Chocolate Fudge Cake Bombes: three simple recipes, one great new dessert

CakeBombe-14W_750x500

Have I told you lately… that I love you?  How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Wild thing, I think I love you…

*ahem*. Oh, sorry. You caught me having a private little conversation with the chocolate bar on my desk. What, I’m the only one who talks to chocolate? Ha, I think not. I talk to plants, I talk to my fish, cats, and dogs, so why not talk to my bestest non-human friend? Chocolate and I are off on a new adventure together and can’t wait for you to join us.

As some of you may remember, I’ve recently gotten over my snootiness regarding cake balls. In fact I’ve made several different batches in several different flavors after my gingerbread adventure. I love the silky texture of the interior playing off the snap of the chocolate coating.

But where to go next? I’ve laughingly compressed tennis ball-sized fistfuls of crumbs, saying I was going to make giant cake balls that would take two hands to eat. What if we toned that down just a bit, to domes of stuffed cake; and switched from a crisp coating to a fluffy one? After that, it didn’t take long to come up with these chocolate fudge “cake bombes.”

A simple single layer chocolate cake, a batch of basic ganache, and a mound of meringue makes the fixings for these layered little bombes of goodness. Let’s get started.

Place 1 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Pour 1 cup boiling heavy cream over the chocolate and stir, stir, stir until the chocolate is melted and the ganache is silky smooth.

Refrigerate the ganache for a few hours or up to overnight, to set up. It should be thick and fudge-like.

01-DSCN1385

Reserve about 1/3 cup of the cooled ganache for thickening and binding the cake crumbs.

Using a tablespoon cookie scoop or large spoon, scoop out 1/8-cup portions of the ganache and roll into balls the size of walnuts or large gumballs. Set aside on a plate in the fridge for another 2 to 3 hours, to firm up again.

02-DSCN1387

Bake up your favorite single-layer chocolate cake. I’ve always loved our Cake Pan Cake; it stays so nice and moist, you barely need to add extra ganache for binding.

After the cake has cooled, remove any firm crusty edges and crumble the cake into a large bowl. Add the reserved 1/3 cup ganache, and blend the chocolate and crumbs together until they form a ball when pressed.

1-Choc

From here, it’s a simple matter of assembly. Make a half-shell of cake in the bowl of a muffin scoop. Add one chilled ball of ganache. Cover with more crumbs, press it all together firmly, and unmold.

09-DSCN1464

If you cave to temptation like I did and eat one right away you’ll be rewarded with silky soft cake with a fudgy, rich center. Believe me, it was hard to stop at just one.

At this point you could certainly chill the domes in the fridge for a few hours, then enrobe each in a bath of tempered chocolate. Or, you can go one step further…

10-DSCN1468

And swath each dome in a layer of creamy meringue…

13-DSCN1472

Toast to golden perfection…

12-DSCN1470

And carefully transfer to a plate for serving. I rather missed the “carefully” here, didn’t I?  Trust me, it still tasted just fine.

CakeBombe-14W_750x500

With a little imagination, three simple recipes come together to make something special. As I write this there’s a storm outside my windows, and the local schools are all closed. If you’re stuck inside, why not make something really special with the kids? It would become a day that would stand out in their memories forever.

Oh, and don’t forget to whisper a few words of encouragement and thanks to your chocolate, too. Spread the love.

Here are the links to the recipes you’ll need to make these wonderful bombes of goodness:

King Arthur Flour’s Original Cake Pan Cake; Chocolate Ganache, and Basic Meringue.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Jamie

MJ, I think I love you. Or rather, I love your creations. We’re having ice travel here tonight so that sort of situation requires chocolate and a lot of it. Your chocolate bombs sound like PERFECTION.

Think Baked Alaska here, Susan. Consider 425′ oven for 3 – 5 minutes, watching closely to be sure the treats don’t brown too quickly. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

2. getlostup

These wonderful ideas are so fun & I’d love to add this to my recipe but there isn’t a way, or I’m just not seeing it but I added the recipes you used to make this!! Just would like to know how to keep this & other yummy treats you create!! Sorry for not being able to find out how to save these without being a bother!!! Dawn

Since this blog is a combination of 3 recipes, you’ve done the right thing to save those 3 recipes to your recipe box. To see the process again, you’ll need to use or search the blog instead of your recipe box. Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

2. MaryJane Robbins , post author

HI Dawn,
      To store the bombes, place them in the fridge lightly covered. Remove and let them come to room temperature before serving. Remember, meringue should always go on at the last minute if you are making a batch ahead of time. ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

You could dip them in tempered chocolate like regular old cake balls, or frost with whipped cream. Maybe toss on a few raspberries? mmmmmmmm! ~ MJ

3. Paul from Ohio

Too funny – talking to your chocolate! Hey, hey who doesn’t! And OMG lady you’ve just done a most magical dessert…………..this looks ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmazing! Oh yeah, I’m gonna be making this rightoquicklike!

4. Mary

I’ve saved everything so I can make these for a Valentine treat. Just want to know how many it makes so I’m sure to have enough. Thanks.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Hi Mary,
      It makes about 14-16 large bombes. You can make them with a smaller sized scoop if you need to stretch out a few more servings. ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I think it would work just fine with the GF cake mix. You only need one layer, so you’ll have a bonus layer of cake left over too. ~ MJ

5. Amy

I would like to make this recipe for a dinner party. Can I make the cake bombes ahead of time and store at room temperature? Thanks for a great recipe!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Sure. You can make the cakes without the meringue added and freeze for up to a month too. ~ MJ

I would not suggest melted chocolate. I would try a thin glaze or ganache for a better result. They will need to be refrigerated if kept longer than 4-5 hours at room temperature. Jon@KAF

6. Michelle Douglas

Thanks for asking about the gluten free version, I have a daughter with Coeliac disease and would really like to try this for my husband and children for Valentines Day to show them what a softie I really am.

7. Karen

Look delish, can’t wait to make them. Is there a printable recipe? So I can get the page full of chocolate finger prints,

Sorry Karen, only the recipes used to make the bombs are available to print. The instructions are only available in the blog format. Jon@KAF

8. Erin R.

Is that a propane torch from your garage!? HA! Done that. So much faster than those dinky little kitchen torches.

Beautiful concoction. I’d try talking to one but I’m afraid I’d be incoherent and drooling.

9. Jeanie

This recipe looks yummy! Would like to make it for 20 people. What is the yield for the recipe?

Thanks in advance for the info.

10. Dianne Lee

Seriously, deliriously, outrageously, mouth droolingly, humdinger of a chocolate fix if I ever saw one!!! :) :) I’ve got to make! Thanks for these recipes! :)

11. kdoebling

I love your sense of humor. I always look forward to reading your posts. Great ideas married with a sense of humor. Keep up the great articles.

12. Sri

This looks so yummy that I felt compelled though I had no good excuse…but I’m confused. 1cup chopped choc to 1 c cream seems a pretty high cream to choc ratio, certainly way higher than the ratio you link to here for your basic ganache recipe. I made a batch and it was way too thin, never became shape-able, just a thick liquid that just spread into a puddle on the plate when I tried to portion it out. Would up whipping it up for icing on the leftover cupcakes but now that I’m trying this one more time I’m hesitating to use those same proportions (w my merckens this time) and expect a different result.. Are we sure you mean 1 cup chopped choc to 1c cream? So works out to 4-5 ounces choc to 8 ounces cream? Don’t see how that will set to a shape-able ganache..

This recipe uses a simple ganache (1 part cream to 1 part chocolate) making a ganache that will need to be refrigerated to set it to fudge-like consistency. Then once scooped/shaped, the fudge rounds will need to be refrigerated another 2 -3 hours to set up again. If you’re more comfortable working with a different cream/chocolate ratio you’ll still be able to use our method for the crumb coating and meringue finish. Vive la difference – Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

13. Sri

Made them and they were well-received and tasty but even refrigerated for a day the ganache was not firm enough to be shaped w a 1:1 by weight. I wound up scooping it into the inside of the cake shell which worked ok but was a bit hard to contain. The basic ganache recipe linked to is much higher than 1:1 ratio and expect that would work better for the shapeable balls. Either way, tasty. Just mentioned the issue because instructions say 1 cup chopped chocolate to 1 c cream and that wouldn’t be even 1:1 by weight as 1 cup chopped choc only came to 4-5 ounces for me. I used 8 ounces for each the second time around, was firmer but still never shapeable even w repeat refrigeration. Could use some clarification in the written directions, seems would be at least 2 cups chopped choc for a 1:1 by weight. Thanks!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I’ve updated the blog to read the 1 1/2 cups chocolate and 1 cup of cream. I’m very sorry for the error and your difficulties. ~ MJ