1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Have on hand an ungreased baking sheet, or line with parchment.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3) Cut in the cream cheese and butter, using a pastry blender, fork, a mixer, or your fingers, until the chunks of butter are the size of peas.
4) Stir in the apricots.
5) In a separate container, whisk together the egg, vanilla and milk.
6) Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened.
7) Turn the dough out onto a floured piece of parchment or waxed paper, and fold it over several times, until it holds together. Pat the dough into a 3/4" thick square or circle.
8) Cut the dough into squares, wedges, or diamonds.
9) Brush the tops lightly with milk and sprinkle with sparkling white or pearl sugar. Place the scones about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
10) Bake for 18 minutes, until the tops are light golden brown. Serve hot, with clotted cream and jam or raspberry curd.