Quick Pots de Creme: Easy sweet

e082713

Raise your hand – who wants to make the fastest, easiest, richest-creamiest-chocolatiest ELEGANT dessert – ever?

OK, hands down.

As in hands down, these Quick Pots de Crême are the best darned “chocolate pudding” you’ve ever tasted.

Start your stopwatch – you’ll discover just how quick these really are.

creme1

Place 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional) in a blender or food processor and pulse until finely ground.

Add 1 large egg and pulse just until the mixture is smooth.

Note: If you worry about food safety issues around uncooked eggs, use a pasteurized egg.

Heat 1 cup heavy cream to just below a boil, with small bubbles forming around the edge of the saucepan (or microwave-safe bowl). Turn on the blender or processor, and slowly add the cream. Scrape down the sides of the container if necessary.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; or 2 tablespoons liqueur, if desired. Here I’ve opted for Kahlua. Pulse to blend.

Divide among 6 individual serving cups, about 1/3 cup crême in each. Cover with plastic wrap, not touching the surface. I put the six ramekins in a 9″ x 13″ pan, then covered the pan with plastic wrap; consolidating them made it easier to move the crêmes around.

OK, here comes the not-so-fast part: Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

The crêmes will become quite solid; firmer than pudding, somewhere between the texture of thick Greek yogurt and cream cheese.

photo

Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Or, as I’ve done here, with a simple splash of heavy cream, raspberries on the side.

Or simply garnish with a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and fresh berries.

Then again, you can also turn this into instant-gratification, no-bake chocolate cream pie!

Here’s how I do it: Crush 24 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 9 1/2 ounces cookies) in your food processor. Add 1/4 cup melted butter; pulse to blend. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the pots de crême, which will now become pie filling.

IMG_1927

Double the pots de crême recipe, using 2 cups chips, 2 eggs, 2 cups cream, etc. Pour it into the chilled crust.

IMG_1930

Depending on the depth of your pie pan (this pan is 1 1/2″ deep), you may have extra crême left over; I had about 1/4 cup. No problem – just pour it into a little cup and stash in the fridge – baker’s treat!

DSC_5240

Chill the pie in the fridge until cold, then place in the freezer, covered in plastic wrap. Once frozen, it’ll be quite hard; remove it from the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to slice and serve it.

So, what are you waiting for? In the time it took you to read this blog post – you could have had Quick Pots de Crême chilling for tonight’s dessert!

Read, make, and review (please) our recipe for Quick Pots de Crême.

Note: Again, if you worry about raw eggs and food safety issues, use a pasteurized egg in this recipe.

comments

1. Anne Marie

Are you covering to avoid pudding leather on the top? That’s the BEST PART!
    Pudding leather! I like that metaphor, Ann Marie. I have never been a big fan of it, but will not turn it down either! Elisabeth

2. Abbie Gentry

Will this work with pasteurized eggs (like egg substitute)?
    Pasteurized eggs in the shell, for sure. Egg substitutes are mostly egg white, so the results would be very different. Stick to eggs in the shell. ~ MJ

3. Bonnie

Any chance this can be made dairy free? I have soy chocolate chips but can anything replace the heavy cream?
    I did a little quick research online and it seems that you can use full fat coconut milk for the heavy cream. I would suggest looking up a dairy-free recipe to follow, just to be sure of the outcome. ~ MJ

1. Laurel K

You can definitely make this dairy free! I make another recipe very similar to this using EnjoyLife chocolate chips (dairy free!) and coconut milk. Super delicious :)

4. maureen

Sounds delicious. The only thing that concerns me is the uncooked egg. What do you think??
    If you have any concerns over using uncooked or undercooked eggs, be sure to use pasteurized eggs. ~ MJ

5. Dayle Rutledge

Here’s a combination you can’t beat. Pot de crème ~ fresh raspberry jam ~ glass of rich merlot. This is always a great ending to a wonderful evening with friends.
    and here I thought it was warm cookies and milk. I love the idea though, it sounds so lovely. ~ MJ

6. Alison T

Has anyone ever tried it with half and half? I have enough recipes that I can just as well spread on my belly to stay than eat, but would love it if it works with a lower fat dairy product than heavy cream :)
    For the best results, stick with the heavy cream for the texture. Invite over a few friends, go for a nice walk first, then enjoy your well-earned desserts! ~ MJ

7. SusaJayne

Thanks, I have been looking for a recipe that uses the whole egg. Hate having those whites left over! Also love the processor method!

1. boxplayer

But leftover whites do make lovely meringues . . .

So true. I’ve been known to hide a little bit of chocolate inside a meringue shell, for a happy surprise! Susan

8. Anne

I make version of this but I use super SUPER hot and really super strong Chai tea instead of the cream. I whip it super fast in the food processor to give it the air. It still turns out a bit denser than a cream one, but ooooh, so yummy!
    Wow, how interesting! Thanks so much for sharing, especially for our dairy free fellow bakers. ~ MJ

9. Marjorie

Will the hot cream heat the egg enough to avoid salmonella issues? It’s something I need to be very careful about. Otherwise these sound awesome.
    The hot cream will not bring the eggs up to 160°F for the recommended time, so be sure to use pasteurized eggs if you have any concerns. ~ MJ

10. annabelle

I have a question, could I substiitute the chocolate chips for nutella, making it nutella pots de creme?
    It won’t firm up as much, so it would stay a very soft pudding, but still be yummy! ~ MJ

11. AnneMarie

LOL. Oh I’ve made homemade pudding and dumped it into a jelly roll pan JUST to make a batch of leather. Mmmmmm. Back when we had pudding pops, REAL pudding pops they also sold pudding roll ups, like fruit roll ups.

Nuts, now I need to make pudding.

Sounds like my husband, who has made a boiled dinner just to turn it into hash! ~ MJ

12. grandmadot10285

I love choc pudding especially the one in the box that is cooked… I will try this so I can make my own with fresh ingredients..And the pie… what a Yummy idea..Beats having to bake it…

Sounds like you’re going to have a great time with this; it’s really a tasty recipe. Enjoy – PJH

13. Lynn

If you use a pasteurized egg and an additional pasteurized egg yolk, it will firm up and have a nice velvety texture.

Thanks for the tip, Lynn! PJH

14. Carol King

I remember making Pot de Creme for an assignment in French class in high school, but I lost the recipe! I remember a very easy and rich dessert. And hey it’s gluten free without any magic required on my part.

15. Cindy leigh

You know, it’s really the outside of the shell that’s more worrisome than the contents. Wash your eggs well before using, with dish soap and water, and rinse well.
    I have 20 hens and use raw eggs all the time, but I scrub the shell with soap and a plastic bristle brush.
    You can also take a different approach and temper the egg with the cream, make a custard of sorts so the egg is cooked, and then proceed. In most recipes. I’ve never tried this one.

Excellent advice, Cindy – and yeah, it’s the shell that’s the issue, not the contents. I just figure, people have been eating raw eggs for many, many centuries – and yes, chickens are raised differently now than they used to be, but still, I think the chance of a problem is slight – especially if you’re careful how you handle the egg to begin with, as you say. Thanks for your 2$ here, esp. since you have lots of experience with raw eggs from your 20 chickens! :) PJH

16. foxnad

You should be able to freeze the pots, correct? Just to have a spare dessert for last minute company.

Sure, as long as your “pots” are freezer-safe. Enjoy! PJH

17. Melissa Sibert

Bonnie, there is a dairy free version I think on The Pioneer Woman’s blog using hot coffee instead. I made it and it is delicious.

18. Sally Fowler

Looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad to share it, Sally – it’s always so satisfying to find a really tasty, REALLY easy recipe, isn’t it? Enjoy – PJH

19. ruthie

Do you think you could use almond milk. I make my own, so I could stop at the more creamy stage. I’ve never used it in anything where it was heated, though, so I’m not sure how that would work.
    Thanks

Ruthie, you could certainly use almond milk, but I don’t think it would thicken nearly as much as the recipe made with cream. It would definitely taste good; and you could put it in the freezer to help it thicken. Just make sure, if it freezes solid, to take it out in plenty of time to let it thaw a bit before serving. Good luck – and let us know how it goes, OK? PJH

20. BARBARA

When we lived in Paris I naturally took cooking classes.
    At the end of the introductory classes we were tested & each student selected a card with our “test dish”–I was so lucky as my selection was “Pots de Crème”—it is sooooo good & yours is much the same. We used Frangelico instead of other liqueurs.

Thanks ever so much for a trip down memory lane!

Frangelico is amazing with chocolate, definitely one of my favorite flavor combinations.-Jon

21. Heather

These turned out excellent! I didn’t have espresso powder and I substituted Folger’s instant coffee (it worked fine). As for the egg, since the shell is the concern, I immerse the egg in boiling water for a few seconds, then rinse in cold – that addresses any salmonella concerns. (I do the same when making mayo, etc.) Fresh raspberries were an awesome pairing! Thanks for the recipe!

Great, Heather – thanks for your enthusiastic feedback here, and for the tip. Many people don’t realize it’s the egg shell that can cause problems; if the egg is intact, the yolk/white will be fine. Glad you enjoyed the recipe – PJH

22. Caroline

LOVE this! I made the pie (and a couple of leftover cups), and it is incredible. I did use light cream (instead of heavy cream) and it was runnier than the pictures but the taste was wonderful. Next time I will either use less cream or just give in and use heavy cream (calories, shmalories). I also used less than 1/2 tsp vanilla because I’m not a huge vanilla fan and it was perfect. I will be making this again. Thank you for this indulgent recipe!

23. Ed

made this with an oreo (store bought) crust. Didn’t fill the crust as much as I would have like so I covered it with whipped cream. Left out the vanilla on accident so added it to the whipped cream. It was great. Made in a regular blender. I might try to scale it up next time to fill the crust and have leftovers ;-). My sister has a gluten issue so an almond meal crust and this might make an appearance at holiday time. Thanks.

Another way to keep them Gf would be to serve them in fancy individual tea cups. Betsy@KAF

24. Celia michEl

This is without a doubt the easiest and most delicious dessert recipe ever. Only one egg and a trace of sugar! Took it to two dinner parties with rave reviews. Make sure to scrape sides of the blender as you go so that the chocolate chips are finely ground. And bring the egg to room temp before you start. This recipe is a real keeper. Thx

25. Jeanne

I made your recipe for pots de creme today,exactly by your recipe, & 7 hours later they’re still not set up. What happened??? Can they be saved?

Jeanne, not sure what could have happened (you’ve got them in the fridge, right?), but stick them in the freezer, to harden up; depending on when you want to serve, if they get TOO hard, just take them out about 15 minutes before serving. Don’t worry – they’ll be delicious. PJH

26. Jeanne

I was afraid to put them in the freezer, didn’t want them to get “icey”.
    instead I put it all back in a pot, warmed it over boiling water, added 2 tbsp. corn starch diluted in some half & half & 1 tempered egg yolk. That did the trick!
    I had originally made two batches (separately, as doubling sometimes changes things), & neither one set up. One was just a bit firmer but not much. Still don’t know what happened. But all’s well that ends well!

Gitta, I haven’t. Anyone else out there tried it? It sounds like it would be yummy – thanks for the suggestion! PJH

2. Kathy Forester

I used lemon chips. Came out very good but very sweet. Next time I wont add sugar. I topped it with unsweetened whipped cream and that cut the sweetness. Really yummy. Great quick dessert. Cant wait to try it with some raspberry chocolate chips I have. Yummmmm :)

27. marileecm

I want to try these, but I rarely use my food processor because I often have leaks when using with liquid. My blender is the Classic Oster with only one speed. Any suggestions for me?

The quick recipe that PJ developed is a lovely one – quick, yes, and luxurious. You might make an equally luxurious, but slightly less quick version in your food processor by making two half batches. The smaller batches shouldn’t spill out of your machine.~Jaydl@KAF

28. Kirsten

I have a bag of already ground chocolate. Would 1 cup of ground chocolate be the same as 1 cup of chocolate chips, ground?
    And just when is National Pots de Créme Day? Need to mark that on my calendar!

August 27th is National Pots de Creme day. One cup of ground chocolate is likely a bit less than one cup of chocolate chips, ground. It depends how packed your ground chocolate is. If you have a scale, you will want to use 6 ounces of ground chocolate.~Jaydl@KAF

29. Linda

I understood chocolate chips have an additive to help them keep their shape when heated. Therefore, one might believe the pots de crème made with “chips” would be more dense than that made with “ground chocolate” or a chocolate “bar.” Is this a fair assumption, or will using my best chocolate bars (6 oz.) work, as well since I am not a big “chip” fan.

Use your favorite chocolate bars (6 ounces) and it should thicken just fine. We’d love to hear the results after you do the taste (and texture) test! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

30. Elle

I made these dairy/soy free by using Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips and a cup of coconut milk. They were divine! I’ll be making them that way often until my son outgrows his dairy/soy intolerance or weans! Thanks to the commenters who said it would work…such a wonderful treat!