Boston Cream Pie French Toast: Yes, I said Boston Cream Pie French Toast

FrenchToast-14W_750x500

Looking back, it’s been just over a year since we posted our blog on traditional Boston Cream Pie.  We were just a little surprised at the number of folks who responded with their shared love of the cake-not-pie, but so pleased that it brought this great dessert back to center stage.

Since then, I’ve noticed a big increase in the popularity of all things Boston Cream Pie. I don’t think it is because of the blog but rather the blog hit a food trend just as it was growing. Perfect timing, even by accident.

So far I’ve seen cream pie doughnuts, cupcakes, muffins, ice cream and even a martini. Shortcut ice box pies are quite the rage online too.  The recipes that have caught my eye the most were the breakfast recipes though. Boston Cream Pie as pancakes, waffles and my favorite, French Toast? Pass me a fork and head for cover, I’m all OVER that!

Another bonus? I get to use my favorite King Arthur Flour recipes and mixes. First up, a batch of Walter Sands white bread.

img_7294.JPG

Can you use another recipe? Absolutely. I’ve been wanting to try our Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread, it’s another favorite for French toast.

While the bread is baking, make a batch of pastry cream for the filling. You can make it from scratch if you prefer, today I’m using our pastry cream filling mix. Make up about 2 cups worth, you don’t want to skimp on stuffing the stacks of toast.

2-DSCN1450

To make the toast layers, slice 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick slices of bread. Give them a quick dip in a mixture of eggs and milk. I generally wing it on the milk amount but if you want to be specific the American Egg Board recommends 8 eggs and 1/3 cup milk to cover 8 slices of bread.

1-DSCN1447

Dip both sides of the bread in the egg/milk and place on a hot buttered griddle or pan for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  Set aside cooked pieces of toast on a wire rack in a 200°F oven to keep warm if you need to grill in batches.

We’re nearly there. Bread is grilled, pastry cream is chilled, now for the decadent fudge topping.

To make the icing, place 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl or cup.

Heat over low heat (or in the microwave) until the cream is very hot. Remove from the heat, add 2 teaspoons of softened butter and stir until the chocolate melts and the icing is smooth.

1-FrenchToast-14W_750x500

To serve, place one piece of warm toast on the plate, top with a generous scoop of pastry cream and spread to the edge of the bread. Place another piece of toast on top, then cover the top piece with a thick layer of warm ganache icing.  Serve to diners amid sighs of anticipation and delight.

Who am I to kid you? This is a luscious, decadent dish best served for special occasions. I know it would make a Monday morning breakfast extra exciting, but come 10 am you’ll want to take a “happy full tummy” nap and I don’t see the boss smiling as you do. That is, unless you brought extra to share!

**Please note, there is no printable recipe for this blog.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. brenda-from-the-cape

OMG! This looks like it is just plain wonderful. Will have to wait until March/April to try, because I am on a diet. Just wanted to let you know that the photo makes my mouth water, and I’m telling everyone that you are evil. ;-)

P.S. You know I don’t mean it when I call you evil. Just getting my frustrations out. <3

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Oh no, now my secret is out. Everyone will want some of my evilness now, thanks a lot Brenda! :evil:

Honestly, I do hope you give it a try. It’s a special treat for sure. ~ MJ

2. Joy

Although I am not a fan of (gasp!) Boston Cream Pie, I AM a fan of french toast in all its incarnations! I would definitely try this for a brunch… but I might alter the filling to a Banana Creme, and use your wonderful Brioche Bread Mix for the bread. In spite of my lack of enthusiasm for BCP per se, I am VERY enthused to try this extraordinary treat! Gee, it’s fun to be an adult and be free to choose whatever I want to choose for breakfast!!! ;)

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Great idea Joy! Maybe top with some caramelized bananas, or Foster sauce instead of chocolate? mmmmmm! ~ MJ

3. Angela Gilmore

These look too good to be true! I don’t think I can handle the calories now, but I will definitely bookmark this for a time further away from the holidays.

4. Lisa Pozzi

Wow! Boston cream pie anything is my favorite. I will be making these this week! So excited to try these. They look wonderful.

5. Mary

The Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread caught my eye! (For those of you who are ALLERGIC to LATEX, don’t eat raw bananas!!) This yeasted banana sandwich bread is definitely going to be a hit with my extended family. We are plain folksy type people. I’ve already decided to make enough loaves of this bread to give out on Mother’s Day…. mom, aunts, sister-in-laws…. Each one will be asked to write out a simple receipe of how they best used the bread, add name, and toss into a hat. All the gals will get to draw a card, out of the hat, at our next gathering (great-grandma’s 101 st birthday.)

6. Pam

Thank you for the wonderful recipes and inspiration. I hosted five college seniors last weekend and since I didn’t know all the girls’ food preferences, I served all the components separately along with fresh berries and other fruits. Each guest composed a beautiful plate and they raved about everything! I sent home the left over pastry cream and chocolate sauce with suggestions to the girl who likes to bake to look up and try making choux pastry to make éclairs. She was giddy with excitement. Thanks again to all the bakers at King Arthur flour for keeping traditions alive. Pam.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

What a great idea Pam! I’ll have to remember next time the kids are home from school! ~MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

HI Catie,
      I did a little looking online and apparently folks with latex allergies can have food allergies too. Check this out.

What foods are potential problems for people with latex allergy?
      If you have latex allergy you also can have food allergies. The foods most likely to cause this problem include: apple, avocado, banana, carrot, celery, chestnut, kiwi, melons, papaya, raw potato and tomato.

Pretty interesting. ~ MJ

7. Pam

How could I make this ahead of time to take to a brunch?
    Pam, the best thing to do is make up the french toast, sauce, and pastry cream in advance. You’d want to assemble them all just before serving, so: reheat the French toast in a 300°F oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes while you heat up the sauce. Assemble as MJ says: warm toast, cold pastry cream, second piece of toast, chocolate on top, serve. Susan

8. Martha Steward

This confection may be my all-time favorite variation of French toast, and I have enjoyed many. The day I found this recipe, I happened to have part of a brioche loaf already destined for bread pudding, some leftover pastry cream, and a few tablespoons of ganache. I re-purposed these into a lovely and decadent breakfast for one. Thank you for the inspiration!