Pizza Prep: a New Year's Eve make-ahead, stay-at-home feast

Did you know New Year’s is one of the biggest takeout pizza occasions of the year?

Truth. In order, more takeout pizza is consumed on 1) Halloween, 2) Super Bowl Sunday, 3) New Year’s Eve, 4) New Year’s Day, and 5) Thanksgiving Eve, than any other days of the year.

Now, put New Year’s Eve and Day together, and you’ve got one hot pizza holiday!

I love takeout pizza. But that’s because I love ALL pizza. Like Chinese food, and brownies, and spaghetti and meatballs, and cinnamon toast, it just never gets old for me. I could eat pizza every day – save for the calories (and their immediate application to my hips).

So, pizza is an occasional (and thus special) treat. And if that’s the place it holds in my life, I’d just as soon my pizza be homemade (thanks just the same, Pizza Hut).

For the past few years, I’ve been making giant, rectangular, thick-crust Sicilian-style pizzas for an annual family party – and they get rave reviews. When you’re used to takeout (as I assume the vast majority of Americans are), homemade is a revelation.

My pizzas are topped not with typical Italian toppings, but with sautéed Portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, and three-cheese sauce; or with scallions, Buffalo chicken bits, and a scatter of blue cheese crumbles.

Sometimes I lay down a base of Brie, and arrange golden roasted potato chunks on top; other times, it’s steak tips, cheddar, and roasted peppers, for a “steak bomb” approach.

So many homemade pizzas – so little time!

The holidays are about to wrap up, with one final occasion to break out the bubbly: New Year’s. And while I won’t be hosting the party this year (it’s someone else’s turn!), I’ve volunteered to supply part of the buffet dinner: make-your-own pizza. Or, top-your-own pizza, to be exact, because I’ll have the crusts made, shaped, and baked when I arrive at the festivities.

If there’s any challenge at all to homemade pizza, it’s making the crust. I mean, who can’t drizzle tomato sauce and sprinkle cheese? No, it’s that pesky crust that makes people think twice about the pizza recipe, then speed-dial Domino’s.

The solution? Make the crust ahead of time, without the pressure of a hard deadline. I’ve taken to always making my crust ahead – and I don’t mean just the dough. I make the dough, let it rise, shape it, let it rise again, then bake it halfway. When it’s just set, and its bottom beginning to brown, I pull it out of the oven, cool it, and wrap. If I’ll be using it within a few days, it sits on the counter; for longer storage, it goes in the freezer. Either way, when pizza sounds its siren song, I have crust ready – awaiting only its toppings and a quick trip through a hot oven.

Tuesday is New Year’s Eve – which means tonight I’ll start the crust, tomorrow I’ll finish it, and Tuesday night I’ll bring it to the party, along with a selection of toppings, from classic pepperoni and mozzarella to Cabot Habanero cheddar, sautéed baby bellas, roasted cheery tomatoes, and crisp fried bacon (of course). Everyone will have their own personal pizza to top and enjoy – while the hostess and I kick back with a glass of wine.

This New Year’s Eve, think outside the (takeout) box – homemade pizza is terrific, and much easier than you think.

First, decide how many crusts you want to make. Here’s a rule of thumb: a recipe using 3 cups of flour will yield 10 personal-sized (about 6″ diameter) medium-crust pizzas; or six 6″ diameter thick-crust pizzas; or 10 “cracker crust” (ultra thin crust) pizzas, about 7″ in diameter.

My suggestion: go with the medium-crust pizzas, unless you know for sure you’ll be feeding a NYC-style, cracker-crust crowd; or a group that goes for thick, Sicilian-style crusts.

The following recipe for Now or Later Pizza (either version, with or without semolina) makes 10 medium-thick, 6″ crusts; it’s easily doubled to make 20 crusts, for larger gatherings.

Since I really do enjoy a nicely flavored pizza crust – rather than some cardboardy thing that’s only there to corral the toppings – I give my dough an overnight rest in the fridge before shaping. As the chilled dough continues to rise, slowly, the yeast creates alcohol and organic acids – both wonderful flavor carriers.

pizza1

Combine the following:

3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Pizza Dough Flavor (optional, but delicious)
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup lukewarm water

Beat the ingredients at high speed for 2 minutes, using your stand mixer equipped with the beater blade. Switch to the dough hook, and knead for 7 minutes; the dough should be smooth and quite soft. You can also make the dough in a bread machine set on the dough cycle.

If kneading by hand, mix the ingredients, then let the dough rest, covered, for about 30 minutes; this will give the flour a chance to absorb the water, which will make kneading easier.

Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 45 minutes; then refrigerate it for 4 hours (or up to 36 hours); this step will develop the crust’s flavor. It’ll continue to rise in the fridge, so make sure it’s in a big enough bowl.

Note: If you’re in a hurry and don’t care to refrigerate the dough, let it rise in the bowl for about 90 minutes before using.

When you’re ready to make the crusts, remove the dough from the refrigerator, and gently deflate it.

Next, divide the dough into however many crusts you think you’d like to make. A piece of dough somewhere in size between a golf ball and billiard ball (about 2 1/4 ounces, about 64g) will make the size pizzas mentioned above: a medium-thickness crust, about 5 1/2″ to 6″ diameter. So divide your dough into 10 pieces, if this is the size you want.

Gently stretch each piece into a flattened disk about 5 1/2″ in diameter. Lay the disks on lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets (3 or 4 to a sheet), and let them rest while you’re preheating the oven to 425°F.

If you have a pizza stone, now’s your chance to use it; place it on the bottom shelf of the oven as the oven preheats.

Not into standard crusts? Try a cracker-thin, New York-style crust.

pizza3

An easy way to create this super-thin crust is to place a flattened ball of dough on a 9″ parchment cake round. Cover with more parchment, and roll VERY thin – the disk will stretch to about 7″ diameter. Remove the top piece of parchment, but leave the crust on the bottom piece; it’s too thin to try to transfer to a pan.

pizza4

Once the oven is heated, bake the standard crusts for about 10 to 12 minutes, or just until their bottoms start to brown. You may also see the slightest bit of brown on top, too. You want the crusts set (done enough so they won’t deflate), but not completely baked.

If you’re baking thin cracker crusts, bake just until the very edges of the crust are brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. If you see it ballooning up like pita bread, just stick your hand into the oven and poke it with a sharp knife; it’ll deflate.

Now, what about if you like those thick, Sicilian-style crusts?

Divide the dough into six pieces initially, rather than 10. Flatten each piece into a round about 5 1/2″ in diameter. Place the rounds on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover the sheet, and let them rise for 1 to 2 hours, until they’re quite puffy.

Bake these thick crusts for about 13 minutes.

Here’s the result of my various size experiments: four standard crusts; one cracker crust; and three thick crusts, from one 3-cup-flour dough recipe.

And here’s the difference between a cracker crust, and a thick crust.

They all look pretty unprepossessing, don’t they? Never fear; dress them up with toppings, and you’ll see them in a whole new light.

First, though, decide if you want to bake pizzas right away, or store the crusts until later.

To store, simply wrap them as airtight as possible in a big bag, and leave them at room temperature for several days. If it’s particularly hot and/or humid, freeze them – which is also what you’d do for longer storage, up to a month or so.

At some point, someone’s going to say, “Can we have pizza tonight?”

Sure!

If the crusts have been frozen, let them thaw, unwrapped at room temperature, while you prepare your toppings. Don’t worry, they’ll warm up quickly.

Preheat the oven to 425°F (again using a stone, if you have one).

pizza5

Top the pizzas as desired. This is the fun part – let everyone do their own thing.

Bake the pizzas on the stone, or on a lower rack of the oven, for about 15 minutes; the cracker crust will be done a couple of minutes sooner. Your goal is pizzas that are nicely browned, top and bottom; move them around in the oven if necessary (bottom to top, top to bottom), to achieve this goal.

Remove the pizzas from the oven. Dig in!

Nice crusts: thick on the bottom, standard on top.

Here’s a shot of all three thicknesses – see why that thin crust on top is called “cracker”?

Now, one final note: don’t feel you have to make one of these three specific crust types. Want a slightly puffier standard crust? Let it rise longer. A cracker crust with a bit of chew? Let it rise for 30 minutes or so. How about a thick crust that’s more substantial, and not QUITE as tall? Let it rise for 30 to 60 minutes, instead of 2 hours.

See where I’m going here? To a large extent, the final thickness of your crust depends on how long you let it rise before baking. Experiment; you’ll soon discover your preferred degree of thickness.

Note: While this method can be applied to any pizza dough recipe, I used our recipe for Now or Later Pizza.

Happy New Year! All of us here at King Arthur Flour wish you a joyful, healthy 2014, filled with laughter, love, and good things from your kitchen.

comments

1. kylie

You mentioned a giant rectangular pizza at the top of this post. How many large rectangular ones would this recipe make? Approximately what size would they be assuming medium thickness?
    This would be perfect for my upcoming NYE party!

Kylie, a 3-cup-flour recipe makes one thick-crust 12″ x 16″ pizza. So I’d say, probably two 12″, not-quite-as-thick round pizzas? Enjoy – PJH

2. Wendy / Cabot

I love this post for so many reasons. With my Cabot hat on, I am giddy that you include some Cabot cheese as topping options. Go habanero!!

With my baker and mom and friend and entertainer hats on, I am overjoyed by the prospect of making my crust ahead! I never, ever thought of it. And your recipe looks just perfect. Of course, your recipes most always are. But anyway, we were just talking about DIY pizzas for New Years and this makes me so very happy. I’m going to start on these as soon as I finish my coffee. Thanks PJ!

Wendy, Cabot is in my fridge 100% of the time – I love all your cheddars, from mild to “Seriously” to cloth-bound, as well as your other cheeses and flavored cheddars, plus the fact you offer low-fat cheeses for those times when I’m counting calories. Add your butter and yogurt and sour cream, and it’s win-win-WIN! Enjoy your crusts – and your New Year celebration. Cheers – PJH

3. waikikirie

Thanks for the reminder PJ. I have a few days off and no pizza crust in the freezer. I will now change that situation. LOVE the now and later pizza crust. Will follow your lead and let it rise in the fridge overnight. Anything that adds more flavor is right up my alley. Happy, Healthy New Year to all my blogging friends at KA!!

And a happy and healthy 2014 to you too, waikikirie – may you enjoy many delicious baking moments this year! :) PJH

4. Leslie b

This looks great! What if you don’t have instant yeast ? How long should it rise ? Do you use the same amount of yeast if it is active dry yeast ( from a health food store, refrigerated, not the pre packaged yeast) ?
    Thanks!

Leslie, use the same amount of active dry; and let it rise the same amount of time (45 minutes at room temp, overnight in the fridge). Active dry eventually catches up to instant; it just takes longer getting started. Good luck – PJH

5. Francine

PJ,
    I love your posts and recipes! Can I use some of my sourdough starter in this recipe? I assume I’d swap out some flour and water, but wasn’t sure if it would impact the texture or rise.
    Thx!

Any changes will impact the final results – consider using 1 cup sourdough for 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup water in the recipe. The choice is yours! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

6. Savannagal

In the post you say to bake the pizza dough until it is set, but not done. Then you say it can be left out on the counter for days, until someone wants to have pizza. If the pizza dough isn’t completely cooked, won’t there be a risk of something going wonky in the dough?

The pizza or yeast bread is baked through, just not browned. It’s best to weigh convenience with your personal food safety methods to decide what’s best for you and your family. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

It’s a savory combination of cheese, garlic and other flavors. When you sniff it, you’ll realize it smells like a pizzaria! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

7. Stephanie

Great minds think alike! I make my crusts a little larger – about 12″, and bought a cake-sized plastic storage container in which to store them in the freezer. Because they’re bigger, they tend to break when shuffled around while frozen. The great news is that it makes a great quick dinner for my family – almost as quick as frozen pizza, but SOOOOOO much better!

And speaking of which, many weeks ago on Facebook, a KAF employee asked what baking tool we’d love to have in our kitchens. I know that a home dough sheeter was mentioned repeatedly. Are there any plans in the works to create and sell one? I’d be one of the first to buy!

While we haven’t tried freezing these, it should work. You may want to use an extra 1/2 teaspoon of yeast. ~Jaydl@KAF

8. Anneedelweiss

Ah – pizza! I make pizza every week. I simply love the concept of pizza as food. One may say a pizza crust is a blank canvas onto which we can design with whatever edible we desire, as a painter is free to draw whatever he fancies. And we get to eat our handwork at the end. How cool is that!

Long ago I didn’t eat much pizza. But it began maybe about fifteen/twenty years ago, a wide array of very good pizzas suddenly could be found in all sorts of places. Pizzerias, ristorantes, bakeries, and even some supermarkets offer pizzas that are far from run-of-the-mill stuff, but often with that special touch in the choice of ingredients, the combination of ingredients, and almost always nicely done and delicious. Some pizzas are so charmingly put together that I can’t help but to pause and admire the aesthetics of it before I sink my teeth into the pie.

Since pizza is such a convenient receptacle for all manner of ingredients the varieties seem to be endless. Some toppings that don’t take well to high heat are placed on the pizza after baking. One idea I like – and easily doable at home – is to scatter micro-greens or baby veggies on the pizza when the pie is piping hot, just before serving. It’s like having my pizza and eating my salad, too! At home, it’s easy to use full-sized veggies made small: thin strips of basil or mint or shiso, hand-torn lettuce, shaved young fennel bulb, curvy strings of scallion, or something with more of a “bite”, such as radish tops.

My favorite bakery in the neighborhood is known for many of their fine goodies, among them their daily pizza. Their pizza is always thin-crust with a hint of sourdough, vegetarian, a different offer every day. The first pizza is scheduled to come out at 11 a.m., but way before then the incredibly alluring aroma of pizza-in-the-oven would have already attracted a line of customers. The bakery has this big bowl of olive oil infused with various fresh herbs – I can see it even from the coffee counter. With a pastry brush the server would dab the hot pizza generously with this aromatic greenish oil before slicing. I unapologetically do the same at home – using a much smaller bowl, of course.

For me, the crust is what makes any good pizza better. Recently I got to try a box of KAF ‘classic pizza crust mix’. The dough was a bit gritty to the touch because of all the semolina, but it came together very easily. I didn’t need to use all of the dry mix. The baked pizza was very tasty, and this crust came out differently from all of the homemade recipes I have tried. What’s in the box? If I use this mix again, I’d want to experiment adding a bit of my own sourdough. I wonder how does this ‘pizza crust mix’ compare with KAF ‘pizza blend flour’?

Happy New Year!

And a happy New Year to you, too – thanks so much for your wide-ranging thoughts about one of my very favorite foods. To answer your question, the pizza crust mix includes soft Italian-style flour, semolina and seasonings; the pizza blend is high-protein durum and all-purpose flours with a touch of dough conditioner and baking powder. So they’re actually quite different; the blend doesn’t include semolina, which gives crust that very slight gritty/crunchy quality. Cheers – PJH

2. Anneedelweiss

PJ, thanks so much for the pizza mix/flour explanation. You guys spoil your customers – and I am grateful for it!

So the KAF ‘classic pizza crust mix’ is more than a box of pizza flour with a packet of yeast. I like this mix a lot – it gives a golden, crunchy crust with a lot of favor, and super easy. But the curiosity in me will want to try the pizza flour next time. No, I am not looking for that ‘best’ crust – I’ve rarely met a pizza I don’t like. Just curious. But whatever kind of pizza there is in front of me I’ll be taking smaller slices, for I have resolved to lose ten pounds this year! (When one fails, one tries again…)

Thanks again for being such a great resource for home-bakers. Already I am counting the days when your April Fool 2014 comes out!

Happy New Year everyone! May all your New Year wishes come true!

9. margie

I was wondering about your thoughts on using The Baking Steel for home pizza bsking. I have two ovens, three large pizza stones, five kids (plus friends)…every one is hungry at the same time on Fridays! Once in a while we break a stone and have to purchase another. And, your partially baked and saved crusts is truely brilliant-less waiting. Oh and my first 5 jars of pizza flavor arrived yesterday, in the bread machine now.

For that cheese commenter, I was wondering if a dairy based, lactose-free mozzarella existed.

I found that it works just as well as a pizza stone in home ovens for pizza, if not a bit better as it heats so quickly. Also, you would be hard pressed to break one, they are solid steel! Jon@KAF

10. Jim

Now I can say my secrets have been published, so additional tips:
    - for the cracker style crust, poking the rolled dough all over with a fork helps prevent the bubbling and you don’t have to open oven to prick crust bubble with knife tip
    - as noted, a little olive oil on the parchment allows the dough to spread-out evenly and adds non-stick, oil also helps keep toppings from soaking into the crust
    - thin crusts can turn to soggy crust with the wrong toppings, we like to not use sauce and choose tomatoes sliced very thin
    - great approach for cooking pizza on the bbq, just make sure to trim edges of parchment to the pizza size as it can char/burn. the pre-cook before topping works great there and guests can choose toppings, put them back on cover to warm toppings and melt cheese