does it still need to be added?

Suzanne

Hmm, you are absolutely correct! I will had one added within a few minutes.-Jon

13. Carolyn

When I clicked on the link to the recipe at the end of the blog, all I got was a blank white page with ‘Done’ down in the lower left corner.

Sorry to hear that the link did not work for you. Here is the direct link to the recipe. The link on the page seemed to work fine for me, I’ll keep an eye on it though. ~ MJ

14. Rie

Oh MJ….you slay me (and my hips) with this recipe…xoxoxoxox

She tends to do this quite a bit! Try the rum cake if you can; I bet you can’t have just one piece.-Jon

15. Jeanne Thompson

What is the purpose of the Instant Clear Jel and can anything else be substituted? These look way to good

The instant clearjel is used to thicken the filling. As per the recipe, you can replace it with one packet of gelatin!-Jon

16. Sheena

This looks scrumptious! I’d love to try making these someday. Can you recommend a sweet dough recipe for these rolls? Thank you so much!

Hi, Sheena! The dough from these cinnamon rolls should do nicely. Susan

17. Gambles

Here comes the ? that is in almost every recipe: Will they freeze? I found the answer that says I can freeze the dough and the filling and defrost in the fridge before assembling. That still leaves a lot of work to be done though. I either have to cut the recipe in half – which is always a bummer (but especially when they look as yummy as these) or freeze half. We just can’t manage this many, and since I’m homebound, I just don’t have that many people I can keep giving my experiments too!! Tons of successes keep going in the trash. :( Sad but true! So, can I make them up to the rolled and filled part, but before the 2nd rise and freeze them then?? That would just leave me defrost in the fridge, let rise, and top with both toppings before baking?

I’ve actually never tried freezing dough, but it sounds like a possible alternative to halving or throwing away so much perfectly good product. I usually see someone ask in every blog so I did look all through the blog, recipe, reviews, tips, etc for this answer so hopefully I didn’t miss it, but either way, I still need help.

Thanks for any advice,
    Suzanne

Yes, you can freeze the rolls after you shape them and before the second rise, however they don’t always come out that great. Instead, try proofing them 1/2 way through the 2nd rise and then freeze them, or bake and freeze. Then all you have to do is warm them up! Betsy@KAF

18. Formerlyforeman

These are delicious, but trust me, you work for it! These are quite time consuming. Mine did not turn out as pretty as those in the blog but I can’t imagine they could be any tastier! Also, take to heart the instructions to use “slightly softened” butter in the streusel. Too soft and you end up with paste.
    Loved these rolls and will make again.

19. R

Thanks a lot for the nice recipe.. but can I use fruit preserve instead of the filling?

And if you have a good recipe for spinach and artichoke soufflé please post it

20. Lisa Brown

Loved the “Hello Dolly” references, one of my favorite Broadway shows. Actually saw it on Broadway as a child and met Carol Channing afterwards! And the blueberry rolls look divine, I love anything blueberry, perhaps Cam and I will attempt a bake-off (she will win!) Thanks for sharing.

We’re so glad you enjoyed both the recipe and the posting, Lisa! The best recipes in my book are always the ones that bring to mind childhood memories and that wonderful sense of nostalgia. Hope you have a spirited and delicious bake off! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

You’re very welcome and we hope you enjoy them JoAnn- the blueberry season has certainly arrived! Let us know what you think! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

21. Bridgid

Haven’t been in Hello Dolly! But I did play Lily in the Secret Garden (one of my bucket list roles to play) And when I need a pick me up – anything Adelaide sings in Guys N Dolls (another bucket list role to play) … but these blueberry yummies look devine! And I have to say that I am pretty suprised that people are complaining that they are work. To me, baking isn’t work. It’s fun. It’s joy. It’s stress relief. It’s accomplishment. It’s so much better than store bought. And sure, I’ve made cinnamon rolls, which is the same amount of work as this, and I’ve made cherry almond filling, which is along the same lines as making preserves, so I’m not getting the “so much work” comments. I’ve made croissants and danish, cronuts, and that’s not work either. It’s happiness. If Vermont were not famous for its cold winters, KAF would be the perfect place for me to work when I done with the job I have.

Hello Bridgid! You took the words right out of my mouth when it comes to how much I (and my colleagues of course) enjoy baking. I talk about baking all day with our wonderful customers like you and then go home and bake all night! Fun, joy, accomplishment, happiness…I agree with every word and then some. You really have taken on some of the big pastry recipes and clearly managed to conquer them with flying colors and I can only hope that we can help to keep that joy and enthusiasm burning for many more years to come! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

22. Maria B

These are FANTASTIC! Fun to make, the house smelled incredible and they are SO delicious. Just a small taste for me…but awesome for the teenage metabolisms in the house. These will def be at my next brunch/coffee.