Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: a candy kind of cookie

GF-Peanut-Butter-Cookies_02

Ok, I admit it. When I was a kid, my favorite thing to eat after school was a bowl of peanut butter  with chocolate chips. If we were out of chips, I would desperately reach for the chocolate sauce on the fridge door. Occasionally, I’d even stir in some vanilla ice cream. It’s not the way I’d choose to get my fix now, but then, it was my usual.

Do I buy the whole romance idea of chocolate finding peanut butter by a chance, clumsy collision between a dude with a chocolate bar and a lady waltzing with a spoon and a jar of Jif? I don’t think so. That was just a dumb commercial! : )

In fact, most accounts of history award the founding of this famous combination to Harry Reese, who began working for Milton Hershey’s Pennsylvania chocolate factory back in 1917. Talk about a flavor fusion that endured! And it’s not just for candy anymore.

Sometimes gluten-free just means it needs to be flourless, right? Flourless chocolate cake, flourless fudge cookies, and flourless chocolate nut cake are three fabulous recipes for you gluten-free chocolate-lovers out there.

And for those of you who can’t get enough nut butter in your life, follow me to make this easy cookie with just a few simple ingredients you’re sure to have on hand!

Better preheat your oven to 350°F right now, because you might be done mixing this dough before the oven’s hot!

Using your mixer, beat 1 cup smooth peanut butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and a pinch of salt at medium speed until the ingredients are well blended.

WAIT!!! Before you pull out your favorite oil-topped natural, coarsely ground peanut butter, let me intervene. I am as crunchy of a hippie granola as they come, and love my all-natural and organic foods, but was completely disappointed when I tested this at home with my freshly ground local coop’s peanut butter. The cookies were dry and gritty. Gritty! The ONE thing we try to avoid when using gluten-free flour, and here there was no flour to take the blame!

So Peter (yes the Pan Man), Skippy, and Jif were soon welcomed into my pantry, just for this purpose. Heck, it IS a cookie after all, right? No need to be a purist!

Add the egg and teaspoon of vanilla, blending on low-medium speed until incorporated. I did not try using an egg substitute with this recipe, but feel free to experiment with flax or a powdered replacement.

Stir in the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips on low speed until incorporated. I prefer mini chips for this cookie, but feel free to use the big guys, too.

Scoop the dough by the tablespoonful onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (a tablespoon cookie scoop is best for this job), and push the top of the dough to flatten just slightly.

Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven. The tops should be slightly crinkled; you want to take them out BEFORE they begin to brown on the edges.

Cool the cookies right on the pan.

These melt on your tongue and are, in my opinion, one of the best texture combinations gluten-free cookies could have. If you’re into nutty-sweet-soft-and-tender-but-slightly-chewy with delightful little bursts of chocolate, then I hope you’ll dig into this one, because it won’t exhaust you – or your pantry.

No butter? No flour? Sure, you can still make cookies. No problem!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. Everice Moro

I actually have a question. Can I substitute sunflower seed butter for the peanut butter for my peanut and gluten-free grandson? I’d love to make a special treat for him. Thanks.

I’m sorry, we have not tested this recipe with anything beyond standard peanut butter. However, you can certainly give it a try and see how it works! Jon@KAF

2. Kristi B

I’m sure you could. I have made a recipe just like this and used almond butter instead of peanut butter. It was delicious!

2. Eileen

Thanks for the GF cookies recipe! I wonder- do you think adding a bit of fat or oil would have helped that natural peanut butter cookie’s texture? Oh, and as of 1433 EST 12/14/13 the top of post recipe link is broken.

Thanks for the tip about the recipe link – it appears to be working fine today (12-15) probably due to sharp-eyed blog readers like you! Amy found the standard PB best instead of more variables in the recipe if you use natural (how much oil to add, what about different natural butters). Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

3. Janet

I have made this recipe countless times. I always double the recipe, I use crunchy peanut butter. These cookies are awesome. They freeze well. Everyone loves them. The mixture looks greasy when you are mixing dough, that is okay.

4. Eric AKA VibeGuy

This is one of my favorite GF recipes; most people cannot believe they’re GF. Peanut butter cookies are one of those things where wheat flour doesn’t make it better, it just makes things tougher and less peanut-buttery.

5. milkwithknives

I completely love these cookies. And I agree with your version using only 3/4 cup of sugar. I find that cookies made with a full cup just taste like sugar. I have to admit, I never thought to put chocolate chips in before. Great post.

They are one of my favorite cookies that we have made, I’m glad to hear that your sister enjoyed them as well. Jon@KAF

6. Miss_Malapert

I tried this recipe for the first time while multitasking and ended up making a mistake or two, but these were still delicious. I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown, and accidently added two eggs to the batter instead of one. The addition of dark brown sugar with bittersweet chocolate chips made the cookies a little less sweet and the texture was perfect for bar cookies. They tasted even better the next day!

7. Tina

This was a great recipe! I tried substituting the ground flax seed and water mixture for the egg to make them vegan for my husband, and that seemed to work out just fine. This recipe will be a new staple in my kitchen because they were so easy and quick to make. Thank you!

8. Terri

I made these with Natural Peanut Butter and they came out fine I also only used 3/4 cup of sugar nad did not use vanilla. I also added about 1/3 cup of oatmeal and 1 egg white. They were delicious.

That sounds like some successful experimenting, Terri! We love to hear about what works and what doesn’t. Being a peanut butter lover, I need to try these. Elisabeth@KAF

9. KarenvG

Some family members are allergic to peanuts. So would this recipe work with almond butter and not require any recipe adjustments?

1. Amy Trage , post author

Sure, you can use a different nut butter! I know that others have tried it and had no problems at all. ~Amy

10. Lisa

While making these cookies I accidentally mixed all of the ingredients together at once except for the chocolate chips, then folded in the chips. They still came out really good! I also used Jiff Natural and they are amazing!! Super easy cookie to whip up! Thank you for sharing!

11. Connie

Fabulous! I’ve made a similar recipe for years that calls for 1 c. white sugar, and I have to say this is soooo much better! Brown sugar is always better in my book and since it’s 3/4 c., I love that it is not so sweet. Love the mini chips too. Now to hold off on eating the whole batch! Thank you, KAF!

12. Ellen Anderson

I made this recipe with almond butter and it is absolutely delicious! Better than cookies with flour! The dough is sticky but if you moisten your hands it does not stick. My GF Dad loves them. I have to say I used white sugar and dark chocolate chips. I will try them soon with other nut butters. How about cashew butter for something truly decadent?!

1. PJ Hamel

Ellen, cashew butter would certainly float my boat! Thanks for sharing your substitution here – it’s great to broaden all of our horizons. PJH

13. Kelly Wennik

I’ve made these twice now, and love the flavor of them but they are extremely fragile and crumbly. Is that normal?

The first time I made them and cooked them 10 minutes in my DCS oven–not enough cooking time. Left them a couple more minutes, but they were still extremely fragile. Melt in your month delicious though!

The second time (today) I cooked them for 15 minutes and they finally seem sort of “set” but still very fragile. They are not remotely brown around the edges. Do you think I should cook these with the convection on? Should I increase the temperature a tad?

Also, this time I used light brown sugar and they seem grittier than before with the dark brown sugar.

Both times I’ve used the Guittard mini-semisweet chips. Yum!!

Any input appreciated!

Kelly

14. Rebecca

Ridiculously good and so easy! Question, have you tried substituting egg with applesauce or a “flax egg”, for a vegan version?

Hmm, I don’t believe we have and I am not sure it would work with this type of cookie. The eggs are really the only structural and binding element of this cookie, so flax or other egg replacers may not hold up. Jon@KAF

15. "Suzanne Q."

Super easy recipe that produces deliciously peanut-buttery cookies! Baked them last night for the first time and will be baking them again!

16. Soph

I’ve made these several times and definitely concur that the natural peanut butter just doesn’t work as well here. A friend said they were the closest thing to a Reese’s that he’d ever tried, which is about the highest compliment I can think of for a peanut butter cookie. They are very fragile, but if you let them cool all the way, they get a little sturdier. I like to make them with chocolate chunks (not chips) which makes them extra gooey and messy. These are undoubtedly the best GF cookies I’ve ever tried, and the best peanut butter cookies ever as well!