Pizza Biscuits: Make 'em, freeze 'em, bake 'em, please 'em!

PizzaBiscuits_750x500

Back in the day, one of my favorite expressions used to be “I feel like onion dip.” You may think this meant I felt like eating some French’s Onion Dip with chips, but you’d be off the mark there.

“I feel like onion dip” really meant that I was feeling gray and mushy, the color and consistency of onion dip. Lazy, sluggish, lethargic, beige. Call it what you will, we’ve all had days where we felt like onion dip.

Such days often include eating pre-packaged foods from cans, boxes, and tubes, and copious amounts of bad television. At least they used to. These days I don’t have commercial TV and I prefer to stock my freezer myself instead of relying on Mama Celeste and Poppin’ Fresh to do it for me.

Case in point, these Pizza Biscuits. I’ve kept plain biscuits and scones in my freezer before for quick breakfasts, but not until now have I started keeping these savory stuffed biscuits on hand for days when I want a hearty snack with no effort.

For details on making biscuit dough and details about freezing, check out PJ’s blog, Make & Freeze Biscuits.

You don’t need a special recipe for the biscuits; but I can suggest my favorite, our Easy Self-Rising Biscuits. No need to measure out salt or baking powder, it’s already included. Sometimes I even skip the butter and just use half & half or cream to make up for the missing fat.

Once you’ve mixed up your biscuit dough, roll or pat your dough out to about half the thickness of a regular biscuit and cut your biscuit circles. This way when the two halves are stacked, you’ll have one regular-sized biscuit.

DSCN1883

Take half your dough circles and set them aside as toppers. On each of the bottom pieces, place about 2 teaspoons pizza sauce, a tablespoon of shredded cheese, and your chosen topping. I adore these little pepperoni rounds, and they’re turkey to boot.

DSCN1888

If you have cheese sticks in the house, they’re excellent for slicing and adding. The little rounds don’t skitter about as much as shredded cheese, and they melt quite well.

One tip I can suggest if you’re using homemade sauce is to drain it a bit to remove extra liquid. Thicker sauce tends to stay in the center better, and you don’t have trouble sealing up the biscuits.

Place the biscuit dough tops on, and use a fork to seal top and bottom together. I didn’t have any trouble getting them sealed, but if you need to you can brush the rim of the bottom biscuit with a little water or egg white to help them meld.

At this point you can freeze the biscuits, or continue to prepare them for baking.

To freeze, place the sealed biscuits on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until they feel solid. Stack the frozen biscuits in a zip-top bag, and stash in the freezer for up to a month.

DSCN1886-001Bonus points if you sang that in your head to the tune of “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee.” Yes, this recipe works just beautifully with gluten-free biscuits as well.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Place your fresh or frozen biscuits on a baking sheet, and brush them lightly with olive oil or melted butter. Sprinkle with Pizza Seasoning, Italian herbs, or grated Parmesan cheese.

DSCN1890

Bake the biscuits for 18 to 20 minutes (a touch longer for frozen biscuits), until they’re golden brown. You’ll notice that the biscuits will naturally split where the two halves meet. Nothing beats that little bubble of melty, cheesy goodness peeping out to say “Game on, come and get it!”

DSCN1892

There’s no printable recipe for these pizza biscuits; this is more of a handy-dandy tip for your biscuit baking days.

What else have you been filling your biscuits with these days? How about room, board and three squares – er, rounds – a day?  I know I’d love to have biscuits for breakfast, lunch, and dinner myself!

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. cwcdesign

These look great! Two questions though – do you roll the dough out to regular biscuit height or thinner? And, my mind is maybe a little like onion dip (or at least in a fog) – what other ideas are out there for stuffing. I think these would be a perfect addition to my freezer.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

hi there,
      Oh, I can think of lots of yummy fillings! How about sausage and peppers? Ham and cheese? Ohh, and onions! Not every onion has to become dip, am I right? ;) ~ MJ

2. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Whooops, forgot the part about rolling. I rolled the dough about half as thick as a standard-sized biscuit, so that when stacked, it will equal a “regular” size. Thanks for the reminder, I’ll add that tip to the blog itself. ~ MJ

2. Joyce

I’m always looking for a quick lunch to have at home and these pizza biscuits look great. But 18 minutes to bake them is longer than I want to spend. I guess I need instant gratification at lunch time. How would the pizza biscuits be if I baked them, froze them and reheated them? Would they reheat in a microwave OK?

The King Arthur Blogs are great! I enjoy reading every one of them.
    Joyce

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Hi Joyce,

Yes, the fully baked option would work just fine. Microwaving is a great option, thanks for the reminder! ~ MJ

3. Katie

I am also curious about the height of the roll out. I would guess you would want each layer half the size of a regular biscuit, right?

As for fillings, my Mississippi-born husband has requested a sausage gravy filling.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

4. Pat

Do you think this would work with scrambled egg and perhaps a little bacon or sausage, sort of a breakfast biscuit?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t! Just make sure to slightly under cook the eggs so that they don’t become rubbery when baked in the biscuit. Jon@KAF

Roasted eggplant, tomato sauce, caramelized onions, peppers, basil or just about any vegetable that you like. The world is your oyster (mushroom)! Jon@KAF

5. Simone

I have made a breakfast scramble with this almost exact recipe. I cut them rectangle rather than round, and baked until almost browned. I cooled and froze them…then guess what I don’t have to cook in the morning! Pop them in the toaster on the high setting and out comes perfection!
    I will be trying the pizza biscuts soon. They sound yummy!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

The breakfast version is definitely going on my list too, we can be swap twins. ;) ~ MJ

6. Connie Kent

Thank you so much for the great idea! I am having a music summer camp for some of my students and on Thursday we have a Christmas Party along with a auctioneer auctioning off items they can bid on with their music $’s! We will finish off with a lunch and these seem like the ticket! We are vegan vegetarian as well so I will be doing the veggie options. Another thought is to make the biscuits like pizza dough adding basil, garlic powder and onion powder to the dough along with some oregano. I will top mine with coconut oil and sprinkle lightly with some Herbamare and my homemade vegan parmesan! Since I am in the process of finishing up a vegan vegetarian cookbook called Connie’s Aloha Country Way Vegan cookbook I may use this as an option! Thanks again for your help. Connie Kent

7. Barbara Harkness

I’m so excited about this gluten free option, I will be making them this week. They’ll be perfect for that rainy day .

8. Marjorie

These sound delish. Just wish I knew this when my children still lived at home! I will pass this on to them and they will be able to do it themselves for their children. While my husband and I can enjoy them ourselves. Looking forward to trying this idea, Thanks for the info

9. Dulce

Thanks for this recipe. I love biscuits and this idea looks delicious. I’ll sure give it a try. Thanks for sharing all those recipes.

10. mumpy

yes, i sang it to “sandra dee”…..and now that song is relentlessly rolling around in my mind….so i don’t want extra points, i want REVENGE …..and here it is, your very own version (and 2 verses, no less!)…..so sing along, maryjane….you know the tune!
    Look at me,
    what do you see?
    Neurotic with a melody!
    It runs through my head,
    from morning till bed,
    it’s song insanity!

My poor brain
    is in such pain
    being stuck with this refrain.
    Feel like a loon,
    can’t shake this tune,
    don’t like you MaryJane!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Mumpy, Mumpy, you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind! Hey Mumpy, Hey Mumpy!

Well you came and you gave me a song without taking
      And I thank you today, oh Mumpy
      And you cussed me and stopped me from baking
      And I <3 you today, oh Mumpy!

xxoo ~ MaryJane

11. mumpy

lol…lol….guess i should have known better than to try to our-word a pro writer……but that *$%#* song is still haunting me!

12. Andrea*B

We tried these last week when I got the recipe in my e-mailbox. So easy and everybody LOVED them. We have busy Wednesdays with a whole family of six coming and going and this was easy for me to prep alongside a salad, as I have a go to biscuit recipe that i know by heart. We had regular two inch pepperoni and I quartered these (in a stack) to break them up inside the pocket. On first go around, even though I rolled the biscuits thinner than normal the bread:sauce ratio was still a little off… all to say you may need to make more than once to get the filling proportionate with outside biscuit… but trust me no leftovers either way on this end!!! and I can’t wait to change up fillings,etc Thanks for sharing this!

Happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe! I think I will fill mine with BBQ chicken…or perhaps buffalo chicken. Yum! Jon@KAF