10 Reasons to Visit Us in Vermont: Start planning your summer trip

kaf at night

The summer months are quickly approaching, which means the best time to visit Vermont is nearly here. There’s nothing quite like rolling green hills, surrounded by trees (SO MANY TREES!) and mountains. Ahhh, summer in Vermont.

We’d love you to visit our flagship campus here in Norwich, right across the river from Hanover, NH (home of Dartmouth College). And while you probably don’t need more motivation than the decadent picture of our bakery’s S’more cupcakes below, here are 10 great reasons to add The Baker’s Store to your list of must-dos this year.

Cupcakes_Smores

1. The Baker’s Store, Café, and Baking Education Center

_DSC0035In 2012, King Arthur Flour finished a renovation that put our store, café, and education center all in one beautiful, new building. The new space is a mecca for bakers, foodies, and anyone looking to increase their baking knowledge.

The new campus has an outdoor courtyard, where lunch from our café can be enjoyed with friends or family. The space is also the site of fun events – festivals, ice cream socials, and more. Just yesterday, we hosted a Mother’s Day weekend Brownie and Bar Challenge. Check out this ooey-gooey goodness!

photo (6)

2. Ben & Jerry’s Factory (Waterbury, VT)

ben and jerrysIce cream. Need I say more? Visit the Ben & Jerry’s Factory to take a tour, sample ice cream, and visit the Flavor Graveyard. (I fear the day when my beloved Coffee Heath Bar Crunch gets put to rest.)

If you’re with a group, try the Vermonster. Not for the faint of heart, it includes 20 scoops of ice cream, 4 bananas, 4 ladles of hot fudge, 3 chocolate chip cookies, 1 chocolate fudge brownie, 10 scoops of walnuts, 2 scoops each of the 4 toppings of your choice, and whipped cream.

3. Cabot Annex Store (Waterbury, VT)

Cabot AnnexOnce you’ve had your fill of ice cream, head over to the Cabot Annex Store to get your fill of cheese! Browse their selection of quality products, and sample their award-winning cheeses. Also, in the same complex you’ll find delicious Lake Champlain Chocolates. And finally, wash everything down with some tasty Green Mountain Coffee.

4. Killdeer Farm Stand (Norwich, VT)

killdeerKilldeer Farm Stand is next door to King Arthur Flour. If you like local, fresh, seasonal and organic produce (and really, who doesn’t?), this is the place for you. Killdeer’s fruit and vegetables are always high quality. And if you love flowers… you’re in for a real treat!

5. Dan & Whit’s (Norwich, VT)

dan_whits_2008Head into the town of Norwich to find Dan & Whit’s, a Vermont general store. Their motto is, “If we don’t have it, you don’t need it.” And that’s pretty accurate. You can find anything from food to clothes to household items to pet food. They also carry a variety of Vermont products that make fun gifts or souvenirs.

6. Montshire Museum of Science (Norwich, VT)

montshireThe Montshire Museum of Science is a great place to bring the kids. This museum is a wonderful resource for experiencing science, technology, and nature in a hands-on way.

The Montshire’s exhibits are always rotating, making every visit an exciting one. During the warmer months, enjoy their outdoor science park, woodland garden, and 110 acres of nature trails.

7. Hopkins Center for the Arts (Hanover, NH)

the hopTo immerse yourself in arts and culture, stop by the Hopkins Center for the Arts. The “Hop” offers a variety of live performances, film screenings, and workshops. Stroll around the galleries to see art by Dartmouth College students, faculty, and alumni.

8. Killington Peak (Killington, VT)

IMG_0699-2If you enjoy the outdoors, take a gondola ride to the top of 4,241-foot Killington Peak. At the top, enjoy mountain views stretching out miles and miles. Killington Peak is the trailhead for many mountain-biking and hiking trails.

9. Quechee Gorge (Quechee, VT)

quechee gorgeThe Quechee Gorge is one of Vermont’s most popular visitor spots. Walk over the bridge to enjoy beautiful views 168 feet above the Ottauquechee River. Or hike down, and have a picnic near the water. Just up the road is the Quechee Gorge Village, which offers quaint shopping and dining.

10. Covered bridges

covered bridge

Did you know Vermont has 106 covered bridges? Scattered all over the state, these bridges really are fun to see. Many of Vermont’s covered bridges are still in use, and driving through them makes you feel like you’ve gone back in time for a second. You don’t have to go far to find one, either; there are several covered bridges in the countryside surrounding Norwich.

What are you waiting for? Start planning your summer trip. See you soon!

Natasha Wood

Natasha Wood grew up in Vermont, just down the road from King Arthur Flour. In fact, she started working at our Baker's Store while still in high school. After graduating from Lasell College in 2012, Natasha joined the King Arthur marketing team, where she coordinates baking ...

comments

1. "Paul from Ohio"

Really nice blog – I wish I’d known about some of those ‘places to visit’ when we were up there a couple of years ago. But hey, now that I know, good excuse to plan another visit, right? RIGHT!

2. Heather

King Arthur is on my list of places to stop on our way to PEI next summer. I like the idea of cheese and fresh produce too. Thanks for the tips.

3. Susan Reid

There are so many more reasons than 10 to come see us! I’d like to add some more.

Cold Hollow Cider mill. You’ll pass it just off 89 as you’re on the way to Ben and Jerry’s. Most amazing cider doughnuts ever. Watch ‘em cook, get ‘em warm.

Vermont Country Store. Rockingham exit on 91 as you come north. Awesome penny candy section, as well as all kinds of classic old toys.

Harpoon brewery. We have more craft brewers per capita than any state in the nation.

4. Alan

How are the covered bridges doing? I know the Quechee bridge was washed out in the floods of Hurricane Irene a few years ago, and there were others that were damaged. has all that flood damage overall (including the Simon Pearce factory/restaurant) been repaired?

PS–another favorite of VT is downtown Burlington. Though I love Vermont’s rural feel and quiet solitude feeling, Burlington has such a nice vibe with its mix of dining, culture, people, and brightness.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Alan,
      I’m not very well versed in the bridges, but I’m going to ask around. Phil in Customer Service is a real outdoorsman, I bet he’ll know! ~ MJ

2. Susan Reid

The Taftsville Bridge you saw pictured above is the refurbished, post Irene version. There was a big party for its reopening last summer, thrown by the local fire department. Simon Pearce is up and running and back in business. If you go downstairs to watch the glass blowers in action they’ll tell you how high the water was (almost to the ceiling)! Susan

5. Robin B

I think it is time to plan a trip to your part of the world. It seems to be JUST Right! To spend a couple of days touring……..but ONE catch…..after all that glorious food where is the nearest gym!!

1. PJ Hamel

Oh, trust me, Robin – we have LOTS of gyms around to offset those extra calories! :) PJH

2. Natasha Wood , post author

There are also many biking and hiking trails– enjoy the beautiful scenery and burn of those extra treats. Win-win! –NW

6. YD

We are planning a trip either this summer or fall to VT, King Arthur Flour, Cabot Creamery and Ben & Jerry’s are on our list!

1. Susan Reid

After Ben and Jerry’s you can keep heading north to Smuggler’s Notch, take a hike, and work off the ice cream :-)Susan

7. Candace

My hubby and I want to come from Washington state and take a bread class. Thanks for all the great side trips! We seem to have problems finding classes that aren’t full. Any suggestions?
    Cheers!

I can only suggest to check our calender quite often as new classes are posted frequently, but they also sell out fast! We hope to see you in the coming months. Jon@KAF

8. waikikirie

Thanks for the info. I would love to be able to come up sometime. Now I know of other places to visit. That’s after seeing KAF….

9. Karen

Wow – such a great list!

I’ve visited Vermont several times and have been to many of these, but to me no list is complete without the Shelburne Museum. Not your typical museum at all. It’s an amazing collection.

And, not as morbid as it sounds, the Hope Cemetery in Barre is like a visit to a beautiful sculpture garden. Many of the sculptors – who lived in the area and made their livings creating monuments – created their own and they are wonderful. I’ve never seen anything like it anywhere else.

1. Natasha Wood , post author

Karen, the Shelburne Museum is a fun place to go! And you can’t beat the views :) I have not been to the Hope Cemetery, I’ll have to check it out. –NW

10. KIV

I haven’t been to Vermont in years, but I remember summers on Lake Bomoseen and skiing at Stowe. One particular visit to Stowe was notable for leaving me with 3 pairs of crutches! I also developed a taste for all things made from real maple syrup.
    After 20+ landlocked years in the Midwest, I am finally back east again. Perhaps I can work up a visit in a year or two.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Wow! I’m hoping a visit to KAF will not involve any broken bones to say the least? Broken diets are a specialty though. ;) ~ MJ

11. Robin Wieders

KAF is always on our list of places to visit on our road trip up to New England! Always finding new finds! Also Kimball Farms! Best ice cream….and Kringle Candles! Beautiful places to visit!

1. Susan Reid

Safety, really. At the time they were built horse and wagon was the general means of transport. When the snow is 3 feet deep, and your method of keeping the roads open was to roll it flat behind a horse drawn team, compacting snow on a bridge would create a serious hazard; eventually it would get higher than the railings, and your buggy or sleigh would be at risk. So keeping snow off in the first place was in everyone’s best interest. Susan

12. Diane Scattini

We’re on our way. Grandson getting married in July at Niagara, and we plan to visit all the places you mentioned. Wonderful article. Thank you.
    Can’t wait to see you! Safe travels. Susan

1. Natasha Wood , post author

What a beautiful place to get married! Enjoy your trip, and treats along the way :) –NW

13. Leslie litt

What about maple syrup farms or museums, I am always on the lookout for granulated maple sugar, Teader Joes use to sell it but do not any more
    Maple syrup is pretty easy to find around here, but if you’re looking for a comprehensive tour at almost any time of year, I can recommend Morse Farm just north of Montpelier. They have a lovely little shop and can tell you anything you want to know about sugaring! Susan

14. Sally Freshwater

I’ve never been further east than West Virginia for a vaca. I’d love to see the east coast. I’m fascinated by how tiny the states are back there and then as you go west they get bigger and bigger, it used to take me two days just to get out of California. I finally got out and stayed out but the country back there looks so beautiful. I have a friend that just moved back there to Rhode Island and she sent me a picture of the reddest tree I have ever seen. Gotta come see it in the fall.

15. Leigh

We are signed up for a class June 21st. Thanks for the info on other things to do over the weekend.

16. Babs

Possibly the 11th reason to visit is that all of KAF’s flours are GMO free. Hopefully the state of Vermont will win on the law which will mandate all GMO products!

1. Amy Trage

Hi Leigh, in what location of Vermont are you looking for restaurants? We’d love to help with suggestions! ~Amy

1. PJ Hamel

Leigh, depends a lot on what you want to spend, of course. High end, try Carpenter and Main or the Norwich Inn in Norwich; or Pine, Candelas Tapas Lounge, or the Canoe Club in Hanover. Mid-range, in downtown Hanover, Murphy’s on the Green, Market Table, Molly’s, Salt Hill Pub, or 3 Guys Basement Barbecue. Less expensive, EBA’s or Boloco in Hanover. Enjoy! PJH

17. Leigh

Thank you so much. Those sound great. I’m so excited. We will be there tomorrow afternoon. Is the restaurant at Simon Pearce worth checking out?
    The food is good, and it’s great fun to go downstairs and see the glassblowers in action. Bring a fat wallet, tho…Susan