1) Combine all the ingredients, and mix and knead by hand, mixer, or bread machine until you've made a soft, smooth dough.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Or, let the dough go through its first rise in your bread machine.
3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased work surface and deflate it gently. Form the dough into a 14" to 16" oval (batard) or 12" round, and place on a greased baking sheet. Alternatively you may shape the dough into a 9" log and place it in a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan.
4) Cover the loaf and let it rise until very puffy, about 45 minutes. While the bread is rising, preheat the oven to 350°F.
5) Uncover the loaf, and bake the bread for about 40 minutes. The bread is done when its internal temperature registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven (and the pan, if you're using one), and cool on a rack.
6) Remove the bread from the oven (and the pan, if you're using one), and cool on a rack.
Yield: 1 loaf.