Buttery Herb-Garlic Pull-Apart Bread: Zo, what's up?

I love love LOVE yeast bread.

And, thanks to an early introduction to yeast baking courtesy of the book Beard on Bread, I’ve been baking with yeast for over 35 years. In that time, I’ve never met a pizza, slice of cinnamon toast, chunk of baguette, or sourdough pretzel I didn’t like. (Well, there WAS that pizza at the diner in Maine that was memorable for its pure awfulness; but truly, it was an aberration. And no, I won’t tell you where the diner was; thankfully, it’s closed.)

I’d always baked yeast bread with the help of a KitchenAid stand mixer. But when bread machines made their appearance 20 or so years ago, I started alternating my KitchenAid with a Zojirushi – to knead the dough, but not to bake the bread. Call me old-fashioned (many do), but I still like baking my bread in a pan in the oven.

Plus, I like going way beyond typical sandwich loaves. The Zo does a superior job kneading, then raising the dough. I then take that dough and make dinner rolls, focaccia, bread sticks, sticky buns… Making Zo dough is a no-brainer, for sure; I do it often.

Last year, Zojirushi came out with a machine that tempted me to try it again for baking – not just kneading. The Virtuoso, with a special “shape” cycle, allows you to pause the machine as you shape the kneaded dough into a braid or monkey bread. You then put the shaped loaf back into the machine, and let it finish rising and baking. I tried it (results below); works like a charm.

Then I started thinking, I’ll bet this will work in any Zojirushi. Sure enough, while the “shape” cycle is a help (since you can work with the dough and not affect the timing of the other cycles), you can program any Zo with a homemade menu to perform basically the same function: baking shaped breads.

If you have a Zojirushi, I’m going to show you just how easy it is to make AND bake something beyond a plain rectangular loaf.

If you don’t have a bread machine, no worries; you can still make the bread. Use the following recipe for reference, and find directions for baking at the end of the post.

Thankfully, there are multiple paths to this same tasty destination – Buttery Herb-Garlic Pull-Apart Bread.

Let’s get started. If you have a Zojirushi Virtuoso, program it as follows: no Rest; Knead, 20 minutes; Shape, on (it will read 1:00); Rise 1, off; Rise 2, off; Rise 3, 60 minutes; Bake, 52 minutes. Include the Keep-Warm option or not; your choice.

If you have a different model Zojirushi, you can program it much the same way, though you won’t have the Shape option. Program as follows: no Rest; Knead, 20 minutes; Rise 1, off; Rise 2, 20 minutes; Rise 3, 60 minutes; Bake, 52 minutes. Include the Keep-Warm option or not; your choice.

zo1

Combine the following in the Zo’s bucket:

3 1/2 cups (14 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons potato flour or 1/4 cup instant potato flakes
3 tablespoons Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup Herb and Garlic Artisan Bread Flavor or 1 to 2 tablespoons of your favorite dried herbs
4 tablespoons soft butter
2/3 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup lukewarm milk

Press start. Check the dough after about 13 minutes of kneading; add additional flour or water as needed to make a soft, smooth dough.

For the Virtuoso: after 20 minutes of kneading, the Shape cycle will begin. Remove the dough from the machine, and set it on a lightly greased work surface. Remove the paddles from the machine.

For other models Zojirushi: After 20 minutes of kneading, remove the dough from the machine, and set it on a lightly greased work surface. Remove the paddles from the machine.

zo2

Divide the dough into 32 pieces. You don’t have to be super-accurate here (though, if you use a scale, you can be). Shape the pieces into smooth balls — or not; ragged pieces will make just as tasty (though not as pretty) a loaf.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Dip the top of each ball into melted butter; you probably won’t use all the butter.

zo3

Lay 11 balls into the bottom of the Zo pan, buttered side up. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese.

Use 11 balls of dough to make a second layer; top with another 1/3 cup cheese, and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, if desired.

Top with the final 10 balls of dough; again, make sure their buttered sides are up. Place the pan back in the machine.

For the Virtuoso: press Start. This will move the machine to the next cycle. For other models: no need to press Start, the machine will continue on its programmed cycle automatically.

zo5

When the bread is done, remove it from the machine, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Brush with any remaining melted butter.

Serve warm; marinara sauce is a nice accompaniment, as is plain olive oil.

See why this is a wonderful party bread? Imagine setting this hot loaf on the table, and people pulling off pieces to dip in sauce or oil… Definitely an icebreaker!

Want to make this bread without a bread machine? No problem.

Mix and knead the dough, and divide it into pieces. Layer the pieces, as directed at right, into a lightly greased 9″ loaf pan. Allow the bread to rise until it’s crowned about 1/2″ over the rim of the pan; bake it in a preheated 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until it’s golden brown and a digital thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 190°F. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.

Read, bake, and review our recipe for Buttery Herb-Garlic Pull-Apart Bread.

comments

1. Carolyn

Sounds great, but…….. My Zo died. I am totally bereft. Having to learn to make bread all over again in the standing mixer. I think the problem with the Zo is a broken drive belt. Everything sounds fine but the paddles don’t rotate. I live in central NC and the nearest official repair shop is in VA. I hate to think what the round trip shipping would be. Plus the repair cost. Ohh, the trials and tribulations of being retired.

1. Karen

The belt is fairly simple to replace. You can order a new belt online. Just remove the bottom of your Zo and visually check to see that the belt is broken. If after you’ve tried to replace the belt yourself and you don’t think you can do it then you can take it to be fixed. You will have lost nothing. But I think you will be able to do it yourself and save the trip and labor charge.

2. Anneedelweiss

I, too, treasure my copy of Beard on Bread – mine is of the new-ish year 2009 edition. Many delightful baked goodies from that slim volume. One of many personal favorites is the persimmon bread – with some very ripe Hachiya and the best Cognac in my pantry – not a yeast bread, but it makes a nice change from banana bread, which I also bake often.

So many good recipes, so little time. I’ve found that I don’t have to “eat it all” to enjoy baking – the process to create something delicious is rewarding enough. (Yes, I do care about my figure!)

When it comes to making yeast dough, although I have a stand mixer I prefer just using my hands. But then, as I get older (who isn’t?) and the strength of my wrist is no long as firm, I can see the benefit of using a machine for heavy mixing. I might even need a complete machine like ‘Zo’ one day. Who can turn down the promise of easy, freshly baked bread? Lucky for us there are more than one way to get that warm loaf.

A loaf of pulled-apart bread is nice. It sets the stage for that warm ritual of breaking bread together with fellow diners. Herb and garlic sound good, too. I just might try this recipe this coming weekend. Thanks so much for this and other well-written posts – definitely one of the best things since the invention of web sites. Carry on!

Thanks so much for your kind words here, Anne – sounds like we’re coming from the same place. “So many recipes, so little time…” We’ll just have to do the best we can, eh? :) PJH

3. Sabrina

Is the only way to make this in a bread machine? These look so good but a bread machine is way out of my budget. :(

1. Amy Trage

You can still make this if you don’t have a bread machine! Just mix and knead in a stand mixer with the dough hook, allow the dough to rise, then shape balls into a loaf pan and bake at 400° until the internal temperature of the loaf reaches 190-205°. ~Amy

2. Sabrina

Amy, thanks for the tips on how to make it with a stand mixer. I will be trying these in the very near future.

No, Amy, I’d give it about 7 minutes at medium speed; that should be sufficient. Good luck – PJH

4. beverly

will get larger machine but my baby ZO is fine we been together lest than a year not dicspointed. she is a work horse.

5. Sharon Martin

I am excited to see this post because I have my first Zo Virtuoso arriving tomorrow; however, I am a bit intimidated by all of its capabilities. So thank you for detailing this recipe’s exact settings! This will be the first recipe I’ll bake.

Sharon, just take it slowly; you don’t have to get up to speed all at once. Definitely try the “regular” cycles, as well as programming in your own; the more you bake, the more familiar you’ll become with the machine’s capabilities, the more you’ll find yourself using it! Enjoy – PJH

6. LeAnne

This recipe looks great. I’ll be making it this week!! Thanks for explaining how to do it with the older Zojirushi models. (I have the bbcc-x20.)

Can you explain why the recipe uses all purpose flour instead of bread flour? I thought that I needed to use bread flour in the bread machine.

7. jan

I have a Breville Bread Maker for 1lb up to 2.5

Can anyone help translate top this machine (I really miss my old ZO)

Sure wish we could check your bread machine to see if you can program it – and if you can remove the blades after the final knead to allow the time to shape, proof or rise and bake. If you can do these things, making the rolls in the bread machine you have may indeed be possible. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

2. Karen

I have an old cheapie bread machine that I cannot program, but I’ve made shaped bread in it for years, especially during the summer when I don’t want to heat up the kitchen.

I simply use the “dough” setting, and, when it’s done, I take out the dough and paddle, grease the paddle post, and put the shaped bread in, just as P. J. describes. I let it rise (set my oven timer), and then press the “bake” setting, and viola! Shaped bread, fresh from the machine!

Well, Karen, who knew?! Thanks for letting those with older bread machines know that they can try this. Certainly adds to the machine’s versatility, doesn’t it? PJH

8. Mary J Buchholz

Just pulled from the oven. Did not rise as good as I expected, but it might have been my yeast. Still tasted good. Will try again with new yeast.

Be sure you’re using instant or active dry yeast – not Rapid Rise! We hope you’ll post your new and improved results soon….in the meantime, if you want to trouble shoot before you bake again – call our baker’s hotline at 855-371-2253. Irene@KAF

9. Claudia

Can’t wait to try this recipe! Do you happen to have or know of recipe for Apple Bread that I can make in my ZO? I haven’t seen one that sounds like what I am looking for, little chunks of apple in the bread, much like if you were making a cinnamon-raisin loaf except the apple chunks replaces the raisins. Thank you.

We have a great roasted apple bread recipe, but it relies on a long, slow rise and a clay baker for best results. This just won’t give you the same results in the bread machine. Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

10. Isabel

Can I use AP flour to for the basic bread recipe in my Zo?

“The Baker’s Hotline
    November 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    If you want the soft and supple rolls, then all purpose is your best baking friend. Bread flour will create a roll that’s firmer and slightly more chewy. Many of our bread machine recipes are written for AP flour – Happy Baking! Irene@KAF”

11. Rockycat

I don’t have dry milk powder (other than buttermilk powder) in the house and I’d rather not buy a whole box just for a few spoonsful. Is there any substitute for the non-fat dry milk powder in this recipe?

If anything I would try making this recipe with your buttermilk powder! You also have the option of using potato flour as a replacement. Jon@KAF

12. Rockycat

Thanks for the fast response. One more question…
    If I’m making this recipe without a bread machine, do I want to do 1 rise or 2? It looks to me like the Zo recipe has you program 2 rises but the Bakers’ Tips has you doing only 1 rise once the bread is in the pan. Do I want to do a first rise before shaping the dough and if so, what would I be looking at, about 1 1/2 – 2 hours?
    Thanks.

Hi, Rocky – if you’re not using a bread machine, then yes, give it a first rise of about 60 to 90 minutes before shaping. PJH

13. KR

There are a few confusing and/or inconsistent things stated here and in the comments:

1. When using the older Zo, it’s not clear how to pause it while doing the “shaping” step. My guess is that the 20 minute “Rise 2″ is intended so you can use those 20 minutes to do the shaping, but if so it would be good to make that clear in the description. Also, is there a way to put the older Zo on hold/pause while you’re doing the shaping? If so, then maybe the 20 minute Rise 2 isn’t needed.

2. The directions say that if you’re baking in an oven, you should use 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. But one of the King Arthur responses in the comments says to bake at 400 degrees. Whichever one is wrong should probably be removed/corrected to avoid confusion.

3. As far as I can tell, the recipe for using the newer Zo has just one 60-minute rise cycle after the balls are shaped — and no rising before the balls are shaped. In one of the comments, though, the Baker’s Hotline says definitely to use 2 rises, once with the bulk dough (before shaping) and once after. Again, those are different, so whichever one is wrong should probably be removed/corrected.

Hi – I’ll try to clarify for you here.
      1) There’s no way to pause an older Zo; thus the 20-minute “rise” cycle, which serves as 20 minutes during which you can shape your dough and get it back into the machine.
      2) 350°F is correct. I’ll try to find that incorrect response and delete it.
      3) That’s right, just one rise. Again, I’ll remove the incorrect response.
      Thanks! PJH

14. El

I ordered the mini Zoe that makes 1 pound loaves of bread. Would love to make this recipe when the mini Zoe arrives. Could you please convert this recipe for a one pound machine?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Should work well using 2/3 the listed ingredients; but keep the yeast at 2 teaspoons. Good luck – PJH

15. AKmomma

I gave away my ZO years ago to a younger woman that wanted to try breadmaking. I still make lots of breads, but use my Kitchenaid instead, mostly because I make enough to share and so need to split the dough to more than one pan. I made this recipe today, It went together easily and the dough is lovely, and it smells wonderful. I haven’t tried it yet, but it will be delicious. One loaf for me, and one for a friend for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for this recipe, it will be a favorite.

16. Teri

I would like to make these for Christmas dinner. Is the cheese necessary in order to have them pull apart? Looking for a more traditional Christmas roll but like the idea of baking in the breadmaker.

Lindsay, you can substitute real mashed potato in place of the potato flakes in this recipe. You’ll want to cook the potato ahead of time so that it is nice and soft (no peel)–the microwave for 5-10 minutes is easiest, depending on the size of the potato. Be sure to prick it with a fork before hand so that any excess moisture can escape during the cooking process. Use equal parts mashed potato to potato flakes–a total of 1/4 cup in this recipe. Good luck and happy baking! –Kye@KAF