1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Use 1 tablespoon of the butter to grease a small (1-quart) casserole, an 8" round pan, or four 8 to 10-ounce ramekins; our individual pie slice pans work well.
2) Tear the toasted bread into small cubes, and place it in a mixing bowl.
3) Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the milk until the butter melts, and pour over the bread. Soak for 10 minutes.
4) Beat together the eggs, boiled cider, cinnamon, sugar, and salt.
5) Stir in the diced apples and cranberries. Pour into the prepared dish(es), and sprinkle the tops with sparkling or maple sugar, if desired.
6) Bake the pudding(s) until golden brown and set, about 30 to 40 minutes (less for individual pans).
7) Remove from the oven and serve warm, with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings.