1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
2) Blend the almond paste, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes uniformly crumbly; this is best done in a stand mixer.
3) Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.
4) Stir in the flavorings.
5) Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.
6) Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners' sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
7) Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.
Yield: 21 cookies.
You're right- the almond paste has 9g of fat per serving, and the pistachio paste as 13g of fat per serving. Experiment with a few tablespoons of gluten free or AP flour should be just enough to minimize that spread. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF
Other customers have tried liquid whites and reported flatter results. You can give it a try and see if that's what you prefer! Happy baking! Laurie@KAF