King Arthur Flour Given Top Honors: B Corporation's Best for Workers

BestForTheWorld-Workers-750

“I heard you just got hired at King Arthur Flour!” an old friend recently posted to my Facebook wall. “You’re so lucky – are they hiring for anything I could do?”

Since accepting the position of PR coordinator last month, I’ve fielded this question a lot. King Arthur Flour is a fantastic place to work – and the word has gotten out. In addition to selling products that employees can be proud to stand behind, King Arthur Flour pays workers a living wage, offers a generous benefits package, and takes its social and environmental responsibilities seriously – key selling points for me when I considered employment with the company. So it’s comes as no surprise that King Arthur Flour was recently named Best of the Best for Worker Impact on B Corporations Best for the World list.

What is B Corporation, you ask?

“B Lab and the concept of Certified B Corporations was started by our three co-founders, Jay Coen Gilbert, Bart Houlahan and Andrew Kassoy,” says Katie Kerr of B Corporation. “They wanted to help consumers tell the difference between good companies and just good advertising, as well as help create the legal infrastructure to support companies and entrepreneurs using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems.”

To qualify for B Corporation certification (and the right to bear B Corp’s logo on products) companies must pass an impact assessment, and sign a Declaration of Interdependence. B Lab requires transparency from companies it certifies, and performs random on-site visits to confirm compliance.

What does this mean for you?  Well first and foremost, you can rest assured that when you buy B Corp Certified products, you are supporting companies that care – and when a company cares about the people it employs and the communities it serves, everyone wins.

Click here to check out all of the incredible things King Arthur Flour does for its community. Don’t forget to check out other B Corporation companies as well, and help us “B” the change!

Julia Reed

Julia Reed is a New England-based food and lifestyle writer/photographer, and Multimedia Producer at King Arthur Flour. Educated at Emerson College in Boston, she spent 5 years in Los Angeles before returning East, leaving behind food trucks, secret dinners, and year-round farmers' markets to pursue ...

comments

1. Paul from Ohio

CONGRATULATIONS to a spectacularly GREAT COMPANY! Well deserved award. Surely wish I’d learned about KAF long long ago AND found a way to EARN a job with you all.

Love the hard work that has gone into re-creating/creating FLOURISH – a brilliant use of the English language and a great slogan in line with the company’s main product and the word that epitomizes what use of your product does for all of us.

Like any CHANGE to a known entity – it will take us time to learn HOW to use all the great tools you’ve assembled in a newish way. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the PHOTOS! Absolutely KEY to noticing mouth-watering wonders and THE BEST PHOTOGRAPHY EVER! AAA+ for them.

Thanks too for the revitalized SEARCH of which I had had past discussions with staff.
    WAY TO GO KAF and all the staff that worked so creatively to produce FLOURISH. I’m sure it will win some website design awards, and certainly hope it is submitted for whatever such competitions exist!

1. Bill

Please use a larger font – I’m 72 y/o and have to squint terribly in attempting to read this blog.

The best word for what I’ve been able to make out is “cluttered”, just as an earlier poster noted.

Bring back the old way!

2. Karen

Congratulations! No company–or staff–deserves it more. I knew you were involved in the community, but not to this extent. You guys are awesome.
    It is because of your philosophy and the way you stand behind your products that, when I’ve got a choice between buying from a big box or KAF, I’ll go KAF every time. Why give my support to some CEO when I can support employee-owned!

If you ever decide to open a “branch office” in Oregon, let me know!

And love the new blog site.

1. Amy Trage

Thank you for your lovely feedback and for the encouragement. We really appreciate the support and are happy to hear that you are enjoying the redesign. ~Amy

3. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, R.J. - BRAZIL

I really wanted a chance to work in a company like yours. KAF is really an example of how one brand could spread knowleges around the world, and the efforts you had been done to bring us the better, FLOURISHED!
    I may say that i have a nice but suffered journey with breads. At 2003, after a riverflood destroyed a familiar pet-shop i owned at my city, i becomed a man, with unsolved financial situation. Then i experienced trouble days at 2008 when i was jobless and had no money to buy my breads daily!
    I decided to start searching a recipe at Internet of a bread i could bake and eat. I found that famous minimalist ´no-knead` bread that was published at NYT, by the hands of Jim Lahey. When i baked that first loave, i felt that God was comed to bless my life. Marvellous flaxseed bread! Then, i started baking not only to feed my family, but to start new work. I went to bread fairs, school bread baking work-shops and followed searching at Internet where i could learn more on how to bake better breads! Then i found this fantastic blog and interacted with you since that days! What great interaction!
    Nowadays im baker instructor at SENAC one of best technical bread baking school at Brazil. I´m proud and happy to say that more than 70% of what i know, i really learned from KAF´s blog! Then, i really can say that one of best challenges a company must follow is to improve actions to help people at communities and that these actions could CHANGE LIFES! KAF must really be CONGRATULATED. You really changed my life, and now, i´m trying to give to local community all the knowledge on how to bake better breads, with better ingredients and technics! This will always be my eternal efforts, and i´ll never forget the aim i get during the journey, from all you at KAF´s staff!
    Thanks and God Bless all you!

4. Cathy Blackman

CONGRATULATIONS!! It is heartwarming to know your company, as a company is so well thought of and that you care about the people who work there. The product line is incredible!!

5. Kate

No company deserves it more.

I was fortunate enough to take a 2-day baking class at KAF and was struck by how happy everyone is — and for good reason.

I’m a writer/editor who has been studying labor/management relations in the US since the Industrial Revolution. KAF just gets it right when so few do.

So, my question to you is: How do I get to work for KAF? (Only partially kidding…) Did I mention I love to bake??

Best,
    Kate

1. Amy Trage

Keep posted on our site for future positions that would enable you to work remotely! You never know …. ~Amy

6. Jan Mowbray

Congratulations in paying a Living Wage. It’s what workers deserve but not what they always get. Employees who are paid the Living Wage give back far more to their employers and I’m sure that’s what makes your product so good – satisfied employees.

7. helen crawford

Congratulations! Would not have thought any less of you. It is wonderful being recognized for who you are!! Celebrate.

8. Jan Ochs

Congratulations on your honors. I am hoping as a company that cares, you might take this suggestion into consideration. It is my understanding from things I’ve read, that the wheat that we eat today, is not the same wheat that our grandparents ate. I’ve read reports that say today’s wheat is genetically modified and processed in our gut differently, causing food allergies, intolerance to gluten and celiac disease in many, and contributing to obesity and diabetes. As a result, I try not to eat wheat products. But I certainly do miss them! Do you think it’s at all possible that your company could be a pioneer and find a wheat that isn’t “messed around with”, to use in your King Arthur flour? And I don’t just mean gluten-free. I mean good old fashioned wheat that was around a century ago…before “Scientists” started tinkering around with it? I would buy your flour by the boatload, if you could find a way to do that! Thanks for listening. ~ Jan

9. Nancy

Way to go, to everyone at KAF! If I had my life to do over again, I would seriously consider a career with you! (would have had to marry a different guy though)

10. lundcarol

Visited the store last Tuesday and bought a few of your products. Will be buying more on line.
    Will be making cookies for our library cookie sale in Dec. Trying to raise money for an addition.
    I will from now on purchase your products. I never realized what a great company you are.
    I thank you for caring about people and the economy and still make a profit. Thank You.
    I also appreciate the free recipes. Also enjoyed lunch at your restaurant and the cookies I took home.
    Keep up the good work.

11. shirley mcneL

YOU DID NOT ADDRESS THE COMMENT ABOUT GENETICALLY MODIFIED WHEAT.
    WHAT KIND OF WHEAT DO YOU USE? and has it been altered?

12. Karin Anderson (Karin's Bäckerei)

Congratulations! It’s good to know that I bake with flours that are processed by people who don’t have to work 3 jobs to make ends meet.

1. PJ Hamel

Thanks, Karin – when you’re working for one another rather than distant stockholders, a lot of things are different (better). Looks like you’ve got your own bakery, too. Hard work! Hope things are going well for you. Cheers – PJH

13. Karen Anderson

I agree fully with the “other” Karin/Karen Anderson! You are a great company with great products AND great people. Congrats!

14. judy holsapple

Congratulations!! I wish more companies treated employees with the respect KAF does. I am 72 and worked for a facility for 25+ years. New management came in and I was sweep out the door. Keep up the good work. Judy Holsapple

1. PJ Hamel

Judy, that’s a tough way to go – you have our sympathy. It’s really so satisfying to work for an employee-owned company; we all work for one another and care for each other. Plus I just love the work we do, helping people to bake. I hope your retirement has been pleasant so far – PJH