classic cinnamon bun mix
Prepare the dough and shape these irresistibly flaky, tender cinnamon buns a day ahead, then bake them in the morning. Or freeze the shaped buns, and bake them later. For even more decadent buns, add cream cheese to the filling; and/or double their size, and baking them in a hamburger bun pan.
- To bake the next day
- Save some time in the morning! These delicious cinnamon buns can be made a day ahead.
- Follow the instructions through forming the buns and placing in a pan.
- Cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- The next morning, remove them from the refrigerator and allow to rest, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake the buns for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make the glaze while the buns are baking. Remove the buns from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before glazing.
- To freeze and bake later
- These cinnamon buns can be frozen for 1 month before baking.
- Follow the instructions through forming into buns and placing in a pan. Wrap the pan well with plastic wrap.
- The day before you want to serve the rolls, remove from the freezer and put them in the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Next morning, remove from the refrigerator and let them rest at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- The buns should thaw and become puffy before baking. If your kitchen is chilly, it may take awhile for them to thaw. Bake and glaze as directed above.
Add a layer of cream cheese…
- Cream cheese-filled cinnamon buns
- Prepare the dough according to package instructions.
- While the dough is rising, beat 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese until light and creamy.
- Combine the filling mix with the 3 tablespoons of water, then beat into the cream cheese until evenly incorporated.
- Roll the dough into a 14" x 18" rectangle, and spread the cinnamon cream cheese filling over the dough.
- Finish preparing the buns according to the package instructions.
Double their size…
- Jumbo cinnamon buns
- Divide the filled log into six equal slices, and place them into the lightly greased wells of a hamburger bun pan.
- Flatten the buns slightly to press them towards the sides of the wells. Allow the buns to rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until quite puffy.
- Bake them in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Finish the buns according to the package instructions.