Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Cake: slow cookers aren't just for soup

Slow-Cooker-Peanut-Butter-Fudge-Cake_01

We’ve been on a roll here with our slow cooker resurgence. We’ve made soup, and brown bread.  We’ve gathered more recipes from our friends to try later, and we’ve even made cheesecake. Slow cookers are super versatile, and we’re lovin’ it.

So, what’s up next on our cookerfest menu?

How about another dessert? How about another dessert that includes two of America’s favorite flavors? How about a dessert that’s a peanut butter cake with magic hot fudge topping?

Hey MJ, how about you stop teasing and just get to the recipe?!

Um, sure I can, stomach that. How about you stop being a back seat digestive organ?!

Without any further ado, here’s the recipe for Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Cake.

1-DSCN0954

In a small bowl or measuring cup, blend together 1/2 cup  peanut butter, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. I find placing the whole thing in the microwave for 20 seconds or so makes the blending much easier.

2-DSCN0957

In a large bowl, place 1 cup of King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose flour, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Whisk together well, then pour the peanut butter mixture over the top of the dry ingredients.

3-DSCN0958

Mix together to form a thick cake batter. Depending on your peanut butter, your batter may be thick like a quick bread, or thinner like a regular cake batter. I tried both natural and commercial peanut butter, and both will work in the recipe.

If the batter is very thick, add another 2-3 tablespoons of milk to make it more pourable.

Place the batter into a well greased 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.

4-DSCN0968

Now for the chocolate fudge sauce. I used the same bowl to combine 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of King Arthur All-Purpose Baking Cocoa and 1 cup of boiling water. It will take a minute to whisk together into a thin chocolate liquid.

Pour this over the top of the peanut butter batter in the crock. DO NOT STIR TOGETHER! Just let the liquid sit on top of the cake.

Cover the cooker and “bake” on high heat for 2 to 3 hours.

5-DSCN0978

Oh lordy, that is no beauty queen cake now is it? BUT it smells divine, like the biggest Reese’s cup in history. Warm peanut butter cake now sits atop a lake of thick chocolate sauce. Little chocolate rivers run all throughout too.

Serve the cake warm right from the crock. Don’t worry about neatness, that’s for other cakes. Scoop up big globs of cake and fudge, and top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Scrape up some more fudge and drizzle it over the top. Grab a spoon and dig in.

This cake is perfect for game day, when you need a little something sweet after all those chicken wings and nachos. It is also perfect for a weeknight dessert. Older kids can mix this up in a jiffy when they arrive home from school, and dessert will be ready by the time you roll home.  Now, how’s that for teamwork?

Please make, rate and review our recipe for  Slow Cooker Peanut Butter Fudge Cake.

Print just the recipe

Would you rather turn on the oven? Check out our other pudding cake recipes.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Ann

How old is your slow cooker? I ask, because I understand that newer cookers cook at hotter temperatures than the first generation models.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

HI Ann,
      My cookers are about 5 to 8 years old, so not super new. It’s definitely going to vary the cooking time if you have a much older or much newer cooker, but thankfully the recipe is flexible and easy to keep an eye on. ~ MJ

2. Nikki Pals

I rarely use my slow cooker (Dutch oven or pressure cooker for me) is it possible to give baking instructions for the oven?

I am sorry to say that we don’t have instructions at this time for baking this cake in your oven. However, I will ask MJ and see if she has any tips. Jon@KAF

2. Lisa Meyer

Normally, slow cooker temps convert – 200 degrees for low and 300 degrees for high…with that being said, I would start checking it at 15 minute increments after an hour…

3. Judi

With the slow cooker recipes, please, please, please note what size you did the test recipe in. This can make a significant difference!

4. Patty

I second Ann’s question – I used to be able to cook spaghetti sauce in my slow cooker, but slow cookers I have had in the last 10 years have hot spots and always burn it (if I am away at work all day and can’t stir).

Obviously, this isn’t one for when you’re at work, but I am thinking one may need to be around the move the crock portion around so there is one hot spot.

5. Amy

Ann, I’m just a fellow home baker, but I thought I would let you know that I whipped up this cake this afternoon and it is currently in a 6 qt crock pot. This is my first crock pot cake. I doubled the recipe and believe it will take 2 hours +/- in a 6 qt crock pot. It has been on for an hour on high and has doubled in size. It is very moist. I don’t expect it to take more than 1 more hour max. My crock pot is around 5 years old.

6. Kathy

This recipe looks yummy and I plan to try it. Does the cake stick to the slow cooker? I saw a “America’s Test Kitchen” show on TV last week and they did bread pudding in the slow cooker. To avoid sticking to the sides they first lined the cooker with aluminum foil then put the ingredients inside that.

It is likely that this cake will stick to your crock pot! MJ made sure to well grease her pot before placing in any ingredients. Also, the aluminum foil or even parchment cut to fit the pot will help to prevent sticking. Jon@KAF

Sorry, this is not something we have tried with this recipe. However, feel free to give it a try! Jon@KAF

I’m sorry, we haven’t attempted this recipe with a gluten free flour. I will certainly suggest this to our test kitchen! Jon@KAF

7. Cynthia

I admit I was skeptical when I tried the recipe this afternoon and poured the chocolate liquid on top of the cake batter! But, it worked beautifully! For questions above — I have a 6 quart slow cooker and it took about 1 1/2 hours on High. I greased the crock with Pillsbury cooking spray (which is flour and oil combined) and loosened the edges once it was “baked”. No problems with sticking. Thanks for another great easy recipe!

8. Jared

I think a water bath for the individual mason jars would be great for whoever asked. I use this technique for grains frequently and I suspect it would transfer effectively. Maybe I will have time to play around with it that way I could make four small cakes at a time for my wife and I.

A water bath is a great idea! Please let us know how it works if you give it a try. Jon@KAF

9. Momo

Oh, I do hope you’ll experiment with making this in jars, good KA bakers and customers both. I’d love it if this could be cooked using a slow cooker like a bain marie. I love to make recipes in them and freeze all but two so that we can have dessert, but not a whole recipe of it since there are only two of us at home now. I hope you’ll do a LOT of recipes in a short squatty pint or half pint jar. They are perfect for gifting or eating at home, or simply screw on the lid and take it with you for lunch on a beautiful beach or at the office. I do chicken pot pie, beef pot pie, and fruit pies so far. Meals in jars should be a whole department at King Arthur, IMHO, LOL!

10. Suzanne

In your top picture of the cake in the little jars, is the chocolate sauce on top of the vanilla ice cream the same sauce that the cake cooks with? It looks so thick. I wouldn’t dream the sauce would come out like that. It looks wonderful and I would love to have my house smell like reese’s all the time!

MJ luckily is right here beside me. The chocolate sauce on the ice cream is indeed the cake’s sauce folded up from below. Yum, no?~Jaydl@KAF

11. paulaG

I may give this a try with KF’s new Gluten Free Baking Mux. It sounds like the perfect dessert for casual entertaining.