1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
3) Work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. Toss in the toffee crunch until evenly distributed.
4) Mash the banana with the vanilla in a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of the buttermilk or milk.
5) Add the banana mixture to the butter-flour mixture, stirring until the dough comes together into one mass, and adding more milk/buttermilk if needed.
6) Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Flour your hands and the surface of the dough.
7) Knead the dough very gently about 10 times, just enough to bring it together, sprinkling on more flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
8) Cut the dough in half, and press each piece gently into a circle 6" to 8" in diameter.
9) Cut each circle into 6 wedge-shaped pieces with a bench knife, bowl scraper, or spatula.
10) Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet, leaving ½" or so between them.
11) Bake the scones for 14 to 16 minutes, or until golden brown.
12) Remove the scones from the oven, and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. When completely cool, store any leftovers well wrapped, at room temperature, for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: 12 scones.