Gluten-Free Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes: on the flour flipside

PumpkinPancakes_750x500

I remember the first time I made pumpkin pancakes. It was while I was working at Shelburne Farms – an historic Vermont destination inn in the heart of the beautiful Lake Champlain Valley. And that occasion was the first time I really appreciated the harmonious medley of maple and pumpkin.

A warm, maple syrup-soaked, tender, pumpkin-y breakfast cake touched with cinnamon is pure autumn morning heaven, and a small piece of quintessential Vermont.

The pancake. An ideal place for pumpkin.

And maple.

And gluten-freedom!

Yes, pancakes are one of the easiest ways to use gluten-free flours. Today, we’ll make these yummy pumpkin breakfast treats with both coconut flour and almond flour.

Combine the following:

2 large eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey (optional but delicious)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir the mixture until everything is blended.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup whey protein
1/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + a pinch each of ground cloves and ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum

Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients. Let the batter rest while you preheat your griddle to 350°F, or heat a heavy-duty frying pan over medium heat.

Liberally grease your cooking surface and drop the pancake batter by generous tablespoonfuls onto the griddle or into the pan. A tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

Cook the pancakes on one side until you notice the edges beginning to dry out. You may see a few bubbles on the surface, but these won’t have as many as a typical pancake.

Gently turn them and cook the other side until firm. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve pancakes warm. With…

…a shower of maple sugar?

…warm maple syrup and melting pats of butter?

…chocolate chips sprinkled on top?

Or how about Plain Jane? These pancakes are flavorful enough to stand on their own merits.

And, these pancakes can go way beyond a delightful autumn breakfast. Will you transform them into dessert, with a scoop of vanilla or ginger ice cream, perhaps?

They’re also versatile, size-wise – dollar-sized cakes arranged in a short stack are perfect for tiny toddler fingers; or for more diner-style service, make them the circumference of your plate.

I hope you’ll fall for this sweet AND gluten-free pumpkin pancake recipe!

Please read, make, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. Amy

Can you replace the whey protein with something else? Does K. Arthur sell whey protein? ThanksI am sorry this recipe didn’t work for you. Please call us at the Hotline (855 371 2253) so that we can troubleshoot together. ~Jaydl@KAF

2. Elza Bester.

We do something similar in my country, South Africa. The most popular way to seve them is with cinnamon sugar. Btw, thanks for all your wonderful recipies. The latest one I did was your Pittsburg Pancakes, it was really delicious. That one is a keeper.
    Have a happy Labor Day,
    Elza Bester.

1. PJ Hamel

Carol, give it a try – I’d add a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil for increased crispness, but other than that, don’t know why they wouldn’t work just fine as waffles. Enjoy – PJH

3. Kim Onofrio

The recipe does not list butter as an ingredient but in the directions you are supposed to combine butter with the other wet ingredients. How much butter?

1. PJ Hamel

Misprint, Kim – the butter was dropped from the recipe, but got left in the directions. I’ve corrected it – thank you. PJH

The whey is added for protein content, and it adds to the structure of the pancakes. Whey powder also absorbs liquid. If you omit the whey powder, you might try adding 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk OR adding 1/4-1/2 cup of another gluten-free flour. Another trick is to add an egg white. The egg white provides structure and actually dries baked goods (and pancakes).~Jaydl@KAF

1. PJ Hamel

You could try substituting 1/3 cup white or whole wheat flour for the almond and coconut flours, Linda; I think it would work just fine. Cheers – PJH

4. Dulce

Hi there! . This sure looks great for breakfast. We don´t have canned pumpkin in Venezuela, but lots of fresh ones year round. So I´ll make a puree, and follow the rest of the recipe. Have a Happy Labor Day.

5. Renee Overstreet

Going to try these this week with Parents. Only find that reading over recipe, that it says to add butter yet no butter amount is mentioned?

1. PJ Hamel

Thanks for the heads-up, Renee – the butter was dropped from the recipe, but apparently not from the directions! All fixed now. PJH

6. Cecil

I deeply appreciate that there is a tiny percentage of the populace unable to tolerate gluten. And, occasional articles supporting great baking for anyone are of interest. However, the pendulum has swung a bit too far away from the world of beautiful baking recipes that are not contrived to be gluten free.

1. PJ Hamel

Cecil, we strive to serve everyone who wants to bake – whether with wheat flour, or some other combination of flours. And the population of gluten-free bakers is growing incredibly quickly. We run one gluten-free recipe a month here on the blog, plus one regular recipe that’s convertible to GF; so I’d respectfully submit that the pendulum hasn’t swung too far, but just far enough, at least for now. In the end, I don’t feel we’re neglecting our gluten-full bakers by addressing the occasional post to our GF bakers; but simply being inclusive. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here, and for listening to ours – PJH

2. Wild Child

Cecil – as one of the “tiny percentage of the populace unable to tolerate gluten” and a King Arthur Flour baker, I appreciate the occasional gluten free recipe. It is hard enough to learn how to cook and bake again, so anytime a company is willing to help it is deeply appreciated. I have been a long time subscriber and I think you will find the number of regular recipes vs gluten free recipes weighs heavily on the regular recipe side. Can I follow gluten free blogs that share only gluten free recipes? Sure, but being born with a food allergy shouldn’t mean I have to give up learning from well respected companies like KAF. KAF is very well known in the gluten free world because they produce quality products and proven recipes.
      Just in case you’re interested here’s a quick link for regular Pumpkin Pancakes from the community section of KAF: http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/pumpkin-pancakes
      Happy Baking!

3. Rose

Cecil, these types of recipes are not only addressing people that need to eat gluten free. As someone that’s pre-diabetic I am off white flour and so I try to use nut and coconut flour where I can and appreciate KAF’s offerings as there are not a lot of good recipes using those flours out there.

7. Deborah

Thank you so much for this recipe! I love pumpkin but 2 years ago was diagnosed with a severe gluten allergy which unfortunately elimated my favorite recipes. You cannot believe how many things are now “off limit” as a result of gluten. I quite often feel excluded because I cannot eat what everyone else is having. Thank you for including gluten free recipes for all of us that have to be gluten free to be healthy!

8. Beth R

Having Celiac Disease has been a rough road, and I have enjoyed so many of your recipes over the past 4 years, and want to tell you how much I appreciate your dedication to our gluten free community. Just this summer I was diagnosed with a dairy intolerance (not just lactose), and my heart broke. So many recipes include dairy. I can work around milk, as their are lots of non-dairy milks, so I want to thank you for explaining how to work around the whey protein in the comments. It is this kind of dedication to your customers that has kept me with KAF for all of these years, before I was g.f., and since my diagnosis.

Beth, we’re so glad we can be of assistance to you and other bakers who have challenging dietary restrictions. We appreciate your comments and continuing support. Barb@KAF

9. Tory

I missed this recipe when it was first posted, but caught it now in your Pumpkin email. I’d like to add my wholehearted thanks to KAF for your inclusion of ‘alternative’ recipes and to you, PJ, for your generous comment above toward all of us who love to bake and will continue to follow you despite our personal restrictions. Although I am not bound by Celiac Disease, I have found that I am healthier (and at a healthier weight) when I follow a low carbohydrate diet. This discovery really set me back as I love to bake, have followed KAF products and recipes for many, many years, and truly believe in the benefits of whole grains. Seeing a recipe like these beautiful Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes really makes my heart soar because I find adjusting the flours to be the tricky part (adjusting the sweetener is a breeze) and here you’ve made the magic for me! So thank you again for thinking of all of us and for the great pleasure it always is to see mail from you guys! ~ Tory

10. e. Hill

I also echo the above comments and appreciate the options to grain free recipes, I can’t have any grains at all and I have not been on KAF for a while ( I still bake for my family with grain flours, but it’s easier when everyone can eat the same) but, now that I know you are occationally adding recipes with dietary restrictions, I will come back more often! It is this kind of dedication to your customers that has kept me with KAF for all of these years. You have always had awesome products to offer, love the openness to change.
    Thank you!

We certainly do our best to accommodate all that we are able to! Working with non-grain based flours has certainly been a learning process. Expect more such recipes in the future. Jon@KAF

11. Beverly

The butter still isn’t corrected on the recipe. I checked on the print option at the end of the recipe, the link above that, and the link just below the picture at the top of the recipe page. Could you please tell me how much butter to add to the pancakes please? Thank you!

There is no butter in the recipe, Beverly. Originally there was, but it was taken out and the directions in the blog still mentioned the butter. This was corrected and now both the recipe and the blog do not mention butter as an ingredient. Barb@KAF

No Xanthan Gum? Risky! It helps hold the moisture so the pancakes won’t be dry and crumbly. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF