1) Preheat the oven to 475°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment.
2) Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3) Work in the butter till the mixture is crumbly; some larger, pea-sized pieces of butter may remain intact.
4) Add the milk, stirring till everything is moistened.
5) Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface (a silicone mat works well), and fold it over once or twice. Pat it into a ¾"-thick square, rectangle, or circle.
6) Cut the biscuits with a round or square cutter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet. Brush their tops with milk or melted butter, if desired.
7) Bake for 5 minutes, then turn off the oven. Leave in the oven for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, till they're golden brown.
8) Remove from the oven, and serve warm with butter and honey, jam, or gravy.
Yield: about 1 ½ dozen big (2 1/2") biscuits, or about 32 smaller (1 1/2") biscuits.