Preheat your oven to 350°F. Heavily grease or butter 6 individual pie-slice pans, or an 8" x 8" pan.
1) Filling: Whisk together the sugar, enhancer or thickener, and salt.
2) Toss with the apples, crystallized ginger, and boiled cider.
3) Spoon the mixture into the pan(s).
4) Topping: Combine the sugar, flour, oats, nuts, salt, and cinnamon.
5) Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
6) Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture.
7) Bake the crisp for 30 to 35 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.