1) Lightly grease an 8" x 8" baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on opposite sides.
2) Combine the cream, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and boiled cider in a heavy-bottom, deep saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce to medium-high heat and cook until the mixture reaches 248°F on a candy thermometer, 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your particular stove. Want to make a softer caramel? See "tips," at left.
3) Remove the pan from the heat; stir in the salt and spice.
4) Pour the hot mixture into the prepared pan. Let it stand for 12 to 18 hours at room temperature before cutting into 1" squares.
5) To wrap the caramels, use 6" squares of parchment paper. Place one caramel in the center of each square; wrap the opposite edges of the paper around the caramel and twist the exposed edges to close.
Yield: 64 caramels.