How to shape perfect turnovers: one simple tool does the trick

Who doesn’t love a tender, buttery turnover, filled with berries or apples or peaches?

Or, in the case of this Asian-style, Lunar New Year turnover, Gok Jai: peanuts and coconut and sesame?

Many of us bake pies – I mean, who doesn’t, at least at Thanksgiving? But when do we ever consider taking those exact same ingredients, and making take-along-friendly “personal” pies (a.k.a. turnovers)?

Probably never. Until lately, I hadn’t made a turnover in years.

And why not? Because it always seemed just a bit too fussy.

Cut the circles (who has a cutter that big?). Try to center the filling (or is it supposed to be off-center?) Paint the edges of the dough with beaten egg. Fold over and hope nothing squishes out.

Press to seal – only it seems I never pressed hard enough, or in the exact right spot, or perhaps my technique was wrong… at any rate, my turnovers inevitably turned into golden islands in a sea of  bubbling, puddled fruit juices; only parchment on the pan saved me from a major cleanup challenge.

But that was before I met this handy, inexpensive tool:

IMG_3317(1)

The turnover maker.

I’m telling you, if you love pie (ergo, turnovers), you need to nab yourself one of these babies. Let me show you just how easy turnovers can be.

gok1

Roll your pie crust into a large circle – for purposes of this Gok Jai recipe, I’ve made a 14″ round.

Flip open the turnover maker (a.k.a. dumpling press), and use its gently sharpened bottom to cut perfect circles. The set I use includes 4″, 5″, and 6″ presses; I’m using the 4″ press here.

By the way, don’t “gather and re-roll the scraps,” as you’d do with rollout cookie dough. Simply push them close to one another, and gently press their edges together; those last few turnovers you cut will be much more tender than they would had you given the dough a workout by squashing and re-rolling it.

Now, here comes the really easy part.

gok2

Lay a dough circle onto the top of the press. Add 1 heaping tablespoon filling. Notice I’m not painting the edge of the dough with water or beaten egg – remember, my mantra is NO FUSS.

Close the press, and squeeze hard. Open the press: abracadabra! The perfectly shaped turnover.

Lay the turnovers on a parchment-lined baking sheet. While I haven’t yet experienced any leakage with this press, I still use parchment just in case.

Bake the turnovers until they’re golden. Transfer them to a rack to cool.

Serve warm.

Or not; these Gok Jai are good either way. Or so my husband attests – I didn’t have a single bite before he spirited them away to share with his fellow volunteer trail workers!

Speaking of, have you shared some of your baking bounty with your favorite volunteers lately? I just signed up to provide “finger desserts” for a book talk at our local library; something tells me turnovers might be on the menu…

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Gok Jai.

comments

1. Quinn

SO glad you mentioned not re-rolling the scraps! That’s the kind of unfussy tip I really love :)
    I bought a set of the little presses to experiment making miniature pasties, but haven’t done it yet. Have you ever tried making those? Either the meat-and-veg or just veggie pasties?
    Thanks for all the helpful ideas and encouragement! I’ve subscribed for a while now, and have been baking more and more :)

Quinn, so glad to hear we’re providing some inspiration for your baking – we love to teach, and we love to encourage. Baking is such a wonderfully sharing activity… I’ve never tried pasties, but I’m sure they’re not too difficult. I think the pastry is traditionally a little sturdier than what we’re used to, in order that they don’t get mashed in the lunch sack. Good luck – let us know how they come out. PJH

2. Kathleen Burns

Thanks for the tip on using the back of the turnover press to make the circles. I have many sizes of these presses, I usually make small meat pastries, but will now try this recipe. Thanks again!!
    Kathleen, Port St Lucie, Fl

3. Doris turlick

Having problem with filling coming out when after closing the press the pastry splits at the back end. What am I doing wrong

It could either be that you have a little too much filling in your turnover, or that the pastry is too dry. You might try “sealing” the pastry with a little egg yolk. ~Jaydl@KAF

Ann, the mold I use is very slick plastic, and between any bits of leftover flour on the dough, and the smoothness of the mold, I’ve never had any problem with anything sticking. PJH

1. katiu

Dee – Just the cooker I was looking for (i.e. I was going to ask that)! Recipe please please please??? Thanks. Kathy H.

Patricia, I guess I was too good a salesman today – we sold out of them. But we do stock turnover presses regularly, and they should be available again soon. Sorry for the delay – PJH

4. Erin R.

I love these little turnover machines! My husb and I have only ever used them to make potsticker dumplings, which come out perfect every time. They really are fast and simple to use and give such exceptional results. I’ll have to give the little turnover/hand pies a bash one of these days.

5. Sharon

I’ve seen those and it looks like it would simplify things. We always called these fried pies, even if we stuck them in the oven. The only ones I have heard called Turn Overs were made with the phyllo pastry. How ever they are made, they are a convenient little pie to pack with lunch, or just a snack.

6. Mary Jane Newlon

I have a set of those and have made cherry fried pies. What is that sugar you have on top of the pies? I thought about putting a glaze on them. What do you suggest?

Mary Jane, I sprinkled some coarse white sparkling sugar on top of some, plain granulated on others, and left the rest plain (always testing!) If you’d like to glaze, a simple confectioners’ sugar glaze is easy and would go well – sugar + enough liquid (ranging from water to juice to milk to heavy cream) to make it pourable. Good luck – PJH

7. Karen

Mmmm! I love turnovers, but don’t make them because of the muss and fuss.

Could you make these up and freeze them, and then bring them out and cook up fresh? How much would I add to baking time? There are only 2 of us and a bunch of cooked turnovers would be a bit much.

Karen, you wouldn’t need to add much time at all – maybe a couple or 3 minutes? It’s surprising how quickly the oven heat penetrates and thaws the thin crust. Enjoy – PJH

8. knhund

Thank you for this wonderful blog! I have gotten a few of these presses lately but was a bit intimidated as I didn’t have a large cutter…OMG, it never even dawned on me to turn the press over. :) These are going to be fun!!!

9. Mary

I too bought the set of pastry cutters, and I’ve had a lot of fun creating both dumplings and turnovers. (I like to try new foods et.al., and worked out the kinks with some new spices.) The house air, this time of year, is dry and warm (furnace.) Then there’s summer heat & humidity to deal with. I find that the dough turns out flakier and more evenly toasted when I put the turnover pastries in the freezer for 10-15 mins. before baking.

10. Kim

It takes me about 20 min to fill and seal 40 dumplings with one of these presses. For ones that need a little water to seal I use a spray bottle of water.
    These presses can be used with all sorts of fillings and dough. They work for (modified) ravioli, potstickers, pierogi, pasties, etc. For dough, pie crust, puff, phyllo, wonton, potsticker, etc. Check out an Asian food store for frozen precut dough. The texture isn’t the same as pie crust, but it depends on what you like.